• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Just finished up Here Lies The Abyss:
I chose to leave behind Hawke. I had Varric on the team and Hawke told me to tell him goodbye, so that was odd. Varric also asked where Hawke was when we left the Fade as if he didn't already know.
Naw, by that point the rest of the party members have already gone through the portal. Only the Inquisitor, Hawke and the Grey Warden were left in the Fade.

UberLevi

Naw, by that point the rest of the party members have already gone through the portal. Only the Inquisitor, Hawke and the Grey Warden were left in the Fade.

But I thought the entire reason I had to choose someone to stay behind is so that the party could get past the Nightmare while it was distracted.

Varna

Give them the skills that dump aggro or let them evade/escape. They tend to be pretty smart about using it when they have to.

And your tank is failing if enemies are frequently sticking on your range characters. No amount of running will help it when a melee enemy has aggro on your casters.

Those skills definitely help but it doesn't really fix the fundamental problem of range characters not using their weapons at optimal range. Yeah, trying to run from me doesn't really help the enemy AI either... but the fact that they do it adds a nice touch. There really is not reason why the party AI can't do that same.

rogue archery or daggers?

Playing dagger Rogue is definitely risky on hard/nightmare. I find setting up multiple kills with flank attacks incredibly satisfying though.

Ralemont

not me
Bad villain gets even worse, dumb reveals follow afterward. It's like a rapidly escalating succession of stupidities, and the later zones are all worse than the ones that came before. And dragons were too monotonous to feel like anything other than MMO elite mobs.

The Emprise is one of the best zones I think.

Well, this game sure opened up. Christ I was sick of the Hinterlands and the stupid go to A, then go to B quests. Moving the plot forward was a huge help, thanks topic title. Plus, my party is finally beginning to feel badass.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But I thought the entire reason I had to choose someone to stay behind is so that the party could get past the Nightmare while it was distracted.

Honestly? That whole thing felt stupid for me. Forced drama. To me, it felt like "Oh NOES we need a Moral Dilemma STAT!" instead of something that's worked logically or something that's executed properly with good emotional buildup.

For me, the game doesn't offer enough, logical justification as to why exactly
I need to leave one of them behind instead of the three of them going through the escape door. The "I'll hold them off" line is such a weak justification, especially the whole scene doesn't exactly offer satisfying reasoning for me as to why the monster need to be fend off to allow others to escape.
It's weak.

Honestly? That whole thing felt stupid for me. Forced drama. To me, it felt like "Oh NOES we need a Moral Dilemma STAT!" instead of something that's worked logically or something that's executed properly with good emotional buildup.

For me, the game doesn't offer enough, logical justification as to why exactly
I need to leave one of them behind instead of the three of them going through the escape door. The "I'll hold them off" line is such a weak justification, especially the whole scene doesn't exactly offer satisfying reasoning for me as to why the monster need to be fend off to allow others to escape.
It's weak.

Oh I agree with that. Even something like how Mass Effect handled it is much better.

Paraphrase of some party banter I heard earlier:

Sera: I was gonna eat these cakes, but the kitchen staff said they were for some of our noble allies.

Blackwall: They should send boxes of dog shit to the nobles instead.

Seems Blackwall hates the nobility.

Here's some high resolution screens I took of my session tonight. Damn this game is beautiful.

lSjb.jpg

The world they have crafted here is just stunning in my opinion.

Edit: They are 4k screens so unless you have a 4k monitor if you click them they will be huge. Right click and open them in a new tab to see them easier and not blown up.

Citadel

Just encountered a weird bug in the Fallow Mire where Blackwall had died, but he was still walking around and in attack position. Couldn't select him and his icon showed him as being dead, but he was still running around with us, except he wouldn't attack anyone nor would enemies attack him.

Strange.

They scale a bit, actually, but there's a cap.

Do only certain mobs scale? I can't recall a single time I've seen mobs scale.

Yes, they do scale, especially random/respawnable mobs. There's a cap in scaling for each zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the sliders for this beautiful elf and now I can't wait to start my 2nd playthrough.

Yes, they do scale, especially random/respawnable mobs. There's a cap in scaling for each zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the sliders for this beautiful elf and now I can't wait to start my 2nd playthrough.

What mobs who spawn from breaches where you have to shut them down?

No, one of the breaches in the storm coast " morrin's outlook". I opened up the level from the war room and it's the second location I've unlocked after the hinterlands.

Jisgsaw

hm, then I might start out archery and then respec for daggers before locking in my specialization. Either way, rogue it is! Thanks!

If you want to cheese your way through the second half of the game, choose tempest specialization. There's a trick to use its focus ability without depleting your focus, so you can basically spam it (save for the cooldown time of the ability that lets you keep your focus).

That actually makes for some weird situations, where some minor bosses (for me it was those from Cassanda's quest, and some keep bosses) are weeker than the mob around them...

What mobs who spawn from breaches where you have to shut them down?

Those most certainly do not scale however. I think it's just random mobs that scale (up to a certain point; you won't see lvl 23 mobs).

Damn, the
Siege of Adamant
was so much easier as a warrior than a rogue. Mowing through pride demons like they're nothing and they can barely touch my health bar. Don't know why everyone is so down on warriors.

Yes. "Leave the damn Hinterlands" in the thread title is basically referring to this.

Basically the area is not designed for you to finish it in one go.

I left the hinterlands though and arrived at storm coast, couldn't defeat the rift enemies " shade" hoped back to hinterlands where I'm doing fine.

That actually makes for some weird situations, where some minor bosses (for me it was those from Cassanda's quest, and some keep bosses) are weeker than the mob around them...

I don't really remember about mobs' level for companion quests. But I guess you're right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some dude managed to kill Hinterland dragon at level 7. 1 hour of full kiting lol.

Fou-Lu

What are you guys finding to be the most powerful Rogue build? Thinking I'll go Qunari rogue on my second playthrough. (Also is there any cool dialogue for being Qunari? I feel like there should be, having a Qunari be the 'chosen' one and all).

So I finally reached Skyhold and met an old friend but
why does the Default Marian Hawke look so different? What happened? This is not the same face as the DA 2 one!

Anyone have ideas? Maybe a char creator formula?

Zukkoyaki

I finally finished this the other night at around 83 hours and I loved every second of it!

It's been years since a game has gripped me the way this one did. I fell in love the world, its lore, and especially the characters. The folks at Bioware are absolute masters of world-building. I also enjoyed the combat, exploration, and the more focused region-based sidequests. Man, I just had so much fun playing this. Hours just flew by!

The game isn't devoid of flaws, but they aren't enough to prevent this from being one of the year's absolute best releases (in my opinion). From a personal perspective, this might seriously be one of my favorite games ever. I liked it that much :D

Darkone

I am 5 hours in and at the Hinterlands, is there a way to heal other from the potions?
On Nightmare they simply ending fast and i have to go back to refill them.

Footos22

I am 5 hours in and at the Hinterlands, is there a way to heal other from the potions?
On Nightmare they simply ending fast and i have to go back to refill them.

healing grenades but wont get them till later.

using your first inquisiton perk on extra potions is a must.

stick with it. once you get to
Skyhold
the game gets way easier.

Darkone

healing grenades but wont get them till later.

using your first inquisiton perk on extra potions is a must.

stick with it. once you get to
Skyhold
the game gets way easier.

Ok, thanks.
Since i have 2 one handed warriors think i will respec one to 2 handed.

Footos22

Ok, thanks.
Since i have 2 one handed warriors think i will respec one to 2 handed.

I stuck with 2 tanks pre
Skyhold

Now i roll with 2 mages with barrier, one being a knight enchanter. my 2 handed reaver and my walking fortress blackwall.

beat abyssal dragon in less then 5 mins without a death.

Get through all the haven stuff and your home free difficulty wise

Went back to that Hinterlands level 14 dragon. I'm a level 16. He still kicks my butt. I suck. One of these days I'll get my first dragon kill.

Top Bottom