• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Korten

Banned
Question, the event going on in MP right now says kill 100 enemies with axes... Does that include Greataxes or just regular axes?

No idea what to do in Chateau D'Onterre...when I first got in there,I thought it was awesome but now after 45 minutes of running around,with no keys to the balcony to be found and the annoying respawning ennemies,I just want to get out of there...way to ruin the mood.
Thank you for mentioning this! I'd finished the game thinking that I did everything, but I'd forgotten to actually go in here (found the entrance, though!).

Varna

Need help!

Assassin or Tempest?

Assassin seems like just a powered up Rogue which isn't bad at all. Love this kind of playstyle. Tempest just sounds so strange though... looks very interesting. I don't like all the overpowered talk I hear about it.

Xeteh

Need help!

Assassin or Tempest?

Assassin seems like just a powered up Rogue which isn't bad at all. Love this kind of playstyle. Tempest just sounds so strange though... looks very interesting. I don't like all the overpowered talk I hear about it.

Tempest is only overpowered if you abuse the bug with the Fire Flask (its supposed to make skills cost no mana but it also makes skills cost no focus). Despite the bug Tempest is still solid but overall Assassin is the stronger spec. Auto crits from stealth with stealth refreshing on kills and Mark of Death just push it over the top.

Tempest is stronger with daggers than it is with bows but Assassin still trumps it in my opinion.

Arjen

No idea what to do in Chateau D'Onterre...when I first got in there,I thought it was awesome but now after 45 minutes of running around,with no keys to the balcony to be found and the annoying respawning ennemies,I just want to get out of there...way to ruin the mood.

You don't even need the key, I just jumped out of a window to the balcony. Purely by accident, but hey it worked.

Melchiah

Just finished Here Lies the Abyss mission with Blackwall, Dorian and Sera, and now I kinda regret about not having Solus, Cassandra and Cole in my party. Can anyone say if their dialogue in the last part of the mission would have been more interesting? I guess I could try to find a video on YouTube of someone playing with them.

Ricker

You don't even need the key, I just jumped out of a window to the balcony. Purely by accident, but hey it worked.

Really lol...? I kinda tried but my character wasn't quite going through...

Look at the illustrations. They'll lead you to the key.

and about following the illustrations,you mean the ones on the wall or the ones you find that you need to open in the codex to see...?

hew9753

Are the Inner Circle, companion quests the only content I'll be locked out of after completing the main story? What about all the war table operations?

Neil_J_UK

Someone please tell me I'm doing something massively wrong.

On my first playthrough on Nightmare, and my team is getting wiped out so fast it's unreal.

My team is level 4 trying to close one of the first rifts in the Hinterlands, and I just can't do it. I can kill the first wave, but I stand no chance against the second. The enemies just teleport on top of me, and I can't move out of the way in time - 3 hits or so and I'm dead. I'm playing as a mage, and the tank can't seem to keep anything focused on her.

It seems so incredibly frustrating at the minute that it's just not fun, but I don't want to turn the difficulty down and it be a cakewalk.

EDIT: After about 7 wipes, I try controlling the tank and I do it easily. Not too sure what to make of that.

karasu

I'm like 30 hours in on my main game. While I admire the art and graphics, I'm honestly not having very much fun at this point. It seems like I'm just holding R1 to attack and X to close rifts the entire time. And the script is too dry to be saved by random banter alone. Exploring the world has lead me to many beautiful sights but I find nothing but Gear that I am unable to use. Everything I find is at least two levels above my current level and it takes forever and a day to level up. It is seriously frustrating. Hopefully my perspective changes because I bought my ps4 solely for this game and I'd hate to be let down by the only game I've been excited about.

The-Bean

So I'm ~20 hours in and am wondering something...

Is there a "point of no return" and if so will it be obvious / pointed out to me? I don't want to progress the main story and miss out on a bunch of side-quests. I'm hoping once you've finished the main story you can still keep playing and complete all the other quests and explore a bit more, the areas are pretty huge.

Xeteh

So I'm ~20 hours in and am wondering something...

Is there a "point of no return" and if so will it be obvious / pointed out to me? I don't want to progress the main story and miss out on a bunch of side-quests. I'm hoping once you've finished the main story you can still keep playing and complete all the other quests and explore a bit more, the areas are pretty huge.

Yeah, it tells you when the point of no return is. And while you can play after the end of the story I think you get locked out of some things.

dralla

Aw I found some Snoulfeur Skin which removes class resitrction on armor, which is great because I hate the look of my current armor, the Dalish Scout Armor, but I only have three of them and don't know where to get more. The heavy gear looks boss on an elf. Must find more.

I'm also approaching the 90 hour mark. Shit. I still haven't gone to Emerald Graves or the Snowy place yet. Mother of God

danthefan

Is there a best mix of classes for going after dragons? Currently going with a rogue (my Inquisitor), Blackwall, Vivienne and Dorian but not having a great time of it. I don't have particularly good gear for my other rogues and warriors is the only thing.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm like 30 hours in on my main game. While I admire the art and graphics, I'm honestly not having very much fun at this point. It seems like I'm just holding R1 to attack and X to close rifts the entire time. And the script is too dry to be saved by random banter alone. Exploring the world has lead me to many beautiful sights but I find nothing but Gear that I am unable to use. Everything I find is at least two levels above my current level and it takes forever and a day to level up. It is seriously frustrating. Hopefully my perspective changes because I bought my ps4 solely for this game and I'd hate to be let down by the only game I've been excited about.

Turn up the difficulty. The combat gets much more enjoyable when you it forces you to micromanage your party and make the most of tactical view, imo.

So, I know I've complained about this a lot but...

When crafting helmets for qunari you can see what they'd look like on you. Square holes cut out of them to fit your horns. No clipping. Could have been seamlessly integrated. But when you craft them, you can't equip them.

On the other hand, find a piece of armor (like the Inquisition warrior armor) that you can equip and try to equip it...and it has no appearance. It just strips you down to your Skyhold outfit.

This game just puzzles me sometimes. Why can we just reverse these two? Let qunari equip the gear that actually shows up on them in the preview and prevent them from equipping the gear that doesn't?

Man I'm playing this game slowly, the thread is in community already :p

I have some questions about the Here's Lies the Abyss mission:

Who did you sacrifice at the end? I chose Hawke but I'm regretting it so I might redo the decision. How big of an impact does it have? I'm not a fan of Loghain but I needed him to lead the Grey Wardens on my side.

Also I didn't have Cassandra in my party in the fade, was there any big dialogue that I missed between her and Justinia?

Is it normal on nightmare to not be able to manage a dragon at level 15? I'm trading to take iron bull but he does so quick and is so hard to micro everyone properly the fights quickly turn to shit. Im playing an archer and i have blackwall and solas in the party to.

Trickster

Is it possible to have you or your party members become immortal somehow? While fighting my first dragon, in the last 20 or so percent, 2 of my ranged party members had no visible life, armor or shield left?

Edit - nvm, seems they're not immortal, but the health bar just doesn't seem very accurate, or there's some weird period after your health guage is depleted where you won't die..

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

The game will tell you, and you can do everything post-game except some companion quests. I'd recommend doing everything you really want to do before the ending, regardless. At least keep a save handy before you start the final mission.

Melchiah

The game will tell you, and you can do everything post-game except some companion quests. I'd recommend doing everything you really want to do before the ending, regardless. At least keep a save handy before you start the final mission.

Thanks. I'll do the inner circle stuff before the end then, but the war room objectives are still available afterwards?

UberLevi

I'm debating on doing everything before the final mission or just leaving it and actually having new things to discover in a second playthrough.

Grisby

Aw man, spoiler stuff for Leliana's personal quest.
Opposite of Morrigan, she seems to have gotten way colder. Tried to tell her not to slit that priest ladies throat and she did it anyways. The way she talked afterwards about being 'set free' just made me feel super uncomfortable.

Aurizen

Got a question I'm lvl 13 doing
the mission with Hawke
my party has been having the same old equipment since
Haven
I need good armor for 2 Warriors and a Roge, I recently sneaked and got the Battle Mage schematic for my mage, I just need some armor for my warriors and rogue. What do you recommend?

danthefan

Got a question I'm lvl 13 doing
the mission with Hawke
my party has been having the same old equipment since
Haven
I need good armor for 2 Warriors and a Roge, I recently sneaked and got the Battle Mage schematic for my mage, I just need some armor for my warriors and rogue. What do you recommend?

Ehh, I just picked up stuff as I went along, always found something to equip my guys with. At that stage I don't think I was doing much crafting or anything.

danthefan

Any advice on how to get a better mage staff? I've been using the 110dps Lifetaker staff for ages.

Sounds fairly high anyway, I don't think you'll do massively better. The best staff in the game I think comes from doing some war table missions that you unlock after Iron Bull's companion quest,
you have to choose to let his guys die and save the dreadnought.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Holy shit at Sera's sex scene.

2YBB3d6.gif

DTKT

Turn up the difficulty. The combat gets much more enjoyable when you it forces you to micromanage your party and make the most of tactical view, imo.

The "tactical" camera is just unusable on PC. You can't zoom out, it barely allows you to move around and it's just a pain to control.

I also want to add that the game has a very poor selection of helmets. I've been using the Grey Warden "I got Wings" helmet since the beginning. The unique helmet "Dread" is pretty nice for Bull.

