• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

Yottamole

Banned
Went to Gamestop to pick up my preorder. The guy told me there were 3 preorders in total. Only 2 copies shipped in. Both were picked up before I went. :(

But did get my slime plushie though.

ghibli99

This game has been wonderful so far (about 1h30m in)... it's neat seeing all the names of stuff that has come up in subsequent DQ games. It's like being reunited with an old friend.

Loto

woo hoo finally got to start in on it. One thing I noticed right away was the full 360 degree camera control. I don't remember being able to fully rotate the camera in IV, V or IX.

Johnas

7:15 in so far, just got the Royal Missive to go to Ghent and
get my own ship
. I came dangerously close to wiping out once, but managed to barely make it back with one character alive. Technically I did wipe once when I entered this crazy hard dungeon that apparently I wasn't supposed to visit yet. I didn't get any kind of warning or anything either, kind of strange.

I can sort of feel the Chrono Trigger influence that I've seen people previously mention. The plot has been a little confusing at times, as to "where" I am at any given point. I feel like the game will make things a bit clearer as I unfold the mystery, though.

Loto said:
woo hoo finally got to start in on it. One thing I noticed right away was the full 360 degree camera control. I don't remember being able to fully rotate the camera in IV, V or IX.

On that note, I have yet to encounter a single dungeon that allows any camera control at all. Not that it has really been a problem. Wait, I take that back. A couple of tower areas let me, forgot about those.

IX definitely never let you do a full circle, IV and V did at times if I remember correctly.

Edgeward

Still backordered. D=

Fucking hell, if I didn't have MvC3 to keep me busy I'd be more pissed. But for now I'll give them some more leeway.

Aselith

Well, I hadn't looked in on this thread at all and went to check on when I should expect my shipment from Gamestop. What the fuck is this shit? They can't fulfill fucking preorders? You've failed me again and for the last time, Gamestop. Order cancelled.

Holmes

Loto said:
You can do it in IV and V (and VII), not IX.

isny

napkin dispenser
djtiesto said:
It's only the best DQ game ever...

Alright, took y'all's advice, paid $39.99 minus 10% edge discount and minus $8 in credit. Total was $27.99 plus taxes.

(Complete copy with manual in brand new condition! Just had to replace the case...luckily I have lots of those!)

692a80.jpg

Yup, sounds like Nintendo produced another small print run by reading everyone's issue with getting their copies.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy either. But the dud send me an email this morning apologizing for the delay. The order is still showing to be delivered tomorrow. Maybe they give me free overnight shipping...

fates

Don't understand why Nintendo would have decided on a small print run. If DQ9 would have flopped, fine... but it didn't. What the hell Nintendo?

Topping that off, why put ads all over popular sites like Gamefaqs and in magazines when you don't even produce enough to get the people who see those ads?

thefil

Went and picked up a copy hearing about all these supply issues, even though I probably won't play it for a year.

Between this and Tactics Ogre, I think my gaming budget is used up until Skyrim :x.

thefil

aidan said:
For what it's worth, there are copies all over the place up here in Canada.

Yeah, when I got my copy there seemed to be a virtually unlimited supply. Kitchener/Waterloo in Ontario.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Managed to get my preorder, with the Slime, yesterday... I was worried because there's a new fat kid, who kinda smells, working there (the fat dude manager guy knows his shit at least when it comes to obscure RPGs and my tastes) and he was pretty clueless out of any games that weren't shitty MMOs. There was also a younger kid there, a hipster kid - didn't even know how to spell "Tactics" when I asked for my preorder of TO and the tarot cards - neither of them knew about the tarot card bonus either.

So I started playing this, first time since the SFC version came out (never beat it, got about halfway through but the challenge level + my lack of Japanese knowledge got to me)... the music in this game is probably my favorite in the series, and already the snappy pace and (so far) slight restraint on puns/accents make it soooo much better than DQ9. I dunno if it was hype, or that to kill time waiting for this game I was playing Soul Bubbles (which I bought into the GAF hype and thought was dull as hell)... but damn I just want to play more. Too bad I have so much work to catch up on :(

Risible

Hello,

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on February 11 2011 (Order# xxxx). We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0GKIQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The shipping notification will include an updated estimated delivery date and tracking information if it's available.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Found there's a copy of DQV in town... at a Gamestop that's on a military base >_<

Ah well, maybe I'll get lucky and find it non bootlegged on ebay... hah.

fates

What I don't understand is why they'd market it so heavily, bring Yuji Horii over to sign copies, hold a contest, cover Gamespot in DQ6 skins...

... and then not even produce enough copies to fill preorders?

Both my Amazon orders are still stuck. My copy still says "Shipping soon", and the one I bought for my brother hasn't even started processing.

