• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Unless SE reposts all the tablets I really hope someone in the homebrew community is archiving all the DLC because there is no way I'm going to be able to play most of it at this point both due to being behind on the game and the ridiculous levels required for most.

Unless SE reposts all the tablets I really hope someone in the homebrew community is archiving all the DLC because there is no way I'm going to be able to play most of it at this point both due to being behind on the game and the ridiculous levels required for most.

All the DLC Tablets already exist in game, you just download unlock codes, so unlocking them with cheats should be trivial.

Can the orchestral homebrew rip be done if you have the cart or only the digital version?

All the DLC Tablets already exist in game, you just download unlock codes, so unlocking them with cheats should be trivial.

So odd, makes one wonder what the point of doing it as DLC is to begin with then. Anyways, good to know, thanks.

Arkeband

Banned
It really feels like monster heart drops are only increased in tablet dungeons for beginner monster classes. I was hoping to circumvent some of the grind by making tablets with Dingbats and Rashaveraks but they never drop anything. Made a tablet with Serial Quillers and Mandrake Majors and they're dropping like 25% of the time.

I was also hoping that recruiting more than one monster into those barns would increase heart drop chances but it looks like that feature is useless.

Oh well, gives me something to do while my wife watches TV.

It really feels like monster heart drops are only increased in tablet dungeons for beginner monster classes. I was hoping to circumvent some of the grind by making tablets with Dingbats and Rashaveraks but they never drop anything. Made a tablet with Serial Quillers and Mandrake Majors and they're dropping like 25% of the time.

I was also hoping that recruiting more than one monster into those barns would increase heart drop chances but it looks like that feature is useless.

Oh well, gives me something to do while my wife watches TV.

The best nothing way to get Heart drops is to make them tablet bosses. The chance does increase for low heart drop rate monsters but the increase is proportional to the base chance so you have to really level the monster up. And there is a benefit for multiple monsters, it lets you set the 3 slots to the same Monster.

Fauve

I'm running through towns trying to get recruits for Haven but I'm having a little trouble. I'm following this post on GameFAQ and I can't seem to find 8-12 after going to the towns and looking at where they're supposed to be. I just finished Aeolus Vale and should be able to find them.

What does BIS stand for?

An MMO term meaning Best in Slot, meaning that piece of gear is superior to all other choices. An ultimate weapon for example.

I'm running through towns trying to get recruits for Haven but I'm having a little trouble. I'm following this post on GameFAQ and I can't seem to find 8-12 after going to the towns and looking at where they're supposed to be. I just finished Aeolus Vale and should be able to find them.

Who was the latest non-DLC recruit that you have in the Haven, and what is the hint they're dropping for the next recruit after them?

Fauve

Who was the latest non-DLC recruit that you have in the Haven, and what is the hint they're dropping for the next recruit after them?

The last person on my list was Zeppelina who told me of someone in a pot. I looked at the list and saw that the monster there was in Al-balad. I didn't realize you had to talk to the monsters in the haven to trigger recruitments for other residents. I think I'm good to go now, thanks a lot!

Edit: Just got all caught up, thanks again.

So I'm trying to finish the Buccanham scenario. Just cleared out the boss in the lighthouse and I'm supposed to get the light from Emberdale but the Gaffer just keeps telling me he's too old to be gaffering? I hope I didn't miss something important...

LeonSPBR

Got this last week. It's really fun, and the updated graphics looks nice. Still at 30h and just finished the Sunked Temple. Now I'm farming XP for classes.

MoonFrog

Got this last week. It's really fun, and the updated graphics looks nice. Still at 30h and just finished the Sunked Temple. Now I'm farming XP for classes.

Classes don't level based on experience points, they level based on battles fought as long as the battle isn't too low. If you are going to do serious farming, limit the amount of experience points you are taking in, rather than maximize it.

That said, if you just go through the game, I don't think the level caps for areas ever really presses against you and you keep leveling classes. In EG, there is a wealth of cap 99 areas.

THIS GAME NEVER FUCKING ENDS.

I am okay with that.

I'm like 57 hours in and not even close to being bored with it.

