• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It hasn't happened yet therefore it will never happen".

I dunno, I feel like Alex_Mexico went out of their way to explain their stance and reasoning and yet they seem to be met with nothing but dismissal. Feels like bad form.

Personally I simply fail to understand the need to keep changing the title of an OT on a weekly basis based on a scene featured on the most recently aired episode in Japan. It just seems unnecessary and possibly confusing, even if not necessarily spoilery, to people like Alex_Mexico or other dub watchers who aren't up to date but happen to glance at the current thread title from time to time. Is it really that difficult to take a moment to consider how other people might feel?

Alex_mexico did not explain their stance at all, I asked them multiple times how this thread title is a spoiler and no answers

Do you want to tell me how this thread title is a spoiler??

I'm sorry Gohan is a Dragonball character who is currently in dragon Ball?? How is that a spoiler lol

LotusHD

Banned
"It hasn't happened yet therefore it will never happen".

I dunno, I feel like Alex_Mexico went out of their way to explain their stance and reasoning and yet they seem to be met with nothing but dismissal. Feels like bad form.

Personally I simply fail to understand the need to keep changing the title of an OT on a weekly basis based on a scene featured on the most recently aired episode in Japan. It just seems unnecessary and possibly confusing, even if not necessarily spoilery, to people like Alex_Mexico or other dub watchers who aren't up to date but happen to glance at the current thread title from time to time. Is it really that difficult to take a moment to consider how other people might feel?

He got "dismissed" because it wasn't even remotely a spoiler. All we can do now is continue to take that into account and make sure that trend continues, but again, neither this title or the other recent ones are anywhere close to actually spoiling a plot point, with the last one he got completely incorrect.

I don't really care if the title changes weekly, but as far as this particular title goes, it is not an issue. Again, I watched the episode, and I'm not even entirely sure what it's referencing.

Verelios

Are they really tho? These other universes did it to themselves by having such trash fighters represent them.
That seems harsh. I'm sure some Goku level fighters exist in other Universes just by happenstance...I mean, Cabba can't really be part of the .001% right? I blame the low time limit for having trash tier fighters.

Anth0ny

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| The Future Timeline Being Wiped Out by Future Zeno And Future Trunks and Mai Going To Another Future Timeline To Live Alongside Themselves From An Alternate Timeline Sure Is Weird, Gohan!

He got "dismissed" because it wasn't even remotely a spoiler. All we can do now is continue to take that into account and make sure that trend continues, but again, neither this title or the other recent ones are anywhere close to actually spoiling a plot point, with the last one he got completely incorrect.

I don't really care if the title changes weekly, but as far as this particular title goes, it is not an issue. Again, I watched the episode, and I'm not even entirely sure what it's referencing.
It's a reference to the Simpsons
235px-Simpsons6x13.jpg

trejo

I mean, imagine if the Game of Thrones thread did the same weekly title change thing

GoT S7 |OT| You Know Nothing Ed Sheeran

GoT S7 |OT| Arya Talkin' To Me?

GoT S7 |OT| HBO's The Fox And The Hound

GoT S7 |OT| Another Targaryen Bites The Dust

Wouldn't that get annoying after a while?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched GoT in a while so I have no idea if there are any actual spoilers there.

HardRojo

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| Goku will fight.

Seriously, a lot of "spoilers" don't really end up being spoilers unless properly explained and with enough context provided. But let's put that past ourselves.

HardRojo

I mean, imagine if the Game of Thrones thread did the same weekly title change thing

Disclaimer: I haven't watched GoT in a while so I have no idea if there are any actual spoilers there.
The only one I would have a problem with is the last one (bolded), the others are fine.

LotusHD

Banned

Why would it matter what they do? If anything, it'd be less annoying since they only have 7 episodes, as opposed to DBS which ain't stopping anytime soon.

I liked that one, it was subtle.