EDIT: As of this post, Gamestop's website is no longer selling new copies.

botticus

fates said:
EDIT: As of this post, Gamestop's website is no longer selling new copies.
Pretty sweet that it was listed as "ships in 24 hours" for two days, and they apparently couldn't even fulfill my preorder.

fates

That's happening to a few others too.

I thought Nintendo handling this would be a blessing but damn, this is even worse than DQ5. DQ5 was at least able to accommodate all of it's preorders.

[DirecTV Russian Voice]: Dragon Quest VI, I has it.

Picked it up at Gamestop. Didn't appear at the websites store availability checker but went anwyays and they had it :).

fates

ghibli99 said:
...but not much else.

Well, a game going out of print after two months or so isn't the same as not being able to fill your preorders.

Whoever predicted the numbers for this in Nintendo... was clearly off.

Oxx said:
All the copies went to European importers raging against NOE's shoddy DS release schedule.
If I can get a copy of Inazuna Eleven in English, we can call it even.

Just curious, has anyone had their Amazon order ship yet? The site shows it in stock. I just want my "shipped" confirmation to cone through...

Reluctant-Hero said:
If I can get a copy of Inazuna Eleven in English, we can call it even.

Just curious, has anyone had their Amazon order ship yet? The site shows it in stock. I just want my "shipped" confirmation to cone through...
Mine has been stuck at shipping soon for two days now.

This is dumb. I'm generally pretty patient when it comes to games releasing, but this is getting frustrating. I need my DQ fix!

fates

I have two active orders on Amazon. One has been at shipping soon for a day now. The other hasn't even started processing.

JodyAnthony said:
amazon order shipped!

they boosted me to next day shipping for free (was 2 day prime)
That's good to know, my order is still shipping soon. Did you have to contact them at all, or did it upgrade by itself? I really want this game tomorrow, and I don't think I can wait until Friday.

fates

I contacted them and got my one order boosted to free one-day. For some reason it had a ship date of March 1st. They said it was an error. On my other order though, the date had an expected delivery of the 20th, which was reasonable enough.

They both have yet to ship.

Pro: Amazon just shipped my order!

Con: It shipped via USPS standard.

Pro: I live in Seattle, so if this shipped from their local warehouse, I should have it in a day or two.

Easystride said:
That's good to know, my order is still shipping soon. Did you have to contact them at all, or did it upgrade by itself? I really want this game tomorrow, and I don't think I can wait until Friday.
They just shipped and upgraded the shipping themselves. It had changed to "shipping soon" this morning

rpmurphy

Two days late but got my copy today at GS. Yay! Too bad I don't have as much free time to play it until the weekend now. :(

bought at bestbuy.com just in case it's limited. Didn't want to but i had to.
Edit: picked it up. Cute guy named gabe asked what i came to pick up. Lost what i was going to say and i was like dragon quest 4 lol

Solune

Gunloc said:
Got my copy in the mail, but no slime plushie... :(

Phoned the customer service line (my copy of Tactics Ogre w/ tarot cards was delayed too) and they told me that they didn't receive as many slimes as they thought they were getting, but they'll be getting more tomorrow to ship out.

The waiting sucks, but the CS guy was really helpful and courteous so it's not too much of a hassle. I'll just play MvC3 while I'm waiting.

Just quoting Gunloc but also in case for anyone else. Gamestop emailed that they didn't have enough plushies due to delays and will be shipping out tomorrow. So if you haven't gotten a plushie and are waiting for it from Gamestop online hopefully they get one to everyone that missed one.

Ceebs

How similar is this to DQ9? Not a big fan of JRPGs but for some reason loved 9. Sell me on this since I need a new DS game!

ElFly

Ceebs said:
How similar is this to DQ9? Not a big fan of JRPGs but for some reason loved 9. Sell me on this since I need a new DS game!

It's somewhat different.

The emphasis is in the interesting towns, and navigating the gigantic map. There's a job system, but it's less deep than the one in 9. The main party is somewhat generic in its storyline.

Also, the graphics are composed of sprites for all the characters/monsters, unlike 9.

Edgeward

Solune said:
Just quoting Gunloc but also in case for anyone else. Gamestop emailed that they didn't have enough plushies due to delays and will be shipping out tomorrow. So if you haven't gotten a plushie and are waiting for it from Gamestop online hopefully they get one to everyone that missed one.

Yup, same boat here. Game shipped without plushie but said they would ship it separately when it comes in. Never again, GS.

Synless

john tv said:
A woman drops a ring in a well and a monster refers to the ring as precious and says a few golemish things with words ending in sSss. I believe it is town 2 or 3.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ceebs said:

It's faster paced, with less job-leveling, much less slowdown, more interesting sub-plots/scenarios and beautiful sprites instead of ugly 3D models for the characters and enemies.

Top Bottom