:)

Also, page 99. I hope this gets to 100 for sentimental reasons. So close.

tauroxd

I was thinking of maybe making a thread for this, but I might as well use this OT:

So a little story, back when DQ VIII was released outside of Japan I was amazed by it and was dying to play it because OMG dat freedom and huge overworld and THOSE GRAPHIXZ! But the thing was that I never had a PS2, not more than a couple of days borrowed it from a friend, so I never really get to play DQ VIII...

When SE announced DQ VII 3DS I was so damn happy because this probably meant that we will eventually get DQ VIII so I will finally get to play it, but reading all those things about VII and how it was remade from the ground up, instead of a port (like VIII ended up being) and the huge script and work put into this version made me long for this one also, but I have not bought it (other games to play and Pokémon took priority and ended up buying Sun on day 1) and with VIII so close and I will probably get to buy VII on Chritsmas day, and seeing how damn long VII is (not actually a problem per se) and how I have been longing to play VIII for so damn long and how problably I won't have finished VII by the time of VIII release, what should I do? Wait for VIII and buy that one first or really play VII first and be patience until I finished it (because I am not rushing it, it is not my style) and then go into VIII? Will I feel that VII is worse if I play it after VIII? HELP. GAF

TL;DR: Which one should I play first VII or VIII? Any reason(s) for why should I play VII or VIII first?

Thanks, dude and dudettes... I would really like Aeana insight on this matter :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was thinking of maybe making a thread for this, but I might as well use this OT:

So a little story, back when DQ VIII was released outside of Japan I was amazed by it and was dying to play it because OMG dat freedom and huge overworld and THOSE GRAPHIXZ! But the thing was that I never had a PS2, not more than a couple of days borrowed it from a friend, so I never really get to play DQ VIII...

When SE announced DQ VII 3DS I was so damn happy because this probably meant that we will eventually get DQ VIII so I will finally get to play it, but reading all those things about VII and how it was remade from the ground up, instead of a port (like VIII ended up being) and the huge script and work put into this version made me long for this one also, but I have not bought it (other games to play and Pokémon took priority and ended up buying Sun on day 1) and with VIII so close and I will probably get to buy VII on Chritsmas day, and seeing how damn long VII is (not actually a problem per se) and how I have been longing to play VIII for so damn long and how problably I won't have finished VII by the time of VIII release, what should I do? Wait for VIII and buy that one first or really play VII first and be patience until I finished it (because I am not rushing it, it is not my style) and then go into VIII? Will I feel that VII is worse if I play it after VIII? HELP. GAF

TL;DR: Which one should I play first VII or VIII? Any reason(s) for why should I play VII or VIII first?

Thanks, dude and dudettes... I would really like Aeana insight on this matter :)

VII, because it's out now.

As far as the question about whether VII will feel worse after you play VIII... no, I don't think so. They're actually very different games in terms of pacing, dungeon layout, etc. DQVII feels like a PS1 RPG. It's very direct. Dungeons are concise, locales feel spacious, but not huge, and the combat system feels quick. You'll visit a hell of a lot more locations than you will in VIII, but they tend to take way less time. Dragon Quest VIII, by contrast, is (obviously) a PS2 RPG. It's bigger, the areas are way more expansive, but it doesn't feel as focused, and everything feels like it takes longer to accomplish. Both are excellent games, but their approach to RPGing is different enough that it really doesn't matter what order you play them in.

tauroxd

VII, because it's out now.

As far as the question about whether VII will feel worse after you play VIII... no, I don't think so. They're actually very different games in terms of pacing, dungeon layout, etc. DQVII feels like a PS1 RPG. It's very direct. Dungeons are concise, locales feel spacious, but not huge, and the combat system feels quick. You'll visit a hell of a lot more locations than you will in VIII, but they tend to take way less time. Dragon Quest VIII, by contrast, is (obviously) a PS2 RPG. It's bigger, the areas are way more expansive, but it doesn't feel as focused, and everything feels like it takes longer to accomplish. Both are excellent games, but their approach to RPGing is different enough that it really doesn't matter what order you play them in.

Thanks for the answer!

Funny you should mention the Laguar, since I finished that tablet just last night.

The mobs that spawn in the tablet are easy-peasy, but, as you said, the Laguar was a nasty surprise. Especially due to its ridiculous agility, HP count, and resilience. Thankfully, it's weak to Tongue Bashing, which made all the difference.

