• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Caim

Not sure if it has already been posted but it's 11,632 blocks in the eShop for those who are wondering.

Woke up and the game was live! Already about 45 minutes in and regretting my body's need for sustenance. I'm busting all the pots and talking to everyone, so game progress is very slow. Dreading the puzzles area, as everyone seems to not like the changes.

The camera and movement does feel a little outdated or rough to me, but it is a pretty minor gripe considering. Taking into account the platform and age, game is gorgeous and the music is fantastic. Very happy just to finally be playing this again.

A wee bit sad that it took so long to get to NA because now there are no faceplates or nubbin camera controls.

Woke up and the game was live! Already about 45 minutes in and regretting my body's need for sustenance. I'm busting all the pots and talking to everyone, so game progress is very slow. Dreading the puzzles area, as everyone seems to not like the changes.

The camera and movement does feel a little outdated or rough to me, but it is a pretty minor gripe considering. Taking into account the platform and age, game is gorgeous and the music is fantastic. Very happy just to finally be playing this again.

A wee bit sad that it took so long to get to NA because now there are no faceplates or nubbin camera controls.

Yeah, the camera angle and manual rotation is pretty bad especially on the overworld.

The intro is very drawn out too. I understand what they are trying to do: children in a place that seems at peace, but it means there's no meaningful game mechanics for like 2 hours.

selo

Finally got to my first battle, after 2:40 minutes, guess the fun starts now although gotta go to bed now, heh

Biske

God damn.

They really really did butcher the opening of the game. I knew they did, but I can't believe they really did it and did it so badly. Taking that fun puzzle dungeon and turning it to what amounts to a fetch quest?

Wooooooooooooow.

I'm past it and onto the rest, but jesus. Thats awful, I'll never understand that decision. It doesn't really save any time, and takes away an awesome part of the game.

scamander

Banned
So, apparently you only get the free theme, if you download from the eShop directly, not if you use a pre-purchased download code. Now I'm sad. :(

Yep. Had to delete Legend of Legacy to make room. :(

Not really a loss, is it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: I didn't get any Gold Points. Wtf? Anyone else having the same problem?

Wow. The Fane was gutted. That took me ten minutes tops, half of which was exploring a bit and then backtracking.

The worst part is that it didn't make the opening appreciably shorter unless you're trying to barrel through as quickly as possible, which is really going against the grain of this game.

Karu

Wow. The Fane was gutted. That took me ten minutes tops, half of which was exploring a bit and then backtracking.

The worst part is that it didn't make the opening appreciably shorter unless you're trying to barrel through as quickly as possible, which is really going against the grain of this game.
What are the exact changes they made? One of the structures in the beginning had more demanding puzzles or?

Biske

Yeah why they felt the need to try and make a 70 hour plus game shorter...

Like. Really? Really guys?

What are the exact changes they made? One of the structures in the beginning had more demanding puzzles or?
Basically there was a beginning puzzle dungeon, they cut it all out and you get the puzzle items/solution immediately without any Work

JimPanzer

Coming from Bravely Second it's so refreshing to not having to listen to the opinion of every party member for everything what happens.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah...The fane lost a lot of mystery. But the game has been otherwise very good. It's a very "warm" RPG for me:)

And I'm definitely going to take a long time to play through the game XD.

I think it's safe to say that my playtime is always almost double of Aeana's.

PSFan

Yeah...The fane lost a lot of mystery. But the game has been otherwise very good. It's a very "warm" RPG for me:)

And I'm definitely going to take a long time to play through the game XD.

I think it's safe to say that my playtime is always almost double of Aeana's.

Wow, that really sucks about the Fane. Exploring it and finally discovering what was going on was one of the best parts of the game for me.

I almost feel like starting up the PS1 version on my PSP now instead.

SuperSah

Banned
Wow, that really sucks about the Fane. Exploring it and finally discovering what was going on was one of the best parts of the game for me.

I almost feel like starting up the PS1 version on my PSP now instead.

I am sure it is only the beginning which was edited.

The item is out if stock on Amazon and my delivery date is still Jan 2017. Wtf? Do my bad luck with Amazon continue? I perordered this since last year!

cluderi

Meanwhile here in the UK my Tesco order still hasn't shipped and now it's marked as "Sorry, this product is currently unavailable."

