• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Optional puzzles = "dogshit at the end"?

Skip them, or look at a guide. It's like 2 minutes total for the set of them.
It was the last straw. I really hated the non stop filler or collection missions. I can't stand the inventory system and menu either. I'm at the very end so I will finish it tomorrow but I felt like giving up a long time ago. There were so many problems with this game and it stopped being enjoyable quite a while ago.

I'm not one of these "100 hours of gameplay = a better game" type of person. I feel like they phoned in a lot of the missions throughout the entire game.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
After reading everything about leaving the Hinterlands, I began to get nervous that I was going to ruin my gaming experience by playing the game the wrong way. Then I read that there are only like eight main missions? Is this the case? Is the main quest pretty short? Is there a right way to space out the missions? I'm getting way too nervous about this stuff. Someone please calm me down. Thanks.
The main missions will all have recommended level ranges on the war table so you'll always know whether you're diving too deep with the side stuff. I've been playing on hard and only start the story missions when I hit the top of the recommended level range.

Otherwise, just explore and follow the content you enjoy. People recommend moving on from Hinterlands because a lot of other areas open up not too far into the game and it's better when you can jump between a few regions rather than being stuck with one (though I enjoyed Hinterlands plenty, myself).

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
The main missions will all have recommended level ranges on the war table so you'll always know whether you're diving too deep with the side stuff. I've been playing on hard and only start the story missions when I hit the top of the recommended level range.

Otherwise, just explore and follow the content you enjoy. People recommend moving on from Hinterlands because a lot of other areas open up not too far into the game and it's better when you can jump between a few regions rather than being stuck with one (though I enjoyed Hinterlands plenty, myself).

Thanks man. Good suggestion regarding the top of the recommended level range. I'm going to try to play it that way.

t0rment

It was the last straw. I really hated the non stop filler or collection missions. I can't stand the inventory system and menu either. I'm at the very end so I will finish it tomorrow but I felt like giving up a long time ago. There were so many problems with this game and it stopped being enjoyable quite a while ago.

I'm not one of these "100 hours of gameplay = a better game" type of person. I feel like they phoned in a lot of the missions throughout the entire game.

the inventory and the UI system in general is pretty bad, i'll agree with you.
and all the useless markers on the map really bothers me.

spekkeh

Banned
I do have to give props to Bioware for Cassandra, I think she is one of the most interesting/well-worked out characters they've done in terms of characterizations. Not even as waifu, I feel no interest to romance her.

the inventory and the UI system in general is pretty bad, i'll agree with you.
and all the useless markers on the map really bothers me.
The merchant system was the worst. It was such a bad idea from the very get go. Inventory management and managing weapons, armour and runes was just so tiresome. I also thought the loot in general was bad.

I hated stopping every 2 seconds to pick up a shrub. The loot was rarely worth picking up except for big bosses.

I'd give the first dragon Age a 9 and this one a 6. I never played 2.

Neoweee

I'm up to level 10 on my characters (second playthorugh, first on hard), I'm using two warriors/two mages for my part (sucks I can't get lockpicking). It's been fine, the real test is fighting dragons though. Eventually I'm going to try to tank on my Knight Enchanter and add a third mage or maybe a ranged rogue to the party. Tank doesn't seem to be too important for the dragon fights because they usually do attacks directed toward ranged or a non specific tail swipe/claw attack.

The important thing is to grab some guard generating abilities (charging bull and the non taunt that generates guard seem useful) and setup class combos. I have disabled things like pommel strike and mighty blow and use them manually with winter's bite and the magic missile type spell.

Dragons went down easy enough on Nightmare without resorting to Knight Enchanter. They're good, interesting fights, but nothing that requires your tanks to have things outside of the regular Sword and Shield Warrior toolkit.

End game spoilers

I just finished the game and Solas was all pissy and left without saying anything, is that meant to happen? Or is it because he sucks and i've never used him or did his loyalty mission thing and almost all my decisions ended in him disapproving.

DTKT

The AI is truly awful for the dragon fights. Solas and Varric keep running to the dragon. When I`m not directly controlling my warrior, he has a really hard time actually hitting the dragon.

Ugh. Not fun.

