• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

Loto

YVOMu.jpg
Information:
Title: Dragon Quest 6: Realms of Revelation
Developer: Arte Piazza
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo DS
Genre: RPG
Release: February 14, 2011 (NA)
Price: $34.99

15 years after its intial release, its finally here!. Dragon Quest VI was first released in December 1995 for the Super Famicom.
It is the third and final entry in the Zenithia trilogy, which includes 4, 5, and 6. However, you don't need to have played any of the previous
entries to enjoy this game. Players who have will recognize some themes or places. This DS version marks the game's first
release outside of Japan.

Here are a few things new in the remake (courtesy of our friend Segata's DQVI import thread):

Segata Sanshiro said:
- Beastmaster can no longer recruit monsters. Instead, they have a new monster-oriented skillset and you can recruit various slime enemies through events now.
- They added a new touchscreen minigame, Slime Curling (HOOOOOOOLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIT!! - Smilin' Segs).
- It has the "chance encounter" system that's been in all of the other DS DQ games, which allows you to share your dreams with other players.

Dragon Quest VI brings back the job systems found in parts 3, 7, and 9. It is my understanding that the job system is very close to the one found in 7.
Some of the vocations available are (courtesy of the website):

Warrior
With strenght and well-rounded skills, anyone who takes up the
path of the warrior will be indispensiable in battle.

Martial Artist
A rare combination of great strenght and speed allow
martial artist to strike hard and fast.

Mage
Take up this vocation to learn offensive magic, Elemental spells
such as Frizzle can make foes crash and burn.

Preist
Immensely helpful to any adventuring party, the way of
the Priest brings with it healing and status-boosting magic.

Dancer
The Skills of a dancer translate surprisingly well in battle.
High agility and status affecting dance moves are part of any
good dancer's repertoire

Thief
The speedy and nimble Theif has a variety of ways to
make the party's life "richer." Take up this vocation and find out how.

Characters:

Hero, Milly, and Carver
obVhx.png
Ohyq8.png
k4YQU.png

Nevan, Ashlynn, and Terry
iEXk2.png
MEbZw.png
96T6k.png

Media:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVW7gLhfjso

Web Site: http://dragonquest6.nintendo.com/#/home/

Pictures:

ogLJ1.jpg
MDqT8.jpg

8OBaC.jpg
QwiSK.jpg

Reviews:

Game Informer

Gametrailers:

1UP:
B

I will update the OP with reviews as they come in. Also, this is my first OT and if anyone has any suggestions please PM me. I apologize if its kind of bare bones, lets consider this a work in progress. =)

Looks great. I'll have to hold off to get this as I won't have a DS until I get a 3DS. What's sad is that I'll probably be more into this than any 3DS launch title tho.

Loto

I'm hyped, can't believe its actually coming out. Same here, I have been on a black out since 1996! =)

very cool, i'm glad we can finally play it. with this, i'll be done with every DQ entry i was interested in.

will join in about 6 months.

LaneDS

Oh nice, $5 reduction in the S-E tax! Would have picked it up regardless though, as I really enjoyed playing through both IV and V for the first time (skipped IV back in the NES days but had always heard great things).

Still need to find time to play through IX though! DQ backlog'd.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ack! This is out next week?? I thought it was alil later in the month! Just when I was making progress with my backlog... gah! $35 is steep considering its a remake and that the DS is on its way out but its still $5 cheaper than Square-taxed ones. Will be picking it up regardless!

rpmurphy

I love the Symphonic Suite album for this game. The story is pretty great as well so I'm really glad it's finally here in the US!

brandonh83 said:
Looks great. I'll have to hold off to get this as I won't have a DS until I get a 3DS. What's sad is that I'll probably be more into this than any 3DS launch title tho.

in the same boat, although it's a pretty awesome boat to be in.

An-Det

I've had it preordered for a while now, definitely looking forward to it. Now all I need is to find Dragon Quest 5 at a reasonable price to finish the DS trilogy.

Johnas

Nice thread, Loto.

I preordered this today, can't wait. I need a traditional DQ game again after sinking so much time into IX's postgame. Plus, sprites!

ghibli99

Thanks for the OT on this!

I have it preordered at Amazon, but I'm strongly considering buying it at retail on Monday and selling my Amazon copy. This is probably the only game this year that I really want day one.

I don't think the thread needs a catchy title, either... keep it simple and classy.

Loto

mr stroke said:
is it true this one is shorter(under 25 hours) than other DQ's?

I think this one is on the longer side. Maybe not as long as 7, but im pretty sure its longer than 4 and 5.

Thank you all for the support. =)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"Dragon Quest VI Realms of Revelation |OT| The closest you'll get to a new Chrono Trigger"

Or that's what people tell me.

Regulus Tera said:
"Dragon Quest VI Realms of Revelation |OT| The closest you'll get to a new Chrono Trigger"

Or that's what people tell me.

If there's any truth to this, I know what my GOTY is already.

Oxx

Do want.

I just have to find the time between Ghost Trick, DQ9, Inazuma 11, and the upcoming Radiant Historia.

Which is ridiculous considering how much I like the DQ series...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw crap, I haven't preordered yet.

"Dragon Quest VI Realms of Revelation |OT| Dream walking and beds flying"

I'm definitely buying this game Day 1, it was hard enough to find a copy of DQ5 DS a year after its release, I'm not making that mistake again.

jiggle

"dragon quest vi realms of revelation |OT|last chance to dream"!

gonna divvy up my time between this and ogre
can't wait

john tv said:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Tried to spread the love a little bit.

Thank you for translating it!

Also, excellent OP. I've got my copy ordered on Amazon. Next week can't get here soon enough!

Great job on the title, a little something for everyone.. lol

I already got my slime.....they were using them as a display at my ebgames in canada, and the manager gave me one when I asked coyly if I was getting a slime. Sucks for everyone else that they're not a preorder bonus in Canada, especially if they're giving them to the stores. Go forth, my Canadian brothers, and grovel for a display slime ;)

john tv

Good, good. I might change the first half to just "Dragon Quest 6 DS" to match the former OTs. People still seem to have trouble with roman numerals these days...

I'll leave it for now tho. Lots of work to do!

Loto

john tv said:
Good, good. I might change the first half to just "Dragon Quest 6 DS" to match the former OTs. People still seem to have trouble with roman numerals these days...

I'll leave it for now tho. Lots of work to do!

I think changing it to a 6 is a good idea. Was back and forth on it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Tiktaalik

Man oh man so hyped for this. I've been wanting this game ever since Nintendo Power did a big feature on it back in 95.

I don't get the tax-free. You mean cause we should buy it from amazon for no sales-tax? Or tariffs?

also, what is this chance encounter? Is it the same as Tag Mode?

I actually cancelled my pre-order because I've yet to play 4 or 5 + random encounters after having played DQ9 seems ughh.

cw_sasuke said:
Still nothing new about a PAL release ?
Import it, it'll be one of the last Nintendo handheldgames without a regionlock!

I've got mine pre-ordered and can't wait for its release. I loved IV and V and VI is going to be amaaaazing!

Top Bottom