• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm level 10 and just got to Skyhold. I finally got around to doing DA Keep online and it gives me the option to import the world state to DA:I. Will this ruin my current save game?

Export to DAI puts a Keep worldstate as the one the game pulls from the internet when starting a new game. There is no other chance of it effecting a game world

huxley00

I'm so happy this game came out around the holidays. I have 5 days off next week and 4 days off the week after...at least half of those will be spent playing this thing, god bless Christmas.

Valus

Is doing the puzzle in the room in Exalted Plains,with the levers,and the lights and that archer statue that turns and shoots at portal looking spheres worth it...?,cant figure it out yet,I got an idea on how now but dont want to spoil more...

You get an amulet that gives +10 cunning from it, if I recall. Took me awhile to figure that puzzle out!

Ricker

It requires you to use the "hold" command, you know the one that barely works.

Thats what I was thinking after I decided to quit and go all the way around...at first I thought you needed to solve it to reach one of the guy Cassandra wants to help defeat...the Business something quest...but you dont...might give a few more tries then.

Switching can be a pain sometimes lol...I was using my main guy and when I decided to switch to Solas,he was still stuck way back on a ladder and the whole game switched way back there...now I check if my guys are behind me when I switch ;)

Just a few thoughts after about 12 hours of play. I haven't played any of the previous Dragon Age games.

• I really like the inquisition table and the perks and advisor missions that happen in the background. It gives a sense of scale to the inquisition efforts.
  • I left the Hinterlands when I started facing level 12 rifts.
  • The K/B + Mouse controls are shite. So is the inventory management.
  • The game looks great.
  • The dialogue is ok, but the animations/camera angles during conversations and the speech timings are very stilted. The dialogue wheel feels a bit wonky to use with the mouse, but the k/b shortcuts are easier to use anyway.
  • This is a very small nitpick - When a higher level character joins my party, it feels odd to have to level them and pick all their skills. These are already fleshed out characters in the world joining the inquisition.

JeffG

This is a very small nitpick - When a higher level character joins my party, it feels odd to have to level them and pick all their skills. These are already fleshed out characters in the world joining the inquisition.
Well, does give you a chance to spec them to fit the party they way you want. Saves you from having to respec them,.

6 of this....half dozen of the other

Diablo 3 has me spoiled (and even that game didn't do a great job), but I wish they could rework the stats interface when equipping new gear. We should be able to see the difference between 10 dex and 10% attack. There's nothing that really tells you how effective these stats are. When crafting I just maximize whatever stat I can with the materials I have. If I knew more about how much of a difference they're making, I could maybe prioritize certain stats.

Goddamnit Bioware you did it again...who in their right mind thought that putting a dungeon within a dungeon was a good idea? I would've rather had the adamant lengthened rather than have to deal with another
long, tedious and boring ass romp through the Fade AGAIN...
. I'm very well aware that this is colored by my own opinion and experience of the Fade in DA:O (so obviously your own mileage may vary). But come on...I mean there was a mod to completely bypass this shit in Origins.

It's definitely the bolded.There's really nothing wrong with this sequence, except perhaps for
Justinia's
voice acting. The true successor to Origins' Fade would be Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts - another quest that overstays its welcome and forces non-standard gameplay elements to complete it.

Diablo 3 has me spoiled (and even that game didn't do a great job), but I wish they could rework the stats interface when equipping new gear. We should be able to see the difference between 10 dex and 10% attack. There's nothing that really tells you how effective these stats are. When crafting I just maximize whatever stat I can with the materials I have. If I knew more about how much of a difference they're making, I could maybe prioritize certain stats.

Yeah, I'm kind of upset that they don't give us attribute point control anymore yet they expect us to factor in attribute bonuses from items.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, I can't be arsed to find these goddamned remaining mosaic pieces. Plus, the last one in the Hinterlands is bugged so why even bother

It's definitely the bolded.There's really nothing wrong with this sequence, except perhaps for
Justinia's
voice acting. The true successor to Origins' Fade would be Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts - another quest that overstays its welcome and forces non-standard gameplay elements to complete it.

There's another dungeon that's even more like Origin's Fade?...goddamnit.

I really wish I could have promoted Maryden Halewell to Voice of the Inquisition, or at least above Varric (who doesn't even sing). There's only one spot for artists, and the best one in the game shouldn't be rotting in a tavern.
get going guys

also there's so many filler sidequests

There are only filler sidequests. (Companion-related quests are their own thing.)

