• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
bXe0n.jpg

I did my part guys. I won't be able to play it for a while, however. My backlog got huge last year.

Time to finish Golden Sun.

Hobbun

Chairhome said:
My store has had the plushie since last week. I picked up the Plushie on Thursday.

Yay! I'm playing now!

Hmm, my store hasn't said anything about the plushies and I've been in several times recently. And they know I preordered the game (always good about giving my preorder bonuses).

Edit-To Regulus Terra: Oooh, you have Tactics Ogre as well. Probably won't be able to get that until tomorrow.

bon

Buying this now in case it gets rare, then setting it aside for later since I haven't finished IX yet.

ghibli99

Picked mine up from Best Buy this morning, along with the guide. Cancelled my preorder at Amazon. Glad to finally have it, and can't wait to dive in. :)

mr stroke

doesn't seem like they are printing many copies of this game?

Sounds like I could buy this now, leave it sealed, and profit 5 years from now?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
mr stroke said:
doesn't seem like they are printing many copies of this game?

Sounds like I could buy this now, leave it sealed, and profit 5 years from now?

Nintendo-published after DQIX? Doubt it.

Johnas

Picked up my pre-ordered copy and the slime plushie from a Gamestop near Memphis, TN.

Dude told me that shipments on it were weird, that other stores in the area didn't have it. Not sure how correct that info was.

Erdrick

Finally... since when... 1995? I am finally playing the last DQ game that I have never played before... I never thought this day would come that I would be able to play all the mainline DQ games in English, but here we are.

It's a little step back after playing DQ9 for so long, but it's easy to get back into the little regressions since the series has had such a gradual evolution over the past 20+ years.

I picked mine up a few hours ago and am just doing my usual routine of earning enough gold to buy the best weapons/armour/items in the town before moving on. It's a very nice game so far from what little I have played and it's so nice to return to a *new* DQ game.

I'm eager to see what is next in this game.

Chairhome

Erdrick said:
Finally... since when... 1995? I am finally playing the last DQ game that I have never played before... I never thought this day would come that I would be able to play all the mainline DQ games in English, but here we are.

It's a little step back after playing DQ9 for so long, but it's easy to get back into the little regressions since the series has had such a gradual evolution over the past 20+ years.

I picked mine up a few hours ago and am just doing my usual routine of earning enough gold to buy the best weapons/armour/items in the town before moving on. It's a very nice game so far from what little I have played and it's so nice to return to a *new* DQ game.

Yeah, its a step back from DQ IX, which I loved. Maybe after this one, I'll finally try to get back into DQ VII (ripped it to my PSP) and then I will have beaten every Dragon Quest. Someday...

ghibli99

Erdrick said:

That sounds absolutely wonderful. :)

Erdrick

I would like them to port/remake (Or more accurately, re-localize) DQVII for the DS now. Out of all the DQ games in NA now, it needs it the most.

(Actually, I'd probably kill for remakes of the original DQI, II and III on one disc or cart or whatever. If they could make them look like VIII did... Or at least redo the original 3 to look more like the DS Zenithian trilogy. visual and more importantly, translation-wise.)

But beggars can't be choosers. I'm just thrilled to finally play this DQ game in English. This is the one DQ game that I honestly know the least about. Having played DQM before, I know Terry and Milly or however she is called in this now. (Mirelle? I forget her current moniker.) Other than Ghost Trick, this is the first DS game to be in my DS OTHER than DQIX since July. That's saying a lot.

Yuripaw

Banned
I did actually end up picking up this game today along with MvC3, but I'm not gonna open it up just yet.

I already asked this question earlier in the thread, but I just wanted to reiterate it again, because it might've gotten lost in the thread. I still know very little about this entry in the DQ series.

Is there any insight anyone could give me for this game? I already know it got the same treatment as the other DS remakes of DQ4 and 5, but how was the game otherwise? Was this game fondly remembered by anyone when it originally came out on the Super Famicom in Japan? Is the story and characters any good for this one?

Managed to get my plushie (finally) last night. I kinda wish it was a Slime Knight one (since that was the artwork used at GS to advertise the plushie) but I'm glad it's a traditional Slime.

Also picked up my Tactics Ogre tarot cards, so both the game and MvC3 will be bought tonight...though I'm thinking of picking up a new DualShock3 as well...

ghibli99

I couldn't wait until tonight... I tore off the shrinkwrap and loaded it up a few minutes ago.

I'm only like, what, 5 minutes in, and this is just glorious. So vibrant and fun to look at, and through headphones, it sounds beautiful too. Definitely gonna savor this one!

Thanks again to Nintendo for publishing this... I think a lot of us thought this day would never come after the long wait after 5. :)

fates

Not sure what's going on with this game but it's pretty annoying.

My order from Amazon that I placed in June of last year said it wasn't shipping until March so I called them up to ask why, they volunteered to give me free one-day shipping as a result so okay. But my brother's copy that preordered from Gamestop... well, they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about the game.

Oh and there's already a game + slime plush listing for 100$ on Amazon too.

So, did this go out of print before it was even printed or something?

ghibli99

fates said:
Not sure what's going on with this game but it's pretty annoying.

My order from Amazon that I placed in June of last year said it wasn't shipping until March so I called them up to ask why, they volunteered to give me free one-day shipping as a result so okay. But my brother's copy that preordered from Gamestop... well, they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about the game.

Oh and there's already a game + slime plush listing for 100$ on Amazon too.

