• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

I am insanely jealous of anyone who gets to an extra weekend to play this. My local gamestops have workers indignant at the mere question if they have it in stock.

Tiktaalik

Just picked this up at the 8th ave Gamestop in Vancouver. They had their copies prominently displayed on the shelf behind the till.

Go go go!

Hobbun

Is everyone that is getting the game earlier only in Canada?

I called my local GS today and they said it wasn't shipping until the 14th.

Teknoman

I wonder if its marked as street dated? We had DQIX in the back for a few days...couldnt grab one since it was marked as such.

EDIT: Probably best to ask here - What are the best versions of Dragon Quest I-III? SNES or GBC?

Oh nooooooo, just wasted an hour of my night when I discovered the Slime Curling!!!

Ok, not wasted, because it's awesome. ;)

I named my main character Bastian, after the boy in the Neverending Story. So far, 2 hours in, the game feels identical to Dragon Quest V to me, which is not a bad thing. I'm sure it will develop its own identity soon enough
the second world map looks promising though

Chesskid1

Banned
sorry for the offtopicness, got bored and decided to look up some video games on ebay.

i decided to look up dragon quest V for the super famicon.

2rgzxpi.jpg

found out a complete boxed set sells for $10. something like that in the pic. i don't even own an SNES or know a lick of japanese but damn that would look nice displayed on a shelf or hell just to even have, i mean it's just $10. seems most SFC games are around that price.

Loto

Teknoman said:
I wonder if its marked as street dated? We had DQIX in the back for a few days...couldnt grab one since it was marked as such.

EDIT: Probably best to ask here - What are the best versions of Dragon Quest I-III? SNES or GBC?
I'm partial to the original NES versions for 1 & 2. The remakes are good but they feel easier. The GBC version is fine.

For DQ3 I prefer the remake. I like the super famicom version but again the GBC version is fine. The music does take a hit though.

Chairhome

I'm somewhat anti-gamestop, but they have an extra 50% trade in starting today if you are a Power up member (the paid kind), or starting tomorrow if you're not. I'm going to trade some stuff in and put down a pre-order (and hope they say, "Oh, we have it already, here you go!")...

Yaweee

Chesskid1 said:
found out a complete boxed set sells for $10. something like that in the pic. i don't even own an SNES or know a lick of japanese but damn that would look nice displayed on a shelf or hell just to even have, i mean it's just $10. seems most SFC games are around that price.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how cheap a bunch of "classics" are in Japan. At a few stores I went to during a business trip, the used game sections seemed to have all of the DQ games and ports for 1000~1500 yen, or something like that. Not even at big game stores, I'm talking general entertainment stores with tiny sections for used games.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yaweee said:
Yeah, I'm surprised at how cheap a bunch of "classics" are in Japan. At a few stores I went to during a business trip, the used game sections seemed to have all of the DQ games and ports for 1000~1500 yen, or something like that. Not even at big game stores, I'm talking general entertainment stores with tiny sections for used games.
These things had prints runs in the millions in Japan. While RPGs of the era have obtained a notoriety for rarity in the US (even though many of them are not rare as far as print runs are concerned) they are very common in Japan.

It's akin to finding a copy of Super Mario World over here.

B.K.

Yaweee said:

There were millions of copies sold, so it's not like they're rare.

Yaweee

B.K. said:
There were millions of copies sold, so it's not like they're rare.

I know, but I was still surprised to find them cluttering used game like Madden200X titles, at stores equivalent to Borders.

turnbuckle

Cow Mengde said:
While I'm not an avid hater of the DS's polygon capabilities (love Wizard of Oz), I really think the DQ games look horrible compared to DQ3 and DQ6 on the SNES. The sprites based graphics were just amazing to look at.

Agree completely. I just played through both again a few months ago and they still look good today. The DS games look little different than the hideous DQVII :( Love em all, but it's too bad they used this style.

Had 6 pre-ordered since the day it was announced. Can't wait to play it again. Gonna be refreshing after wasting so much time grotto grinding in IX.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yuji Horii is signing (early) copies of Dragon Quest VI at the GameStop in Palo Alto, CA from 1:00 to 3:00 PM on 2/12.

How raging jealous am I right now?

Hobbun

Princess Skittles said:
Yuji Horii is signing (early) copies of Dragon Quest VI at the GameStop in Palo Alto, CA from 1:00 to 3:00 PM on 2/12.

Ugh, too far.

He should be signing in Chicago!

Loto

Princess Skittles said:

That's only 6 hours away from me... Tempting.

creid

Princess Skittles said:

For only the first 50 people. I don't understand why it's so limited. Lord knows when he'll ever be back here, and he can only sign things for half an hour or so?

NomarTyme

Loto said:
That's only 6 hours away from me... Tempting.
Not tempting, but why there? :(

creid said:
For only the first 50 people. I don't understand why it's so limited. Lord knows when he'll ever be back here, and he can only sign things for half an hour or so?
Limp wrist?

turnbuckle said:
Agree completely. I just played through both again a few months ago and they still look good today. The DS games look little different than the hideous DQVII :( Love em all, but it's too bad they used this style.
While I agree with your main point, V and VI both still look MILES better than Dragon Quest VII, even if still fugly.