Braag

Is Iron Bull the only one who comments on your new fighting style once you pick a specialization?
With my Warrior I took the Reaver's path and Iron Bull had some hilarious comments about it, (
"You Smell Dragony.."
), I thought it's because he shares a similar style that he commented on it.
But with my Tempest Rogue Iron Bull is again commenting on my new "flashy" combat style.

So I have tried to search for this issue but haven't found it anywhere yet.

Last night when I was playing, the conversation wheel was really glitchy and would stay up even after cancelling out of conversation. It would be translucent and barely visible. Other times I couldn't have conversations due to the same issue.

I ended up quitting and haven't had a chance to see if a new session would fix it but I am curious if others have had the same issue.

I am on PS4 btw.

Braag

Last night when I was playing, the conversation wheel was really glitchy and would stay up even after cancelling out of conversation. It would be translucent and barely visible. Other times I couldn't have conversations due to the same issue.

I ended up quitting and haven't had a chance to see if a new session would fix it but I am curious if others have had the same issue.

I am on PS4 btw.

The conversation wheel can be kinda glitchy at times. In PC version I've had issues with it several times as well. At times the wheel doesn't react to mouse clicks at all, only way to fix it is to ALT+TAB and back, then it suddenly works again.
So I guess the console versions have their own issues with the wheel as well.
I hope they patch these issues sooner than later.

LX_Theo

Banned

I am on PS4 btw.

Did you try moving far away? They tend to stay up until you leave the vicinity of the person.

jgwhiteus

I am on PS4 btw.

Yeah, it's a common bug, and I think they tried addressing it in the latest patch but probably didn't catch all instances.

I play on PC with a controller, and when it happens I either press right-stick to hopefully make the wheel active, or go talk to the person again (pressing A) to make the wheel pop up again.

Dosia

What is best way to get perk points? I have played for like 20 hours and am lvl 13 and I only have 4 perk points. Is there a quicker way to get these? Trying to get deft hands.

Xeteh

What is best way to get perk points? I have played for like 20 hours and am lvl 13 and I only have 4 perk points. Is there a quicker way to get these? Trying to get deft hands.

Agents increase how many points you have in the category. So you could get Deft Hands with 1 point if you have 4 Agents in Secrets.

Also there's a vendor in Skyhold, I can't remember if you need to unlock him through a War Table mission or something or if he's always there, but he sells items that give influence.

Tabby

Agents increase how many points you have in the category. So you could get Deft Hands with 1 point if you have 4 Agents in Secrets.

Also there's a vendor in Skyhold, I can't remember if you need to unlock him through a War Table mission or something or if he's always there, but he sells items that give influence.
You unlock him via a War Table mission called Power For A Price.
There's an exploit you can do that makes out Influence Level (giving you a bunch of perk points) and power.

Spoiler if interested.
Buy and sell the contracts without leaving the menu.

Xeteh

There's an exploit you can do that makes out Influence Level (giving you a bunch of perk points) and power.

Spoiler if interested.

Thanks for the mission name, I was pretty sure it came from one. Figures about the exploit. I knew you could do that with the Skyhold customization vendor in VR as well.

The conversation wheel can be kinda glitchy at times. In PC version I've had issues with it several times as well. At times the wheel doesn't react to mouse clicks at all, only way to fix it is to ALT+TAB and back, then it suddenly works again.
So I guess the console versions have their own issues with the wheel as well.
I hope they patch these issues sooner than later.

Did you try moving far away? They tend to stay up until you leave the vicinity of the person.

Yeah, it's a common bug, and I think they tried addressing it in the latest patch but probably didn't catch all instances.

I play on PC with a controller, and when it happens I either press right-stick to hopefully make the wheel active, or go talk to the person again (pressing A) to make the wheel pop up again.

Thanks for all the replies! I will check it out again tonight and see if it was something to do with my session last night. I hope they do fix this because it was really odd and drove me to quit for the night.

Dosia

Spoiler if interested.

Thx. I have no shame using this exploit.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is there a way to tell how many missions you've got left and once you complete the story missions can you still continue to explore more places?

I just searched for a list of story missions. The names are pretty vague so you really aren't going to spoil anything.

And yeah from what I've read you can still finish things up after you've completed the story but they say the world state is much different after that.

