• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Footos22

Went back to that Hinterlands level 14 dragon. I'm a level 16. He still kicks my butt. I suck. One of these days I'll get my first dragon kill.

Hinterlands is level 12 i believe.

Crestwood is easier. As is the abysal dragon in the western approach.
beat him with all my potions left on nightmare

dankir

This game is pretty funny at times. The random F bombs always make me laugh.

The Avvar who threw the goats at Skyhold was really out of nowhere. Loved that scene.

Also the scene where everybody is playing cards together was pretty good.

TheHall

That Griffon bow that you get in the elven temple is so OP against dragons.

Shoots three arrows at once, and it seems that every arrow has a chance to proc Hidden blades (if you have that masterwork on your armor)

Ralemont

not me
How well does this game rate compared to other Bioware titles?

I think it's the best Dragon Age, even better than Origins. The most comparable Mass Effect game is 1 with all the planet exploration but Inquisition does zones and exploration waaay better than ME1.

I actually am not a big fan of games with a lot of exploration. It's nice for 20 hours or so and then I get bored, and the issue with most exploration games (like TES) is that once you get bored of the world there's no compelling story or characters to return to. In Dragon Age I'd do a story mission, then go do a zone and a dungeon and get a bit antsy, then go do a story mission, etc, and feel satisfied with the entire experience. It makes me very excited for the next Mass Effect.

Jisgsaw

What are you guys finding to be the most powerful Rogue build? Thinking I'll go Qunari rogue on my second playthrough. (Also is there any cool dialogue for being Qunari? I feel like there should be, having a Qunari be the 'chosen' one and all).

Dual wielding daggers if you want DPS.
Go for Flank Attack and its upgrade, Deathblow and its upgrade, and all passives regarding critical hits. I also like twin Fangs, but it's weaker than those two.
Poisened weapons and its upgrade is nice for the damage boost, but I ended up taken it out because of the lack of skill slots. The passive regarding the crit. hits are also good on that tree.
Stealth is a great skills, as are some of the passives in that tree.

For specialization, I took Tempest and wasn't disapointed. Flask of Fire and its upgrade alone makes that specialization quite good. The passives of Assassin for critcial hits are great though. On the plus side for Tempest, if you're ever stuck, there is the infinite focus ability trick too.

I ended up late game with a rogue with two 466DPS daggers with +21 Cunning/Dex and the Hidden Blades passive. Just spamming Deathblow with Flask of Fire would kill pretty much any mob, and seriously injure any boss.

Went back to that Hinterlands level 14 dragon. I'm a level 16. He still kicks my butt. I suck. One of these days I'll get my first dragon kill.

Try another one; Hinterlands is one of the harder Dragon (compared to its level).

Ricker

Where can I find bear pelts...? If I track the quest,it shows me a marker but if I go there,there is no bears...this is for the Dalish favor quest in Exalted Plains...all the bears I have killed so far,in other regions,only drop hides...

jgwhiteus

Where can I find bear pelts...? If I track the quest,it shows me a marker but if I go there,there is no bears...this is for the Dalish favor quest in Exalted Plains...all the bears I have killed so far,in other regions,only drop hides...

They drop off the gray Great Bears in Emerald Graves (they might be called "great bear hides", despite what they're called for the quest). I got them to spawn by first accepting a side-quest from a soldier at the Emerald Graves starting camp; you end up fighting a Great Bear and her cubs in a cave a bit northeast of the camp (in "Great Bear Cove"), but it didn't drop anything for me. After that, they randomly spawn; one place to fight them is the river entrance to the Rush of Sighs, northeast of the Gracevine Camp (again in Emerald Graves). They drop multiple pelts at a time, so you should be able to complete the quest after fighting one.

Three Great Bears also spawn in the Hinterlands, but they're specifically related to a side-quest there and only drop Great Bear Claws, I think.

