• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

New DLC tablets batch is out, (with one "story" DLC too)

On this note does anyone know how many more tablets we have before we've done a full rotation ? I believe we're pretty close now.

ETA - Another 9 apparently.
ETA2 - I hate the Tablet hold limit so much. I'm at the limit of what I can clear without a bunch of class grinding and I need another 9 slots. Brilliant.
It doesn't help that several 4 of the tablet bosses are unrecruitable and have odd drops (or steals that don't match drops but none are unique).

Conezays

While I'm probably too busy with work/school stuff at the moment, I decided to finally pick this game up. I'm a pretty big Dragon Quest fan and wanted to play the PS1 game back in the day but never got around to it. I'm about an hour in and enjoying it lots so far. I was a bit worried reading about lag complaints with the menu but it doesn't seem that bad thus far (playing on a New 3DSXL, albeit non-hacked). Lovely localisation and music; hope it continues throughout.

Edit: Definitely a bit of lag in battles and in using items in the inventory. Not the end of the world but indeed noticeable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is my first time hearing about DLC, and it just seems funny that a game so dense with core content is getting these extra dungeons. I almost feel like, "Yeah, I'm good". Anyone reccomend a certain DLC that shines?

Finally got around to All Trades Abbey and unlocking the job system last week, maybe it's partly because I was in an impatient mood but that felt like one tedious quest and am glad it's over, also probably the first vignette I didn't feel invested in. Some questions:

-Is there an online guide similar to the step by step one Nintendo has on their site for the first 20-25 hours? I really enjoyed that guide, it was so useful. I just need something that will help me start plowing through the main quest, don't want to have this game stuck in my backlog past the Switch launch.

-The only job system I'm really interested in exploring in depth are Monster classes (I was absolutely addicted to monster recruiting in DQ V), anything I should keep in mind before I dive in?

-About what point will I be able to start making and receiving tablets via Streetpass in Monster Meadows?

Finally got around to All Trades Abbey and unlocking the job system last week, that was one tedious quest and am glad it's over. Some questions:

-Is there an online guide similar to the step by step one Nintendo has on their site for the first 20-25 hours? I really enjoyed that guide, it was so useful. I just need something that will help me start plowing through the main quest, don't want to have this game stuck in my backlog past the Switch launch.

-The only job system I'm really interested in exploring in depth are Monster classes, anything I should keep in mind before I dive in?

-About what point will I be able to start making and receiving tablets via Streetpass in Monster Meadows?
No, but at this point gameFAQS should have you covered on the class trees and such. This game really needed an official guide, but oh well.
Ask in this thread if you get stuck, or check with the fairy dude in the tablet shrine. He generally will give you a hint, but sometimes his hints aren't enough.
You need a heart from a monster to take on that monster as a class. Monster classes take a while to master compared to your beginning jobs, so I'd recommend mastering a few early jobs on your party members first for skills before you delve too deep into monster classes.
You should already have that option, but if not it should appear soon.

You get intial access to monster meadows after the island of Nottagen appears on the world map in the present.

Also for monster hearts, you do need hearts for the "Base" classes but for advanced monster classes hearts are just shortcuts you can master the pre-requisite monster classes instead.

I do agree with the above otherwise though, don't use more than one or two people for Monster classes in the main game: They are slow to master, have few skills and the lower monster classes have skills that can be learned from the base human classes much quicker. Monster classes don't really shine until you're looking at Tier 3 classes where the permanent access to skills from Tier 2/3 human jobs and the monster resists, immunities and high stats really shine. I do recommend getting Zing or Angel Song on everyone ASAP, the unreliability of Zing in Dragon Quest means you want more than one rezzer unless you want to keep a couple of Rez leaves on everyone.

B.K.

I never played a dragon quest before, should i begin with 7 or wait for 8 or are there other dragon quest on the 3ds?

I probably wouldn't start with VII. VII was my first too, years ago on the PS1. I'm almost 70 hours into the remake and haven't touched it in almost a month. It's a decent game, but it's way too long. It eventually gets to be a chore to play.

I never played a dragon quest before, should i begin with 7 or wait for 8 or are there other dragon quest on the 3ds?

Wait for 8, or get one of the DS ones. 7 has the slowest start out of the series which leaves a bad impression and has the slowest pace overall, I only recommend it if you are already a fan of the series.

I played about 40 hours of VII on the PlayStation before getting tired of it and giving up. I started the 3DS version yesterday and am about 5 hours in so far. Really enjoying it.

I hate Dragon Quest Resurrection so very very much. I just lost a good hour of prepping, clearing a dungeon and fighting an Infernal Kernel boss because Zing failed to work 5 times in a row. (The resource expenditure of MP replenishment items is so high that it necessitates a reset* in case you're wondering why it makes me lose an hour instead of like 20 minutes (which would still suck)).

*4 Prayer Rings and 2 Magic Waters. >

ETA - FFS. Zing just failed 4 times in a row, on the retry. at least it was at the very start of the battle. Does Infernall Kernel have any status effect weaknesses that I'm overling ?
ETA2 - I am willing to consider the possibility that it's not Zing but that Infernal Kernel warps probability itself. I just somehow managed to not tame it despite having a mastered beast master use Animal Magnetism on it 5 times *sigh*. Still the Staff of Re-Resurrection I got from beating it the first time should make this significantly easy since it can cast Kazing.

I hate Dragon Quest Resurrection so very very much. I just lost a good hour of prepping, clearing a dungeon and fighting an Infernal Kernel boss because Zing failed to work 5 times in a row. (The resource expenditure of MP replenishment items is so high that it necessitates a reset* in case you're wondering why it makes me lose an hour instead of like 20 minutes (which would still suck)).

