• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Origin is telling me I've clocked 59 hours on the game. Give or take two or three hours of setting at the menu at times here and there before and after a play session. This is all single player with one multiplayer match. I enjoy playing the game. However I'm really annoyed by this because I'm sure this locks me out of a potential quest line as well without doing anything wrong.
I had my warden do the ritual with Morrigan that resulted in the baby
. I wouldn't really care if this was Dragon Age 2 content as I didn't really finish that game and have no real attachment to it. I played through Origins and I wanted to see that reflected here.

I have a choice to make now. I can either just push on and try not to think about this or stop playing. There is no way in hell I'm starting over with no assurance this won't happen again.

Man... that is awful.

Really the only awesome part about Inquisition for me was seeing my past choices being commented on/accurately reflected in the world. For that to be ruined due to some bug... well I would have just stopped playing.

Have you maybe tried logging out and back in from the main menu and reloading a save before encountering Morrigan? I don't know when the game is actually supposed to refer to your Dragon Age Keep data.

Grisby

Done. After about 100 hours. Course a lot of that was waiting for the voice patch to drop, but it did get me to explore most of the areas.

The final battle was short and kind of funny if you're looking at it from a dev view ("Oh shit, we're out of time fellow dev bros!") but I enjoyed it. Felt epic, and the sight of
two dragons fighting was pretty badass.
Anyone think the DLC is going to be
Hawke at Whaassuuup? I mean, why have him in the character creator deal if you're not gonna have him later on. Although you could have him die I suppose, so maybe not.
Spoilers - Fairly early in the game.

Wtf. Why was the trek to (and first sighting of) Skyhold a cut scene. They should have made it a controllable scene with Solas talking to you as you made the trek. Or at least put you on a horse with a controllable camera. Such a missed opportunity.
I thought it was perfect. I mean, they could have given you control but
it might have been a slow walk type deal like Uncharted's desert scene.

Usually I'm all for controllable scenes, but I felt that the entrance
was perfect (music is so good and that shot of you on the mountain).

Effect

Nope. No luck. Went as far back to a quick save I had when I first started questing. Spoke with Leliana and got to ask her about her past and she was using "she" as well. Checked some of the other older saves and looked at the codex entry. Looks like the import decided to make the warden a Dalish female elf that early on. This is on the second restart I did to fix my main character from being referred to as a female. It's bs that's the part that didn't get imported correctly but it seems other things did.

Edit: Going to take a break from the game and think about what I'm going to do later. Think I need some distance here.

Nope. No luck. Went as far back to a quick save I had when I first started questing. Spoke with Leliana and got to ask her about her past and she was using "she" as well. Checked some of the other older saves and looked at the codex entry. Looks like the import decided to make the warden a Dalish female elf that early on. This is on the second restart I did to fix my main character from being referred to as a female. It's bs that's the part that didn't get imported correctly but it seems other things did.

Edit: Going to take a break from the game and think about what I'm going to do later. Think I need some distance here.

That's real rotten. Sorry dude. :/

zkorejo

Best companions IMO:

1. Cassandra
2. Solas
3. Iron Bull
4. Sera

Rest of them arent bad either but these are my top 4. I swap between Bull and Cassandra. Usually take Cassandra for story missions and Iron Bull for Dragon hunting.

Hmmm... I'd question whether your world state got imported at all if the game is thinking your Warden was a female Dalish. I'm pretty sure a Female Dalish that died killing the Archdemon is the default world state for Origins if you don't import a custom state from the Keep.

Korten

Banned
Wow this game got a lot of shit thrown at in that RPS game award thread. :(

It's almost crazy how much a game can get love in one thread and then in another it's like the game kicked their dog or something. How dare a site think DA:I is better than [insert rpg here.]!

:/

It's almost crazy how much a game can get love in one thread and then in another it's like the game kicked their dog or something. How dare a site think DA:I is better than [insert rpg here.]!

The old trusim holds: those who enjoy a game will be busy playing it while those who didn't will be complaining on GAF.

It's okay. They can hold onto The Banner Saga and Wasteland 2 all they like, and it'll be for a perfectly good reason. I enjoyed them as well, as far as what I've gotten out of them. Good thing too, that these real old school RPGs are coming back. At least now they can leave us alone with our Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls and Deus Ex instead of droning on endlessly about how "This genre used to be so much better."

THE WONDERS OF PC GAMING.