What the... I'm trying to romance Cassandra and Iron Bull keep flirting with her during banter.
Even the chantry sisters in Haven were talking about how hot Iron Bull is... and apparently one of them came back to sleep one night very late... .
Stupid sexy Iron Bull, stealing my thunder :/

Haha, I wouldn't worry about Iron Bull. From hearing some party banter (relationships spoiler)
if you don't end up romancing either Dorian or Iron Bull, they end up hooking up with each other...

On the other hand, I didn't end up romancing anyone my first playthrough, yet I still got confronted with a conversation with Cassandra about why I was flirting with her and whether I was leading her on. So awkward! I was just choosing all the friendly, non-romantic choices. I think the game forces that conversation on you to make sure you don't want to romance anyone or something.

Braag

What the... I'm trying to romance Cassandra and Iron Bull keep flirting with her during banter.
Even the chantry sisters in Haven were talking about how hot Iron Bull is... and apparently one of them came back to sleep one night very late... .
Stupid sexy Iron Bull, stealing my thunder :/

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
I'm loving this game and I'm really afraid that I'm going to finish it up too quickly. I just finished "In Hushed Whispers" and I'm about to begin "In Your Heart Shall Burn" after I level up a little bit more.

Based on looking at the number of main missions, it looks like I'm pretty far through the game. Based on what others are saying, I've barely scratched the surface.

Can someone calm my fears here? Any thoughts?

Jisgsaw

I'm loving this game and I'm really afraid that I'm going to finish it up too quickly. I just finished "In Hushed Whispers" and I'm about to begin "In Your Heart Shall Burn" after I level up a little bit more.

Based on looking at the number of main missions, it looks like I'm pretty far through the game. Based on what others are saying, I've barely scratched the surface.

If you just breath threw the main missions, the game is pretty short for a RPG with a huge content reputation (like 30 hours maybe?).
Visit the other locations a bit, and do at least each regions "main" sidequest (these are usually good).

Ralemont

not me

In terms of the main story you are probably ~1/3 done once you do In Your Heart Shall Burn. Maybe a bit more than a third. In terms of the game as a whole In Your Heart Shall Burn is very early (I did it at 15 hours in and playthrough ended up at 90 hours).

Unfortunately the main campaign is just really short. I love the game but it definitely relies on side content to pad out the play time.

If it makes you feel better you're almost to a point where the game opens up and most people put the story on hold for a while and explore. There's definitely nothing wrong with rushing to get to Skyhold.

He doesn't summon adds and his guard depletes in a few seconds with a knight enchanter+spirit blade

Yeah that guard generation was a pain in the ass for my 2H warrior when it was just him soloing. Died when he was less <5% because I didn't have good fire resistance. On the replay, no one in my party went down. Real-time can lead to some widely varied results.

Now I'm at 71 hours, have killed half the dragons, and still have Hissing Wastes and Emprise completely untouched. This is going to be 90+ for me I think.

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
In terms of the main story you are probably ~1/3 done once you do In Your Heart Shall Burn. Maybe a bit more than a third. In terms of the game as a whole In Your Heart Shall Burn is very early (I did it at 15 hours in and playthrough ended up at 90 hours).

Cool - Do I need to worry about limiting the number of "side quests" i do in order to avoid over leveling? I get anxious over everything (even video games) and this has been messing me up a bit. Thanks!

Ricker

They drop off the gray Great Bears in Emerald Graves (they might be called "great bear hides", despite what they're called for the quest). I got them to spawn by first accepting a side-quest from a soldier at the Emerald Graves starting camp; you end up fighting a Great Bear and her cubs in a cave a bit northeast of the camp (in "Great Bear Cove"), but it didn't drop anything for me. After that, they randomly spawn; one place to fight them is the river entrance to the Rush of Sighs, northeast of the Gracevine Camp (again in Emerald Graves). They drop multiple pelts at a time, so you should be able to complete the quest after fighting one.

Three Great Bears also spawn in the Hinterlands, but they're specifically related to a side-quest there and only drop Great Bear Claws, I think.

Haha, I wouldn't worry about Iron Bull. From hearing some party banter (relationships spoiler)
if you don't end up romancing either Dorian or Iron Bull, they end up hooking up with each other...