So, did this go out of print before it was even printed or something?
It sounds like it's just getting to retailers slower than expected, but I wouldn't worry about supply or anything. It *is* annoying that it didn't make its release date at most stores, though, and the Amazon thing is particularly puzzling.

Johnas

Just got the
wagon
at 2:08.

This game is SO GOOD. It really is impressing me more than I thought it would.

Nothing quite like playing a "new" DQ.

JodyAnthony said:
Amazon Prime order that I preordered may 30th of last year still hasn't shipped. Lame.
My Amazon order shows as being "prepared for shipment". Just be patient. Sometimes Amazon is slow to update their shipping/order status.

Ravidrath

Did anyone else that pre-ordered from EB not get their plush slime?

The guy said "I don't think we got them in, but you can call the next couple of days to see if we got them."

Like... I hate giving money to Gamestop, but did because of the slime. And now they don't even have it? And I have to do work and follow-up on it?

Yottamole

Banned
PataHikari said:
I doubt it.

Fairly sure at this point Square has a single engine they use for pretty much all of their handheld games.
Uhhh...DQ6 is made by ArtePiazza, which uses the same engine as DQ4 and DQ5, which seems to be a modified engine of DQ7.

ghibli99

Oni Link 666 said:
This game is done in the DQ7 engine, right?
They're similar, but it's much cleaner than the game of 10 years ago, and so much better suited for the small screen. I was really impressed just with the opening moments.

I just got it at GS. It should keep me busy until Pokemon comes out. I'll probably hold off on really playing it until I'm done with Ace Attorney Investigations though. I'm on case 4 so I should be done with it soon.

Risible

Ravidrath said:
Did anyone else that pre-ordered from EB not get their plush slime?

The guy said "I don't think we got them in, but you can call the next couple of days to see if we got them."

Like... I hate giving money to Gamestop, but did because of the slime. And now they don't even have it? And I have to do work and follow-up on it?

Amazon: "We're so sorry, for various reasons we can't give you the item we promised as a pre-order bonus. Please accept this $10 voucher good for any other videogame. Oh, and you can have Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for half-price."

Gamestop: "LOL no more plushies fuck off"

Ravidrath

Risible said:
Amazon: "We're so sorry, for various reasons we can't give you the item we promised as a pre-order bonus. Please accept this $10 voucher good for any other videogame. Oh, and you can have Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for half-price."

Gamestop: "LOL no more plushies fuck off"

I actually just got back from the store with it.

They called and said they found them. When I got there to pick it up, the manager was there, who said she had "hidden" them and forgot to tell the other employees.

Maybe this is my opinion of Gamestop affecting my judgment, but it makes me wonder if they hid them for the purpose of selling them. These are prime eBay fodder, after all, and people I know who have worked at Gamestop say that kind of thing is known to happen.

Either way, I'm happy now and can go back to not giving the store money.

Got my copy in the mail, but no slime plushie... :(

Phoned the customer service line (my copy of Tactics Ogre w/ tarot cards was delayed too) and they told me that they didn't receive as many slimes as they thought they were getting, but they'll be getting more tomorrow to ship out.

The waiting sucks, but the CS guy was really helpful and courteous so it's not too much of a hassle. I'll just play MvC3 while I'm waiting.

Still waiting on my Amazon order, though it's not supposed to be here till Thursday.

I would also like to see Dragon Quest VII remade using the enhanced DS version of the engine. I played 30 or so hours into the PSone version on my PSP a couple of years ago, and the graphics could definitely benefit from some sharpening.

inner-G

Banned
Got Dayum!

Started playing, and this is an amazing game. Played some of a fan translation before, but the game looks amazing on my XL. The little touches and animations are great. It has a lot of heart.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Amazon just sent me an e-mail that said they were able to get my Dragon Quest VI to me faster than they thought (Mid March) now I'll get it sometime between February 18th to 21st. They also sent me an update on the game's guide that I ordered. Now I should get that by March 1st.

Yes, got mine this afternoon!

So now this means the only DQ's I still don't have are 2, 3 and 7. Are there english versions of 2 and 3? I so, for what system? NES? Or were they ever re-made?

Jucksalbe

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Are there english versions of 2 and 3? I so, for what system? NES? Or were they ever re-made?

There are english versions for both on the NES and the GBC. The GBC ones are ports of the SNES remakes (which were not officially released in English).

Johnas

DidntKnowJack said:
Yes, got mine this afternoon!

So now this means the only DQ's I still don't have are 2, 3 and 7. Are there english versions of 2 and 3? I so, for what system? NES? Or were they ever re-made?

Welcome to the DQVI party. They're all worth it, but definitely make a point sometime to play III, if you're able.

Side note, after playing this game the item amor seco essence that I've seen in other DQs finally makes sense.

gblues

Banned
slime.jpg

My collection is nearly complete--I'm only mising DQ3 GBC and a working copy of Dragon Warrior 7. I have DQ 1&2 GBC, DQ 4-6 DS, DQ8 PS2, and DQ9 DS. I still have my copy of Dragon Warrior 7 but it's too scratched up to be played. :(

fates

Reading posts on other places about Gamestops being sold out already...

Didn't want to believe it but it looks like they might have sent out an extremely small print of this game. Even less than DQ5 because that at least took a bit more than a month to disappear. Why would they do that after the success of DQ9? o_O I realize this wouldn't reach DQ9's numbers but this...

Top Bottom