• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

leng jai

There's like around a 1 in 5 chance my game will take upwards of 10 minutes from the time to it takes boot up from desktop to actually loading into gameplay. The will then stutter like mad periodically and be basically unplayable. The only way to fix it is to restart the game. This is on PC with 12GB RAM, 2500k and GTX970.

It's definitely a mess technically, but I did get a nice boost from the latest Nvidia drivers.

There's like around a 1 in 5 chance my game will take upwards of 10 minutes from the time to it takes boot up from desktop to actually loading into gameplay. The will then stutter like mad periodically and be basically unplayable. The only way to fix it is to restart the game. This is on PC with 12GB RAM, 2500k and GTX970.

It's definitely a mess technically, but I did get a nice boost from the latest Nvidia drivers.

I got the 10 minute thing recently changing from an old graphics card to 970. but otherwise everything runs fine on mine. 2600k 16gb ram. I'm guessing that the 10 min load is my crappy HD that loading ultra textures.

Apparently ManShep Mark Meer was credited as additional voices in the credits. Anybody notice who he was?

I started skipping dialogue at the base. This is something I have never done before in a Bioware game, but I find all of the characters with minor exceptions (Solas) superbly monotonous, and there's just TOO MUCH conversation.

It doesn't feel optional either.

I'm so torn on this game. There's so much to like, but the old fashion animations, especially during cutscenes, the terribly uninteresting party members, and the slow pace of the game really drag it down for me.

Who thought it was a good idea for you to have a million conversation options as soon as you hit Skyhold, then refresh the place after talking to Solas only to have a MILLION MORE CONVERSATION OPTIONS? I've been here for an hour doing nothing.

This is probably the best cast of characters BioWare has had in ages, so if the companions are a problem for you then it's not gonna be fun. I would recommend just going outside and do some quests and then come back to talk to folks. They're always willing to chat.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Apparently ManShep Mark Meer was credited as additional voices in the credits. Anybody notice who he was?

He's also in Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2.

I think it's pretty funny that people always seem to downplay his VA in ME series compared to Hale but his vocal range is actually much better than Hale, who is pretty much one note. I was floored when I discovered he actually voiced the Vorcha, lol.

He's also in Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2.

I think it's pretty funny that people always seem to downplay his VA in ME series compared to Hale but his vocal range is actually much better than Hale, who is pretty much one note. I was floored when I discovered he actually voiced the Vorcha, lol.

This (Athras) is Meer in DA:O. He sounds like a hanar. :lol

EDIT: Looks like he voiced some hanar, too. I'm not surprised.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I agree, I think Hale is generally terrific but I never liked her Shepard. Mark Meer somehow gets way more shit but his performance is great.

MaddenNFL64

Holy shit at the ending.

so.... Solas was the god Fen'Harel, and Flemeth has/had the soul of both Mythal, and Urthemiel. Then Solas did a Shang Tsung, and stole her soul or some shit. WTF.

Finally put destiny down after 9 days of total play time. I've only put in about 10 hours thus far,, but I'm loving it. The graphics are pretty darn good, the game play, for the most part, is intuitive, and the crafting/loot system is just right. The only issues I have with the game is the clunky inventory and leveling menus. Other than that this is the goty for me. Bioware knows how to make RPGs.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at the ending.

so.... Solas was the god Fen'Harel, and Flemeth has/had the soul of both Mythal, and Urthemiel. Then Solas did a Shang Tsung, and stole her soul or some shit. WTF.

I think
Flemeth took his body forcefully. Remember how they talked about how Flemeth takes over the bodies of her children? I guess it implies Solas is one of her kids? Anyway I assume that's what happened because that was mentioned in the story. All the elven gods stuff, idk, that came totally out of nowhere and I'm completely disinterested in that lore, I paid no attention to the codex entries in the temple during that story mission.

MaddenNFL64

I think
Flemeth took his body forcefully. Remember how they talked about how Flemeth takes over the bodies of her children? I guess it implies Solas is one of her kids? Anyway I assume that's what happened because that was mentioned in the story. All the elven gods stuff, idk, that came totally out of nowhere and I'm completely disinterested in that lore, I paid no attention to the codex entries in the temple during that story mission.

Only thing with that is,
She looked shocked when it happened, and if you remember how fucked up Solas was over the broken Orb. I think he is taking drastic actions to fix whatever he thinks he has to fix, even taking the power of his friend, Mythal (they seemed like friends, anyway, and she knew what he had done, basically starting the whole thing with Corypheus by giving him the Elven artifacts)

Melchiah

I've witnessed a couple of annoying bugs with the game last week. I had to kill the Hinterlands and Emerald Graves dragons twice, as the former just disappeared when its HP went very low, and the latter did this when its HP went to zero:

i60CPkHQ3M1pu.jpg

It just stood there, stuck between life and death. I really hope I don't have to double kill all the rest of the dragons as well. The Crestwood dragon went down just fine though.

