• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Dennis

Banned
mr stroke said:
WOW that looks clean as a babies ass.

Assuming PC version maxed all settings?
(what are your PC specs by the way)

Yes, PC all settings max with 8xAA and 16xAF. Getting about 40 fps at 2560x1600.

CPU: Intel Core2 Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
GPU: ATI 4870x2
RAM: 8GB
Vista 64bit

Kintaro said:
Delicious irony. I never seem to recall any reviews from 1up asking for console ports to be better for PC gamers...

Very funny. The price thing is a little funny too, since most people with gaming PCs spent more than the price of a 360 + $10 on theirs.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I feel perhaps these negative reviews come from people that simple are either tired of the fantasy genre, or just never liked them to begin with.

I can't tell you how many reviews I've read where a game is lambasted for it's fantasy setting. Some people really do just want space marines and cowboys or something.

garath

ShineALight said:
Very funny. The price thing is a little funny too, since most people with gaming PCs spent more than the price of a 360 + $10 on theirs.

Except add on an HDTV and you have probably outpriced that gaming PC.

Even an SDTV pushes you into the range of a moderate gaming PC with monitor.

edit:

SnakeswithLasers said:
Are there really only 3 starting classes and then 2 specialization options for each?

Didn't want to sift through the whole thread.

3 Starting classes, 4 specializations each, you can choose up to 2. One at level 7, one at level 14.

LCfiner

Y2Kev said:
Why did GameSpot give the PS3 version a higher score than the 360 version?

they preferred the better textures and facial animation on the PS3 compared to the 360's better framerate.

FrankT

Y2Kev said:

This effectively;

AlphaSnake said:
Just took a look at the Xbox 360 version on a proper screen and while the texture detail in the PS3 game, is indeed a little bit sharper, the framerate of the X360 game is still what I prefer more. The game is pretty bland looking to begin with, so at this point, I don't care which version has better textures...I just want the best running game.

Oh and they say longer loading times except they don't really say how it compares with the HDD. One has slightly better textures and the other more solid framerate, which they kind of it brush aside, but when you look at the Kotaku review it ain't so easily brushed aside. Should of been docked as well on performance alone (which others have mentioned here).

Edit: This is one cheapo regular edition box.

Lothars

ShineALight said:

Not really but it's still part of the issue where it's more expensive on console than PC, though I think for the most part you can't go wrong with either version.

stuminus3

Gonna buy this today if I can find it, I have a painful need to add to my collection of BioWare games that I love with all my heart but have never finished. This will be the worst offender since BGII. :lol

garath

FrostuTheNinja said:
I can't tell you how many reviews I've read where a game is lambasted for it's fantasy setting. Some people really do just want space marines and cowboys or something.

I dont think the fantasy realm is tapped well enough. At least not on the consoles. The pc has been the breeding ground for many instant classics based in the fantasy realm. I can't think of very many console fantasy games offering this much content and being this damn good. The fact that its on consoles and pcs makes it better for everyone. Regardless of its setting, if its done well, then its done well.

But again if someone is reviewing this and doesn't like fantasy games, thats like me reviewing a sports game, I hate sport games. Period. Just dont find them fun, doesn't mean they are shitty though. Yet I wouldn't dare review it. Just not my thing nor would it be fair. I'm biased against them.

wonkyaddict

Neo Member
Damn, this install is torturing me right now.

Off topic: Gamestop didn't charge me tax for the game or the MS points I bought today. Is this a new policy or something?

FrankT

wonkyaddict said:

Off topic: Gamestop didn't charge me tax for the game or the MS points I bought today. Is this a new policy or something?

You should have definitely been charged tax for the game heh.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
But again if someone is reviewing this and doesn't like fantasy games, thats like me reviewing a sports game, I hate sport games. Period. Just dont find them fun, doesn't mean they are shitty though. Yet I wouldn't dare review it. Just not my thing nor would it be fair. I'm biased against them.

I hear you. It just doesn't make much sense to give a review for an action platformer to a guy who's favorite genre is the FPS.