Ralemont

not me

Crazy but expected. If old-school iso cRPG fans didn't bash BioWare games I would actually start to worry.

Then again, RPGCodex is really winning me over with their views on this:

"Some men go out in public dressed like a woman, others play DA. That's how life goes."

That's actually somewhat unexpectedd because RPS is a PC-centric site. I thought Divinity will be a winner for best RPG.
I really can't stand those kind of elitist stance though. "The game is bad and you should feel bad for liking it."

Xeteh

Hmmm... I'd question whether your world state got imported at all if the game is thinking your Warden was a female Dalish. I'm pretty sure a Female Dalish that died killing the Archdemon is the default world state for Origins if you don't import a custom state from the Keep.

You're right, it is the default.

kd-z

That's actually somewhat unexpectedd because RPS is a PC-centric site. I thought Divinity will be a winner for best RPG.
I really can't stand those kind of elitist stance though. "The game is bad and you should feel bad for liking it."
Actually, the RPS team chose their 24 favourite games and THEN came up with the categories. Kinda weird. I would've preferred if they'd just gone with the model they've always used, of presenting the 24 bestest games straight up, without any categories. Some of their readers would passionately argue that Inquisition isn't even an RPG which always leads to unnecessary arguments.

spekkeh

Banned
Iron Bull's personal quest is pretty awesome.
Was just starting it!

10838281_10152597350162643_6814389950873724562_o.jpg

...aaand it bugged. Half the dialogue didn't show up as I was looking at a vague screen of the sea. Oh well.

Romancing is so hard in this game. So Sera and teetness, we're snogging yeah. Also implied offscreen bedsheet boogie. But her personal mission doesn't show up. I did the march, killed most people and I think I'm at the point of no return. Guess it's the youtubes and imagination for me then.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I'm not very far yet. Level 8.5 and still haven't left the Hinterlands.

That said, this game is more great looking than anticipated. Frostbite really is a beast.

For a Dragon Age Sequel(and ME) I think a handful of graphical updates could make it hard to beat.

1. Day Night Cycle/Weather.
The Hinterlands is so god damned beautiful, but I can't always help but think how awesome it would be if it weren't stuck at perpetual high noon. I want sunsets and rises, mist rolling in and out, thunderstorms, overcast days, full moons, etc. So much potential.

2. PBR
I believe this is coming with Battlefront, so I fully expect the DA sequel and ME to use it. This would absolutely transform the beauty of the game. As it does with every game it is implemented in.

3.Tessellation
Specifically, and maybe exclusively to character faces during concersations. Maybe the silhouette tesselation like Uncharted 4. Just to have less polygonal heads during conversation pieces.

4.Subsurface Scattering
On skin of characters, again, in a game you spend so much time staring at faces, this would be invaluable. Much like ME on last gen, non humans look fantastic, while humans look less realistic. I think SSS combined with PBR would go a long way towards balancing that out.

I think these things, and maybe an improved lip syncing method, would go a long way toward making the sequel to DAI, one of the best looking games of the entire generation.

Neil_J_UK

Quote to reveal code for Xbox One which grants:

• Amulet of Master Studies: A foundational application of magic. This Amulet grants an ability point to whoever equips it.
  • Ring of Master Studies: A simple but essential tool that grants the cunning of an innovator.

One use only, first come first serve :)

Effect

This is what it's looking like. I went back and checked what I had verse what is suppose to be the default world state choices in regard to what I've already encountered. There is some overlap (this not being one of them of course) which is why I thought things were okay. I remember taking my time both times I started a character as well because I was worried about how things would go. Ugh this is such BS. Will have to deal because I'm not starting over at this point but this certainly puts a significant negative on my feelings toward this game going forward.

There should be an additional confirmation when hitting major story points to make sure things were imported correctly. Clearly the initial confirmation means nothing. Looking back now and going through the saves I had you are few hours into the game before you start seeing any hint of the choices made and that's if you talk to the right people and go deep into their conversation tree. Coming across a number of post on other forums of people having this issue as well with them thinking things were imported correctly but not.

Grisby

Someone who is prominent on twitter needs to bug Bioware about releasing the tavern songs on Itunes or something. Shit is magical.

Also, I'd buy a whole stack of those tarot cards too.

The main thing I'd be concerned with is that the critical praise the game is getting will just go to the heads of the developers, such that they brush off any criticism. While I think the game is generally good, it has a whole host of pretty major issues too that I would hate if they were overlooked for any potential sequel, especially considering how BioWare seems incapable of iterating game to game and usually just ends up slashing and burning features that don't get critical praise.

I think these things, and maybe an improved lip syncing method, would go a long way toward making the sequel to DAI, one of the best looking games of the entire generation.

More than any more graphical polish, I think the game needs some desperate help with the animation. Whether that's facial animation or giving NPCs some more life out in the world with routines and more animation, I think that should be a huge priority if they stick with the whole open world approach. Its kind of jarring how poor some of the facial animations are in cutscenes given how good the models look and its kind of sad how so many NPCs in the world are just glued in place.

There should be an additional confirmation when hitting major story points to make sure things were imported correctly. Clearly the initial confirmation means nothing. Looking back now and going through the saves I had you are few hours into the game before you start seeing any hint of the choices made and that's if you talk to the right people and go deep into their conversation tree. Coming across a number of post on other forums of people having this issue as well with them thinking things were imported correctly but not.

I find it odd how when importing from the Keep, it doesn't really give you much of an acknowledgment of what world state you imported. Cause in the Keep itself, you can title your world states and it gives you a breakdown of the big events, but the game only imports one world state that you have marked.

I think trying to talk to Leliana or Varric at Haven is the quickest way to confirm your world state imported right but there should be better way even before that when you're importing from the Keep.

Xevren

Someone who is prominent on twitter needs to bug Bioware about releasing the tavern songs on Itunes or something. Shit is magical.

Also, I'd buy a whole stack of those tarot cards too.

Yes to both. The tavern songs are just terrific. I regret not getting the collectors edition just because of the tarot cards =/

Ugh. I thought I was done with these gender bugs. First my character was referred to as a her and didn't realize it until I was done with the prologue and then had to restart. Now I've encountered another.

I've just had
Morrigan joined the Inquisition and she referees to the Hero of Ferelden as a she and one a person she wasn't on good terms with when I in fact romanced her with a human male mage. Ugh.
I quickly quit the game and double checked the Dragon Age Keep to make sure that information was correct and it was and game goes and does this on me. I thought I was in the clear on this front since other things showed up as they were suppose to.

Is there a way of fixing this? Is this something Bioware is aware of?

Edit: This is bothering me a lot more then I expected or maybe it even should.

They referred to my hero of the keep as a she as well. He was a mage who also romanced Morrigan. If I get to her and she refers to it like yours I will be upset.

I was fighting a dragon in Emprise du Lion and it was down to 0 health, but then it walks over to the edge of the platform and goes into standby. He just waves his tail around and ignores me. I can't kill it.

FML

studyguy

Used a horse and just kept hitting jump against the side of the map till I was outside the map boundries in The Storm Coast. Ended up going over the boundry, turned around and I got shot into the air and never came back down.

Fun.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That is strange. Have you left Haven and come back to try again? I don't think I've ever had issue getting it to trigger. The scout does need to be near her for it to happen but other than that I don't know.
Got around to playing today. Zoning out, saving, and reloading in the new zone seems to have fixed it. Very stange and obscure bug. Thanks again for the ideas.

Orcus

Quote to reveal code for Xbox One which grants:

• Amulet of Master Studies: A foundational application of magic. This Amulet grants an ability point to whoever equips it.
  • Ring of Master Studies: A simple but essential tool that grants the cunning of an innovator.

One use only, first come first serve :)

Not sure how this works, but I'll go for it.

Sou Da

Used a horse and just kept hitting jump against the side of the map till I was outside the map boundries in The Storm Coast. Ended up going over the boundry, turned around and I got shot into the air and never came back down.

Fun.

Damn study you're in every thread I go in, don't you got a country to run or something?

studyguy

Damn study you're in every thread I go in, don't you got a country to run or something?

December affords me the time to basically sit in my office and get paid to browse the net for 8 hours. I hardly post on GAF outside work.

Also should I be saving the rarer ores I get for anything in particular?
I've been dropping them into the best armors I can get almost immediately.
So far almost level 10 with a shitload of nice gear and about to head to Val Rayoux(sp?)

Effect

Talk to Leliana and she'll talk about the Hero. If it's wrong then you're in trouble.

Yup I think that's the earliest you can find out and only if you ask her certain questions. Having played DA:O I didn't bother asking her about her past because I already knew it. So it's easy to miss this. Even with that being the earliest point you would still be a few hours into the game.

