• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Some Nobody

Crestwood dragon's disable move from those lightning circles is wayyyy more annoying.

I dunno. I went in with Fire Resistant Potions and re-spec'd half my party to fight the Hinterlands dragon and I still nearly died fighting it. By the end I was out of potions and half my party had crap health. I just kinda ran into the Crestwood dragon randomly while searching the map, decided I'd kill it. Something like eight minutes later it was dead, none of my party in critical condition. I guess it depends on the person.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I dunno. I went in with Fire Resistant Potions and re-spec'd half my party to fight the Hinterlands dragon and I still nearly died fighting it. By the end I was out of potions and half my party had crap health. I just kinda ran into the Crestwood dragon randomly while searching the map, decided I'd kill it. Something like eight minutes later it was dead, none of my party in critical condition. I guess it depends on the person.

I just whack at them with my KE. Every hit gives me more shield. They literally can't kill me. I mean, sure, the rest of my party are corpses in like, 10 seconds, but hey. Dragons must be slain

Some Nobody

I just whack at them with my KE. Every hit gives me more shield. They literally can't kill me. I mean, sure, the rest of my party are corpses in like, 10 seconds, but hey. Dragons must be slain

I'm not sure how this works for everyone else, but they burn through my shield faster than I can regenerate it lately.

Just beat the game last night at about 50 hours. I liked it overall, but it was a bit of a letdown in the end.

The large open-world areas really messed with the pacing of the story since I did a lot of the missions that were in them before going on to do story missions. Once I finally did start doing story missions faster there weren't all that many and they went by really fast. The final mission came very abruptly for me and was really unsatisfying. I kept expecting something to happen and there to be at least 1 or 2 more after that.

I really preferred Dragon Age Origins structure where each main area has its own main quest that feeds into the main story as well as a bunch of side quests around it (figuring out the king of the dwarves, elves vs. werewolves, etc.). Inquisitions quests felt very separated between the main missions and all the other stuff. I also didn't feel there was all that great of a payoff for any of choices I made, at least compared to DA:O.

Damerman

Just beat the game last night at about 50 hours. I liked it overall, but it was a bit of a letdown in the end.

The large open-world areas really messed with the pacing of the story since I did a lot of the missions that were in them before going on to do story missions. Once I finally did start doing story missions faster there weren't all that many and they went by really fast. The final mission came very abruptly for me and was really unsatisfying. I kept expecting something to happen and there to be at least 1 or 2 more after that.

I really preferred Dragon Age Origins structure where each main area has its own main quest that feeds into the main story as well as a bunch of side quests around it (figuring out the king of the dwarves, elves vs. werewolves, etc.). Inquisitions quests felt very separated between the main missions and all the other stuff. I also didn't feel there was all that great of a payoff for any of choices I made, at least compared to DA:O.

i can almost agree with this... but the gameplay is sogood.gif that i can't be bothered to really criticize the rather lackluster main plot. You also get plenty of story with the companions, and each zone has different story-lines that affect it... i don't know, i find myself agreeing with you, but i can't fault bioware... this game is probably my favorite game of all time. its the first time i put 150+ plus hours into a game in a single playthrough. the pacing of Dragon age origins is clearly better, but this is an over all better game, hands down in my opinion.

Rodhull

I like that structure too but I think Bioware had done it a few times already in games like Kotor and it was maybe getting a bit predictable. Even the Mass Effect games followed a similar structure. Especially Mass Effect 2 with the recruiting of crew members. Although those areas were obviously smaller but more numerous.

This. There's a lot of really good little subtle ways of telling story that they do here. For one, each area has a big quest for you to tackle, that tells the story first and foremost of that area, but also of the inquisition and their path to success. I find things like Crestwood's quest, many of the keeps (especially in Empris), and the story of the Exalted Plains (the war going on there with the backdrop of the history of the area) to be just as good as the main stories. They're different ways of telling story, but they're great.

Then you have some smaller nuggets like some of the Elf Temples and things that you can discover and go through some of the lore, and some of the companions side quests, which are pretty good (Varic for instance).

