• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

I've got a load of stuff in my Valuables tab that I didn't put in there, are these just random stuff that you can automatically sell? I don't need any of these random statues and stuff for quests do I? Need to have a clear out but I'm scared of selling stuff!

Ovek

7Member7
Makes sense :) I saw items being put under Valuables automatically; does that mean they are safe to sell? Would kinda suck if the game puts quest or upgrade related stuff in there :/

Don't creature research items go in there? I think they do.

Carn82

I've got a load of stuff in my Valuables tab that I didn't put in there, are these just random stuff that you can automatically sell? I don't need any of these random statues and stuff for quests do I? Need to have a clear out but I'm scared of selling stuff!

gmta ^_^

Where do i find a merchant? only at haven?

There's also one in the centerish of the Hinterlands. Just be careful using "sell all". Make sure to drop your research materials off first (at a table in the room with Josie, just to the left of the door to the war council).

Teknoman

I see why people say to leave the Hinterlands soon after you start exploring. If you dont get back to the path of the inquisitor, you'll be exploring for ever!

Carn82

I see why people say to leave the Hinterlands soon after you start exploring. If you dont get back to the path of the inquisitor, you'll be exploring for ever!

Heh. When I went to The Stormlands I was like "Yes. this area isnt as big as The Hinterlands". And then I went to the Fallow Mire and that's pretty big :(

Has anyone managed to let the AI play Vivienne successfully as a KE? I know the setup and which skills to be set to preferred etc but most of the time during fights she simply spams the standard staff attack and stays ranged. So I dont know if its just better to respecc her to a normal build...

Some Nobody

Eh. Your first time in the Hinterlands is just long enough to get used to everything, IMO. I think the biggest problem is that people didn't take Bioware's hint. After a certain point (around level 6 or so), XP gains slow down to the point that it just felt like you should move on--everything else worth doing was level 8-10, so it seemed obvious to move on. I was actually shocked that people were staying and attempting to do everything after that.

Heh. When I went to The Stormlands I was like "Yes. this area isnt as big as The Hinterlands". And then I went to the Fallow Mire and that's pretty big :(

???? Storm Coast isn't all that big...but Fallow Mire isn't terribly big either. Now, Western Approach and the Exalted Plains? Those areas are enormous.

Pretty sure Fallow Mire is one of the smallest exploration areas. Forbidden Oasis is probably smaller, but it has verticality.

How far is is
Winter Palace
?

It's one of the 'Act II' areas. Quest name is
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts. Costs 30 Power.

Ovek

7Member7
Pretty sure Fallow Mire is one of the smallest exploration areas. Forbidden Oasis is probably smaller, but it has verticality.

It's one of the 'Act II' areas. Quest name is
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts. Costs 30 Power.

Bah it took me hours (for some reason) to collect all the sodding shards in the Forbidden Oasis. :(

Carn82

Ah, did some googling. So, valuables also contain creature research and requisition items. So if you just run by those tables before selling you should be fine.

valkyre

Μan rogue assassin archer is kinda insane dmg output...

My rogue has 79% attack, 160% critical dmg bonus and 50% crit chance...

The dmg is simply ridiculous... I never run out of stamina due to weapon perk, I also have customized the weapon with a 10% chance to automatically cast hidden blades for every bow I throw (leaping shot is a guaranteed hidden blade cast) , stealth is always available after a kill...

its just unbelievable.

Couple all that with mark and rift and you simply do like 100,000 dmg in a mere 20-30 secs... Yesterday I fought a lvl 21 dragon and I dropped him to around 40% health after just 20 secs.... Imagine that just the Mark hit for around 50,000 dmg!

Skirn

Has anyone managed to let the AI play Vivienne successfully as a KE? I know the setup and which skills to be set to preferred etc but most of the time during fights she simply spams the standard staff attack and stays ranged. So I dont know if its just better to respecc her to a normal build...

I only put her magic blade attack (forgot what it's called) and Barrier as preferred in the tactics menu. It's worked fine for me. She casts Barrier at the beginning of a fight and runs into melee range to use the magic blade attack. Occasionally she'll cast other spells, like Freeze.

Ah, did some googling. So, valuables also contain creature research and requisition items. So if you just run by those tables before selling you should be fine.

Tip: Requisition is a way to earn extra power, if you fulfill one another one will just replace it. Its useless since you get so much from sidequests. Your materials are better used elsewhere. Although if you're a completionist/achievement hunter, there is an achievement for doing 20 reqs.

Xeteh

First time playing the MP, and we fail on the easiest diff on the end boss. wonderful.

I played MP once... I was super drunk. We still won. Only thing I remember is that I played archer and I held down the right trigger to victory.*

*Victory did not depend on how hard I held the right trigger.

Isn't Fallow Mire basically just one straight line? That area was tiny.

Yeah, Fallow Mire is pretty tiny. While I wouldn't say its a straight line it might as well be a... squiggly line?