Does crafted armor ever have upgrade slots? I keep wasting materials to make my best schematics but they end up worse than found gear because I can't upgrade them.

Korten

Banned
Had to kill the Sandy Howler dragon twice in the desert to get the Dragon's Bane trophy. D: Guess people were right, the game doesn't count one of the 10 dragons so you need to kill another.

I'm sorry if this was asked already, but what's the best keep decision if I'm playing as a "good" character in Inquisition?? I'm getting the game as a Chrimbus gift, but the decisions from Dragon's Age Keep is making me paranoid that I'm going to mess up the game world for Inquisition :(

Ralemont

not me
I'm sorry if this was asked already, but what's the best keep decision if I'm playing as a "good" character in Inquisition?? I'm getting the game as a Chrimbus gift, but the decisions from Dragon's Age Keep is making me paranoid that I'm going to mess up the game world for Inquisition :(

Good as in the heroic type? Your decisions from the previous two games don't really affect your role-playing ability in Inquisition. Just go for whatever decisions sound most interesting.

Good as in the heroic type? Your decisions from the previous two games don't really affect your role-playing ability in Inquisition. Just go for whatever decisions sound most interesting.

In the heroic way :) I'm just worried that I might mess something up such as
having a baby with Morgan to create a "God" baby

Lucreto

Okay I think I have a bugged mission.

In Skyhold and Val Royeaux I get the ! icon over the bard in the tavern with the character names Maryden. When I get close the icon disappears but if I change elevation it reappears.

Secondly, Is there a war table mission to collect cloth or leather? I see one for gold, herbs and metals but not cloth and leather. I have not been hunting animals enough to upgrade my light and medium armour.

Thirdly, Where can I find a Dawn Lotus in the Fallow Mire? I want to upgrade my potions but can't find it anywhere.

Rodhull

Okay I think I have a bugged mission.

In Skyhold and Val Royeaux I get the ! icon over the bard in the tavern with the character names Maryden. When I get close the icon disappears but if I change elevation it reappears.

Secondly, Is there a war table mission to collect cloth or leather? I see one for gold, herbs and metals but not cloth and leather. I have not been hunting animals enough to upgrade my light and medium armour.

Thirdly, Where can I find a Dawn Lotus in the Fallow Mire? I want to upgrade my potions but can't find it anywhere.

That happened to me too. If I approached her in Val Royeaux it did nothing but eventually at Skyjold by speaking to her it opened up a war table mission. It didn't really amount to anything so if it doesn't unlock for you I don't think you're missing much.

jgwhiteus

In the heroic way :) I'm just worried that I might mess something up such as
having a baby with Morgan to create a "God" baby

I don't think anything in the Keep affects your ability to play someone heroic or virtuous. The Majority of Keep decisions have no effect at all on the game, beyond some changes in dialogue (for example, Leliana is an adviser regardless of her fate in Origins...) However, there are a few decisions that influence how the plot will play out for certain characters making cameos.

It's tough, because you can't know in advance how certain choices will play out without spoilers, and while you could always change things later in a replay, DA:I is so huge there's a big disincentive against playing the entire game over again just to see a different outcome.

I'll say that two of the Keep decisions that play out plot-wise in DA:I are
1. whether Morrigan has a "God" baby, and 2. the outcome / survivors of the Landsmeet in Origins.
Again, neither decision influences your character, but they do lead to the plot playing out a bit differently - I wouldn't worry about it unless you've played Origins and have a special interest in the characters from that game.

On gathering leather, I think for the regional Resources missions different advisers gather different materials (Cullen tends to gather metals, Leliana herbs? I forget which is which). I wouldn't worry too much about going out of your way to hunt animals; the best cloth / leather tend to be dropped by enemies you fight during the course of the game.

I remember there being some Dawn Lotus in the Southeast region of the Fallow Mire map (in the water surrounding a path full of Stonehenge-like structures), though that's not the only place in FM they appear.

I have a really big problem with the warrior armor in this game.

It looks shit!

I'm level 9 and all I have so far is a few lots of crappy looking armor that is plate mail armor or something? Like little patches all over. It looks like shit and I upgraded it and now its red colour which looks even worse

Grisby

Post game question (major spoilers yo): If I ask
Vivenne to stay does that mean she no longer becomes divine or does she just join my party? Having both her and Solas gone would suck. It does suck that Solas is gone.

Top Bottom