So, i just started "Doom upon all the world" and it seems certainly... succinct.
Fight with Corypheus right off the bat, I had to turn it off but, is there something more to this mission or is that it? I'm pretty sure you've still got to choose a Divine but I assume that is more of an epilogue?

abundant

Just found the best one handed weapon in MP, Caliban. It does the most base damage of any one handed weapon + 16% Heal on Kill + 17% Attack + 5% Extra damage for every enemy with 8 meters. With this sword, I brute forced my way through the Red Templar Commander and his minions by myself.

leng jai

The amount of filler content in this game makes me glad I didn't buy this on PS4. I would have been compelled to platinum this and that would have just ended in tears.

The amount of filler content in this game makes me glad I didn't buy this on PS4. I would have been compelled to platinum this and that would have just ended in tears.

Haha, same with it being on Steam. I couldn't give a shit about Origin achievements, but I might have been compelled to pursue them on Steam or PS4.

tcrunch

So, i just started "Doom upon all the world" and it seems certainly... succinct.
Fight with Corypheus right off the bat, I had to turn it off but, is there something more to this mission or is that it? I'm pretty sure you've still got to choose a Divine but I assume that is more of an epilogue?

Nope, that's all there is. The rest is epilogue cards.

Ralemont

not me

It's not bad. 90 hour Platinum and most of it I would have done anyway first playthrough.

There's an alternate scenario where
the dragon cutscene is replaced by a 10 minute loading screen, and when the game resumes Cory stops attacking and lets your party pummel him to dust with a tiny sliver of health that never depletes, forcing you to reload your save.

Oh wait that's a bug.

Nope, that's all there is. The rest is epilogue cards.

I see, thanks.

Well, I can now see why people say the main story is short.

This afternoon I thought I had two more main missions left 'The final piece' and 'Doom upon all the world' and turns out I'm about to finish. I know that DLC will eventually mitigate this but it's certainly disappointing, I would have traded two or three areas for at least one more fully fledged story mission. I keep hoping BioWare goes back to the suicide mission formula from ME2, it's the only way IMO to do justice to these epic stories.

Ushay

Shit, the Dragons Bane achievement is bugged :(

Is Bioware aware of this, ie is a fix being planned?

Anyway, completed it last night. Well worth the money I spent on it, GOTY for me by a mile (though I haven't played Mordor yet). I am STOKED for the expansion or sequel the game eventually gets. Bioware is back baby!

Aren't sidequests by definition filler? They are non-mandatory and meant to flesh out the game.

No. Look at games like Fallout: New Vegas or The Witcher 2. They both have excellent side-quests with investigation, meaningful dialogue and C&C. Inquisition has NONE of those. In The Hinterlands I was both amazed and horrified at how beautiful and bland it is at the same time.

Justinia's

Ha, I just started that quest last night and was thinking the voice acting was especially bad, irregardless of any accent. In general I've found that some of the voice acting can be really bad for a BioWare game with a lot of the minor NPCs in Inquisition.

I see, thanks.

Well, I can now see why people say the main story is short.

This afternoon I thought I had two more main missions left 'The final piece' and 'Doom upon all the world' and turns out I'm about to finish. I know that DLC will eventually mitigate this but it's certainly disappointing, I would have traded two or three areas for at least one more fully fledged story mission. I keep hoping BioWare goes back to the suicide mission formula from ME2, it's the only way IMO to do justice to these epic stories.

I thought Origins did it pretty well too.

But I think a big part of the problem with Inquisition, for me thus far anyway, is just how much of a gap there is in the presentation of the story between your main story quests and everything else. The companion quests and main story quests have the usual BioWare cinematic presentation and approach but just about everything else is about as generic, bare bones MMO look as you can possibly get- from the generic side quests in the world being almost devoid of any story or narrative outside of what you find in notes to the way those conversations are barely framed in any sort of zoomed in cinematic view.

I think that's a big part of the reason the main story stuff feels so insignificant is because if you're grinding away on the overload of Ubisoft style fetch quests out in the world, that's a huge chunk of your play time compared to the story heavy stuff, which usually the meat and potatoes of a BioWare game. With Origins, you went to each area with the main purpose of pushing the main story forward and every NPC interaction got you the zoomed in camera for conversations, so they all felt somewhat engaging. Whereas with Inquisition, half of the time you're talking to someone its in that bland over the shoulder view that glitches out most of the time and it just kills my interest in those conversations when you have either your party members running around like idiots stuck on the geometry in the background or the NPC you're talking to is facing the wrong way. It makes it feel like a really cheap MMO, not a proper modern BioWare game.

Was finally able to connect to the servers and import my world state. I mostly just chose options at random and probably will have no idea whether the world state takes not, but dammit it was important that it worked.

