• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone who has played the Trails in the Sky series make a comparison? I'm only at Ch3 in TiTS SC, wondering how this game compares with its characters and world building compare to that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So what's the difference in the two camera settings? I can't really tell.

The one big thing I liked about the tablet version was it didn't feel as claustrophobic as this.

Aeana

So what's the difference in the two camera settings? I can't really tell.

The one big thing I liked about the tablet version was it didn't feel as claustrophobic as this.

The primary difference is what happens when the camera bumps up against terrain. One of them will force the camera upward.

scamander

Banned
I pre-ordered the eShop-version on Gamesrocket and still didn't receive my code (it's 4am here). Wtf Gamesrocket? "5-10 Minutes" my ass.

Anyway, this will be my first Dragon Quest and I'm pretty excited.^^ Just hope it doesn't take too long anymore.

rockyt

I am really exited excited to gey my hand on this game tommorro. Jealous of those that got there hands on this.

Arkeband

Banned
I miss the hermit going "Look at those funbags!" and some of the other intro stuff. So far they've made it shorter but also a little soulless.

I'm currently stepping on two buttons while Kiefer remarks "I wonder what treasure we'll find here!" when it's like five feet in front of us for the fourth time in a row.

I miss the hermit going "Look at those funbags!" and some of the other intro stuff. So far they've made it shorter but also a little soulless.

I'm currently stepping on two buttons while Kiefer remarks "I wonder what treasure we'll find here!" when it's like five feet in front of us for the fourth time in a row.

It's kind of silly to me. They wanted to streamline the temple... yet by making you leave it and go halfway across the island and do a repetative task, it seems to me that it took me just as long to do that as it did to do the puzzles... but with a much inferior layout.

Didn't help that I spaced out and forgot to grab the sword after hitting its switches, went all the way back to the Fane, realized my error when placing the relics and then was forced to go back to that tomb.

Silly change definitely for the worse IMHO, but otherwise this version has been great. I'm about 4 hours in. I'm on the second island.

Lothar

Banned
Anyone who has played the Trails in the Sky series make a comparison? I'm only at Ch3 in TiTS SC, wondering how this game compares with its characters and world building compare to that.

Only in Chapter 1 of TiTS FC but I played it for 18 hours.

Any Dragon Quest would compare well with Trails. Both have the two slowest paced stories I've seen in RPGs, and that's a good thing. It's a calm relaxing pace which is unique. It's not uncommon to spend a hour or more in the town areas as you interact with the townspeople. That makes the world feel more alive than other RPG series. A major part of what I like in both games is the characters reacting to the people in the towns. This happens much more in DQ7. The main character is silent in DQ7 so the story is more about the vignettes in the towns than the main characters. That's different. The characters are still cool though. They have funny lines and get development but it's not about them.

Spending 5 hours in the first town of Trails really really reminded me of the hours it takes in the beginning of DQ7 to get to the first battle. (They shortened it up a bit due to complaints)

It's kind of silly to me. They wanted to streamline the temple... yet by making you leave it and go halfway across the island and do a repetative task, it seems to me that it took me just as long to do that as it did to do the puzzles... but with a much inferior layout.

That's exactly how I felt about it. It didn't really save that much time and it was definitely less interesting. The only ones it really benefits are the people that would struggle with the puzzle solving, and I'm rather dubious that there are people that would struggle with puzzles that simple for more than a few seconds

Aeana

I still can't figure out how it ever took people "hours" to get to the first battle in DQ7. I have tried going really slowly, talking to every NPC after every single action, and even that ended with me under 2 hours. It usually takes me about 45-60 minutes.

Riddler

I still can't figure out how it ever took people "hours" to get to the first battle in DQ7. I have tried going really slowly, talking to every NPC after every single action, and even that ended with me under 2 hours. It usually takes me about 45-60 minutes.

I'm sure in one of the interviews that is one of the things they changed.

Rainy

Banned
Was going to ask if anyone was streaming on twitch but i remember streaming from the 3DS is a pain.

Might pick this up..

Aters

Here's a comparison: it's like apple and orange.

To elaborate: I really don't see the similarity except they are both very slow. Trails series has a huge arc across multiple games while DQ7 focus on separate vignettes. I think the characters is the core of the Trails series, and the world is built around them. You learn more about the world when you dig into the characters (especially in Cold Steel because every party member is son/daughter of some important figure). While in DQ7 you're a silent prog, an adventurer, and the world is there for you to discover. In other words, in Trails you are always looking at your own story, while in DQ7, you, for the most part, are just a witness and a side character of the story.

alf717

Pre-ordered on Amazon 9 months ago. My card has since expired and it let me know I needed to change the card charged to a valid one. I changed the card literally 2 minutes after I got the e-mail. It now shows Tuesday, September 20. Contacted Amazon support. They can't do anything.

