• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

dmann

Bought it retail at Best Buy during my lunch break. What's with the b/w manuals? Is it so hard to have beautiful color manuals, damn cheapo EA.

Now I gotta wait until I get off of work.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LCfiner said:
I can't see the GT review at work. any comments stand out? console version comparisons? or is the review pretty much identical to what we've already read?

Little comparisons, nothing specific. Backhanded compliments regarding the fantasy settings or something. Generally positive. 9.1 was the score.

Well, there's no more timer on Steam(And it's on the main page as a "New Release")... But in my games list, it still says unreleased.

Edit: A good old fashioned restart of Steam is all that was needed. Thanks!

Enjoy the game!

If I buy this game in store can I "redeem" it with steam and download it from there? I ask because my brother will buy it for me and can send me the CD-key :)

FrankT

BattleMonkey said:
No one in here has really said the framerate was horrible though, they say its not as good as the other versions but it's not as bad as Kotaku made it out to be..

Not really true. If you were to argue 20 is not horrible perhaps;

AlphaSnake said:
I'd say just around or below 20. It's low enough that it's extremely obvious.

El_TigroX said:
I'm going to add my voice into the mix. I've been playing it on the PS3 and the frame rate is indeed rough. Most of the time, it's noticeable, but there are some times, particularly in big boss fights where it starts to chug.

The game's going to take a hit on its score for technical reasons alone on the PS3 side.

edit: I have no insight to PC or Xbox 360 versions....

I've been perusing the reviews all this morning that I think that I'm sold on this as my big fall game to play. I might wait to see if we get a sale for the holiday season on the PC version though.

The Eurogamer review is a little unnerving, but considering that I've enjoyed plenty of RPGs that struggle with slightly dull / generic settings I don't think this will be a big issue for me.

The best news for me was in the Gamespot review:
The tempo is even quicker than the Dungeons & Dragons games that preceded Dragon Age, thanks to important tweaks that minimize downtime. For example, you do not need to rest between encounters to replenish your health and recharge your spells. Instead, health and stamina are replenished quickly once the skirmish ends, allowing you to string encounters together without unwanted breaks in between. Should a party member fall during battle, he or she will be resuscitated once the battle has ended, albeit with a stat penalty applied (though it can be cured with an injury kit). These factors, and more, give Dragon Age an excellent sense of forward direction.

It's nice to see a 50 hour game that's not being lengthened by player-unfriendly adherance to some pen and paper ancestor.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Well, it unlocking over an hour and a half early on Steams a pretty nice surprise, BUT DECRYPT FASTER.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Damn so the PS3 is graphically good. I don't mind a few dips and here, my PC is currently occupied for me to game on it for long hours.

It's also not the type of game that is frame rate sensitive, unlike Mas Effect which has shooting mechanics.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also, more pics damnit! Give us steam layabouts something to peruse while we mash decrypt repeatedly...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Brandon F said:
Keeps trying to decrypt and stops. Damnit all!

I restarted my comp and it started to actually decrypt and not just jump to 100% instantly every time I tried to unlock it, though nows its stuck at 79% for the past 5 min.

FrankT

More awesome pics above.

Synless said:
Did we figure out why the PS3 version comes with the armor for ME2 yet?

I thought they already stated it did, but which can only be used for PC/360 copy (interchangeable that is). I could be wrong about.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Restarting steam worked. Game is decrypting, but my god is it painfully sloooooooowwwwww.....

Vlodril

bah it is only for us people still says 2 days 23 hours for me.. why on earth are there different release dates for downloadable content.. sucks.

epmode

Vlodril said:
bah it is only for us people still says 2 days 23 hours for me.. why on earth are there different release dates for downloadable content.. sucks.
The answer to this and other questions about shitty digital distribution practices: Blame Retail

Synless

Jtyettis said:
More awesome pics above.

I thought they already stated it did, but which can only be used for PC/360 copy (interchangeable that is). I could be wrong about.
I find it so weird that they would include this with the PS3 game assuming people own either of those.

FrankT

Synless said:
I find it so weird that they would include this with the PS3 game assuming people own either of those.

Again, I could be wrong about that. Someone will surely have the CE today. According to IGN originally they stated it wasn't to be included, but I thought Bioware had later said the codes would be interchangeable and thus included.

Anyhow, onto the game. They start you out with shades of grey pretty quickly here.

Jtyettis said:
Again, I could be wrong about that. Someone will surely have the CE today. According to IGN originally they stated it wasn't to be included, but I thought Bioware had later said the codes would be interchangeable and thus included.

Anyhow, onto the game. They start you out with shades of grey pretty quickly here.

Yeah, the codes are tied to your EA account rather than your platform so you can use the armor on either 360 or PC, or maybe even both if you double dip.

Synless said:

Better than not including it and having some people miss out on content.

FrankT

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Yeah, the codes are tied to your EA account rather than your platform so you can use the armor on either 360 or PC, or maybe even both if you double dip.

Ah I see.

Jtyettis said:

They said during the PSBlog chat that the codes would be registered through your EA Account so they would be interchangeable...I don't think they said much else though.

Sceren

Neo Member
I don't know if this helps, but here's what came in my PS3 collector's edition:

dmwqcx.png

(After reading the GS review I decided to stick with my PS3 pre-order.)

What the hell? It went from 0 to 100% over and over. So I restarted. Then I decrypted it normally. Then it ran first time setup. Now it's back to the instant decrypting and won't run!? FUCK.

Top Bottom