On the other hand, I didn't end up romancing anyone my first playthrough, yet I still got confronted with a conversation with Cassandra about why I was flirting with her and whether I was leading her on. So awkward! I was just choosing all the friendly, non-romantic choices. I think the game forces that conversation on you to make sure you don't want to romance anyone or something.

Ah ok thanks,didnt go to Emerald yet,still have a few things to do in the plains and then I will grab the war table mission to go there...

Is the new multiplayer DLC a download from the store or is already in the game when you log in?

On the PS4 I saw it in the overview thing where you check the add-on part...it didnt auto download for some reason.

huxley00

I notice a lot of people bashing this game for its MMO qualities. I don't really understand all the hate. Personally, I don't have time to play a never ending MMO, I just don't. However, every few years, I can make the time to fit a few hundred hours into an expansive game (like Fallout 3 for example). Even if some of the questing is very MMO'ish, I think that's completely ok.

A single player MMO that has a specific endpoint is exactly what I'm looking for in some respects.

Ralemont

not me
Cool - Do I need to worry about limiting the number of "side quests" i do in order to avoid over leveling? I get anxious over everything (even video games) and this has been messing me up a bit. Thanks!

I think each story mission has a suggested level range on the War table?

As far as overleveling the optional zones those definitely have a suggested level range so I'd explore based on those.

I notice a lot of people bashing this game for its MMO qualities. I don't really understand all the hate. Personally, I don't have time to play a never ending MMO, I just don't. However, every few years, I can make the time to fit a few hundred hours into an expansive game (like Fallout 3 for example). Even if some of the questing is very MMO'ish, I think that's completely ok.

A single player MMO that has a specific endpoint is exactly what I'm looking for in some respects.

Personally I think there's enough story content in here for a solid 50 hour experience which is perfect for replays.

People like the Dragon Age series for its story. Most of Inquisitions content however is centered around collectibles and fetch-quests with only a handful well-crafted, meaningful quests. The main quest is really shallow, there is almost no C&C and the antagonist is laughably bad.

People like the Dragon Age series for its story. Most of Inquisitions content however is centered around collectibles and fetch-quests with only a handful well-crafted, meaningful quests. The main quest is really shallow, there is almost no C&C and the antagonist is laughably bad.

I can't speak for the antagonist having not finished the game yet, but the quality and number of story related quests is just as good as anything else that has been in the dragon age series, in my opinion. There is a lot of interesting world building and background info on multiple factions.

I can't speak for the antagonist having not finished the game yet, but the quality and number of story related quests is just as good as anything else that has been in the dragon age series, in my opinion. There is a lot of interesting world building and background info on multiple factions.

Really? I think the story has been by far the weakest part. Like bloware's worst story in awhile.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've found a good 3/1 Exploration/Story ratio works for me.

Do 3 or so side missions, then do an inner circle/main mission.

Having said that, I get distracted... and end up doing more like 10/1... lol.

I'm 100 hours deep, just about to go to find the
magical mirror Morrigan has the dupe for...
I've also got 100 power going begging at the moment even after you take away the next requisite main quest power cost....I should never have done any requisitions!!

100% Agree.

I dig the main storyline and especially think the side story quests like the
Time standing still, Emerald Graves manor and the Elven ruins,
build the lore of the world and have some of the most fascinating tales in all of DA's lore... amazingly well done.

There are so many cool side quests and feels to be found in the world, I'm already looking forward to my 2nd playthrough and what else I can find.

abundant

After trying out all of the classes in MP, Arcane Warrior is the easiest to make OP. While the other classes eventually become OP with the right build, the Arcane Warrior, after a few perks, becomes the best tank in the game. Add in the upgraded Fade Cloak + Pull of the Abyss combo, I can easily move up to threatening at level 9, whereas the other class take me until about level 12 to comfortably move up in difficulty.