EDIT: Level 35 is nowhere near enough for this week's Infernal Kernals tablet, though. Stupid things average about 500 HP and the Infernal Kernal itself is going to Kathwack you at the start of the fight.

Wanted to say thanks. I won by having Hero and Maribel spam Tongue Bashing while Ruff Scorched it to death. Boring but effective.

Wanted to say thanks. I won by having Hero and Maribel spam Tongue Bashing while Ruff Scorched it to death. Boring but effective.

Aye, glad to hear you got him.

On a side note, don't think Scorch benefits from the zero-defense effect of Tongue Bashing, unlike "physical" hitting skills like Knuckle Sandwich or any of the * Slash skills.

"Boring but effective" pretty much describes my feelings about all status effects in this game. When they work, you can effectively cheese any fight just using them over and over again. They're functionally the same, but it's about finding the one that works.

Aye, glad to hear you got him.

On a side note, don't think Scorch benefits from the zero-defense effect of Tongue Bashing, unlike "physical" hitting skills like Knuckle Sandwich or any of the * Slash skills.

"Boring but effective" pretty much describes my feelings about all status effects in this game. When they work, you can effectively cheese any fight just using them over and over again. They're functionally the same, but it's about finding the one that works.

Scorch doesn't but it's powerful and Ruff didnt have any of the handful of skills that would hit harder (like Knuckle Sandwich) since he's my monster masher / monster class user.

LeonSPBR

Classes don't level based on experience points, they level based on battles fought as long as the battle isn't too low. If you are going to do serious farming, limit the amount of experience points you are taking in, rather than maximize it.

That said, if you just go through the game, I don't think the level caps for areas ever really presses against you and you keep leveling classes. In EG, there is a wealth of cap 99 areas.

Oh I know that, I was just saying that I was battling for the class level up rather than leveling my chars. Also this game seems to hate having 4 chars at the same time...
Maribel just left... GODDAMITT LOST MY MAGE

One question, when I can attempt the tables SE puts up?? I'm level between level 28 and 24 with my chars.

Oh I know that, I was just saying that I was battling for the class level up rather than leveling my chars. Also this game seems to hate having 4 chars at the same time...
Maribel just left... GODDAMITT LOST MY MAGE

One question, when I can attempt the tables SE puts up?? I'm level between level 28 and 24 with my chars.

It depends on the tablet. There's huge variation between them (and sometimes between the tablet mooks and boss). Its also usually got more to do with your skills / classes / no of party members / equipment than members.

Arkeband

Banned
The most recent tablet rewards are kind of crappy compared to the last three.

Massacre Sword (cursed sword for Keifer/Aishe)
Soldier's Medal (occasional 2x attack, haven't tested this out)
Lucky Pendant (Occasional avoid attack)

I also decided to grind jobs to get to Ersatz Estark, which I finally did, except now I'm disappointed because it doesn't look like Estark from DQ4, which I should have realized if I had looked up 'Ersatz' which means 'made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else.'. >_>

It's still the only monster class that is a palette swap of another monster class, so that's lame.

It's still the only monster class that is a palette swap of another monster class, so that's lame.

Total bummer; DQ4 Estark was what I had in mind, too, as I'm slowly making my way up to it.

Thought my "final" party composition would have one as a counterpoint to a Hero. Guess it's going to be PlatKing, now.

FireVoa

So I think I'll be getting this game on Monday and was doing some research about it.

Specifically
permanent removal of Kiefer

Is it worth splitting the xp for characters given the nature of spoiler or level normally?
Also, is grinding not advisable? And how does the class ranking system work?

Arkeband

Banned
So I think I'll be getting this game on Monday and was doing some research about it.

Specifically

Is it worth splitting the xp for characters given the nature of spoiler or level normally?

Just play normally, the game gets pretty difficult leading up to the point where you unlock classes.

After that, you start with basic classes, you keep all of those abilities, you rank up in them. Once you master combinations of them it unlocks hybrid classes, which allow you to use moves you learn from them only while you're that class. These abilities can be super OP. And then if you master certain combos of hybrid classes, there are a few master classes that give you a shitload of abilities (again, only while you're that class) and they'll pretty much singlehandedly guarantee you coast through the late game and post game.