People complain about it being nothing but MMO stuff, but none of that is really MMO stuff. Are people just really trying to finish each area before moving on? Because that's a great way to burnout on it. The MMO quests, I think, weren't made for plowing right through. They're made to grab one or two here and there while heading to something else or exploring the areas. The pacing in my game has been pretty fabulous, actually.

The zones tell the story. But you don't interact with it in a meaningful way. There are no choices to be made, no consequences for your actions. You just do what random NPC's and letters tell you to do. The Exalted Plains is an interesting window into the Orlesian Civil War but all you do is defeat undead, blow a horn and move onto the next camp to do the same. There is no 'big quest' to tackle, just a series of dull tasks to complete which are part of the overarching story of the zone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I reached the final story mission at around 55 hours, but for some strange reason I feel compelled to more or less complete all of the areas, despite almost none of the content in them being particularly interesting. I'm at around 75 hours now with just the Hissing Wastes left, and can't say anything particularly memorable has happened in that time. It's been a good podcast game, though! The mindless combat really facilitates that and the environments are pretty to look at, so there's that.

I think the game peaked for me with the ball at the winter palace.

The story missions after that were pretty bland, and I really dislike how they've treated the main villain as if he's some kind of harmless gimp after he was presented as such a badass in the beginning.

I think I'll tackle the final story mission and wrap this thing up in the next couple of days. I hope it brings a satisfying conclusion, but from the impressions I've read here, that may not be the case.

The zones tell the story. But you don't interact with it in a meaningful way. There are no choices to be made, no consequences for your actions. You just do what random NPC's and letters tell you to do. The Exalted Plains is an interesting window into the Orlesian Civil War but all you do is defeat undead, blow a horn and move onto the next camp to do the same. There is no 'big quest' to tackle, just a series of dull tasks to complete which are part of the overarching story of the zone.

Yeah. That's kind of my problem with the game. Everything seems to be of such little consequence and there are very few deep and involved story quests. It's not like they skimped on the budget, either. There's a boat load of quality voice acting. It's just used for other things.

Also, the whole Power system kind of fell apart for me around level 10. I've never been short of having enough Power to do anything since then, and now I have damn near 300 with nothing to spend it on. Maybe they should have upped the rewards for the bog-standard War Room missions (seriously, who needs 60 influence or 100 gold?) and made them all cost a certain amount of Power to embark on or something.

Damerman

The zones tell the story. But you don't interact with it in a meaningful way.

what about western approach though? that was pretty excellent in terms of interactivity.
Storming the keep, capturing servis and judging him back in skyhold. What about emprise du lion where you clear out the quarry and save the towns people and then you kill the demon that was working with the red templars? by the end of that, you capture a woman who owned the quarry and sold it to templars, oblivious to the fact that the people of the village would get captured to mine red lyrium.
I think ur criticism is aimed at certain parts, which means on the flip side that you have to give credit where its due.

I wish more maps were like the western approach and Emprise Du Lion. I could not put myself through exalted plains and Hissing waste. The only reason i went through hissing waste was to get all the schimatics. Storming keeps and all the story that was related to it was brilliant game design... i wish they did it more often.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
what about western approach though? that was pretty excellent in terms of interactivity.
Storming the keep, capturing servis and judging him back in skyhold. What about emprise du lion where you clear out the quarry and save the towns people and then you kill the demon that was working with the red templars? by the end of that, you capture a woman who owned the quarry and sold it to templars, oblivious to the fact that the people of the village would get captured to mine red lyrium.
I think ur criticism is aimed at certain parts, which means on the flip side that you have to give credit where its due.

I think it's just how they are handled. When you write them out on paper like that, they seem like interesting stories, but you don't really have to actively engage with any of the quest content except for the conclusion. You just kind of complete them by wandering around and killing dudes like you would be doing anyway.