This is definitely the most barebones story Bioware has ever presented. Even though ME2 was basically one long recruitment mission at least the missions were detailed and involved. The story missions Inquisition does have are great with a couple exceptions, but they're definitely not the focus of the game. That would probably be open world exploration ala Skyrim. Hopefully the next hand strikes a better balance.

Vengal

This game has an insane amount of side content, my first playthrough I ended up skipping almost all the forts and those forts side quests. Really is making the nightmare playthrough feel a lot more meaty.

dralla

Really? I think the story has been by far the weakest part. Like bloware's worst story in awhile.

It depends on how you look at "story". There's so much going on in the world itself that really adds up into some interesting things. I think looking only at the critical path plot as the story is doing it a disservice.

Staf

Oh man, the animation on Loghain's face when he's talking... whoa, boy. The way his mouth is barely lip synced makes him look like a muppet.
The animation in this game is quite poor. It wasn't as visible in previous Bioware titles, yet it was still there, probably due to graphical upgrade.

huxley00

Agreed, there is a lot of world building going on as well as the main quest. I think its pretty detailed and interesting.

It depends on how you look at "story". There's so much going on in the world itself that really adds up into some interesting things. I think looking only at the critical path plot as the story is doing it a disservice.

Exactly. Dorian is an interesting character but is also a great insight into Tevinter society. Bull for the Qun. And Solas really expounds on the nature of demons and the fade. All of those things actually matter as they influence how different parts of Thedas react to and influence the main conflict of the game.

RDreamer

This. There's a lot of really good little subtle ways of telling story that they do here. For one, each area has a big quest for you to tackle, that tells the story first and foremost of that area, but also of the inquisition and their path to success. I find things like Crestwood's quest, many of the keeps (especially in Empris), and the story of the Exalted Plains (the war going on there with the backdrop of the history of the area) to be just as good as the main stories. They're different ways of telling story, but they're great.

Then you have some smaller nuggets like some of the Elf Temples and things that you can discover and go through some of the lore, and some of the companions side quests, which are pretty good (Varic for instance).

People complain about it being nothing but MMO stuff, but none of that is really MMO stuff. Are people just really trying to finish each area before moving on? Because that's a great way to burnout on it. The MMO quests, I think, weren't made for plowing right through. They're made to grab one or two here and there while heading to something else or exploring the areas. The pacing in my game has been pretty fabulous, actually.

The animation in this game is quite poor. It wasn't as visible in previous Bioware titles, yet it was still there, probably due to graphical upgrade.

Yeah, one of my very few issues with this game. I suppose it's somewhat inevitable, considering the scope; no way could they go through and mocap every possible dialog permutation. But still, it's really bad. Hopefully now that they've got a better handle on Frostbite we'll see improvements in future titles.

LX_Theo

Banned
The look on everyone's face when I constantly tell them I don't believe in God

I remember when the Developers were quite adamant about not letting the player in DAI be atheist in any sense. I remember this whole thing on their forums where they tried to explain why not without really saying anything about the game.

I can see why it is now, but I like it better this way having the option.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Exactly. Dorian is an interesting character but is also a great insight into Tevinter society. Bull for the Qun. And Solas really expounds on the nature of demons and the fade. All of those things actually matter as they influence how different parts of Thedas react to and influence the main conflict of the game.

Bull still doesn't have anything on Tallis in Mark of the Assassin - if you're interested in the Qun it's a must-playthrough, imo. More info dropped about the Qun and Qunari society alone in that DLC than we get in any of the full games.

I need to start this on PC, but I am honestly afraid I won't be able to accomplish much in my play sessions. How does this game fair in 1-2 hour chunks? Can one do a fair bit or would it be like Skyrim was and i'd be lucky to complete a full mission if not half of one.

I need to start this on PC, but I am honestly afraid I won't be able to accomplish much in my play sessions. How does this game fair in 1-2 hour chunks? Can one do a fair bit or would it be like Skyrim was and i'd be lucky to complete a full mission if not half of one.

For side quests you should be ok, but main story arcs, you may have to suspend in the middle of a section.

Top Bottom