Publications and websites need to realize they should review games based on their respective demographics.

LCfiner

wonkyaddict said:

did you pay with store credit? I haven't been charged with tax when I've done that in the past.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
whatevermort said:
Great! Now you can all read John Walker's excellent review from PC Gamer UK.

Oh, and if we're listing faults, one appalling gaff is the failure to change family members' skin colour if you roleplay a non-caucasian. My main protagonist, a black man, lived as a sort of reverse 'The Jerk', where no one mentioned that his mother, father and brothers were all white.

:lol

Hey, now, keep an open mind. Maybe he's adopted. (I have to agree that's a pretty big oversight, if true.)

DeadGzuz

Banned
Y2Kev said:

On the flip side, the Xbox 360 version looks positively disappointing. Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however. The PC version is the superior experience, but if you're choosing between the two console releases, the PlayStation 3 has the upper hand.

Insomniac vindicated, graphics > frame rate?

Jtyettis said:
Nope, but my Gamestop had just got their shipment for them. So check around I'd say.

My Gamestop ended up having it. Every copy that wasn't preordered was unwrapped. I wish I would have been able to check Best Buy, but this thread didn't inspire confidence about the availability of the ps3 version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Reading reviews makes me sad I don't have a better PC. Console gamers = second class plebs confirmed :(

Hari Seldon

So is it better to take 2 widely different specializations or 2 that complement each other? I was thinking Arcane Warrior as my first spec, then maybe Templar or Shapeshifter as my second one.

FrankT

DeadGzuz said:
Insomniac vindicated, graphics > frame rate?

Which I don't really buy at all their argument there considering how much Kotaku poo pood on the PS3 version performance. Certainly not just jittery when swiveling camera like they try to argue. As has been stated by many others here plus all the pop-in. Performance matters.

Y2Kev said:
Reading reviews makes me sad I don't have a better PC. Console gamers = second class plebs confirmed :(

Yup, I've got a more than capable rig and I will likely double dip at some point. Those pics from the last page are very nice indeed.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My copy was just shipped for next day delivery via courier (PC ver) UK gafer here, shame I got to spend the whole day is work thinking about it.

Just got the normal version, as I got a feeling there will be mods that unlock the special edtion items, and they gimped the UK CE.

Jtyettis said:
Which I don't really buy at all their argument there considering how much Kotaku poo pood on the PS3 version performance. Certainly not just jittery when swiveling camera like they try to argue. As has been stated by many others here plus all the pop-in. Performance matters.

I missed it when we took Kotaku above actual reviewers now as a higher standard. A new dawn on gaf has appeared!

FrankT

BattleMonkey said:
I missed it when we took Kotaku above actual reviewers now as a higher standard. A new dawn on gaf has appeared!

I've never had an issue with Kotaku. Only GAF. But more importantly we have actual people in here saying the same, which is greater than all.

garath

Absoludacrous said:
Any spoilers in the GT review? Sometimes they're pretty bad about that.

A few. Minor minor stuff though. Mostly locales and general story premise. General stuff at most. Still they are things I didn't know. So take it as you will. I'm still watching it. My net connection at work is pretty slow and the HD version is taking awhile.

Flib

Hari Seldon said:
So is it better to take 2 widely different specializations or 2 that complement each other? I was thinking Arcane Warrior as my first spec, then maybe Templar or Shapeshifter as my second one.

Templars are a Warrior specialization, Arcane Warrior and Shapeshifter are Mage specialization.

Jtyettis said:
I've never had an issue with Kotaku. Only GAF. But more importantly we have actual people in here saying the same, which is greater than all.

No one in here has really said the framerate was horrible though, they say its not as good as the other versions but it's not as bad as Kotaku made it out to be.

The live stream of it doesn't look all that bad either on PS3.

The gamespot review though makes it sound like the 360 version is really washed out and ugly somehow.

LCfiner

I can't see the GT review at work. any comments stand out? console version comparisons? or is the review pretty much identical to what we've already read?

Top Bottom