Finally bothered with the Hissing Wastes quest on my second playthrough, and damn did that feel like it took a long time.Got every tomb, routed the Venatori, and killed the Sandy Howler in one try. Got some decent schematics, but not as good as I was hoping.

I'm still not done with my first playthrough but as I've started to do more of the actual main story quests, I'm starting to wonder how much replay value Inquisition is actually going to have.

Sure, you've got these big zones but unlike something like Skyrim where I'd constantly end up finding tons of new nooks and crannies on the map after having thought I explored everything, I feel like with the maps in Inquisition, if you ran over the surface and uncover the map, that's about it. So you couple the fact that I've been pretty much doing every quest with the fact that even the main story quests don't have a ton of wildly divergent choice/consequence and I'm really doubting how much I'll replay the game once I finish.

I'll probably do a pure main quest run but I have a hard time seeing myself play through 7+ times like I did Origins. Hell, playing Inquisition is making me just want to play Origins again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still not done with my first playthrough but as I've started to do more of the actual main story quests, I'm starting to wonder how much replay value Inquisition is actually going to have.

For me? Absolutely zero. There's no way I'd considering running through all of this again.

I played through Origins a few times myself, too, but it also happened to have fun and engaging combat. I may give it another go soon.

So finally got around to start playing the game. I'm 15 hours in, did a bit of stuff in the Hinterlands and left it and will return again, but I'm wondering, do quests such as in places like The Fallow Mire disappear with main plot advancements? I'm level 8 at the moment and just out the first camp here there are level 12 enemies which is a sign I should probably not be here, but have quite a few quests here. Also knew I should leave The Hinterlands since those level 12 insane demon spawn motherfucks at one of the rifts was destroying me.

I know in the first DA that advancing the plot caused side quests to disappear, just wondering if it's the same or to a lesser extent here.

The reason I ask is because early on in the game I had a quest to do at Stormcoast, I can't remember what it was, and I remember it showing up in the journal as "Storming the coast" I think, but that all of a sudden had disappeared (and I haven't gone there yet), and it was after I went to Val Royeaux (however you spell it) if I remember correctly. Edit: I don't think it was called that but I was definitely told to go there and something showed in the Journal for it, but that is what disappeared. I have quests here though which I haven't started.

Loving the game so far. When having Solas + Sera in your party the banter is pretty awesome.

danthefan

Holy crap the Storm Coast dragon is tough compared to the ones before it. Any tips for him? He just murders my mages but without them I do barely any damage. Guess get a few more levels would be one thing.

Also I've Googled it but not sure what to trust, are there any good guides out there for the best build for each class?

spekkeh

Banned
So finally got around to start playing the game. I'm 15 hours in, did a bit of stuff in the Hinterlands and left it and will return again, but I'm wondering, do quests such as in places like The Fallow Mire disappear with main plot advancements? I'm level 8 at the moment and just out the first camp here there are level 12 enemies which is a sign I should probably not be here, but have quite a few quests here. Also knew I should leave The Hinterlands since those level 12 insane demon spawn motherfucks at one of the rifts was destroying me.

I know in the first DA that advancing the plot caused side quests to disappear, just wondering if it's the same or to a lesser extent here.

The reason I ask is because early on in the game I had a quest to do at Stormcoast, I can't remember what it was, and I remember it showing up in the journal as "Storming the coast" I think, but that all of a sudden had disappeared (and I haven't gone there yet), and it was after I went to Val Royeaux (however you spell it) if I remember correctly. Edit: I don't think it was called that but I was definitely told to go there and something showed in the Journal for it, but that is what disappeared. I have quests here though which I haven't started.

Loving the game so far. When having Solas + Sera in your party the banter is pretty awesome.
You can come back later. It's actually kind of nice returning to an area that gave you shit many hours before. I just steamrolled through Crestwood and it was funny to run past the restock potions crates because I didn't use a single one all through the mission.

Question for those that have played 2H Warrior/Reaver on Nightmare.

Is using Ring of Pain worth it? After trying it when I first unlocked Reaver I essentially disregarded it because of how much stamina it uses up but now I'm basically using a Dragon-Rage, Charging Bull, Devour rotation and I find myself with copious amounts of extra stamina.

Using Ring of Pain seems like an obvious addition but I I'm a bit worried it will be more of a hindrance than benefit. Just figured I'd ask and see how other Reavers played it.

Grisby

"Hey Solas, do you think you could say something to them?"
"WHAT!? DO ALL ELVES LOOK THE SAME TO YOU BRO? JESUS."

Heh, that was a pretty good bit. Solas is definitely the man you want to take for some more back story on some of the missions.

Top Bottom