• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

Teknoman said:
I wonder if its marked as street dated? We had DQIX in the back for a few days...couldnt grab one since it was marked as such.

I guess so. The store I shop at in Vancouver is notoriously strict about release dates but they were happily putting the game on shelves and calling up preorder customers today.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Got my copy. Still need to beat Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

I was so torn about whether to start DQVI or Tactics Ogre this week. SE made the decision for me by getting this one into stores early!

I just did the walk of shame (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop in the same mall) without any success. I live in the US by the way. Someone in a gamefaq's thread apparently picked theirs up early in Florida, but possibly due to the typical breaking of street date rather than anything similar to the "soft release" memo previously mentioned.

Small enough to fit in a coffee cup with a bit of squishing, really. The "cute but cheap" category.

Strangely enough my Club Nintendo code for the game doesn't work yet. Probably release date blocked...

ghibli99

jaundicejuice said:
Fun fact: I have a Japanese Slime plushie and the North American one is exactly the same.
Cool... a quick glance at eBay shows it selling for like $40, so the same thing for free is a nice bonus.

Teknoman

aidan said:

I was so torn about whether to start DQVI or Tactics Ogre this week. SE made the decision for me by getting this one into stores early!

Im in the same situation as you...but I also need to finish IX and play 4 heroes of light. Too many RPGs.

Hobbun

aidan said:

Is everyone that is getting their DQ VI early live in Canada?

I called my local GS yesterday and the store manager didn't know anything about the game coming out any earlier than next week.

Chairhome

Hobbun said:
Is everyone that is getting their DQ VI early live in Canada?

I called my local GS yesterday and the store manager didn't know anything about the game coming out any earlier than next week.
I'm in orlando. The employee expected the game yesterday but said it was probably due to the bad weather in texas today that they didn't get it. Said it would probably come in today, I'll let you know if I pick it up today

Hobbun

Chairhome said:
I'm in orlando. The employee expected the game yesterday but said it was probably due to the bad weather in texas today that they didn't get it. Said it would probably come in today, I'll let you know if I pick it up today

Ok, thanks.

It’s probably going to be one of those things where I’ll get a phone call today letting me know the game came in.

The current store manager at the GS I go to is a nice guy, but he isn’t ‘in the know’ ahead of time on some things.

Loto

I have bad luck with getting games early. Might try tomorrow if im out and about.

Wondering for people that have it what their impressions are.

You don't really need impressions....it's Dragon Quest. I'm about 5 hours in, and so far there's nothing particularly unique about it other than.....
the link to the pastesque second world map
I haven't yet gotten to the alltrades abbey stuff, which presumably will do more to differentiate it from 5. So far I like 5 quite a bit more than this, which isn't nearly as compelling story wise.

Slime

Banned
Went and pre-ordered it tonight. They wouldn't give it to me, but I did get my little pre-order bonus. Slime plush FTW! In Canadia, no less!

Also, it seems to be coming out on the 15th here, which kind of sucks. So impatient.

john tv

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
You don't really need impressions....it's Dragon Quest. I'm about 5 hours in, and so far there's nothing particularly unique about it other than.....
the link to the pastesque second world map
I haven't yet gotten to the alltrades abbey stuff, which presumably will do more to differentiate it from 5. So far I like 5 quite a bit more than this, which isn't nearly as compelling story wise.
Yeah, 6 is weaker than 5, story-wise, but then again most RPGs are. But 6 does have a number of very interesting mini "episodes" (much like 7/8/9) that are really well done IMO.

Stage On

Even if my local EB games had it early here I'm not sure I'd want to pick it up since they are charging an extra $5 for it up here in Canada. Dumb when Amazon.ca has it for $35 which is the bloody price it should be with our dollar at par.

I've waited this long, what's a couple extra days to save some money.

So I was up until 5am playing this last night :) The story is actually pretty good, and I like the new use of the zoom spell. I'm hoping they do more with the characters, as one's backstory so far is literally "I have no memory lol, I'm coming with you". As John tv says, the actual moment to moment vignettes in the towns are well done, and probably better than the main plot. I particularly liked the one about the treasure hunter who was a bitter old woman because her partner/lover died in a cave in......Great game. I've upgraded it to just as good as 5. ;)

jjgames

I had never played a Dragon Quest game until DQ9. I loved it, but I wanted to know how all the other games compare to that and specifically DQ6?

If I enjoyed 9 would I enjoy 6 too?

jjgames said:
I had never played a Dragon Quest game until DQ9. I loved it, but I wanted to know how all the other games compare to that and specifically DQ6?

If I enjoyed 9 would I enjoy 6 too?