When I played the last part of Here Lies the Abyss mission, my character's arms and fingers were stretched out like tentacles in the cutscenes. Unfortunately, I didn't take any screenshots of that.

Ricker

Asked this yesterday and this morning I tried again,why am I stuck in the starting oval like part of the map in Emprise du Lion....? I went all over and can't reach the other markers on the map...not seeing a cave or something lol..?

I cant reach the Quarry of Sahrnia or anything else...I have only 2 War table missions left and they are the main story ones...how do I expand the Emprise Du Lion map...?

dralla

Asked this yesterday and this morning I tried again,why am I stuck in the starting oval like part of the map in Emprise du Lion....? I went all over and can't reach the other markers on the map...not seeing a cave or something lol..?

I cant reach the Quarry of Sahrnia or anything else...I have only 2 War table missions left and they are the main story ones...how do I expand the Emprise Du Lion map...?

You have to do the Red Templar mission for the mayor lady in EDL, they open up more camps and let your progress further.

Lakitu

st5fu
Where the hell do I find the Reaver writings? I checked both book merchants in Redcliffe and Val Royeaux. I can't complete the quest and get my Reaver spec without it...

abundant

Where the hell do I find the Reaver writings? I checked both book merchants in Redcliffe and Val Royeaux. I can't complete the quest and get my Reaver spec without it...

The book is near Iron Bull. The books needed for specializations are always near the companion with that specialization (Iron Bull = Reaver, Solas = Rift Mage, etc.)

abundant

Thanks, I'll check there.

FYI, you may have already picked it up. The game doesn't check it off when you do pick it up, so if it is not there, then go to the crafting table used for those endless fetch quests you get at the camp to see if you have the book already.

Neil_J_UK

I wasn't instantly grabbed by this when I first started playing, but I'm now liking this more and more. Currently level 6 or 7 and I can't wait to get home to play.

Couple of questions -

Who killed the Divine/how did she die? (Justinia?) I'm not sure if this was mentioned at the very start of the game (before I read the Kotaku beginner guide) or it's assumed I would know from past games.

Because I'm playing on Nightmare, I need the AI to not be quite as... dumb. I'm currently running Tank/Archer Rogue/Mage/Mage (me a mage) - would 2h warrior/tank/archer/mage work? Or would the AI 2h warrior get annihilated?

abundant

Who killed the Divine/how did she die? (Justinia?) I'm not sure if this was mentioned at the very start of the game (before I read the Kotaku beginner guide) or it's assumed I would know from past games.

Because I'm playing on Nightmare, I need the AI to not be quite as... dumb. I'm currently running Tank/Archer Rogue/Mage/Mage (me a mage) - would 2h warrior/tank/archer/mage work? Or would the AI 2h warrior get annihilated?

1) Play the game.

2) 2h Warriors need to be player controlled. The AI will die quickly as one.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing with that is,
She looked shocked when it happened, and if you remember how fucked up Solas was over the broken Orb. I think he is taking drastic actions to fix whatever he thinks he has to fix, even taking the power of his friend, Mythal (they seemed like friends, anyway, and she knew what he had done, basically starting the whole thing with Corypheus by giving him the Elven artifacts)

ENDING SPOILERS
Could be, but that would be super sloppy storytelling. It would come out of nowhere that Solas can do that, whereas we know Flemeth can take over the bodies of her children and that's been a plot point in the past. But then I think a lot of the storytelling in this series where the main plot is concerned has been super sloppy so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you're right.

I wasn't instantly grabbed by this when I first started playing, but I'm now liking this more and more. Currently level 6 or 7 and I can't wait to get home to play.

Couple of questions -

1. You're not expected to know who killed Justinia right off the bat, so previous knowledge wouldn't be helpful here. It's something you'll figure out as the story progresses.

2. 2H warriors AI is...not too bright. This can be mitigated by setting all their guard-building abilities to preferred for some added survivability, but you'd be missing out on one of the warrior's best abilities - Charging Bull, which the AI absolutely cannot manage to use correctly. Are we talking about Iron Bull here? Reavers are awesome but they need to be handled actively to be of any use. If you want a 2H warrior in your party, make sure it's your Inquisitor. If not, I'd just go with 2 tanks or possibly another mage.

Okay, guys. Im starting this game today. Any tips and helpful guides i shoukd know about?

You don't have to complete all of the Hinterlands in one go. Feel free to leave at around lv. 7 or 8 and come back to it later. The rest will explain itself.

studyguy

Really come around on this game.

