• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Admodieus

Question for those that have played 2H Warrior/Reaver on Nightmare.

Is using Ring of Pain worth it? After trying it when I first unlocked Reaver I essentially disregarded it because of how much stamina it uses up but now I'm basically using a Dragon-Rage, Charging Bull, Devour rotation and I find myself with copious amounts of extra stamina.

Using Ring of Pain seems like an obvious addition but I I'm a bit worried it will be more of a hindrance than benefit. Just figured I'd ask and see how other Reavers played it.

I used it a lot when I first got it, then hit a snag as I branched out on Reaver when I almost never used, then rediscovered its benefit again. Once you upgrade it, Devour, and Dragon Rage, it becomes pretty good. I use it right after Charging Bull so it casts for free, then dragon rage to do extra damage and lower the cooldown of Devour. I almost always try to have it up when I devour to get extra HP back

Jisgsaw

Holy crap the Storm Coast dragon is tough compared to the ones before it. Any tips for him? He just murders my mages but without them I do barely any damage. Guess get a few more levels would be one thing.

Also I've Googled it but not sure what to trust, are there any good guides out there for the best build for each class?

You have to dispel his electrical circles; else they'll eat away your life.

There are a wide variety of possible good build, I guess that's why you don't find any definitive answer. Just go with what you think is best/what you like most, there's a good chance it'll be enough to beat everything, the game isn't very hard (at least on hard, didn't try nightmare).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still amazed at how big this game is. Played all day yesterday, and have put in 76 hours. Story wise I did the empress one and spent the rest of the day on side quests, mostly western approach, emprise and exalted plains. Also killed my first three dragons.

Zakalwe

Banned
The "tactical" camera is just unusable on PC. You can't zoom out, it barely allows you to move around and it's just a pain to control.

Playing on PC with a controller, and while there have been times I've felt restricted overall it's been easy to use. I wish you could take a full ariel view though.

-

17 hours in and I just reached
Skyhold
. I don't think leaving the hinterlands early is a good idea, the slow build exploring that area and raising the profile of the inquisition then branding out to surrounding areas and doing the same have the story a lot of weight.

Loved the first encounter with
Corypheus
, the story really came together at that point. Really strong atmosphere, this is good Bioware.

Still undecided on the combat. I do love switching between party members and managing each attack, but it doesn't feel like I have quite enough control. It's getting better as I level though, maybe I just need experience.

I was enjoying it, but now I think it's sucked me in. Been waiting for a Bioware game to do that since ME2.

Question for those that have played 2H Warrior/Reaver on Nightmare.

Is using Ring of Pain worth it? After trying it when I first unlocked Reaver I essentially disregarded it because of how much stamina it uses up but now I'm basically using a Dragon-Rage, Charging Bull, Devour rotation and I find myself with copious amounts of extra stamina.

Using Ring of Pain seems like an obvious addition but I I'm a bit worried it will be more of a hindrance than benefit. Just figured I'd ask and see how other Reavers played it.
Once everything is fully upgraded they all flow together quite nicely. Devour has less cooldown, Dragon Rage uses less health. Normal attacks restore stamina quickly. Really the only thing to keep in mind about Ring of Pain is that you need to be constantly attacking.

Aurizen

guys I have a question I finally got into
hissing waster and seen Betyar’s Canyon Market
he isn't selling Superior Battlemage Armor or any of the superior schematics. I also have the short list perk. why won't he show them?

guys I have a question I finally got into
hissing waster and seen Betyar’s Canyon Market
he isn't selling Superior Battlemage Armor or any of the superior schematics. I also have the short list perk. why won't he show them?
Hmm. Maybe his inventory expands depending on your progress? He sold it to me without the short list perk.

hmm that's krazy. did they modulate/alter his voice whatsoever for the character, or did he perform that voice completely naturally??
Nope, I saw a video of him in the booth a while back and it's all him.

danthefan

You have to dispel his electrical circles; else they'll eat away your life.

There are a wide variety of possible good build, I guess that's why you don't find any definitive answer. Just go with what you think is best/what you like most, there's a good chance it'll be enough to beat everything, the game isn't very hard (at least on hard, didn't try nightmare).

Ugh, dispel never occurred to me. Thanks. I'd been keeping my mages away from each other as the circles only seem to cause damage when one overlaps with another (not sure if this is right?) but yeah when he drags everyone in with his wings it would just mash my mages.

Dispel then, thanks.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit mind blown that you can dispel the circles. I always thought it was a mechanic with the idea that you should separate your party, because they do no damage unless the circles overlap. It was really finicky and I powered through it by crafting +lightning resist armor and using lightning resist potions.

KePoW

Banned
Holy shit mind blown that you can dispel the circles. I always thought it was a mechanic with the idea that you should separate your party, because they do no damage unless the circles overlap. It was really finicky and I powered through it by crafting +lightning resist armor and using lightning resist potions.

WHOA hey aren't u in the Marvel Heroes thread??

abundant

I hope Bioware fixes that annoying bug in MP that makes it impossible to move onto anther zone unless the host quits, soon. I've ran into it about 3 times per day since the DLC came out.

Aurizen

Hmm. Maybe his inventory expands depending on your progress? He sold it to me without the short list perk.

Nope, I saw a video of him in the booth a while back and it's all him.

he has the upgrades but not the schematics, I found that to be weird. I read a lot of people have that problem.

painey

I was the '50 hours level 10' guy.. and it turns out I wasn't really 50 hours in.. the Xbox One has this really stupid 'pause' function that seems to work 20% of the time, so when I turned my Xbone off overnight it was still counting hours. I'm probably about 60hours in now, but the game says 100 because of the nights it's counted. Anyway, i'm still only level 14 so I've got a long ways to go.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Kepow plz

lol

I lurk EVERYWHERE

Getting into the multiplayer now on PS4, but holy hell it seems super broken. I fail to connect more often than not and have had several crashes back to the XMB, game completely shut down. I have NAT Type 2 but it wasn't a problem in Destiny ever, certainly not remotely to this extent. Anyone else have problems with the mp on PS4?

Xevren

lol

I lurk EVERYWHERE

Getting into the multiplayer now on PS4, but holy hell it seems super broken. I fail to connect more often than not and have had several crashes back to the XMB, game completely shut down. I have NAT Type 2 but it wasn't a problem in Destiny ever, certainly not remotely to this extent. Anyone else have problems with the mp on PS4?

MP as a whole has a TON of bugs which sucks. If you happen to have friends to play with it's a lot easier, but if not just getting into a match that ends up playing can be a pain in the ass.

KePoW

Banned
MP as a whole has a TON of bugs which sucks. If you happen to have friends to play with it's a lot easier, but if not just getting into a match that ends up playing can be a pain in the ass.

How many players is MP, and can you try it with just 2 or 3 players total?

abundant

How many players is MP, and can you try it with just 2 or 3 players total?

4 and yes. It may be too hard though, depending on you and your teammates class, level, and gear. And the bugs in MP suck. I stopped playing as a Reaver because you never know if Rampage is going to work or not.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Seems more broken than ME3 mp, which also had issues. I wouldn't mind them basically including a free f2p game within the game, because lord knows it has enough content as-is, but I'm not spending shit if their game barely works.

KePoW

Banned
4 and yes. It may be too hard though, depending on you and your teammates class, level, and gear. And the bugs in MP suck. I stopped playing as a Reaver because you never know if Rampage is going to work or not.

Ok didn't know if it forced you to have 4 players to even try

I'm on PC, I wonder if there's less MP problems for that version if you specifically play with a couple friends. (not matchmaking)

What do you need potions for? There's not even that much combat there and it's optional
Don't see any other way to get out of here but
fighting Florial
. Hope I'm wrong and just an idiot.
Either way I found what I think is the only supply crate hidden away. GD it what a waste of about 90 minutes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm finally done. 80 hours and 18 minutes on my final post-credits save. I did just about everything--completed all of the companion quests, killed all of the dragons, and even collected all of the shards! Really not sure why I felt compelled to do all of the side-quest nonsense. Maybe I just enjoyed running through the pretty environments, or maybe it always seemed like something cool was just around the corner. Unfortunately, that "something cool" never came. There's never any payoff for any of it. Doesn't help that the "loot" aspect of this game is extremely weak.

The main story was the weakest in the series, in my opinion. For me, it peaked with the events at the winter palace. I like that kind of political intrigue stuff. The rest of the game's missions were pretty bog-standard to being just plain dumb. It was impossible to take the villain seriously, too. His behavior and motivations were just comical and he really didn't seem like much of a threat once you reached Skyhold, especially after you go murdering dragons left and right for little to no reason other than that they are there.