My character looks pretty good from the front but like a goddamn troll in profile. Not really sure how to fix it so I think I'm going to roll with it. All of the characters look like clay painted over a wireframe anyway so it won't be like she stands out. Excited to dig into this after work.

I thought Origins did it pretty well too.

But I think a big part of the problem with Inquisition, for me thus far anyway, is just how much of a gap there is in the presentation of the story between your main story quests and everything else. The companion quests and main story quests have the usual BioWare cinematic presentation and approach but just about everything else is about as generic, bare bones MMO look as you can possibly get- from the generic side quests in the world being almost devoid of any story or narrative outside of what you find in notes to the way those conversations are barely framed in any sort of zoomed in cinematic view.

I think that's a big part of the reason the main story stuff feels so insignificant is because if you're grinding away on the overload of Ubisoft style fetch quests out in the world, that's a huge chunk of your play time compared to the story heavy stuff, which usually the meat and potatoes of a BioWare game. With Origins, you went to each area with the main purpose of pushing the main story forward and every NPC interaction got you the zoomed in camera for conversations, so they all felt somewhat engaging. Whereas with Inquisition, half of the time you're talking to someone its in that bland over the shoulder view that glitches out most of the time and it just kills my interest in those conversations when you have either your party members running around like idiots stuck on the geometry in the background or the NPC you're talking to is facing the wrong way. It makes it feel like a really cheap MMO, not a proper modern BioWare game.
I agree, I actually burned out pretty fast from the tertiary stuff (shards, rifts, requisitions etc.) and decided to strictly do the "main" sidequest in each area for worthwhile rewards (agents, power, judgement etc.) and while I'm actually pretty happy with the game (Goty here) I have to recognize the shortness of the main story has pretty much caught me off guard.

I'm ok with the design and with the fact that there's lots to do because like everything else, it's optional, you can stay for 15 hours on the Hinterlands or go pretty much straight away, you can romance someone or you can pass, you can spend 100+ hours in one playthrough or play it almost like any other BioWare game and just go through the main quests. The problem is that such a short main storyline as this feels lacking, almost every other BioWare game hits nearly 30 hours in a normal playthrough. I'm ok with 100 hours of content but please, give me at least those 30 hours of meat and potatoes or else it will feel short, at least for me, I play these games for the story.

I know this game represents a very big change of direction, one which is very positive for the most part but I hope next time they put more emphasis on the core content, the game falls short of two more main missions IMO, even if it has significant replay value.

Maledict

No. Look at games like Fallout: New Vegas or The Witcher 2. They both have excellent side-quests with investigation, meaningful dialogue and C&C. Inquisition has NONE of those. In The Hinterlands I was both amazed and horrified at how beautiful and bland it is at the same time.

Sorry but that's utterly untrue. Have you left the hinterlands yet?

Not only do you have several character specific quests for each party member, but each zone has a main quest outside of the main storyline plus other additional excellent neat quests. Be it Crestwoods storyline to restore the zone to normal, Gravewoods haunted house, Westen Approaches time frozen prison or any of the other zone quests (undead in empyrean planes, freeman leaders in the Gravewoods, barbarian tribe in Felmarsh), each zone has numerous interesting side quests - and even more impressively, the zone will change as you do some to reflect your actions (the refugees moving camp in Gravewoods confused the hell out of me!).

Yes, there are a number of boring MMO quests which are just FedEx missions, but just like in MMOs they exist only to lead you to new areas. They are breadcrumb quests - not filler, just something to get you to explore. Ignore them if you want - there's enough 'meaty' quests in the game to finish it just on that if you want.

(I do agree the hinterlands is too big and too full of those style quests. This year seems to be the year of games selling themselves short in the first couple of hours. Be it shadows of Mordor, dragon age or Suset overdrive it's a common theme!)

I'm sorry, that's just plain not true.

Rootbeer

Banned
FINALLY found my third Venatori Tome. Apparently there are 3 spots in the Exalted Plains where they are supposedly found, well I cleared out the area before getting the quest to find the tomes which I think was part of the problem... anyway here is how I finally got the third one:

Dorian has a quest to kill 3 groups of Venatori mages. once I got this quest, I went to the plains and saved near a group of them. I had to reload about 10 times but finally one dropped a third tome. Whew... now I can become a rift mage, yay!

And yeah, I scoured around the net and read about people finding them at vendors and whatnot, I had no such luck. Checked all the vendors that were mentioned, none had it for sale. If not for Dorian's quest I think I might have been screwed. :p

Top Bottom