Yeah, its short.

Gvaz

Banned
And third time :|

People keep fucking off to the main quest instead of doing the sidequests

and this fucking rubberbanding is shit. And so isn't the fact that you can get caught on other party members. Party members need to have no hit detection at all.

I only put her magic blade attack (forgot what it's called) and Barrier as preferred in the tactics menu. It's worked fine for me. She casts Barrier at the beginning of a fight and runs into melee range to use the magic blade attack. Occasionally she'll cast other spells, like Freeze.

Yeah Spirit Blade, and you basically only add Fade Cloak to the preferred abilities as this is the other essential ability for the KE. But Fade Cloak is nearly always up (so she does not seem to use it) and she somehow just hesitates to go into close range. I will try to just set Barrier and Spirit Blade to preferred and see how it works...;-)

Skirn

Yeah Spirit Blade, and you basically only add Fade Cloak to the preferred abilities as this is the other essential ability for the KE. But Fade Cloak is nearly always up (so she does not seem to use it) and she somehow just hesitates to go into close range. I will try to just set Barrier and Spirit Blade to preferred and see how it works...;-)

I never got Fade Cloak to work properly, either. She'd cast it but never hit anything with it. Works fine when you manually use it.

Edit:
Does anyone have a good build for Varric? I feel like he's the worst damage dealer I've got at the moment. I've specced him into Explosive Shot and Long Shot, grabbed Poison Weapons and the passives that improve poison. Rest I've dumped into Artificer. I feel like the Artificer tree doesn't work too well with a ranged Rogue, especially for an AI controlled one. He'll just lay down a trap and throw bombs even when the enemies are nowhere near him, thus wasting stamina.

danm999

Finished the game tonight. Spoilers for the ending.

Really, really impressed with the epilogue reveal of who Solas was, the more I think about it. I've played every Bioware game and I'm impressed they can still blindside me like this.

All along, the story emphasised how Elven legends contained elements of truth, but had been mangled just like the story of how Arlathan fell (not to shemlen, but infighting). And suddenly, little pieces starting to click into place. Solas, the Dread Wolf, was somehow indeed responsible for banishing the Elven Gods (whatever they were) as the legends claimed. But it was something he did not intend, or later regretted, and was spending the entire game trying to undo this mistake.

Thus, the manipulation of Corpyheus and the Inquisitor to undo this mess and resurrect/recreate/un-banish these Elven Gods seems to be the true cause of the events of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Having awoken weak (perhaps through that hibernation Ancient Elves had access to), Solas gave the Orb to Corpyheus to respark. When the Temple of Sacred Ashes was destroyed and the Breach opened in the Prologue, Solas had then gone to join the Inquisition to nudge events back on course. And then a whole bunch started making sense.

Why, for example, Solas talked about restoring Elvhenan but seemed totally blase about the plight of the Elves themselves (even being taken aback when my Inquisitor apologising about not supporting Briala's coup at the palace with "why would I consider them my people").

Why his greatest fear, according to the graveyard in the Fade, was "dying alone".

Why he has this conversation with Cole;

Cole: They are not gone so long as you remember them.
Solas: I know.
Cole: But you could let them go.
Solas: I know that as well.
Cole: You didn't do it to be right. You did it to save them.
Inquisitor: Solas, what is Cole talking about?
Solas: A mistake. One of many made by a much younger elf who was certain he knew everything.
Cole: You weren't wrong, though.
Solas: Thank you, Cole.

or this one;

Cole: He hurts, an old pain from before, when everything sang the same.
Cole: You're real, and it means everyone could be real. It changes everything, but it can't.
Cole: They sleep, masked in a mirror, hiding, hurting, and to wake them... (gasps) Where did it go?
Solas: I apologize, Cole. That is not a pain you can heal.

Why he knew how to find Skyhold so quickly, a sight for the Ancient Elves.

Why he asked Varic out of the blue once if Dwarves had legends about "trickster gods".

Assuming I'm correct about any or all of this, pretty excited to see where Bioware takes this in future games/DLC.

I never got Fade Cloak to work properly, either. She'd cast it but never hit anything with it. Works fine when you manually use it.

I havent seen anything like a 1000% weapon damage hit when manually using her either, but I need to look at that again tonight...

Gvaz

Banned
I think I'm done with the MP for a time. this is fucking bullshit.

Also respawning enemies until the commander is dead is also bullshit

also enemies getting stronger if someone dies is bullshit

BokehKing

Banned
Just purchased, playing a shield and sword warrior

Anyway

People who have been playing hours on end, this question is for you, does the lack of healing spells have the impact you thought it would?

valkyre

So I am about to roll a Knight Enchanter for nightmare playthrough.

What exactly did they nerf about this class with latest patch?

Can you still create heavy armor with silverlite and faded-silverlite and generate guard and barrier everytime you swing? Or did they nerf that?

