• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

corpserot

Killed the High Dragon, got into the groove of the fade, and beat the game. I gotta say, on retrospect, even though I was really frustrated in the middle, it's one of my favorite RPGs this gen. Can't wait to reroll a rogue.

Once I bound my transformations, The Fade was actually really fun for me.

Doytch said:
The fix basically helps melee rogues who focused much more on dex than str or cun+lethality. It does a lot more to help archers though. Gonna try it out tonight, and start working through the stealth line so I can get combat stealth + guaranteed crits.

There are a dozen ways to play Rogue. I am more of a scout than a Rogue. Constanly scouting ahead laying traps and using poison and grenades. If I can help it the enemy group is at 60-50% health by the time they reach my waiting party.

I am using alot of stagger tactics with alot of pausing I leave my tank in a room plant traps at the doorway, then hit the group cloaked with a grenade lead them into traps on the run then when they charge my tank I call in the rest of the group who are already in flanking position. You can make the combat as deep as you want, even more so on PC I would assume.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Psy-Phi said:
C'est la vie. A bit too much like the real world in that regard it seems :).

Got my freak on with Morrigan, and she still won't teach e Shapeshifting...stupid B! I'm gonna make her hate me with the quickness if she keeps being snooty about it.

Wow. i got her to teach me at the first camp once i left Lothering and im not even a mage. No gifts.. just like 5 minutes of talking. My character isnt a male though so that might have something to do with it.

Mindlog

Duress said:
Those are some tough decisions near the end of the game. I sat there for a couple of minutes thinking about each one. Guess I can't make everyone happy :/

My ending was quite a downer, but I kind of liked it that way.

corpserot said:
Killed the High Dragon, got into the groove of the fade, and beat the game. I gotta say, on retrospect, even though I was really frustrated in the middle, it's one of my favorite RPGs this gen. Can't wait to reroll a rogue.

Once I bound my transformations, The Fade was actually really fun for me.

The forms made that section a lot of fun for me. Was interesting taking on a form to help make the fight easier.

Anerythristic said:
There are a dozen ways to play Rogue. I am more of a scout than a Rogue. Constanly scouting ahead laying traps and using poison and grenades. If I can help it the enemy group is at 60-50% health by the time they reach my waiting party.

I am using alot of stagger tactics with alot of pausing I leave my tank in a room plant traps at the doorway, then hit the group cloaked with a grenade lead them into traps on the run then when they charge my tank I call in the rest of the group who are already in flanking position. You can make the combat as deep as you want, even more so on PC I would assume.

On console the game would have benefited a lot from ghost movement while in the hold menu.

and one or two tactics I would have enjoyed seeing (they might be there I just remembered this)

If mana/stam below X or enemies above Y do not continue tactics beyond this point (return to 1)...
I like Sunder Arms/Armor but when my tank is doing it on his own it gets problematic. He casts it too often when he should be saving for something better (Shout, Warcry, Weapon Sweep). I try to manage it, but as soon as I switch off to handle the more important mage there he is casting it again.

I'd also like to see. If Aura X 'active' Do not cast 'Aura X.' Again another micromanagement issue. I do want my warriors to cast rally, but not both at the same time. So I have to manually rotate when they do it or don't let them cast it at all. It's just a bit more micro than needs to be there.

Tobor

Anerythristic said:

I'm playing as a glass cannon Duelist, so I don't even bother with stealth. Scouting sounds like fun though, maybe on another playthrough.

Vinci

Danish
Tobor said:
I'm playing as a glass cannon Duelist, so I don't even bother with stealth. Scouting sounds like fun though, maybe on another playthrough.

I've always loved rogues in games, so I'm running two of them at the moment. One's a duelist while the other is a scout like Anerythristic has going. Lots of fun and both are pretty damn effective.

KAL2006

Banned
I have a question

Are there any other game where you get to control a party. I like the idea of a game with a party and you get to customise your party with loot and skills. I remember a long time ago (im new to PC gaming by the way) I downloaded a demo of some random shovelware game for PC. It played like Diablo but you controlled 3 characters instead and I enjoyed it alot. Anyway back to the question (please dont list Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights as I already know about them).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ventrue said:
This game is a lot more BGII than it is KOTOR. It's interesting you'd say that actually; in my mind, ME is basically KOTOR minus Star Wars.

I'd also say that DAO is a lot like ME in its cutscenes/dialogue. But the gameplay is distinctly BG.
Never got around to playing BGII so I can't compare DA:O to it ; )

As for ME being KOTOR without Star Wars, in my experience, the differences in the combat system/gameplay & the dialogue system were enough to cause me to throw out the notion that ME was KOTOR without Star Wars 5 minutes into the game. DA:O on the other hand has so far been the opposite experience. The battle system, the landscapes, the menus, and the dialogue system are just screaming KOTOR to me.

I'm sitting here trying to wrap my head around how DA's dialogue system reminds you of ME's, but I just cant. The response list with the mute main character and talking to a party member about the quest at hand on the field are both giving me KOTOR flashbacks. ME's abbreviated dialogue wheel & Shepard's twist on the response and the cinematic look of those interactions/cutscenes is something I wish DA had.

LCfiner said:
Mass Effect was going for a stronger shooter vibe than kotor. Yes, it was still die rills behind the scenes but they encouraged you to play it like a squad based shooter with powerups. They've tried to emphasize this even more with the sequel.

Kotor, otoh, was more obviously a traditional d&d game with a new skin. DA on consoles has much more in common with kotor than mass effect. From combat to character interaction.

All three are great, though
Completely agree :D

KAL2006 said:
I have a question

Are there any other game where you get to control a party. I like the idea of a game with a party and you get to customise your party with loot and skills. I remember a long time ago (im new to PC gaming by the way) I downloaded a demo of some random shovelware game for PC. It played like Diablo but you controlled 3 characters instead and I enjoyed it alot. Anyway back to the question (please dont list Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights as I already know about them).
Have you played KOTOR and KOTOR II?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
KAL2006 said:
I have a question

Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Planescape: Torment
Knight of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil
Wizardry 8 (the previous entries are good too but not modern)
Might and Magic (6-8 if you want to stay modern era)
Anachronox
Drakensang
Betrayal at Krondor
Betrayal in Andara
Lands of Lore series

There are so many im just going to stop right here.

edit: For something you can still buy new in stores today, try Drakensang. i had a lot of fun with it.

KAL2006

Banned
Number 2 said:
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Planescape: Torment
Knight of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil
Wizardry 8 (the previous entries are good too but not modern)
Might and Magic (6-8 if you want to stay modern era)
Anachronox
Drakensang
Betrayal at Krondor
Betrayal in Andara
Lands of Lore series

There are so many im just going to stop right here. For something you can still buy in stores today, try Drakensang. i had a lot of fun with it.

Copy and Paste to notepad. Gonna go do some research on those games when Im bothered

I am on the fence.........I want to play it on whatever platform it will run/look better. I'm not sure if my PC will out perform the 360.

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
Geforce 8800GTS SSC 640Mb
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

Also, is the collectors edition worth it? It looks like it might be, but I have been shammed before.

How say you?

Wrekt

Pookaki said:
I am on the fence.........I want to play it on whatever platform it will run/look better.

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

Also, is the collectors edition worth it? It looks like it might be, but I have been shammed before.

How say you?
I have a similar system. Yours is a tad bit better. I'd say my aging PC is about equal in terms of FPS/graphics with the 360 version so your PC should edge it out just a bit.

So rather than fight at the top of the mountain I listened to the guys in the cave. They want you to
destroy Andraste's ashes by adding Dragon's blood to the pot. Also, if Leliane is in the party, she will turn on you and you kill her.
. And in return they give you the Reaver Specialization, which makes your warriors into some kind of semi-demonic badasses or something of the sort (only level 12 right now so I can't unlock it yet). So if you want the Reaver specialization, but still want to do the mountaintop battle, just save before the conversation with the guys at the top of the mountain, do their quest, get the specialization and then reload and do the other line. The spec stays unlocked on your profile. (like how you can retain specs over multiple playthroughs).

Just thought I'd share that since I didnt get Reaver spec on my first playthrough.

Pookaki said:
I am on the fence.........I want to play it on whatever platform it will run/look better. I'm not sure if my PC will out perform the 360.

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

How say you?

It should pay significantly better on your PC.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pyke Presco said:
So rather than fight at the top of the mountain I listened to the guys in the cave. They want you to
destroy Andraste's ashes by adding Dragon's blood to the pot. Also, if Leliane is in the party, she will turn on you and you kill her.
. And in return they give you the Reaver Specialization, which makes your warriors into some kind of semi-demonic badasses or something of the sort (only level 12 right now so I can't unlock it yet). So if you want the Reaver specialization, but still want to do the mountaintop battle, just save before the conversation with the guys at the top of the mountain, do their quest, get the specialization and then reload and do the other line. The spec stays unlocked on your profile. (like how you can retain specs over multiple playthroughs).