Lol nah, if the title we have now is apparently problematic, imagine how he'd react to that one

HeroR

Reading the Yamcha manga:

It's really is kind of a cop-out how it ended. In the second chapter 'Yamcha' did a lot of things that changed the Dragon Ball timeline since no one died to the Saiyans, meaning they had no reason to go to Namek, Frieza wouldn't find out about the Namekian Dragon Balls since Vegeta had no reason or time to mentioned them, Goku getting enraged enough to become a Super Saiyan have to happened differently, why did Vegeta become a good guy since he has no reason to team up with the Z-Fighters, Cell shouldn't get any of Frieza's genes which may make him less evil, and probably more changes that I don't remember.

Yet, the manga wants us to believe that despite the different turns in the Saiyan Saga and Yamcha messing around on Namek, everything proceeded the same as the manga canon. No, if you're going to make such changes, you need to show the wider consequences of them. This is the general problem I have with fanfics where they make big changes to Dragon Ball, yet for some reason story events still managed to play the same except with a few twists.

Overall, Yamcha could have died to the Saberiman in this story and nothing would have changed, which is just eye-rolling. I guess we can blamed Beerus and Champa who forcibly made events happen despite what the characters did and this may have been the case given what the other reincarnation said about him being not able to really change his own fate despite all his knowledge. But everything feels rush and what could have been an interesting story ended on a half-baked note.

But despite my criticisms of the last chapter, it was pretty good overall and I loved the art. I will also say that the manga writer comes off as a better writer than Toyo, since while the plot was underserved by the last chapter, it didn't go out of its way to say, 'I'm a Dragon Ball fan' like Toyo at times, which is ironic given that the person playing Yamcha is a hardcore Dragon Ball fan. The manga also used far less 'tributes' than Toyo, despite them making more sense here. And art, no contest blows Toyo out of the water. Except for Cell who looks weird.

I would like to see more from this manga writer, hopefully next time they can flush out the story more.

My take on the yamcha manga is it was probably initially gonna be much longer. The inconsistencies are probably because of that.
Also,
Yamcha leaving the space ship on Namek definitely felt like a lead up to something that never happened

trejo

Alex_mexico did not explain their stance at all, I asked them multiple times how this thread title is a spoiler and no answers

Do you want to tell me how this thread title is a spoiler??

I'm sorry Gohan is a Dragonball character who is currently in dragon Ball?? How is that a spoiler lol

I apologize if it seems like I'm harping on and on about this but I felt the need to respond to this one in particular, although you can take it as a general reply to all those saying "where da spoiler at doe?"

First, let's establish the facts. Fact is Alex_Mexico has stated that they watch the dub version and from their handle we can assume that they watch the Latin American dub. Fact is that said dub is currently behind the japanese airing by a not minuscule amount of episodes. From this we can assume that Alex_Mexico is not privy to current events going on in Super especially since they themselves have stated that they don't follow the thread but rather get exposed to its ever changing title at some rate.

Now let's try to go back to where we were at the time frame Alex_Mexico is watching. Despite some winks and nods here and there that have ultimately gone nowhere, for all we know Gohan has decided to go home and be a family man and is essentially a tertiary character that has been completely left behind by the narrative. Now look up at the thread title and tell me what it says. "Do it for her, Gohan" might mean nothing to people that have seen the weekly episode the current title makes reference to but, to someone like Alex_Mexico, for whom from their perspective and for all intents and purposes Gohan is a non-entity who does nothing noteworthy at this point, it signals that at some point in the nondescript future Gohan will be doing something and that said something is important enough to reference an episode of the Simpsons where Homer decides that what he is doing is necessary above all else for the sake of his newborn daughter, ergo, now burdened with the unsolicited knowledge that Gohan will at some point in the future return to the limelight strongly enough to the point he gets his own weekly title reference, when the moment comes for him it will no longer hold much of the impact or surprise it would or might have had otherwise, ergo, for them, it could be considered a spoiler.

Now, one might try to argue that Alex_Mexico is just one person and that it doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things but I would wager that there are others in the exact same situation and thus I plea that perhaps a bit more consideration towards others should be in order.

LotusHD

Banned
Trejo, that is honestly just ridiculous. Like I am trying so hard not to be too dismissive over all this, but you two are making it virtually impossible.

My take on the yamcha manga is it was probably initially gonna be much longer. The inconsistencies are probably because of that.
Also,
Yamcha leaving the space ship on Namek definitely felt like a lead up to something that never happened

There's no inconsistencies.
Freeza learns of the Dragon Balls by Vegeta and since Yamcha knows about this they obviously went there and everything more or less happens the same.