Damerman

Also, the whole Power system kind of fell apart for me around level 10. I've never been short of having enough Power to do anything since then, and now I have damn near 300 with nothing to spend it on. Maybe they should have upped the rewards for the bog-standard War Room missions (seriously, who needs 60 influence or 100 gold?) and made them all cost a certain amount of Power to embark on or something.

This is a really good point. rather than farming schematics at cradle of suliden, it would have been better if i could use power to send my advisors on missions to get me those schematics, or maybe a chance at finding certain fade touched loot or more gold and influence. i'm assuming the writers didn't want their content to be walled by the power currency.

Damerman

I think it's just how they are handled. When you write them out on paper like that, they seem like interesting stories, but you don't really have to actively engage with any of the quest content except for the conclusion. You just kind of complete them by wandering around and killing dudes like you would be doing anyway.

well, i enjoy the combat system so much that i don't mind "wandering around a killing dudes"...

I enjoyed capturing keeps and the related story content a lot.

The Hissing Wastes is one of my favorite zones from a lore/story perspective. The actual story behind the ruins is pretty interesting and piecing their history together from the scraps you find is the perfect way to tell it. It's a shame so many people get to that zone after they're already burnt out on the game.

BioWare had some ideas regarding power but they didn't make the cut I fear. One of them was that by amassing enough power you could declare yourself divine. Quote from an art director at BioWare:

Another one of those moments that never saw the light of day, but made for some interesting and heated discussion internally. We thought it would be interesting if you gained enough power you could name yourself Divine. It would be twice as hard to do if you played as a male, and for the hardcore player it would twice as hard again to do it as a male Qunari. An effectively game and lore breaking act of heresy. Not even a little bit surprised we backed away from this one.

BeatBoard_DivineHeretic.jpg

Crisco

Banned
Power is sort of like how in Baldur's Gate II, you needed to earn a certain amount of gold by questing to advance to the next part of the story. I think that was the original intent, but they clearly realized that approach wasn't workable with this game and intentionally marginalized it past the introductory sections of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
well, i enjoy the combat system so much that i don't mind "wandering around a killing dudes"...

I enjoyed capturing keeps and the related story content a lot.

Maybe that's it then. The combat is a snooze-fest for me on Normal. I've never come close to losing an encounter even once throughout the game and it consists of me tapping left Ctrl, right clicking an enemy, and hitting Y to focus fire. Rinse and repeat.

Doesn't seem like there's any incentive to play on Hard or above, either. The sheer volume of encounters means that it would be insanely time consuming if every enemy had a bunch more hit points. They are already massive damage sponges for the most part.

Also, they dole out so many potion refresh points in the game that they may as well be unlimited. I know their goal was to make it so they could balance encounters around a finite healing pool, but I think they failed miserably by being way over-generous. At least with healing magic/abilities you had to pay attention or set up proper macros and watch your mana pool and health bars.

BioWare had some ideas regarding power but they didn't make the cut I fear. One of them was that by amassing enough power you could declare yourself divine. Quote from an art director at BioWare:

Reading earlier interviews and previews about the game, I think they had a massively different vision compared to what actually shipped. I think their ambitions just got way ahead of them and they had to quickly fill up the game with MMO-style "quests" to fill up the environments they created.

So is it just my female mage that walks like Caesar from Planet of the Apes in cut-scenes?

She needs to see a chiropractor methinks lol...

Oh....and 60hrs in and just met one Dragon so far...am I doing it wrong?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is it just my female mage that walks like Caesar from Planet of the Apes in cut-scenes?

She needs to see a chiropractor methinks lol...

Oh....and 60hrs in and just met one Dragon so far...am I doing it wrong?

You kind of have to go out of your way to hunt dragons. Some require that you visit an area in a zone that is blocked, then go back to the war table to spend power to open up that area before you can engage the dragon(s).

Oh, and another small rant: There is absolutely nothing to spend money on in this game except for those treaties and such that boost your Influence. Not once did I encounter any piece of gear or schematic that offered an upgrade over what I already had. And I looked. I made sure to search thoroughly through the inventories of every merchant I encountered. The only thing that came close was in Val Royeaux when I visited at level 7 and gear with a required level of 13 was available. Of course, by the time I reached level 13, I already had far better gear than anything they had on offer.