Just thought I'd share that since I didnt get Reaver spec on my first playthrough.
I tried to do this and
Leliana went apeshit and started to attack me.
I reloaded and didn't have enough intimidation to make her shut up, so I ended up not doing it, but im guessing its possible :\

KAL2006 said:
Copy and Paste to notepad. Gonna go do some research on those games when Im bothered

Icewind dale, Torment, Arcanum and ToEE are some of my favourite games, the first 3 have widescreen mods so they look fantastic even to this day. (torment and IWD have some of the finest 2d top down art you'll ever see)

Wag

Love the game, but they really need to add a large text option for the PC version because I think I'm going to go blind reading all the tiny Codex entries even at 1920x1200 on my 24" LCD display.

Also, I find Tactics bewildering. Is there a brief, simple, "How To" guide on Tactics on the net yet?

bran

Wag said:
Love the game, but they really need to add a large text option for the PC version because I think I'm going to go blind reading all the tiny Codex entries even at 1920x1200 on my 24" LCD display.

Also, I find Tactics bewildering. Is there a brief, simple, "How To" guide on Tactics on the net yet?

I find the tactics missing some stupidly obvious options, like for example allowing my healer to do a "if any friendly or self hp < 50%" instead of having to make 2 options, 1 for self, 1 for friendly.

Zeliard

bran said:
I find the tactics missing some stupidly obvious options, like for example allowing my healer to do a "if any friendly or self hp < 50%" instead of having to make 2 options, 1 for self, 1 for friendly.

Yeah, I think they did that purposefully to make opening up new combat tactics slots more meaningful.

If you have the PC version there's a mini-mod out there somewhere to unlock every tactic slot for every character immediately if you don't want to mess with unlocking them (I think you can get up to 25).

Mrbob

Pookaki said:

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

How say you?

PC version. It will look nicer on medium settings and run just as well at you native res.

Also, the game plays differently on PC versus 360. Console versions are not as tactical as the PC version. The isometric view with the ability to pause the game allows for more gameplay depth. You can move multiple characters around at once on the PC version, with better spatial judgement from the over the top viewpoint.

bran

Zeliard said:
Yeah, I think they did that purposefully to make opening up new combat tactics slots more meaningful.

If you have the PC version there's a mini-mod out there somewhere to unlock every tactic slot for every character immediately if you don't want to mess with unlocking them (I think you can get up to 25).

The most useful condition/action is the one that allows: if X, switch to tactic preset Y, that allows you to switch your party members roles. I haven't spent the time to look into how well it works. Has anybody been using that?

Like, if Enemy count > 5, switch to healer role, otherwise, stay as damager.

Zeliard

bran said:
The most useful condition/action is the one that allows: if X, switch to tactic preset Y, that allows you to switch your party members roles. I haven't spent the time to look into how well it works. Has anybody been using that?

Like, if Enemy count > 5, switch to healer role, otherwise, stay as damager.

I micromanage very heavily so I haven't messed with tactics much outside of the very basic stuff like setting characters to use healing pots and such. I also equipped Morrigan with a Nightmare combo (sleep/horror), which seemed to work pretty nicely, but I replaced her with Zevran recently regardless.

I'm assuming you can effectively set some other spell combos and some pretty interesting stuff there, but since I enjoy micromanaging, the tactics menu is mostly irrelevant to me (I don't disable it but I basically just try to make sure it doesn't get in my way).

Hell, I didn't even know it was possible to actually set it to switch tactic preset under a certain condition.

RPGCrazied

hope we get some more dlc soon

am missing my lvl 20 templar/reaver already :p
have started a rogue tho.. just wish I could do more stuff on my main dude

Zeliard said:
Has anyone installed the dexterity hotfix who's playing on Hard or Nightmare? How's that working out?

Respect enemy archers. They are a secondary-tier threat right behind mages, as they should be.

I saw huge increases in both accuracy and DPS on Leliana (full rogue archery spec w/ lockpicking) and a decent longbow.