The stakes just didn't seem very high, and honestly, every mission you do ostensibly to prepare for the fight against the big baddy just seemed pointless. Gaining the support of the various factions in Origins seemed important, because you needed big numbers in order to go against the armies of the darkspawn, but there was nothing like that here. By the end of it, gaining the support of the Orlesian empire, for example, seemed completely unnecessary.

This feeling of low stakes permeates throughout the game and also applies to the combat. There wasn't a single fight in the game in which I came close to losing. It was just going through the motions in every battle. I didn't even out-level the main story content (outside of the final mission), and it was still just braindead. I even jacked up the difficulty to hard at one point, but it didn't seem to make it any more interesting--it just made the battles take longer. And there are a ton of battles against damage sponges (even on Normal). What makes it worse is that using the tactical view is simply an exercise in frustration due to the poor controls and interface and lack of responsiveness. Just wasn't much of a joy to play, and a huge downgrade that makes even Dragon Age 2 look like a proper RPG.

In terms of positives, I loved the visuals. I didn't like the change in art style in Dragon Age 2, so I'm glad to see how it changed in this game. The environments and lighting were just beautiful and made it fun to explore the environments. I also liked a lot of the interactions with the characters.

Everything else, though, is just so heavily flawed. They piled all of these systems on top of each other, but each one is pretty mediocre to just plain bad. The overall package does not seem like it was well thought out. I can't imagine the end product we got is what they originally envisioned or pitched. I hope not at least, for the future of the franchise.

In the end, I walk away heavily disappointed and feeling like I just wasted a massive amount of time in attempt to see what this game had to offer.

Xevren

Yea playing as a Reaver sucks because of that. I tried getting on due to the weekend events and I couldn't even complete a map due to bugs with the keys not dropping...

I'm at level 6, enjoying the game so far, but do more tactical/behavior options open up as you play the story? I'm trying to keep my ranged characters at range and it seems there's no AI setting to do so. This seems like a huge downgrade from even DA2 as far as AI options available. Manually repositioning Varric and Solas during every battle so they don't get mauled by Melee attacks is tedious.

abundant

Yea playing as a Reaver sucks because of that. I tried getting on due to the weekend events and I couldn't even complete a map due to bugs with the keys not dropping...

They need to fix that ASAP. I'm averaging 1 failed key drop per hour.

Even with that being said, I cannot but down this game because when MP works, it's really fun. I can't wait until they add new stuff like they did with ME3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at level 6, enjoying the game so far, but do more tactical/behavior options open up as you play the story? I'm trying to keep my ranged characters at range and it seems there's no AI setting to do so. This seems like a huge downgrade from even DA2 as far as AI options available. Manually repositioning Varric and Solas during every battle so they don't get mauled by Melee attacks is tedious.

No further options are made available. The only thing you can do really is tell your AI characters to give priority to certain abilities.

It's too bad the AI is really stupid. Ranged characters never try to get away from melee attackers. It wasn't that big of a deal in previous games because it was easy to reposition characters manually, but that's a huge pain in the ass in Inquisition.

dralla

You can open up the tactical menu and press X (on PS4) on a character to hold position. So when the fight starts, you can tell your ranged characters to hold their spot in the back. The friendly AI in general is not very good though, they don't seem to have any meaningful AI actually..

Xeteh

Go in to Character Record for any of your ranged characters and under behavior set them to follow themselves. It helps keep them at range but it isn't perfect, it seems to help sometimes and do nothing others.

So this is a question for those of you who've started another playthrough with a different character and history.

Editing the default world state in Keep and then exporting it doesn't affect my 1st playthrough right? I've already finished the main game fwiw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How is Cole is a Archer?
I can't decide if I want him or Varric as my Rogue.

I may be wrong, but I think all of the characters are more or less exactly the same besides the classes they have access to.

With that said, there will probably be many points in the game where you can craft or loot bows that are better than Bianca, since it relies on very specific items to power up.

Tabby

I may be wrong, but I think all of the characters are more or less exactly the same besides the classes they have access to.

With that said, there will probably be many points in the game where you can craft or loot bows that are better than Bianca, since it relies on very specific items to power up.

Well I ask because Assassin seems to be better for an archer than whatever class Varric has but I heard that Bianca can be modded/upgraded to have a very high DPS.

Xeteh

So this is a question for those of you who've started another playthrough with a different character and history.

Editing the default world state in Keep and then exporting it doesn't affect my 1st playthrough right? I've already finished the main game fwiw.

Nope, it loads that information once you create the character. It doesn't change it for characters already in progress.

Top Bottom