Kimaka

This is why I feel that this game is middling overall. The main story and companion missions are fantastic, but the side content isn't holding my interest. Even though I've been skipping collectable and kill X amount of bears quests that don't relate to the companions, I find myself feeling like I'm playing an MMO where I'm just doing stuff to see a bar fill up and empty my quest journal. I have yet to encounter any interesting side quests where you can impact the outcome in multiple ways like in Origins. Off the top of my head, Origins had the Cammen storyline, the quest in Redcliffe where you can help the barmaid, the one where you help the Dalish elf find his wife, Dagna's quest, and more. Some of these were essentially fetch quests, but were made interesting because the options that were available to you. In DA:I, the quest giver tells me what to do and my available options are to do it or not.

I have yet to encounter any interesting side quests where you can impact the outcome in multiple ways like in Origins. Off the top of my head, Origins had the Cammen storyline, the quest in Redcliffe where you can help the barmaid, the one where you help the Dalish elf find his wife, Dagna's quest, and more. Some of these were essentially fetch quests, but were made interesting because the options that were available to you. In DA:I, the quest giver tells me what to do and my available options are to do it or not.

Totally and completely agree on the side quests. I've just been thinking in Inquisition what sidequests exist that have some kind of variable outcome or some where you can have some sort of choice. And I really can't think of many. I'm not done with the game yet but I feel like while the exploration is nice, they needed to give some substance to all of these areas, beyond collecting junk.

YES YES YES, I FINALLY DEFEATED
Alexius
ON NIGHTMARE OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Level 7, man I'm in love with this game.

Oh, and another small rant: There is absolutely nothing to spend money on in this game except for those treaties and such that boost your Influence. Not once did I encounter any piece of gear or schematic that offered an upgrade over what I already had. And I looked. I made sure to search thoroughly through the inventories of every merchant I encountered. The only thing that came close was in Val Royeaux when I visited at level 7 and gear with a required level of 13 was available. Of course, by the time I reached level 13, I already had far better gear than anything they had on offer.
Most of my best gear I have is all crafted. A lot of the best recipes are sold by the merchant in the Hissing Wastes and in the keep you capture in Emprise du Lion. An they are expensive. Of course, you also need some of the best crafting materials to get the most out of the damage and armor rating.

You kind of have to go out of your way to hunt dragons. Some require that you visit an area in a zone that is blocked, then go back to the war table to spend power to open up that area before you can engage the dragon(s).

Did you buy the box?

Ralemont

not me
Off the top of my head, Origins had the Cammen storyline, the quest in Redcliffe where you can help the barmaid, the one where you help the Dalish elf find his wife, Dagna's quest, and more. Some of these were essentially fetch quests, but were made interesting because the options that were available to you. In DA:I, the quest giver tells me what to do and my available options are to do it or not.

Some zones are definitely a little lacking in multiple outcomes. However, DA: I has:

1. Judgments
2. Recruiting agents (often you'll have a couple options on how to deal with potential agents)
3. War table missions that actually vary based on who you use.
4. Some side quests do have that interactivity. Did you know Lord Woolsey is a demon disguised as a goat? What did you do about the engaged couple in the Emprise when you find the note about the guy killing the girl's brother? What about Imshael? It does seem like Inquisition has less of these Origins' style sidequests but I don't know if that's perception (due to the sheer number of quests overall dwarfing Origins with most of that being fetch) or reality.

I'd say only a few zones really give me the total package, though. Crestwood, the Emprise, the Western Approach are standouts to me. Hinterlands is too big, Hissing Wastes and Oasis are primarily loot zones, Storm Coast has really no story once you deal with the Bandits which is fairly early in the zone. Exalted Plains was a missed opportunity to flesh out the three sides of the Civil War in more than just an ambient way so that the Winter Palace feels more contextualized.