Loto said:
Do they have it on the shelves or do you have to ask?

I had to ask. I only got it because my friend is a regular at that store, they gave him his pre-ordered copy early which he then texted me about.

ghibli99

^^^ Haha! Wow... if only. :)

Mr. Wonderful said:
While I agree with your main point, V and VI both still look MILES better than Dragon Quest VII, even if still fugly.
I think the 2D/3D DS games look fine. People would complain if it were the SNES titles shrunken down on the DS, and they'd surely bitch about the music. I'm happy that we got them in the first place, and the tweaks to the DQ7-style engine are good, too.

Yuripaw

Banned
I was thinking about picking this game up this month. At the very least, I already have it preordered at gamestop, because you get a free plush Slime for preordering there which I'm stoked about, but other than that I really know very little about this entry in the series.

Is there any insight anyone could give me as to the quality of this game? I already expect it'll have the same quality in terms of presentation and graphics compared to the other DS remakes of Dragon Quest 4 and 5, but was this game fondly remembered by anyone when it originally came out on the Super Famicom in Japan?

As always, I love the art style for the DQ series, and seeing the box art and ads for it make me want it for that reason alone, but is are the story and characters any good?

Chesskid1 said:
sorry for the offtopicness, got bored and decided to look up some video games on ebay.

i decided to look up dragon quest V for the super famicon.

2rgzxpi.jpg

I've always wondered about this. Were Super Famicom games like really mass produced, because I noticed you can find almost any big JRPG on SF in complete condition for a fairly reasonable price. Anyone know the reason behind this?

Lard

Banned
DMPrince said:
will definitely buy this when i have the money. hopefully it gets on sale on amazon in a few weeks.

Squeenix games don't really tend to go on sale.

I just grabbed this now so I don't have the same issue finding it I did with DQ5

Princess Skittles said:

Going to see if I can be one of those 50 as Palo Alto's about an hour and half from my place... then it's back to work at my GS for a closing shift.

Yaweee

Lard said:

I just grabbed this now so I don't have the same issue finding it I did with DQ5

I don't know, the most did price drop down to $20 eventually, right? Even the taxed games? DQ5 might be one of the few exceptions.

EDIT: Oh, this is published by Nintendo, so it will take longer to drop in price but likely never be hard to find.

No luck getting an early copy at EB Games or elsewhere. The employee at HMV has happy to say that he's suuuuuuper excited for Dragon Quest VI, after having spent 50 hours on IX, and the employee at EB said the game was streetdated for the 15th, which doesn't make sense given what others are saying, but I already wasn't going to get it from there because of the extra $5 they're charging. Guess I'll just have to wait until Monday.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yuripaw said:
I've always wondered about this. Were Super Famicom games like really mass produced, because I noticed you can find almost any big JRPG on SF in complete condition for a fairly reasonable price. Anyone know the reason behind this?
Twas explained above.. Dragon Quest does Madden numbers in Japan. There are millions of these. They're monetarily worthless on the second-hand market.

As far as condition goes, that's just a Japanese thing, they take care of their stuff better in general, I beleive. Almost every used game I've gotten from Japan has been in meticulous condition (a few Famicom carts I got were cart-only). It also helps that they didn't have FuncoLand (pre-GameStop) throwing away millions of boxes and manuals on second-hand games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lard said:

This is being published by Nintendo this time around though isn't it? Which means it has an even worse chance of having the price dropped?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Auron_Kale said:
Going to see if I can be one of those 50 as Palo Alto's about an hour and half from my place... then it's back to work at my GS for a closing shift.
Godspeed. Take pictures (of what you can) and tell Horii that I love him.

Teknoman

Princess Skittles said:
Twas explained above.. Dragon Quest does Madden numbers in Japan. There are millions of these. They're monetarily worthless on the second-hand market.

As far as condition goes, that's just a Japanese thing, they take care of their stuff better in general, I beleive. Almost every used game I've gotten from Japan has been in meticulous condition (a few Famicom carts I got were cart-only). It also helps that they didn't have FuncoLand (pre-GameStop) throwing away millions of boxes and manuals on second-hand games.

Whats funny is there was a time when Funco actually gave bonus money if you had the box and book.

Loto

creid said:
First 50 people only? Oh so I would need to leave by 4 AM to get in line... Awesome!

Chairhome

So I just pre ordered mine (got my slime!) And was told that it was supposed to come in today. No street date, so I would have gotten it. I live in Orlando, btw. They said it was probably due to bad weather in texas that they didn't get it, expecting it tomorrow. I need to finish up Ghost Trick!

Amir0x

Banned
It's weird I got DQIV and V and didn't enjoy them but now that I finished them I feel sort of obligated to get this and beat it.

Your marketing worked, Squeenix.

Top Bottom