• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

painey

so I just did the
close the rift
mission. I unlocked some new places, but I am way under leveled to take them on, but I have 3 to unlock: a 30 power place, and two level 8 places (
one is a hawke mission about grey wardens, the other I assume is crestwell?
) now both of these have that green rift icon above which someone said meant once I start the mission I cannot leave, but neither of the two have a level recommendation, so I'm really not sure what to do? I want to unlock those two to grind, but don't want to me stuck on a mission I can't quit.. any help?

Trying to figure out a good build for knight enchanter, no idea why people say it's overpowered or broken. Enemies eat through barrier (going down right spirit tree and getting clean burn in fire, tried like 3 different builds with fire mines and other stuff, thangs.) pretty quick and the sword is only hitting for 100 or so, I am only level 11 on nightmare though. Starting to think I should reload and go rift mage.

LX_Theo

Banned
Trying to figure out a good build for knight enchanter, no idea why people say it's overpowered or broken. Enemies eat through barrier (going down right spirit tree and getting clean burn in fire, tried like 3 different builds with fire mines and other stuff, thangs.) pretty quick and the sword is only hitting for 100 or so, I am only level 11 on nightmare though. Starting to think I should reload and go rift mage.

Use some fade touch materials on your equipment that builds guard. End game.

LX_Theo

Banned
so I just did the
close the rift
mission. I unlocked some new places, but I am way under leveled to take them on, but I have 3 to unlock: a 30 power place, and two level 8 places (
one is a hawke mission about grey wardens, the other I assume is crestwell?
) now both of these have that green rift icon above which someone said meant once I start the mission I cannot leave, but neither of the two have a level recommendation, so I'm really not sure what to do? I want to unlock those two to grind, but don't want to me stuck on a mission I can't quit.. any help?

Warden/Hawke
quest has a few small events in regions before a much, much larger event in a new area exclusive to the event. It'll be obvious once you reach that point.

Grand ball
quest is one you can't back out of until you're done.

danthefan

Had a funny moment earlier where the black loading screen failed to show up when I turned on the game, so I got to watch Skyhold build up piece by piece as the game loaded. Took me a minute to realise what was happening, thought the game had competely bugged.

lumzi23

24 hours in and I have to be honest I am not having fun.

I am level 9 on the exalted plains and all I see around me are meaningless side quests. I wouldn't mind if closing some of the rifts didn't seem so damn tough. Do I need to level up some more? I wanted to be engaged in some meatier stuff so did the minimum amount of side quests required to leave Haven and move on but so far I am seeing more of the same.

TBH, I was expecting Kotor on a grander scale but what I am seeing so far is mostly cheapo side quests.

Use some fade touch materials on your equipment that builds guard. End game.

Yeah I have some fade touched obsidian, not high enough for silverite. People exaggerated a little bit about KE's being op, a lot of classes can do some crazy stuff with guard on hit. The sword does good damage against guard and barrier, and you can keep barrier up on your party, but beyond that it isn't that crazy.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yeah I have some fade touched obsidian, not high enough for silverite. People exaggerated a little bit about KE's being op, a lot of classes can do some crazy stuff with guard on hit. The sword does good damage against guard and barrier, and you can keep barrier up on your party, but beyond that it isn't that crazy.

Here's what I do. I have equipment that builds up guard. I have two mages included my KE to set barriers. I have the KE sword abilities, the Ice's fade step sprint to quickly move away from any impending danger, and I have fire attack spells and wall spell to give long range options and some basic control options. I think it works ridiculously well. Unless they've tone it down in a patch since launch, its really, really effective.

Trickster

Anyone that have had an issue where during dialogue cutscenes, whenever characters walk, the sound effect for the walking sounds kinda like a glitched version of the sound effect used for walking in snow? It's a small thing, but it sticks out and is pretty annoying.

Fiiiinally fixed the constant DirectX crashes by lowering post proc to medium. Cinematics are a lot smoother now, no crashes (yet), with no discernable drop in quality. Why didn't I do this sooner.