I still feel like it has the absolute weakest opening of any DA, even DA II feels like it had a more cohesive opening sequence, but the content that follows more than makes up for it. It's defiantly a step in the right direction for the series but holy shit the AI is so god awful. I'm still in the god damn hinterlands too after almost 2 days Jesus the quests never stop. I finished all the quests in other areas and I feel like I'll never finish the Hinterlands.

I wanted to mainly stay on my 2H warrior but I find myself constantly taking over my tank to the point where I feel like I should just go back and restart as one. Any tips on tank AI? I feel like it's the most essential part of the group that has probably the dumbest AI even with commands.

Ricker

You have to do the Red Templar mission for the mayor lady in EDL, they open up more camps and let your progress further.

EDL....? I did the main story quest in the meantime,the Abyss part,was pretty awesome...guess I will talk to everyone in Skyhold again and maybe it will add the quest on the War Table...probably Cullen.

EDL....? I did the main story quest in the meantime,the Abyss part,was pretty awesome...guess I will talk to everyone in Skyhold again and maybe it will add the quest on the War Table...probably Cullen.

No there is a series of side quests that takes you through Emprise by way of clearing Red Templar camps. Talk to the chantry sister in one in the houses in Sahrnia

Neil_J_UK

1) Play the game.

2) 2h Warriors need to be player controlled. The AI will die quickly as one.

1. You're not expected to know who killed Justinia right off the bat, so previous knowledge wouldn't be helpful here. It's something you'll figure out as the story progresses.

2. 2H warriors AI is...not too bright. This can be mitigated by setting all their guard-building abilities to preferred for some added survivability, but you'd be missing out on one of the warrior's best abilities - Charging Bull, which the AI absolutely cannot manage to use correctly. Are we talking about Iron Bull here? Reavers are awesome but they need to be handled actively to be of any use. If you want a 2H warrior in your party, make sure it's your Inquisitor. If not, I'd just go with 2 tanks or possibly another mage.

Thanks. Yeah I was considering using Iron Bull, but I think I'll probably stick with Me(mage)/Blackhand/Rogue/Mage

I wanted to mainly stay on my 2H warrior but I find myself constantly taking over my tank to the point where I feel like I should just go back and restart as one. Any tips on tank AI? I feel like it's the most essential part of the group that has probably the dumbest AI even with commands.

I feel the same. I mentioned it a few pages back - I came up against a rift I just couldn't do, I must have tried about 7 or 8 times but I'd just get agro and die so quickly. I try it controlling the tank and do it easily first time. It'd be a shame if I have to resort to not controlling my Inquisitor for the big fights.

Ricker

No there is a series of side quests that takes you through Emprise by way of clearing Red Templar camps. Talk to the chantry sister in one in the houses in Sahrnia

Oh EDL is Emprise ok...yeah I did that,I have the other camp unlocked,raise the banner/landmark behind the falls and all...no one has a conversation for me in the little place at the start...or maybe its like greyed out and I have to press R3...ok I will check again later...

Oh EDL is Emprise ok...yeah I did that,I have the other camp unlocked,raise the banner/landmark behind the falls and all...no one has a conversation for me in the little place at the start...or maybe its like greyed out and I have to press R3...ok I will check again later...

Tower of Bone is the hub for Emprise, go west and you hit the Templar keep for the Imshael quest. Go south and you hit the quarry. Go east and you'll come to the broken bridge that takes you to the dragons in the zone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ENDING SPOILERS
Could be, but that would be super sloppy storytelling. It would come out of nowhere that Solas can do that, whereas we know Flemeth can take over the bodies of her children and that's been a plot point in the past. But then I think a lot of the storytelling in this series where the main plot is concerned has been super sloppy so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you're right.

ENDING SPOILERS (we should probably take this to the other thread), but I hope you're right.
That would be some seriously random shit if it were Solas that possessed Flemeth. I agree that the writing has been sloppy in the past, but this would be a whole new level.

Mindman

So when looking at the Inquisition perks, and it says that I need "4 points in a category" to be able to get one, that means 4 unlocked perks in the same category or so I get these points some other way?

MartyStu

So when looking at the Inquisition perks, and it says that I need "4 points in a category" to be able to get one, that means 4 unlocked perks in the same category or so I get these points some other way?

Yes. You can recruit agents and those count toward your total count.

Ricker

Tower of Bone is the hub for Emprise, go west and you hit the Templar keep for the Imshael quest. Go south and you hit the quarry. Go east and you'll come to the broken bridge that takes you to the dragons in the zone.

Thats my problem though...I see all those markers,even the one for the Grey wardens and Maria but I cant go there...it's mountains all around...but I will check again tonight.

4 in secrets lets say,same category yes...on the 5th,you can get the one to unlock some doors,def hands/tools something for example...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tower of Bone is the hub for Emprise, go west and you hit the Templar keep for the Imshael quest. .