*4 Prayer Rings and 2 Magic Waters. >

ETA - FFS. Zing just failed 4 times in a row, on the retry. at least it was at the very start of the battle. Does Infernall Kernel have any status effect weaknesses that I'm overling ?
ETA2 - I am willing to consider the possibility that it's not Zing but that Infernal Kernel warps probability itself. I just somehow managed to not tame it despite having a mastered beast master use Animal Magnetism on it 5 times *sigh*. Still the Staff of Re-Resurrection I got from beating it the first time should make this significantly easy since it can cast Kazing.

Could be the rng is fucking you.

Could be the rng is fucking you.

Could be. Things went a lot smoother with the Kazing Staff and I tamed it easily.

ETA - Nice to see the Tablet recommended levels and boss / minion disparity isn't one way only. Piles of Presents is Level 25 (which is pretty accurate for the boss) but it's full of minions who are a pain even at 35 (can cast Kathwack, summon end game monsters, etc) and with some nice DLC gear as well as standard mid game stuff.

Hobbun

Just started this up last night and already to the second island and really enjoying it again, bringing back lots of memories.

Not sure I like how they changed the layout of the original dungeon, now you have to talk to that ghost creature to access the pillars. Oh well, not too much of an issue, I guess.

Also, I noticed they changed the names of the different areas. Like Rexwood is now something like Bollywoogle. Or was it because NA originally changed them for the PS1 version and this time they were kept after the 3DS version during localization?

Just started this up last night and already to the second island and really enjoying it again, bringing back lots of memories.

Not sure I like how they changed the layout of the original dungeon, now you have to talk to that ghost creature to access the pillars. Oh well, not too much of an issue, I guess.

Also, I noticed they changed the names of the different areas. Like Rexwood is now something like Bollywoogle. Or was it because NA originally changed them for the PS1 version and this time they were kept after the 3DS version during localization?

The 3DS version is the one they took liberties with.

Does anyone know if grondal still increases class jobs? I'm at the end of the game and at least on the PS1 version this was a great place to level due to the metal king slimed AND it still increased your job battles.

Does anyone know if grondal still increases class jobs? I'm at the end of the game and at least on the PS1 version this was a great place to level due to the metal king slimed AND it still increased your job battles.

Jobs increase by number of battles fought in areas that the character is below the charactet level threshold of. Pretty sure the entire non-sea overworld in present is level 99 in end game.

I found a good, clean step by step HTML walkthrough on Gamefaqs, going to focus and play every day now until I finish the game. I'm on Al Abad now, about how many hours to go? 70-80?

Mcdohl

I am having trouble finding motivation to play this game.

I just got to the town in the first world you visit after gathering the four pieces. A town where people seem to be deconstructing their houses? And I already feel like it's a drag.

I don't know, I find this game to be incredibly slow, even when compared to other titles in the series.

I've played I, IV, V, VI, VIII. Even VI was faster-paced.

I've heard this game is 80 hours long.

Does it ever pick up? I have a feeling it's slow-paced the entire journey, hence the game's massive length.

Define slow pace. You're constantly making progress imho. The vignettes are fairly short and can be knocked out in a few hours. But there is a lot of them.

The vignettes can feel a little pointless since very few of them tie together, nor do you really see much happen in the present with more unlocked (which is understandable given when it came out originally). And the early game up till Alltrades feels like molasses due to the slow start and Alltrades being sadism in RPG foen, "New System", "Psyche! Have a 3 part dungeon with your skills sealed and an underlevelled party member"

Mcdohl

Define slow pace. You're constantly making progress imho. The vignettes are fairly short and can be knocked out in a few hours. But there is a lot of them.

Taking like 1 hour to finally fight, with no real plot intrigue, spectacle, etc. only to bam, now another town with its own sub plot. I know this is classic DQ format, but it's really extra padded here, and it's not amusing when I've already had an hour of that.

It's...peculiar. It looks really pretty though, I can only dream of DQIV or V in that style.

The first minutes are key to a game experience!

The vignettes can feel a little pointless since very few of them tie together, nor do you really see much happen in the present with more unlocked (which is understandable given when it came out originally). And the early game up till Alltrades feels like molasses due to the slow start and Alltrades being sadism in RPG foen, "New System", "Psyche! Have a 3 part dungeon with your skills sealed and an underlevelled party member"

They don't feel pointless to me since I see a lot of value in involving, self contained stories. DQVII is best viewed as a collection of short stories, as opposed to say, a novel in its approach to storytelling. I find that it works with the idea of discovering islands that were lost over time. It makes sense that each island has its own unique story to tell of how things were lost. It gives the islands a strong sense of identity and variety. You then find out the thread that binds all of them together later, but the focus is on the individual stories themselves, I know it's not to everyone's taste but it's a clear and deliberate decision from the creators.

Taking like 1 hour to finally fight, with no real plot intrigue, spectacle, etc. only to bam, now another town with its own sub plot. I know this is classic DQ format, but it's really extra padded here, and it's not amusing when I've already had an hour of that.

It's...peculiar. It looks really pretty though, I can only dream of DQIV or V in that style.

The first minutes are key to a game experience!

I love the beginning. To say it's without lot intrigue isn't fair. I love the atmosphere

brinstar

just did the Nottagen plots...

Wiggles

eMXK7gh.png

Alltrades being like that took a lot of momentum off and made the vignette very tedious and boring.

Oxx

~50-hour spoiler.

Hybris part two
was a cakewalk.

Good thing I didn't reload after struggling to start with.

Top Bottom