PSFan

The item is out if stock on Amazon and my delivery date is still Jan 2017. Wtf? Do my bad luck with Amazon continue? I perordered this since last year!

Wow, I had it preordered on Amazon since it went up as well but mine will be here today. I guess they ran out of copies before even preorders were filled?

EricB

Ok, so I am loving the one-handed battles. Both L and R can be used for menu commands and running through battle text. Great for some mindless grinding while multitasking.

I am a bit disappointed by the lower screen dungeon map. I know I could just avert my eyes and not use it, but that would be kind of ridiculous. I feel having fully completed maps takes away from the explorative aspect of the game. With no random battles, dungeon exploration is far less frustrating than it used to be anyway. I'd at least like to have seen the maps fill in as you explore or something.

Minor gripes though-I am only critical because I already love the game.

Wow, I had it preordered on Amazon since it went up as well but mine will be here today. I guess they ran out of copies before even preorders were filled?
I am not sure to be happy that Amazon actually sold out their DQ7 stocks or sad about them not fulfilling my order. Do hope that people will buy this game.

Have emailed them, hope I don't have to wait till next year to play this..

SuperSah

Banned
Feels surreal to actually have a physical copy on my desk. I never thought this day would come. :D

PS - Anyone in the EU have a spare theme? I am willing to pay of you want!

PSFan

Feels surreal to actually have a physical copy on my desk. I never thought this day would come. :D

PS - Anyone in the EU have a spare theme? I am willing to pay of you want!

By the way, is the theme only for the digital version or does physical version get it as well?

EricB

I am not sure to be happy that Amazon actually sold out their DQ7 stocks or sad about them not fulfilling my order. Do hope that people will buy this game.

Have emailed them, hope I don't have to wait till next year to play this..

My physical copy from Amazon just went out a few minutes ago despite the web page saying it was out of stock. It could be that they just haven't updated your order yet.

scamander

Banned
By the way, is the theme only for the digital version or does physical version get it as well?

Unless Nintendo made a deal with some retailer in your country (they would advertise this), it's only available if you buy the game directly from the eShop. Not even download codes from other retailers will get you the theme.

My physical copy from Amazon just went out a few minutes ago despite the web page saying it was out of stock. It could be that they just haven't updated your order yet.
I Hope so since my order just changed my delivery time to Not yet shipped.
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Umm at least it's not 2017 now?

Amazon UK lifting the price back up to £35, after previously matching Base.com at £28. Make sure you shop around if you're picking it up today.

Seil

So, Monster munchies: "Just carrying these tasty treats seems to have some kind of effect..." Does being in the Bag count or do they need to be in the character inventory? Because it's kind of ambiguous to me and I dunno what the success rate is to begin with so right now I'm just playing it safe in the inventory, but it's yet another thing that gets dumped into the bag whenever Organize Items is used lol.

magnetic

Man, the saving at the church really is such a nonissue, it's unbelievable people wrote an article specifically about it that resulted in a multiple page thread.

I know people love turning the pettiest shit into an issue, but that one was really sad to see.

The combined energy spent by reading, writing and getting worked up about it is a magnitude bigger waste of time than a handful of quick text boxes, especially given that DQ isn't a game where you need to save every five minutes.

Karu

Man, the saving at the church really is such a nonissue, it's unbelievable people wrote an article specifically about it that resulted in a multiple page thread.

I know people love turning the pettiest shit into an issue, but that one was really sad to see.

The combined energy spent by reading, writing and getting worked up about it is a magnitude bigger waste of time than a handful of quick text boxes.
Yes, rather irritating in hindsight. There is not even a time issue in regards to the actual process of saving and loading. Eh.

Amazon got back to me and it's confirmed to be delayed because ** Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - Nintendo 3DS **has proven to be a very popular item. We have many customer orders for this item, and we've just begun to receive copies from our suppliers. We're filling orders as quickly as we can on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guess I can wait for another week. Really hope that the game is selling well.

magnetic

If the game had bigger sprites that had more emotion, like Final Fantasy Tactics' or Suikoden II's, no one would have cared about DQ7's graphics. Instead, we play as an obese green dude. UGH!!!