I want to create the most OP build so I can breeze through nightmare on this 2nd playthrough cause I want the platinum and I am a cheap bastard on my 2nd playthroughs. :D

The Exalted Plains is seriously humongous big. I didn't expect it to be as vast as it is. I don't think its as good as the Hinterlands and Emerald Graves (my two faves so far), but its still good.

I'm about 50 hours in, Knight Enchanter mage. I see there are a handful more areas to unlock on my war table, I feel like this game will easily take me into the 100 hour area before I'm close to finishing the storyline. I planned to roll a secondary character (sword and shield warrior, got him up to the Hinterlands on a separate save), but I don't know if I have it in me to play all of this content again. Its just too huge.

Do most of you just start cutting out some of the meaningless side quests? I have a realy mental obstacle with skipping any quest, even the shard collecting. I just need to clear all of the icons on my map. This game is not helping with my problem.

I played MP once... I was super drunk. We still won. Only thing I remember is that I played archer and I held down the right trigger to victory.*

*Victory did not depend on how hard I held the right trigger.

Yeah, Fallow Mire is pretty tiny. While I wouldn't say its a straight line it might as well be a... squiggly line?

Yeah, its short.

Personally I was quite relieved it was so short. Creeped me out.

The Exalted Plains is seriously humongous big. I didn't expect it to be as vast as it is. I don't think its as good as the Hinterlands and Emerald Graves (my two faves so far), but its still good.

I'm about 50 hours in, Knight Enchanter mage. I see there are a handful more areas to unlock on my war table, I feel like this game will easily take me into the 100 hour area before I'm close to finishing the storyline. I planned to roll a secondary character (sword and shield warrior, got him up to the Hinterlands on a separate save), but I don't know if I have it in me to play all of this content again. Its just too huge.

Do most of you just start cutting out some of the meaningless side quests? I have a realy mental obstacle with skipping any quest, even the shard collecting. I just need to clear all of the icons on my map. This game is not helping with my problem.

I was like that on my first save, but when I started my second, I knew which quests were worth doing, what reward was worth it, and what the level progression required so I played the game according to my levels and my main quest lines, not according to the side-quests. (which makes the game much more fun to play honestly)

Tabby

I think I'm done with the MP for a time. this is fucking bullshit.

Also respawning enemies until the commander is dead is also bullshit

also enemies getting stronger if someone dies is bullshit

You know what else is bull shit? Demon Commander. Fuck that OHKO. Who came up with that?

You know what else gets on my nerves? People downing potions when it's not the 5th area.
You. Don't. Need. To. Do. It.
There's recovery fonts at the end of each area.

I was intent on clearing everything until I burned out on it. I finished everything except in two zones and while playing through them I decided to just finish the game. I'd recommend skipping the shards because the reward isn't worth the effort. If you get tired of the side quests, just skip it, outside of the companion quests and main story, everything else is unimportant and devoid of much story.

Hjod

Banned
I was intent on clearing everything until I burned out on it. I finished everything except in two zones and while playing through them I decided to just finish the game. I'd recommend skipping the shards because the reward isn't worth the effort. If you get tired of the side quests, just skip it, outside of the companion quests and main story, everything else is unimportant and devoid of much story.

Yeah, I'm so close to burning out. I can't stop picking up the shards, and it's killing me. But my brain can't handle unfinished quests haha. Loving the game either way.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone here want to be friends on Origin? Maybe we can get some MP going tonight

Origin name is Gvaz, same as here

Arjen

I'm loving the game, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the correct order to play the zones. I'm about 50 hours in, level 16 and advanced through the main plot which was in the 12-15 level range. I still need to open 2 whole zones and have a shitton of quests to finish in the rest of the ones i did open. I'm afraid i'm probably waay to high level for those 2 zones i still have to open up.
I almost wish there was some sort of level scaling honestly.

McLovin

Wait so its safe to sell valuables, because im in act 2 and I haven't5 sold a single one. I keep thinking im going to need them.

Just fought my 2nd Dragon in the Storm Coast. Okay... Knight Enchanter is seriously OP the fight took less than 5 minutes. Debating about starting over with a sword and shield since being this powerful is fun... but the epic dragon fights are not so epic...

Braag

Damn, Fade Touched Obsidian is great (+ guard on hit). I'm playing as 2H Reaver so it comes very handy since my HP is always low.
Apparently Fade Touched Silverite is a better version of it but so far I haven't found any.

valkyre

So I am about to roll a Knight Enchanter for nightmare playthrough.

What exactly did they nerf about this class with latest patch?

Can you still create heavy armor with silverlite and faded-silverlite and generate guard and barrier everytime you swing? Or did they nerf that?

I want to create the most OP build so I can breeze through nightmare on this 2nd playthrough cause I want the platinum and I am a cheap bastard on my 2nd playthroughs. :D

Anybody ? Would appreciate some advise there.

Gvaz

Banned
Now the game doesn't even goddamn load up, it just stays stuck at a black screen. I'm getting more upset by the moment.

Top Bottom