I just began this game. Didn't like the UI at first but I've gotten used to it. The fetchquests seem forgivable to me because I like wandering around the map so much.

Neil_J_UK

As someone who didn't play DA:O or DA2, how important is it that I go through Dragon Age Keep and make choices about the past games? I've read the beginner article on Kotaku so I have a very basic understanding, but a lot of the choices are going over my head.

I'm about an hour or so through my playthrough and I wasn't sure whether it was worth restarting after making my decisions through the keep or not.

tcrunch

As someone who didn't play DA:O or DA2, how important is it that I go through Dragon Age Keep and make choices about the past games? I've read the beginner article on Kotaku so I have a very basic understanding, but a lot of the choices are going over my head.

I'm about an hour or so through my playthrough and I wasn't sure whether it was worth restarting after making my decisions through the keep or not.

Not important at all.

Nuke Soda

Stuck on what might prove to be my favorite mission, another damn boss fight without health potions. This is becoming an annoying trend for me. The mission is the Winter Castle one.

Ploid 3.0

It's so hard to hold back as archer in mp. People are trying to get their weekend event kills out of the way and I still kill everything.

Is multi pretty easy to get into in this game? Can you play effectively without voicechat? The only multiplayer game I've ever played was the Souls series and Pokemon...

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to specialize.

I was going to main an archer, but I'm pretty set on having Sera, Cassandra, and Dorian in my party. Should I do dual tempest archers? Or am I better of maining an dagger assassin?

Also, does assassin actually need to wield daggers? The skills make no mention of it.

Is multi pretty easy to get into in this game? Can you play effectively without voicechat? The only multiplayer game I've ever played was the Souls series and Pokemon...

No voice chat necessary, no text chat possible. Clump up, know when to avoid/use abilities, and don't go Lone Wolf™ on your own and you should be fine.

Some tips:
  • The difficulties are tuned to specific levels of 4 players, so don't bother trying to solo them unless you vastly outclass the enemy.
  • Gold is the reason you're playing, so try not to miss any of the drops. All players get the same rewards, so it's best to grab everything you can.
  • As of the last time I tried it (pre-DLC), three of five multiplayer attempts were disconnects or buggy. Some patience may be necessary to get into a stable game. I found hosting to be the best solution.
Ok, you're ready now. Good luck!

Tabby

I need to specialize.

I was going to main an archer, but I'm pretty set on having Sera, Cassandra, and Dorian in my party. Should I do dual tempest archers? Or am I better of maining an dagger assassin?

Also, does assassin actually need to wield daggers? The skills make no mention of it.

I was actually going to Assassin Archer, looks like it could work quite well.
I mean Tempest Archer was explained to me but I'm still not quite sold on it; I feel like Assassin Archer's has more passives that are relevant while Tempest is mainly about elixers, spamming power shots and using the lightning flask to dish out crazy DPS but it's really preference.

I prefer having 2 mages in the party though, 2 mages w/Barrier > 2 rogue DPS but that's just me.

dralla

I feel like Tempest doesn't work well with archery. The skills are a complete mismatch with an archers play style, Tempest makes a lot more sense with a dagger build. I re-rolled Sera into a dagger build and it's a lot more fun and all of the elixirs are actually useful.

Xeteh

I feel like Tempest doesn't work well with archery. The skills are a complete mismatch with an archers play style, Tempest makes a lot more sense with a dagger build. I re-rolled Sera into a dagger build and it's a lot more fun and all of the elixirs are actually useful.

It's no Assassin but its alright. I think the Flask of Fire cooldown is a bit too long but overall it is decent. And you can always swap to another character when you activate the Lightning flask to get 1938529358 attacks in the 5 seconds instead of slowmo.

Yeah...all the best archery skills take a pretty long time to use, defeating the purpose of Flash of Fire.

Xeteh

Unfortunately I didn't think of that. =\

Oh well. Game's easy enough on normal anyways.

Long Shot plus the upgrade is your best bet. The wording on that upgrade makes it sound kind of poor but holy crap is it ever good. It basically will ricochet at targets that are somewhat behind... It bounces everywhere, it is insane. Even for daggers the best choice is Twin Fangs and that has a decently long animation and loves to miss if enemies move.

tcrunch

Does anybody know how I can buy this game for my friend? I don't think you can gift on Origin.

edit: welp
ZD9obRt.png

wolfhowwl

Banned
No voice chat necessary, no text chat possible. Clump up, know when to avoid/use abilities, and don't go Lone Wolf™ on your own and you should be fine.

Some tips:
  • The difficulties are tuned to specific levels of 4 players, so don't bother trying to solo them unless you vastly outclass the enemy.
  • Gold is the reason you're playing, so try not to miss any of the drops. All players get the same rewards, so it's best to grab everything you can.
  • As of the last time I tried it (pre-DLC), three of five multiplayer attempts were disconnects or buggy. Some patience may be necessary to get into a stable game. I found hosting to be the best solution.

You forgot FEAR the Demon Commander!

Some tips:

Did my first match. Picked Legionnaire. Everyone else was lv. 6-8 so I felt pretty useless. Ended up dying on the boss and having to spectate. Gained a few levels, though.

How long does it take to unlock new characters?

You forgot FEAR the Demon Commander!

The most important tip. Demon Commander requires a whole new set of tactics, especially involving not getting anywhere near your team mates. Fucker is OP as hell.

Did my first match. Picked Legionnaire. Everyone else was lv. 6-8 so I felt pretty useless. Ended up dying on the boss and having to spectate. Gained a few levels, though.

How long does it take to unlock new characters?

Kinda random, thanks to the way they're doing loot. You could either pick it up immediately, or never, and have to rely on breaking stuff down for materials. There's no guaranteed rare items, AFAIK.

Ricker

No idea what to do in Chateau D'Onterre...when I first got in there,I thought it was awesome but now after 45 minutes of running around,with no keys to the balcony to be found and the annoying respawning ennemies,I just want to get out of there...way to ruin the mood.

Grisby

Same, apparently there is a way to get
Alistair and Morrigan
to have a conversation but I'm not sure if people have figured it out yet. All this does is make me want to play Origins for the 92355th time.
I'd like to see that.
Morrigan
has become so chill. Kinda crazy to see her change.

Xeteh

I keep meaning to get in to the multiplayer. I fucking loved ME3's MP, I played it a ton with a friend and solo. It was a blast.

I'd like to see that.
Morrigan
has become so chill. Kinda crazy to see her change.

I totally agree. I actually made the comment to my brother, telling him I felt like she was so much more mellow than she had been in the past. His reply was "nah, she's the same". So I just realized he was full of shit and never played Origins.

I was wondering specifically for skills like Ride the Storm. It says elixirs last longer by 3 seconds. So that affects non-healing potions only and not flasks?

This one is specifically for your flasks, you basically use one right as another end and get +3secs duration, which makes a big difference on fire/lightning. The one that gives 15% when you drink a potion works with any potions, flasks but also heal/regen, damage tonic and such, so you can stack it really high by drinking random stuff. The passive that makes it so you don't use a potion doesn't work on flasks and I think doesn't work on healing potions(the shared ones), but it works on every consumable potions you can use. It's pretty confusing.

dankir

So I beat the game but didn't end up romancing anybody, is it too late now? I have a save before the final mission so I guess I can try there.

I started off with Dorian but stopped and switched over to Josephine, I did all of her sidequests and most I could get out was taking her to the courtyard to kiss.

Now that I beat the game, she says one thing to me
(Vivienne is the new Divine in my game)
and there are no more chat options.

Is the achievement missable?

No idea what to do in Chateau D'Onterre...when I first got in there,I thought it was awesome but now after 45 minutes of running around,with no keys to the balcony to be found and the annoying respawning ennemies,I just want to get out of there...way to ruin the mood.

Look at the illustrations. They'll lead you to the key.

Rootbeer

Banned
is it possible to get to level 25 in this game? I just killed my 10th dragon and it lvled me to 24. wondering if it's possible to get enough exp to level again.

Top Bottom