Never mind the lack of enemy battle animations.

Yeah, that sprite really is brutal.

Especially since the hero in DQ has such a fantastic design. That little hat! Those shoes! He's incredibly adorable, almost a bit girlish. Easily my favorite DQ MC design, costume wise.

And great enemy animations are a big part of me being able to get into the series in the first place - the ones in the DS remakes were very expressive, and those polygonal ones here are at least as good.

Karu

Amazon got back to me and it's confirmed to be delayed because ** Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - Nintendo 3DS **has proven to be a very popular item. We have many customer orders for this item, and we've just begun to receive copies from our suppliers. We're filling orders as quickly as we can on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guess I can wait for another week. Really hope that the game is selling well.
My immediate reaction is "They had probably 4 whole copies." :D
But nah, apart from your personal problem of course, sounds promising in reagrds to sales...

Andyliini

My copy is waiting for pickup, I'm getting it when I finish work today. Though I'm not getting to play it immediately, as I have other game in progress for 3DS, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the initial sales show good promise, and the game sells beyond expectations.

How much did the game sell in Japan, BTW?

scamander

Banned
I'm literally five Minutes into the game and I already encountered the first spelling error in the German version. Pretty unusual for Nintendo-published games (unless Squeenix handled localisation themselves). Maybe I'll continue with the English version, even though I'll probably won't understand every accent perfectly well.

Andyliini

I'm literally five Minutes into the game and I already encountered the first spelling error in the German version. Pretty unusual for Nintendo-published games (unless Squeenix handled localisation themselves). Maybe I'll continue with the English version, even though I'll probably won't understand every accent perfectly well.

As far as I know, Square-Enix handles localization of their games themselves (well, outsourced, but self-funded). Probably so they can use it easily on a different machine in the future.

aravuus

What the fuck, didn't get my copy. It arrived in the nearby post office two days ago and it's been waiting there for delivery ever since, what the hell are those guys doing over there? No Cold Steel 2 either.

The Finnish postal service is such shit sometimes. Slowly but surely starting to lean towards going all-digital with games, but in the mean time I guess I'll play Bioshock.

e: Or maybe I'll download the digital version and sell my retail copy when it arrives. How big is the game in blooccckkksss?

e2:
ah

Not sure if it has already been posted but it's 11,632 blocks in the eShop for those who are wondering.

thanks. Looks like I've got enough available space even with Stella Glow still installed. I'll wait an hour or two to see if the game arrives with a later mail man for whatever reason and if not, I'll just buy the game digitally.

SilentRob

I'm 6 hours in and just reached the
present? future? version of the
Volcano village.

I'm having fun but by this time I was more invested in DQ6 and DQ3. Seems like this will be a slow burner. Things that I dislike: don't make me go back and forth constantly in the hub island (thank god no enemies) and long ass dungeons (the last one felt very long to me even though I think I was more because of the backtracking).

I'm in the same boat right now and exactly where you are (took me 6h40m though because I didn't know what to do and ran around aimlessly once or twice). It's charming and the music is great but the fighting system especially is incredibly dull and boring so far.

Also: That font and those menus D: Oh my god. This has one of the worst-looking, most clumsy, unintuitive menu structures I have ever seen in a JRPG, especially one that was released as late as 2012. That type of stuff is exactly what a Remake should clean up imo :/

kromeo

What the fuck, didn't get my copy. It arrived in the nearby post office two days ago and it's been waiting there for delivery ever since, what the hell are those guys doing over there? No Cold Steel 2 either.

The Finnish postal service is such shit sometimes. Slowly but surely starting to lean towards going all-digital with games, but in the mean time I guess I'll play Bioshock.

e: Or maybe I'll download the digital version and sell my retail copy when it arrives. How big is the game in blooccckkksss?

e2:
ah

thanks. Looks like I've got enough available space even with Stella Glow still installed. I'll wait an hour or two to see if the game arrives with a later mail man for whatever reason and if not, I'll just buy the game digitally.

My n3ds is full with 2 games on it lol, refuse to go digital with that

Top Bottom