I would say yes, because I love 9, and 6 apparently has the same sort of job system for the characters, though I haven't gotten that far yet. Also shares the same kinda structure of getting to a town and there being a ministory about the drama in that town.

They're all good games, though I'd recommend 5 and 6 over 4 for someone new to the series, as 4 still feels like an NES rpg at heart (which it is). But then, I'm not a fan of preSNES rpgs, so YMMV. :)

Giolon

DQSigned.jpg

Went to the DQVI early launch in Palo Alto today, and got my copies of DQVI and IX signed by the man himself! They had a translator there who asked if I had any questions or things to say and all I could stammer was "Uh, I really like Dragon Quest!".

I showed up about 2 hours early to get in line and was #47 (out of 50 guaranteed to get signatures but about 65 did). The first guy in line came w/ friends from LA and tried to line up at 5pm the previous day but the cops wouldn't let them, so they came back at 2AM and got in line then. o_0

And here's everything I got signed/received:

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Haven't yet started, but that's what Sunday's for. As for my position in line, I think I was within the first 30-something or so (I didn't really count).

Very nice on getting Yuji Hori signed copies! Very cool!

darkvir said:
Yes, I would say so.
Okay, that's the impression I'm getting from those who played all three. V's the best one out of the three, mostly because of the story, but VI is also good and IV's the weakest of the three.

I enjoyed IV so if VI is better than that, than that's good! :)

jjgames

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I would say yes, because I love 9, and 6 apparently has the same sort of job system for the characters, though I haven't gotten that far yet. Also shares the same kinda structure of getting to a town and there being a ministory about the drama in that town.

They're all good games, though I'd recommend 5 and 6 over 4 for someone new to the series, as 4 still feels like an NES rpg at heart (which it is). But then, I'm not a fan of preSNES rpgs, so YMMV. :)

Thank you. I will definitely be getting VI then. DQ9 was one of the best games I had played in a while so even if 6 is only close to as good, I will have a great time. THanks

Celine

Giolon said:
DQSigned.jpg

Went to the DQVI early launch in Palo Alto today, and got my copies of DQVI and IX signed by the man himself! They had a translator there who asked if I had any questions or things to say and all I could stammer was "Uh, I really like Dragon Quest!".

I showed up about 2 hours early to get in line and was #47 (out of 50 guaranteed to get signatures but about 65 did). The first guy in line came w/ friends from LA and tried to line up at 5pm the previous day but the cops wouldn't let them, so they came back at 2AM and got in line then. o_0
So you lost th chance to ask about Dragon Quest X :p

Chairhome

Jealous of those that met yuji hori! I'm going to check again if my gs got the game in yet, since I just finished ghost trick last night.

Is there any local wireless or wifi feature for this game?

Loto

Chairhome said:
Jealous of those that met yuji hori! I'm going to check again if my gs got the game in yet, since I just finished ghost trick last night.

Is there any local wireless or wifi feature for this game?
There is a WiFi feature. You can share dreams with other people. I am not sure how that effects your game.

rykomatsu

Auron_Kale said:
And here's everything I got signed/received:

Haven't yet started, but that's what Sunday's for. As for my position in line, I think I was within the first 30-something or so (I didn't really count).

lol...I must have walked by you while taking my dog for a walk...was wondering wtf the line was for in front of GS until I asked someone.

rykomatsu said:
lol...I must have walked by you while taking my dog for a walk...was wondering wtf the line was for in front of GS until I asked someone.
Probably, as there were tons of people asking just that while we stood there. d(^_^o)

At least it was a nice day out, as I was worried that it might've been raining this weekend. But luckily it starts raining on Monday.

watkinzez

Giolon said:
Went to the DQVI early launch in Palo Alto today, and got my copies of DQVI and IX signed by the man himself! They had a translator there who asked if I had any questions or things to say and all I could stammer was "Uh, I really like Dragon Quest!"

I laughed, but then I probably wouldn't do any better in that situation.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I noticed that my local Gamestop has Dragon Quest V in stock. I think tomorrow I will pick up that instead of this as V is rare and I've never played it. Either way, I'll be getting some Dragon Quest in tomorrow. :)

isny

napkin dispenser
Fantastical said:
I noticed that my local Gamestop has Dragon Quest V in stock. I think tomorrow I will pick up that instead of this as V is rare and I've never played it. Either way, I'll be getting some Dragon Quest in tomorrow. :)

Seems to be a few used copies available around here for $40, worth picking up? (V)

Loto

isny said:
Seems to be a few used copies available around here for $40, worth picking up? (V)
Yes, I think it has one of the best stories of any RPG I have played. The game has a little bit of everything.

Top Bottom