There are also monster jobs that you can turn into from hearts dropped from enemies and found in chests. All abilities learned through these are learned permanently, so this is how you permanently keep most abilities temporarily learned through human hybrid/master jobs. These have their own network of masteries where like, if you master Slime and a Mandrake Major, you unlock Drake Slime, etc. They also take a lot longer to master than human jobs, so doing a run of only using these classes could be seen as a kind of challenge run.

Specifically

Not sure what you mean by splitting xp amongst party members. Most of the game you have a fixed party. It isn't until the end (the final dungeon, basically) that you have leeway to choose.

Regarding grinding. I don't think it's ever really necessary. If you don't run from every battle, you should be okay.

Class levels are independent from characters. Characters advance their levels through xp like every other rpg. Whereas jobs advance through fighting numbers of battles. Most regions in the game have a cap on character level, meaning your character doesn't get credit for that battle if they're above a certain character level.

My only suggestion. Don't make maribel a healer.

FireVoa

Not sure what you mean by splitting xp amongst party members. Most of the game you have a fixed party. It isn't until the end (the final dungeon, basically) that you have leeway to choose.

I was thinking of killing off
Kiefer
in game and not reviving letting the xp they would have gained go to the rest of the party.

1upsuper

How far do I need to get to be able to download the DLC? I'm super busy these days and haven't been able to dive into this remake yet. But I don't want to miss out on anything. Is it just a single download to get everything?

I was thinking of killing off
Kiefer
in game and not reviving letting the xp they would have gained go to the rest of the party.

No need to go that far, as EXP isn't split, and each party member gets the same amount of EXP each monster you defeat is worth in the bestiary.

Arkeband

Banned
How far do I need to get to be able to download the DLC? I'm super busy these days and haven't been able to dive into this remake yet. But I don't want to miss out on anything. Is it just a single download to get everything?

It's a revolving weekly 3 tablets, I assume it'll just keep repeating year over year until the servers go down.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just finished the game yesterday. Loved it. I think this thing was totally worth the wait. Starting to feel the withdrawal creeping in, but luckily, I've got SMT4A waiting for me.

Mozendo

I completely forgot that DQ7 had the same onlined timed garbage that was found in DQ IX and that I missed out on several tablets because my 3DS had issues on launch week.

I just lost all motivation to keep playing, I hope DQ 11 doesn't do the same thing. Oh well at least I feel glad that I supported DQ in the west.

I like the game but I'm like 35 hours in and
haven't gotten a fourth party member or Keifer back
and it's really bothering me.

I just finished Providence.

dukeoflegs

I took a break from the game for a while (two months I think) and I'm jumping back in. Thank god there's the info screen on what has happened so far, I really wish more RPG's and games in general had that. I have some vacation time coming up next week so hopefully I can bust through the rest of the game.

Biske

I took a break from the game for a while (two months I think) and I'm jumping back in. Thank god there's the info screen on what has happened so far, I really wish more RPG's and games in general had that. I have some vacation time coming up next week so hopefully I can bust through the rest of the game.

This is a feature that I'm strangely really looking forward to utilizing when I come back to this game some day hahaha.

Arkeband

Banned
New tablet rewards are as follows:

Wizardly Whip
Champion's Belt (HP/MP restore each step)
Rainbow Drop (casts holy aura or whatever the localization calls it)

Better than last week's I guess, all unique stuff.

Welp, Piles of Presents isn't level 25 unless I missed a killer skill for the random encounters (high elemental resists, powerful physical attacks, (ka)Thwack spells and immunity to the shut down statuses (but not silence). On the bright side got through Feral Forest (level 30?) and the only challenge there is that utter nutters are super fast and sometimes use a stone throw variant that hits about as hard as Inferno and can travel in packs. I think I'm just going to have to grind out some classes and levels to clean my tablet list out and stop desperately trying to clear 3 out before I lose any each week.

(Also here's an anti-frustration tip for Taming monsters: monsters who self-destruct don't check recruitment at all. So Animal Magnetism them as much as possible and kill them before they self destruct. Stupid Robo-robins).

So, I'm at more than 60 hours into it. I thought I was nearing the end
when I awoke he almighty

But no, lol. And it goes on. and on. and on.

Top Bottom