I apologize if it seems like I'm harping on and on about this but I felt the need to respond to this one in particular, although you can take it as a general reply to all those saying "where da spoiler at doe?"

First, let's establish the facts. Fact is Alex_Mexico has stated that they watch the dub version and from their handle we can assume that they watch the Latin American dub. Fact is that said dub is currently behind the japanese airing by a not minuscule amount of episodes. From this we can assume that Alex_Mexico is not privy to current events going on in Super especially since they themselves have stated that they don't follow the thread but rather get exposed to its ever changing title at some rate.

Now let's try to go back to where we were at the time frame Alex_Mexico is watching. Despite some winks and nods here and there that have ultimately gone nowhere, for all we know Gohan has decided to go home and be a family man and is essentially a tertiary character that has been completely left behind by the narrative. Now look up at the thread title and tell me what it says. "Do it for her, Gohan" might mean nothing to people that have seen the weekly episode the current title makes reference to but, to someone like Alex_Mexico, for whom from their perspective and for all intents and purposes Gohan is a non-entity who does nothing noteworthy at this point, it signals that at some point in the nondescript future Gohan will be doing something and that said something is important enough to reference an episode of the Simpsons where Homer decides that what he is doing is necessary above all else for the sake of his newborn daughter, ergo, now burdened with the unsolicited knowledge that Gohan will at some point in the future return to the limelight strongly enough to the point he gets his own weekly reference, when the moment comes for him it will no longer hold any of the impact or surprise it would or might have had otherwise, ergo, for them, it could be considered a spoiler.

Now, one might try to argue that Alex_Mexico is just one person and that it doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things but I would wager that there are others in the exact same situation and thus I plea that perhaps a bit more consideration towards others should be in order.

I appreciate that you took the time to write all of this, I really do

But I really don't think that just making mention of a character doing something (esp. an established character) is a spoiler, and even if it is, it is essentially impossible to glean what is going on in the show just from the thread title

Honestly I think the point is pretty clear.

It's just arguable whether or not it is a something worth being caught up about, and that is ultimately subjective.

HeroR

Freeza learns of the Dragon Balls by Vegeta and since Yamcha knows about this they obviously went there and everything more or less happens the same.

The only reason why Vegeta mentions the Namekians Dragon Balls in the manga is because they didn't want the remaining Z-Fighters to team up with Goku so they decided to kill Piccolo. Since Nappa already bit the dust, Vegeta has no reason to talk about the Namekian Dragon Balls, especially since he would be holding back all the Z-Fighters by himself.

And things can't happened even remotely the same since the Namekian's Dragon Balls are not even activated since Yamcha used a wished from them. Meaning, Frieza can't even gathered them. And why would Piccolo and Nail even merged since Nail would have no reason to play decoy and get beating to near death? Even more, why would any of the Z-Fighters go to Namek? Is Yamcha have to tell them they have to stop Vegeta? And how will they get there since Yamcha left the Namekian spaceship on Namek? If they all take Goku's ship and Goku isn't with them, how will Goku go to Namek? If Goku is with them, that changes a lot of events on Namek again since Goku would have been able to handle most of Frieza's men like Vegeta and they would be far less sneaking around and Frieza could have done things himself sooner.

Like I said, a big butterfly effect happened, yet the manga pretends nothing happened other than Yamcha didn't die.

HardRojo

Yep,
Frieza would've gotten his wish and Vegeta would've probably come back to Earth for his revenge, so they would've been screwed if they didn't go to Namek, as Goku wouldn't have trained and Piccolo wouldn't have gotten his Nail power-up.

HeroR

Yep,
Frieza would've gotten his wish and Vegeta would've probably come back to Earth for his revenge, so they would've been screwed if they didn't go to Namek, as Goku wouldn't have trained and Piccolo wouldn't have gotten his Nail power-up.

Frieza wouldn't have gotten his wish since even if he did learned about the Dragon Balls, Yamcha used them to get back to Earth on time, so they wouldn't even be activated and there's no way any Namekian would tell Frieza the password even if they were activated.