Anyway, this is all said in an "I love this game but if it did THIS it would be an all-time great" type of way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my best gear I have is all crafted. A lot of the best recipes are sold by the merchant in the Hissing Wastes and in the keep you capture in Emprise du Lion. An they are expensive. Of course, you also need some of the best crafting materials to get the most out of the damage and armor rating.

By the time I got the keep in Emprise du Lion, I already had better weapons, unfortunately, and I just make awesome Heavy armor chestplates for my entire party. using the material that removes the class requirement.

I'm working through the Hissing Wastes now, so maybe I'll find something.

Did you buy the box?

No idea what that is. Where's it sold?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exalted Plains was a missed opportunity to flesh out the three sides of the Civil War in more than just an ambient way so that the Winter Palace feels more contextualized.

One thing I'd like to commend them on is that it seems that they made sure to put in dialogue variations to accommodate the order in which you complete the side quests vs the main quests. I went to the Exalted Planes after the Winter Palace story mission, and all of the relevant dialogue reflected what happened there. Nice attention to detail in that respect, at least.

This could have still worked fine if they limited it to human females - the same way they handled becoming ruler of Ferelden in Origins. Guess they figured it was too much work to implement a plotline that only a certain percentage of players would experience.

Xeteh

E
nvy demon
made me load a previous save just so I could level up more... almost level 10 now on nightmare.

That is one of the hardest fights in the game when you're at the appropriate level. Don't feel bad about having to get a few more levels.

Khal_B

This sounds awesome...my Qunari Inquisitor would have gladly taken the role...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Top level of Val Royeaux. 10K. No one can told what's in the box, you see...

Mystery box, eh?

Might as well buy it. I've got like 30k at the moment and nothing to buy. Don't need Influence anymore, because I already bought any perks I might want.

Unai

So, I'm downloading a 274MB patch and after that I will start playing the game.

I'm new to the franchise and I know pretty much nothing about it, so I have a question: How does being an archer feels in this game? I love playing a sneaking archer in Elder Scrolls, and don't like it so much in something like Kigdoms of Amalur (I guess it's because of free aiming and bows that look cool).

I also loved playing as a mage in Dragon's Dogma.

What do you guys say about ir?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? I've never heard of this O_O

I forgot which one it is (Silverite? Stormheart?), but one of the tier 3 metals removes the class restriction, so even Mages and Rogues can equip Heavy armor.

abundant

Well, MP is kind of broken for right now. They should have made this DLC a mandatory download or at the very least let us know a few days before it drops, because few have downloaded it, which makes quick search utterly useless because it will only match you up with people who have the DLC.

Anyone else feeling burnt out? I don't know I want to play but I just feel fatigued....Ive put in 80hrs between two Characters and Im about 60% through the campaign on both of them.

Ric Flair

Banned
I put the game down after beating it a week ago and the idea of getting back into it is really intimidating to me. There's just soooo much to each map. It's a wonderful accomplishment (there's more on one map in this game than all of dragon age 2), and I think they really nailed a perfect balance of lore/exploration/conversation/story, but it's just so much to take on again. Also, i feel like the story for the hero isn't specific enough to what you choose to make yourself in the beginning like it was in Origins, to the point which I feel like regardless of what I make myself it'd be the same experience over again. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I think it's going to lead me to stay away for a few months before giving the game another go. Also, I think I missed picking up a character on my playthrough. I never got that female mage in my group. There were also a few quest bugs that stopped my romance arc I had going. Other than that, amazing amazing game.

Teletraan1

Banned
Anyone else feeling burnt out? I don't know I want to play but I just feel fatigued....Ive put in 80hrs between two Characters and Im about 60% through the campaign on both of them.

Playing 2 at the same time will do that. You are just repeating the early content twice. Who wouldn't feel burnt out?

One thing that makes exploration real annoying is when you just want to get from point A to point B and you have a bunch of stupid wolves/hyenas/ other random animal decide to attack you, forcing you into some brainless fight.

I just wish they made more of the predatory animals act like animals and run away from you and not just blindly attack you on sight.

Lingitiz

This is why I feel that this game is middling overall. The main story and companion missions are fantastic, but the side content isn't holding my interest. Even though I've been skipping collectable and kill X amount of bears quests that don't relate to the companions, I find myself feeling like I'm playing an MMO where I'm just doing stuff to see a bar fill up and empty my quest journal. I have yet to encounter any interesting side quests where you can impact the outcome in multiple ways like in Origins. Off the top of my head, Origins had the Cammen storyline, the quest in Redcliffe where you can help the barmaid, the one where you help the Dalish elf find his wife, Dagna's quest, and more. Some of these were essentially fetch quests, but were made interesting because the options that were available to you. In DA:I, the quest giver tells me what to do and my available options are to do it or not.

Exactly my problem as well. I don't know if I'm spending too much time in the zones or something, but every one of them feels like the exact same thing with a new skin. They all ultimately feel lifeless and boring. I think better ambient music, a day/night cycle with weather, or tighter and actually missions with stories to tell would go a long way. I am absolutely confused that some people are giving this game a pass for having the most rote and boring mission design no different from a Ubisoft open world game. The combat being clunky and boring doesn't help.

aro52

One thing that makes exploration real annoying is when you just want to get from point A to point B and you have a bunch of stupid wolves/hyenas/ other random animal decide to attack you, forcing you into some brainless fight.

I just wish they made more of the predatory animals act like animals and run away from you and not just blindly attack you on sight.

Yup. Especially when you get past em, but then your companions initiate battle. "Unengage! Unengage!"

tcrunch

You don't have to fight everything that attacks you, your mage will usually put up a barrier the moment anything becomes hostile so you can just keep running along till it deaggros with no consequence. Fade Step/Combat Roll or Charging Bull/Stealth will all assist with speeding past enemies.

Ovek

7Member7
I put the game down after beating it a week ago and the idea of getting back into it is really intimidating to me. There's just soooo much to each map. It's a wonderful accomplishment (there's more on one map in this game than all of dragon age 2), and I think they really nailed a perfect balance of lore/exploration/conversation/story, but it's just so much to take on again. Also, i feel like the story for the hero isn't specific enough to what you choose to make yourself in the beginning like it was in Origins, to the point which I feel like regardless of what I make myself it'd be the same experience over again. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I think it's going to lead me to stay away for a few months before giving the game another go. Also, I think I missed picking up a character on my playthrough. I never got that female mage in my group. There were also a few quest bugs that stopped my romance arc I had going. Other than that, amazing amazing game.

Just wait for the first SP dlc to come out, then replay it all again.

You don't have to fight everything that attacks you, your mage will usually put up a barrier the moment anything becomes hostile so you can just keep running along till it deaggros with no consequence. Fade Step/Combat Roll or Charging Bull/Stealth will all assist with speeding past enemies.

Yeah, but its still annoying.

I mean, it would be nice to see some actual behaviors to some of the wildlife. Sure, you'll see some of the predator types going after the foxes or nugs or druffalo but I wish they just didn't attack your party on sight.

BeeDog

Bought and started playing this game today, so far so good. I picked Hard though, but I am starting to believe I'm regretting that choice; every regular encounter with the Templars in the Hinterlands feels like a prolonged boss battle. I keep chewing through my potions and the battles just go on and on and on and on and on.

Is the game supposed to be this hard this early, or am I doing something very wrong? I went for a 2-hander warrior, if that makes any difference.

Bought and started playing this game today, so far so good. I picked Hard though, but I am starting to believe I'm regretting that choice; every regular encounter with the Templars in the Hinterlands feels like a prolonged boss battle. I keep chewing through my potions and the battles just go on and on and on and on and on.

Is the game supposed to be this hard this early, or am I doing something very wrong? I went for a 2-hander warrior, if that makes any difference.

I am a Casual person so I couldn't impart any battle wisdom, but know that you could change the difficulty anytime through the menu.

Top Bottom