I also think that they could have removed 2-3 zones and spent more time creating a big "zone-event" for each of the 6 or so zones left. Crestwood arc is nice a makes you feel like you had some kind of impact. Without that payoff, you are just a tourist picking plants and shards. The areas look nice but they feel totally empty and devoid of personality.

Slightly worried that the game is not selling what EA wants it to be and this is the last Dragon Age for a while. :(

mr stroke

+1

One of the worst UI's in recent memory. With so much shit loot the menu system makes changing weapons and armor a pain.

RDreamer

The AI is truly awful for the dragon fights. Solas and Varric keep running to the dragon. When I`m not directly controlling my warrior, he has a really hard time actually hitting the dragon.

You know you can tell them to hold a position, right? They'll stay put no matter what if you do that.

T.O.P

Banned
Every fight for me went from "how many potions am I holding" to "just chain barrier lol". Ranged classes putting in work. I would much rather return to the old system of having a healer.

i don't even know if i'm enjoying it tbh, game is still stellar but on Nightmare i'm pretty much doing a quest then teleport back to camp to restock on potions and that happens if i can actually handle the fight all the way, gear wise there's not enough stuff at the beginning of the game...i'm expecting it to get less tedious in about 10 levels or, when you start getting skills that actually matters...right now it's just "keep the tank alive 'till the next barrier or you're fucked, the game"

I think my biggest issue with this game is that on normal the combat is to basic and easy and on nightmare you need to use good tactics but the tactical mode is terrible.

I'm hoping the patch in a better tactical camera and the ability to stack commands. Would make the game ten times more fun. In its current state I didn't really enjoy the combat at all.

yeah, giving more commands at a time would make things much much better

Kinan

End game spoilers

I just finished the game and Solas was all pissy and left without saying anything, is that meant to happen? Or is it because he sucks and i've never used him or did his loyalty mission thing and almost all my decisions ended in him disapproving.

you didnt wait until the end of the credits, i suppose? You should have.

After 92 or so hours, I think I've done pretty much everything I can do with sidequests and end-game content, so now I'm ready to start a Nightmare playthrough with my archer. Going to use Blackwall, Vivienne and Solas this time I think.

Can someone in a non-spoiler way explain the, "Leave the damn Hinterlands!". Will I over-level if I stay in the Hinterlands? Can I always come back and finish the Hinterlands and it not be too easy? Starting the game 'soon'.

Tabby

Can someone in a non-spoiler way explain the, "Leave the damn Hinterlands!". Will I over-level if I stay in the Hinterlands? Can I always come back and finish the Hinterlands and it not be too easy? Starting the game 'soon'.
Yes you'll over level.

Yes you can come back and finish it.

People tend to stay in Hinterlands and finish every single quest before they move on.
You're really supposed to leave after you get 4 power.

Yes to all of the above

So just leave the Hinterlands as soon as the game prompts me to do so, assuming that it will.

I remember a Kotaku article that said something along the lines of other areas pose the same issue. I really hate over-leveling in RPG's it spoils a great deal of the fun.

Lucreto

Was a Scout Harding romance meant to be in the game? It seems to just stop like nothing happened.

I like her personality in the game and if Lightning was like her it would make FF XIII far more interesting.

lumzi23

I've got a

Radeon R9 290 Card
16GB RAM

But a 2500K processor. I know this is the weak point on this.

Dragon age- PS4 or PC?

PC easily. I have a weaker GPU and 8 gigs of ram and the game seems to maintain 30fps. I am on ultra in all settings but MSAA which I turned off (post processing Anti Aliasing is good enough for me). You could probably even turn that on and get much better frames than me.

My CPU is better (4670k) but you would probably do well enough as CPU's from what I understand (from the internet) my CPU isn't much better than yours. Just make sure to get the latest catalyst omega driver for your GPU from AMD's site.

Loke13

Holy shit the writing for Solas and Cole is amazing these are easily the best Dragon Age characters bioware has pumped out definitely my faves of the series.

JeffG

So just leave the Hinterlands as soon as the game prompts me to do so, assuming that it will.

I remember a Kotaku article that said something along the lines of other areas pose the same issue. I really hate over-leveling in RPG's it spoils a great deal of the fun.

You will have reasons to return to the hinterland

So keep an eye on the green clouds on the war table. Select them and read the suggested level.