It took me FOREVER to find the front door to that damned keep and it was right there like 2 seconds from the nearest camp.

It also took me forever to find the passage to the northern part of the Western Approach.

MaddenNFL64

ENDING SPOILERS

forgot there was a spoiler thread lol, ill take any future thoughts there. Anyway,
Solas has hidden every aspect of his real self to that point. The revelation that he is Fen'Harel doesn't come out until the very end, who knows what power he actually has.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Bugs?

The game randomly quits on me, so I'm left at the desktop without warning. What the hell is going on? I save every 10 minutes so that I don't lose any progress.

Plus, I've had two crashes that showed a window with errors telling me something about the graphics card (GTX670). The first time that happened was at the character creation.

I've wasted too much time in the Hinterlands and now I'm just bored.

I guess I'll continue with the main quest.

I accidentally did the templar quest and then reloaded and did the mage one.

I think I liked the templar one a lot more, even though it had echos of those awful ME3 dream sequences.

I really miss DAO's subtle creepiness in terms of the fade.

I still feel like it has the absolute weakest opening of any DA, even DA II feels like it had a more cohesive opening sequence, but the content that follows more than makes up for it. It's defiantly a step in the right direction for the series but holy shit the AI is so god awful. I'm still in the god damn hinterlands too after almost 2 days Jesus the quests never stop. I finished all the quests in other areas and I feel like I'll never finish the Hinterlands.
Yep. The intro is abysmal. There's no back story to the "inquisitor." I'm not sure why they failed at something that they used to do well. Then you're just set free to do everything else without any real guide.

Also, everything is too fucking spaced out on these maps. It's really starting to annoy me. Even with horses, you have to find the trail where you can go up the stupidly tall mountain.

I wish we had the Mako, since that shit could scale those awful peaks if you tried hard enough.

Effect

Ugh. I thought I was done with these gender bugs. First my character was referred to as a her and didn't realize it until I was done with the prologue and then had to restart. Now I've encountered another.

I've just had
Morrigan joined the Inquisition and she referees to the Hero of Ferelden as a she and one a person she wasn't on good terms with when I in fact romanced her with a human male mage. Ugh.
I quickly quit the game and double checked the Dragon Age Keep to make sure that information was correct and it was and game goes and does this on me. I thought I was in the clear on this front since other things showed up as they were suppose to.

Is there a way of fixing this? Is this something Bioware is aware of?

Edit: This is bothering me a lot more then I expected or maybe it even should.

Spoilers - Fairly early in the game.

Wtf. Why was the trek to (and first sighting of) Skyhold a cut scene. They should have made it a controllable scene with Solas talking to you as you made the trek. Or at least put you on a horse with a controllable camera. Such a missed opportunity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers - Fairly early in the game.

Wtf. Why was the trek to (and first sighting of) Skyhold a cut scene. They should have made it a controllable scene with Solas talking to you as you made the trek. Or at least put you on a horse with a controllable camera. Such a missed opportunity.

I really hated that part. The game has a strange tendency to just kind of gloss over major events like that.

Ugh. I thought I was done with these gender bugs. First my character was referred to as a her and didn't realize it until I was done with the prologue and then had to restart. Now I've encountered another.

I've just had
Morrigan joined the Inquisition and she referees to the Hero of Ferelden as a she and one a person she wasn't on good terms with when I in fact romanced her with a human male mage. Ugh.
I quickly quit the game and double checked the Dragon Age Keep to make sure that information was correct and it was and game goes and does this on me. I thought I was in the clear on this front since other things showed up as they were suppose to.

Is there a way of fixing this? Is this something Bioware is aware of?

Edit: This is bothering me a lot more then I expected or maybe it even should.

Oh god, I would probably rage quit if that happened to me. I still haven't
met Morrigan in Inquisition yet
but if that happened combined with how pissy the game's technical problems have made as of late, yeah, the story bits getting screwed up would make me really dislike the game.

Effect

Oh god, I would probably rage quit if that happened to me. I still haven't
met Morrigan in Inquisition yet
but if that happened combined with how pissy the game's technical problems have made as of late, yeah, the story bits getting screwed up would make me really dislike the game.

Origin is telling me I've clocked 59 hours on the game. Give or take two or three hours of setting at the menu at times here and there before and after a play session. This is all single player with one multiplayer match. I enjoy playing the game. However I'm really annoyed by this because I'm sure this locks me out of a potential quest line as well without doing anything wrong.
I had my warden do the ritual with Morrigan that resulted in the baby
. I wouldn't really care if this was Dragon Age 2 content as I didn't really finish that game and have no real attachment to it. I played through Origins and I wanted to see that reflected here.

I have a choice to make now. I can either just push on and try not to think about this or stop playing. There is no way in hell I'm starting over with no assurance this won't happen again.

Top Bottom