4 years I've been waiting for this game. Fucking hell.

I'm sure to have a grand old time hunting for this game at brick and mortar stores tomorrow.

They fixed mine in time and even charged me for a second copy. Hurray for me. =P I just want a copy that isn't destroy by one of the many holes 3DS and Wii U cases have for retail NA releases so tired of damaged stuff.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does the 3D affect the framerate? It seems to, but I can't exactly tell.

rockyt

Very slowly since people whom are like me like to savor everything in dragon quest. I think it's the only series I do this wirh lol. I just look around and admire it lol.

rockyt

Kinda hard to explain in one of those people who spends hrs in town than grinding and back to town in dragon quest.

selo

How do you redeem the theme anyways? I tried entering my code in the main eshop redeem code section, and it told me to do it within the software

EDIT: nvm, figured it out

Biske

You really come to realize that you are destined to be a hero when you can one punch barrels.

Call me Barrel Puncher MD

Graciaus

This is my first time playing and it took me two hours to get the first battle. Talking to all the npcs and exploring the two towns for treasure took most of the time. Breaking every barrel and interacting with every dresser looking for stuff as well. Going in the back ways of shops seeing what's inside. Seeing where all the doorways in the castle go. There is a lot to see.

JC Lately

Ok, staying up to play this as soon as it unlocks was clearly a mistake, as I am too damn sleepy to locate whatever trigger I need to hit to get this damn ship to leave. And since the quick save doesn't work in town and the priest at the church isn't doing their job, guess I'll just start over on the morning after I get some sleep and can read a text box without nodding off.

First time I played the psx version, it took me about 4 hours. But I was a dumb kid and I spoke with everyone multiple times and checked and double checked everything.

This time I think it took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Ballymalloy took about the same.

4 hours in and i'm in embervale.

Megatron

Didn't realize this bonus theme didn't even have music. Oh well.

What?!!! That is some bullshit!

Ok, staying up to play this as soon as it unlocks was clearly a mistake, as I am too damn sleepy to locate whatever trigger I need to hit to get this damn ship to leave. And since the quick save doesn't work in town and the priest at the church isn't doing their job, guess I'll just start over on the morning after I get some sleep and can read a text box without nodding off.

Just close your 3ds.

I've only put in about an hour, but that being said I only made it up to the entrance to the castle town lmao. I think I am one of those won't see a fight for 2hrs+ people too.

Seems good so far, quick save ftw, and lots of hidden stuff for you to hunt around for lol

So whats the play time / plot marker to activate Street pass ? Don't have time to get into this seriously but want to get Street pass on.

So far the opening is pretty slow and I remember DQIX was a fair way to get it's equivalent.

EricB

I've now played up to the first new island. Having completed and loved the original (a solid contender for my favorite game ever), I was slightly worried that the new graphics might somehow ruin the charm of the game. I am happy to say that the charm seems to be fully in tact. In fact, the new graphics kind of add the exploration aspect of Dragon Quest VIII into part VII. Walking around and not knowing what will be over the next hill is something that was not really possible with the original.
While I do agree with the sentiment that the shortened intro was unnecessary and inferior (as was the removal of the orchestrated music), I am absolutely loving this version of the game so far. I don't recall ever having such a great time replaying a game.

Karu

Just did my first battle at the 1.52 hour mark. So yeah, exploring everything at the tart still takes you awhile, but it's all good. Love roaming through the towns and finding hidden stuff etc.

Kadin

Never been a fan of rotating the camera with the shoulder buttons. Hopefully it becomes natural soon and since stuff can be hidden, I can't imagine playing without them.

Other than that, a couple hours in and loving it so far.

There is no hard mode or anything for this one correct? The DQ games are sleep inducing.

I doubt you've gotten very far in a DQ game. DQ games are generally for all ages but still have a lot of difficulty spikes that require some careful planning and resource management. DQ7 in particular has a lot of spikes. They're definitely not sleep inducing. You cannot beat a DQ just pressing attack.

Sotha Sil

Great OT! Can't wait to start, first time playing DQVII.

(My favorite part of Dragon Quest threads has to be Aeana's exasperation at our general lack of skill)

Top Bottom