Frieza was screwed. Most likely, he would destroy Namek once he learned he can't get his wish. Vegeta tries to return to Earth after he learns the Namekians Dragon Balls got destroyed and wants to try once more for the Earth's Dragon Balls since Piccolo didn't die and would most likely get himself killed.

Let's say Alex has a point. The question becomes did he handle this correctly? He could have messaged a mod to voice his opinion. Instead he derailed this already very easy to derail thread then abandoned the thread.

That to me seems like shitposting. Instead of handling the situation though proper channels he intentionally instigated a bunch of people who can't even do anything even if they wanted to since only mods can change titles.

Yamcha Manga:
My thoughts are similar to HeroR, I too thought it was somewhat of a copout for the reasons he stated. Still fun though, and I blame this on how short it seemingly had to be. I would have loved to see more details on how they justify them getting to that same point at least, but again, brevity was the enemy here.

The inconsistency was how they got there, since what happened made the initial way impossible.
The change is deliberate enough to be setting up plot, as they there was no need to have Yamcha forget you know what in the first place

HardRojo

Frieza wouldn't have gotten his wish since even if he did learned about the Dragon Balls, Yamcha used them to get back to Earth on time, so they wouldn't even be activated and there's no way any Namekian would tell Frieza the password even if they were activated.

Frieza was screwed. Most likely, he would destroy Namek once he learned he can't get his wish. Vegeta tries to return to Earth after he learns the Namekians Dragon Balls got destroyed and wants to try once more for the Earth's Dragon Balls since Piccolo didn't die and would most likely get himself killed.

Problem is we reach interesting points that could've gone in very different ways.
Frieza could have tortured people to get the password, Vegeta would've ultimately accepted his fate and stay a Frieza goon, and yeah I agree it's kind of a copout to make everything play out just the same as the established canon, but it's not far-fetched to believe things would've played out the same. It would've been interesting to see some differences and it sucks that it ended so soon :/ There was a lot of room for creativity there, but I did like what I read.

The inconsistency was how they got there, since what happened made the initial way impossible.
The change is deliberate enough to be setting up plot, as they there was no need to have Yamcha forget you know what in the first place

I'm sure Bulma and her dad can build a new one with what they have learned by repairing Kami's ship.

HeroR

Problem is we reach interesting points that could've gone in very different ways.
Frieza could have tortured people to get the password, Vegeta would've ultimately accepted his fate and stay a Frieza goon, and yeah I agree it's kind of a copout to make everything play out just the same as the established canon, but it's not far-fetched to believe things would've played out the same. It would've been interesting to see some differences and it sucks that it ended so soon :/ There was a lot of room for creativity there, but I did like what I read.

We have seen that the Namekians refused to break even under torture/death. Even when they did give Frieza the Dragon Balls, they mocked the fact he would never get his wish. Frieza was boned no matter what he did.

Vegeta would have never accepted his fate and would have looked for another opportunity or as I said, would try again for the Earth's Dragon Balls since Piccolo didn't die. This time, he would be far more wiser with dealing with the Z-Figthers. Although, I don't see him succeeding or becoming their ally since there's no reason for him to be.

I really just can't see things playing the same because of how connect the Saiyan and Namek Sagas were. Literally the only reason why anyone went to Namek was because Piccolo died. Since he didn't in the Yamcha manga, no one has any motive to go anywhere. I mean, what would they care about a group of aliens they never met? The best they could do is probably guilt trip the Z-Fighters into going to Namek to keep Vegeta from becoming an immortal and that brings up all the other changes I mentioned.

Like I said, this manga was underserved by it being just three chapters. Even if things played out the same because Champa and Beerus is forcing it, it would be interesting for 'Yamcha' to note that nothing he does seems to really change anything despite his best efforts. Someone on Youtube, amazedly, even pointed out that it would have been more dramatic if Yamcha and Piccolo died to Vegeta while they were waiting for Goku, making the 'you can't fight fate' message near the end of the manga make more sense. I mean, 'Yamcha' still dies, but he goes down like a boss to Vegeta and 'preserve' the original timeline since things play out the same regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom