• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really does feel like this tournament arc came way too early. They could've built on a few of the universes in arcs before finally delving into this tournament of power. Really hard to care for any universe that isn't 7. We only cared about U10 because of Gowasu lol.

Heck yeah it did. This would be a lot better if were were even more accustomed to many of these characters.

And then we could still have "mystery" characters like what Pyromaniac is saying. The current balance though is definitely not ideal IMO.

Say if we had multiple arcs before this involving different universes, that's a lot more time to come up with more quality character designs too that would then be used in this tournament.

Daingurse

I wouldn't have minded more build-up leading up to the tournament, to flesh out the other universes some more. But it seems like people were already getting impatient, and wanted the tournament to start lol.

Skeeter49

"Toriyama, people didn't like the Future Trunks arc. Our attempt at fleshing out U10 failed."
Toriyama: "Erase them all. Back to Step 1."
"Don't you think that's a little extreme."
Toriyama: "You're right, next arc we're erasing all the universes but U7."

No amount of build up would make Jiren interesting.
What if he gets really talkative during Baseball?

We should have had at least an appearance of Rumsshi and Cus during the Zamasu arc
No amount of build up would make Jiren interesting.
would you prefer this
3UoD5lj.jpg

Sciz

Assuming that the universes aren't really getting deleted forever, running the tournament first lets them keep it moving at a brisk pace, and serves as a test run for a whole bunch of characters such that the more interesting and popular ones can then be fleshed out later.

Introduce all the universes in their own arcs first and the tournament either lasts forever in an effort to focus on everyone or you get legions of fanboys complaining that their favorites are jobbing, and in any case most of them were probably already flattened by Goku earlier anyway.

Skeeter49

I never went into the tournament arc expecting to care about U2, 3, 4, 9 and 10, or their fighters. I figure that'll come after this tournament, and I'm fine with that. I think we will get a rematch later on in Super, where Zeno dictates the same fighters have to be used, so every God is focused on training them.

I've liked most of the fighters in U11, except the lasso Pride Trooper, and so far Jiren. Yeah they were overall weak, but as a team you see how their powers could work to take even Goku out. Same for U6 besides Cabba, and that doctor looks lame.

U2 kind of interested me with the sailor moon theme, but not to the point where I wanted to learn more about their universe. And the only ones from U9 who interest me are Lavender and Basil.

I said I'd only care about U10 if Gowasu went back to the time Future Trunks went to, in order to free Zamasu for the tournament, and that didn't happen so I have no reason to care about them.

Assuming that the universes aren't really getting deleted forever, running the tournament first lets them keep it moving at a brisk pace, and serves as a test run for a whole bunch of characters such that the more interesting and popular ones can then be fleshed out later.

Introduce all the universes in their own arcs first and the tournament either lasts forever in an effort to focus on everyone or you get legions of fanboys complaining that their favorites are jobbing, and in any case most of them were probably already flattened by Goku earlier anyway.
Let's face it, no one is getting deleted, we've known that ever since it was revealed the SDB's were the prize. I think the consequence to that will be there's a no multires rule on them, or Zeno says there'll be another tournament in 5 years, and if you beat U7, U7 will be the only universe erased. Setting U7 up as the villain universe.

Azerare

They haven't shown much of his character yet, they're keeping him as a background element currently, I imagine he's going to become more of a character when the focus is actually on him.

True. Maybe it's like a Hit situation where development will only occur with a fight against Goku.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I still don't understand how SSG Goku and Beerus fight was a threat to the Universe but Goku gets his ass kicked easily with SSGB. Even Toppo tanked that SSGB kamehameha. I really hope they clarify this shit soon.

Daingurse

I still don't understand how SSG Goku and Beerus fight was a threat to the Universe but Goku gets his ass kicked easily with SSGB. Even Toppo tanked that SSGB kamehameha. I really hope they clarify this shit soon.

Just don't think about it man. That's what I have to do, and it makes things much simpler. It's not like this series is known for great power-scaling anyway lol.

Magwik

Banned
Goku couldn't control the power.
Goku can now control the power.

Daingurse

The 180 we did on him was well deserved, dude is boring af so far

This is the one dude in the tournament who could knock Goku on his ass without me blinking, and he hasn't even done a fucking thing yet. I kinda respect him for that alone lol. He just exudes an aura of power with his very presence. I like Jiren haha.

caliph95

Same reason they haven't destroyed the planet in z and people started tanking solar system destroying blasts

I like Jiren's design and jokes about him but I'll wait to judge him as a character when he gets the spotlight

He could have gained my respect if he knocked Kale out of the ring tho :/ Thanks to not doing that four of his team members went out...

Skeeter49

Were people ever interested in Jiren?
I don't get how Jiren is a pride trooper. The Ginyu force would never have let Jiren in.