If you play a completionist type game, then you will probably be overleveled no matter what.

I am on game #3. Each game I pick which companions I will get close too and what stuff I want to do. That way I always have something new to see (I tried to kill a certain companion this time, just to see what happens

Like for this play I am doing, this is my kill all dragon playthrough.

To be fair, this is basically designed for over-leveling. The EXP system is set up to compensate for it, and the game is just too damn huge not to expect it.

jasonng

End game spoilers

You may have missed the very last scene. You can't change that aspect of the ending regardless.

Khar

I do have to give props to Bioware for Cassandra, I think she is one of the most interesting/well-worked out characters they've done in terms of characterizations. Not even as waifu, I feel no interest to romance her.

Cassandra's rad. Sometimes I've felt like my Inquisitor is the sidekick/figurehead ruler to her main protagonist. She's always in my party.

She disapproved of nearly all of my major decisions thus far but the early game conversations were easily enough to make it plain why she reacts as she does.

Citadel

So I'm basically stuck at Therin Redoubt. Playing on Nightmare as a 2H Warrior and I'm getting my ass handed to me because I either run out of health potions or don't have any to begin with.

But at the same time, it's been a very long time since I've actually had to plan my course of action to be as efficient as possible in a game. Feels good.

kai3345

Banned
Just completed What Pride Has Wrought, how much of the main quest do I have left?

Edit - Also, I'm 30 hours into the game and have gotten literally zero "conversation cutscenes" with Solas since arriving at Skyhold. Is this normal?

Zakalwe

Banned
Just bought this for PC. Pleasantly surprised at the performance on my i5 2500k + 670. Mix of medium/high/ultra @ 60fps. The effects during battle look incredible at a solid high frame rate.

About three hours in just exploring the first area and levelling to get a feel for the combat. Love how weighty two handed weapons are, and the mix of action and tactical is just right.

Corny writing, by the good kind. I've missed Bioware, this is the exact game I've been wanting for quite some time.

May even buy a ps4 copy to MP with friends. We'll see.

The merchant system was the worst. It was such a bad idea from the very get go. Inventory management and managing weapons, armour and runes was just so tiresome. I also thought the loot in general was bad.

I hated stopping every 2 seconds to pick up a shrub. The loot was rarely worth picking up except for big bosses.

I'd give the first dragon Age a 9 and this one a 6. I never played 2.

Yes there were certainly many more issues than the combat. But combat is the biggest.

Other issues for me are:
MMO style filler quests
Zones felt kinda soulless for the most part
Pinging is so fuckibg dumb
Menus (all of them)
Gathering mats constantly
Crafting makes loot pointless
Characters wernt that interesting
Story was just cliche meh for me.

On the plus side:
The zones looked really nice
Crestwood was fun
Some banter was amusing
Morigan was in it.

I just started playing divinity: original sin and can already tell I'm gonna love it. Night and day contrast to me as far as a quality RPG goes.

But a lotta people seem to love this game so good for them. Wish I could love it to.

I'm in the Arbor Wilds, so I guess I'm nearing the end? Damn, what a fantastic game. It's no Origins, but I didnt even realize that I've sunk 50 hours into it so far. My only gripes are that the side quests get old fast and it's still kind of a buggy mess. (
Cullen's personal quest is bugged to where he just doesn't show up. Guess Dagna isn't getting those tools.
)

mr stroke

I'm in the Arbor Wilds, so I guess I'm nearing the end? Damn, what a fantastic game. It's no Origins, but I didnt even realize that I've sunk 50 hours into it so far. My only gripes are that the side quests get old fast and it's still kind of a buggy mess. (
Cullen's personal quest is bugged to where he just doesn't show up. Guess Dagna isn't getting those tools.
)

if I were you I would go straight to the main quests

Question: is the animated film with Cassandra any good? I've never played the other games but I may play Origin's considering how great this is, but I would definitely watch the film too if it is good.

Varna

Assassin or Tempest for DW Rogue on nightmare?

I was planning on going Tempest, but looking at the skill list it doesn't seem to go too well with the stealth tree. Also looks like it has some really broken combos that are sure to be patched out. Assassin seems more like an extension of the traditional rogue.

Top Bottom