This is on Hard, I keep waffling between Hard and Nightmare.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Pookaki said:

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

How say you?
Well, with a 2.93Ghz C2D and a ~9800 GT, I'm averaging 30fps at 1680x1050, high settings and 2xAA, already way beyond the 360 version. At 1280x960, you'll be even further.
Zeliard said:
Has anyone installed the dexterity hotfix who's playing on Hard or Nightmare? How's that working out?
I'm on Hard, playing a Rogue archer. I'm still early on, but it's going well, other than being pretty complex and difficult to an RPG newblet like myself.

As was said, respect enemy archers. Before I installed it, I would always ignore them until the melee was dealt with (because they missed so much), but now I've had to really adopt a deeper level of tactics. I love it.

Killthee said:
Never got around to playing BGII so I can't compare DA:O to it ; )

As for ME being KOTOR without Star Wars, in my experience, the differences in the combat system/gameplay & the dialogue system were enough to cause me to throw out the notion that ME was KOTOR without Star Wars 5 minutes into the game. DA:O on the other hand has so far been the opposite experience. The battle system, the landscapes, the menus, and the dialogue system are just screaming KOTOR to me.

I'm sitting here trying to wrap my head around how DA's dialogue system reminds you of ME's, but I just cant. The response list with the mute main character and talking to a party member about the quest at hand on the field are both giving me KOTOR flashbacks. ME's abbreviated dialogue wheel & Shepard's twist on the response and the cinematic look of those interactions/cutscenes is something I wish DA had.

Completely agree :D

Have you played KOTOR and KOTOR II?

I agree with this 100%.

bran said:
Seems like a great way to waste all your good potions.

Only if you do not know what you are doing.

Also, i finally really understand why FF12 rationed out the gambits. They can be overwhelming all at once.

markot

Banned
Even if your computer will run it worse then the Xbox, its still the better platform. There are gonna be alot of mods and crap made by the community for this game.

Zeliard

Fragamemnon said:
Respect enemy archers. They are a secondary-tier threat right behind mages, as they should be.

I saw huge increases in both accuracy and DPS on Leliana (full rogue archery spec w/ lockpicking) and a decent longbow.

This is on Hard, I keep waffling between Hard and Nightmare.

K.Jack said:
I'm on Hard, playing a Rogue archer. I'm still early on, but it's going well, other than being pretty complex and difficult to an RPG newblet like myself.

As was said, respect enemy archers. Before I installed it, I would always ignore them until the melee was dealt with (because they missed so much), but now I've had to really adopt a deeper level of tactics. I love it.

As I figured. No more wholesale ignoring of enemy archers, I guess. :p

I'm gonna install it. Zevran will thank me.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Pookaki said:

Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2 Gigs Ram
I'd run it at 1280x960

or

Xbox 360

How say you?

I have a similar system and it put all settings on max by default i think. Looks good enough to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ya archers are a nightmare for me, especially since I roll all melee a lot. 33 hours in and I still don't have anyone who has heal :lol

Crisco

Banned
Game is amazing, and gives me high hopes for the future of WRPGs. I was getting worried that FPS/RPG hybrids like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect were all we were going to get from now on. I really hope this game sells well so they make a sequel.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Goddamn EA for making use their crappy servers to download DLC from (and apparently to authenticate it each time we try to run the game). This would be fine if their servers aren't constantly going down. As of now I can't load saves because the game doesn't think my Embri's pocket belt and Lucky Stone ring are authorized. And I can't download and installed this DLC again because I can't login to EA's flakey servers.

So. Fucking. Annoying.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Zeliard said:
As I figured. No more wholesale ignoring of enemy archers, I guess. :p

I'm gonna install it. Zevran will thank me.

Even before the fix high level npc archers were dangerous due to some of the multi-hit skills. Not so much for damage but for interrupts/stuns.

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya archers are a nightmare for me, especially since I roll all melee a lot. 33 hours in and I still don't have anyone who has heal :lol

My best group yet was 3 mages and a rogue, lol. I made Liliana an archer so I had to bring a tank into the mix to balance things out-still three ranged and one melee though.

I do think I could do 3 mages and Zevran, especially in a second playthrough with stuff unlocked. Would really just revolve around having one mage min/max arcane warrior with spells that don't require having a staff out (weird bug I think) as a utility caster.

BeeDog

Just when I thought the game was losing steam, I arrive to the dwarven city. Dayum! :D Game is awesome, awesome is Dragon Age: Origins. Deffo in my top 3 this year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need this answered! Does changing difficulty eliminate any chance of getting an end-game achievement for beating the game, say.. in Normal?

Top Bottom