I like Jiren's design and jokes about him but I'll wait to judge him as a character when he gets the spotlight

He could have gained my respect if he knocked Kale out of the ring tho :/ Thanks to not doing that four of his team members went out...
We would have went from Kale taking them out to Goku taking them out, since they were going after Goku regardless.

When were people that hyped about him? He's always had a lukewarm/mixed reception just based on his design. My opinion of him hasn't changed much since then considering he hasn't really done much to warrant an opinion change.

I agree. The dude has nothing unique to him.

Hard to say there isn't anything unique about him when he still hasn't gotten spot light.
They're clearly keeping him as a background element on purpose right now, once he gets focus I'm sure he'll start showing what's unique about him and start showing what kind of character he is.

LotusHD

Banned
Were people ever interested in Jiren?
I don't get how Jiren is a pride trooper. The Ginyu force would never have let Jiren in.

Design might've been initially off-putting to some, but I dunno, was pretty hype with the whole "Get lost" thing. Then after that, nothing. And like others said, he went easy on Kale, and lost people because of it, so... meh.

Like I get that he's probably fighting Goku last, but damn, let him do something cool already.

When were people that hyped about him? He's always had a lukewarm/mixed reception just based on his design. My opinion of him hasn't changed much since then considering he hasn't really done much to warrant an opinion change.

It only really got bad when we realized he was going to take forever to show any emotion lol, doesn't even have to fight, just talk already, the whole "distant cool guy" act only lasts for so long :p

caliph95

Design might've been initially off-putting to some, but I dunno, was pretty hype with the whole "Get lost" thing. Then after that, nothing. And like others said, he went easy on Kale, and lost people because of it, so... meh.

Like I get that he's probably fighting Goku last, but damn, let him do something cool already.
Or say something

We already had this with Hit

They already established that his fighting style is waiting for people to attack him, he only attacked Kale because she could have killed people and he didn't go easy on her, he took her out in one hit and then Caulifla saved her.

It only really got bad when we realized he was going to take forever to show any emotion lol, doesn't even have to fight, just talk already, the whole "cool guy" act only lasts for so long :p

He didn't look at his explosion when taking down Kale 👀

I honestly didn't want this tournament until they were getting ready to end the damn show. I wanted several arcs involving the other universes, some real build up so I can give a shit about them.

LotusHD

Banned
They already established that his fighting style is waiting for people to attack him, he only attacked Kale because she could have killed people and he didn't go easy on her, he took her out in one hit and then Caulifla saved her.

Okay, then let someone attack him (without cowering away) at the last second then. :p

As for Kale, maybe "going easy" is not the right phrase, but uhh, maybe make sure you finished the job of actually knocking her out before turning your back on her, assuming that was his goal. And if it wasn't his goal, then well yea, he went easy on her.

Im gonna wait to judge Jiren until we gonna see more than 5 seconds of him.

Him taking out Kale was like 30 seconds ;D

Lol. Jiren will deliver. Dude is going to be on some Superboy-Prime level shit. Ya'll just wait! Goku ain't ready.

tumblr_oofefqbYwC1sm2kxyo1_400.gif

I know he'll eventually rectify all of this, just find it very boring how they're utilizing him so far.

Skeeter49

Why has Jiren been giving Frieza a free pass, who has been torturing people?

As for Kale, maybe "going easy" is not the right phrase, but uhh, maybe make sure you finished the job of actually knocking her out before turning your back on her, assuming that was his goal. And if it wasn't his goal, then well yea, he went easy on her.
Kale and Frieza will join as U11 fighters by the end of this tournament. Believe. Jiren redeemed. All a long con.

I still want Jiren to actually be a goofy idiot like Goku, Toppo told him they needed a silent badass on the team to round it out and Jiren was perfect since he's the strongest.

caliph95

I never went into the tournament arc expecting to care about U2, 3, 4, 9 and 10, or their fighters. I figure that'll come after this tournament, and I'm fine with that. I think we will get a rematch later on in Super, where Zeno dictates the same fighters have to be used, so every God is focused on training them.

I've liked most of the fighters in U11, except the lasso Pride Trooper, and so far Jiren. Yeah they were overall weak, but as a team you see how their powers could work to take even Goku out. Same for U6 besides Cabba, and that doctor looks lame.

U2 kind of interested me with the sailor moon theme, but not to the point where I wanted to learn more about their universe. And the only ones from U9 who interest me are Lavender and Basil.

I said I'd only care about U10 if Gowasu went back to the time Future Trunks went to, in order to free Zamasu for the tournament, and that didn't happen so I have no reason to care about them.

Let's face it, no one is getting deleted, we've known that ever since it was revealed the SDB's were the prize. I think the consequence to that will be there's a no multires rule on them, or Zeno says there'll be another tournament in 5 years, and if you beat U7, U7 will be the only universe erased. Setting U7 up as the villain universe.
I mean more than not really caring about their fates because yeah we spent time with the z fighters o just find hard to really care outside of some funny moments or cool moments to give a shit who they're fighting because besides u9 none of the new universes had a memorable fight or showcase besides making our guys look good which ok but doesn't make the fights much interesting

Azerare

Why has Jiren been giving Frieza a free pass, who has been torturing people?

Kale and Frieza will join as U11 fighters by the end of this tournament. Believe. Jiren redeemed. All a long con.
Jiren really seems to only care about the high profile stuff. Like when Kale went berserk and he was about to step in with that weird smell the magical trio did.

Although besides that, he seems content just waiting it out.

HeroR

I mean more than not really caring about their fates because yeah we spent time with the z fighters o just find hard to really care outside of some funny moments or cool moments to give a shit who they're fighting because besides u9 none of the new universes had a memorable fight or showcase besides making our guys look good which ok but doesn't make the fights much interesting

Have to disagree. U6 has plenty memorable fights and moments like Magetta and Botamo teaming up to fight Super Saiyan Vegeta, Hit using his power to help his teammates, everything with Cali and Kale, Cabba taking out two people in his base form without even acknowledging their existence and challenging Vegea, U2 in general with their magical girl line.

I never said you did. Again, I said reincarnation. I'm not saying death. You keep missing this. But I just looked it up and there's no proof that good guys eventually get reincarnated, just bad guys. (So bad guys would have a reason to be mad at Goku based off of those standards)

This situation isn't directly comparable and I'll tell you why. One is that if you have an illness, you're likely going to be suffering for that next year, but lets say this illness doesn't cause any discomfort, you just die in a year. Well the fact that you're giving me a choice makes it worse, because I'm still living 1 year with the thought that death is for sure coming in that time frame. In the scenario of DBS, these people could have lived 1000+ more years in blissful ignorance without knowing they were going to be erased in such a way, and yes to me that's way better than the other option. The fact that you're when asking me this question and saying there's "no right answer" proves my point. My argument is that hate thrown at Goku would be justified, because anyone who goes by my similar mindset would have a good reason to be mad a Goku.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I'm not using my personal beliefs to somehow dictate how the death in DB works. I'm using it to tell you why hate toward Goku could be justified. As for the bolded, obviously they're not thinking that, it's not like they know everything would have been fine in 1000 years because of how Gowasu went forward in time, but anyone who holds disdain for Goku would be completely justified in doing so for reasons mentioned above. As for the last part, you're just unnecessarily moving the goalpost. I'm saying any hate that gets thrown at Goku is justified, and nothing more. You have no idea what is actually going on in every character's mind and you can't say exactly "why characters that hate Goku, hate Goku". Hate for Goku can be justified here. So fans have a real reason to give him crap, and so do characters in the show.

I only mentioned reincarnation in the broad sense since I assumed you already know that we have never heard about a good person being reincarnated in Dragon Ball. Only evil people once cleansed.

It is because the other lower universe have an illness and it's called their low mortal ranking. The theme of Dragon Ball is that it's always better to take you fate in your hand and fight even if the outcome isn't in your favor then lived in blissful ignorance or go down without a fight. Which is why people point out that the other universes should be grateful because they were giving their only chance to save themselves, while before they had none other than raising their mortal ranking that they didn't even know was low to begin with. And the hate for the audience is, quite frankly, not reflected in the show because as I said, no one is thinking 'I could have existed for another 1000 years'.

Injecting your personal belief on life and death and making judgements on a character based on it really doesn't work because, again, Dragon Ball has a very clear story on how death works. To the people in the series, they die, they go to the afterlife. They still exists and if they were really good can even see their families again. Death isn't the end. Eraser, is the end. So the people in Dragon Ball are not fighting to live in this tournament. They're fighting to even exist, which is what many are not wrapping their heads around since they see eraser and death as the same thing or not much different. Also, the 1000 years is just a guess anyway since just because Gowasu went into the future 1000 years and everything was fine doesn't mean that future is promised, which is another assumption people cling to. Not even Gowasu, who saw the future of his universe 1000 years in the future, made this argument.

To be blunt, all the 'people are justified to hate Goku because this and that', are ignoring statements and cherrypicking.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Same reason they haven't destroyed the planet in z and people started tanking solar system destroying blasts

Goku couldn't control the power.
Goku can now control the power.

Just don't think about it man. That's what I have to do, and it makes things much simpler. It's not like this series is known for great power-scaling anyway lol.
Yeah, I guess there's no point in thinking about it. What I'm really disappointed in is the animation. There really need to put more effort/resources into making it better. Waiting a whole week for an episode sucks so bad.

Hard to say there isn't anything unique about him when he still hasn't gotten spot light.
They're clearly keeping him as a background element on purpose right now, once he gets focus I'm sure he'll start showing what's unique about him and start showing what kind of character he is.

I guess you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom