• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Deleting a file to change looks O_O

The Luminary job has a skill called Extreme Makeover, I haven't tried it but could it be a way to change appearances?

Socreges

Banned
Serenade said:
After 117 hours, I've erased my game. I'm so vain. I only did it so I could change my hair and eye color
tired.gif
oh wow

Taichu

There's not really that many hairstyles and colors to choose from. :lol

This game is pure addiction though. Just bought the
maid
outfit for my priest! Trying to catch up on some quests before I go into the last area (which I'm assuming is
the Gittish Empire
).

Woo-Fu

Banned
Johnas said:
I was reading about the treasure maps and how that all works though, and getting the rarest of the rare drops sounds ridiculously complex.

Not really complex so much as time-consuming. There are some complex ways of increasing your odds, though. :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
No, I still will. It's excessively poor game design.

You don't need any of it to get through the main storyline. Alchemy experimentation is a staple when it comes to Level 5 games.

You call it bad game design, I call it something interesting to work on after the main story is complete.

Koomaster

ExtraKr1spy said:
Deleting a file to change looks O_O

The Luminary job has a skill called Extreme Makeover, I haven't tried it but could it be a way to change appearances?
I could see doing it if you were real early in the game, but 117 hours. Wowzers!

Also, all extreme makeover does is when you use it in battle, your charm stat goes way up, so you have more of a chance of enthralling enemies, making them lose their turn.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man I wish I had that much free time to waste. I'd probably build a summer home out of matchsticks.

edit: just thiefed some orichalcum from a MKS \o/

Oxx

Koomaster said:
Do not listen to those guys, you DO go back to level 1, but all your base stats remain in tact. So my +HP skills I earned as a paladin are there, but she went from ~700HP down to ~100HP. Normally paladins start off ~30HP at level 1.

When you revocate, your person goes from level 99 all the way back to level 1 in their job. You also lose any spells your character learned. Like my sage, when she went to level 1, all her spells were gone. As she is leveling back up she is learning them all over again.

Koomaster said:
Don't know what you mean by 'stays the same'. Are you talking about all the other jobs you can do, they remain in whatever level you left them in. The one you got to level 99 and revocated is the only one that goes back to level 1.

Chairhome said:
I think people are confused. They think revocate means to change your job. You are talking about the reset at lvl 99 and they are talking about simply changing vocations

I see. Apologies.

Shoogoo

*sigh* I seem to be stuck on almost every class quest thing.

This time it's for the gladiator. I have my gf using egg on on me, and myself using psyche up to have a maximal tension in 2 turns. Then I use dragon slash on a king slime (mostly because a lot of them slimes run away in combat). I tried twice but it didnt count. What am I doing wrong?

Wichu

Shoogoo said:

This time it's for the gladiator. I have my gf using egg on on me, and myself using psyche up to have a maximal tension in 2 turns. Then I use dragon slash on a king slime (mostly because a lot of them slimes run away in combat). I tried twice but it didnt count. What am I doing wrong?
You need to do it on a normal slime, not a king slime. Takes a while, but you'll get it eventually. I think using War Cry might help stop them running away.

Shoogoo

Wichu said:
You need to do it on a normal slime, not a king slime. Takes a while, but you'll get it eventually. I think using War Cry might help stop them running away.

Thanks. I'll try to use coagulant on a low level one.

Shoogoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
What I did was put the little shits to sleep using Snooze.

Snooze doesn't always work does it? Coagulant on slimes is pretty efficient.

Got it, thanks for the help everyone :)

Shoogoo said:
Snooze doesn't always work does it? Coagulant on slimes is pretty efficient.

Got it, thanks for the help everyone :)
I found Snooze worked every time on the slimes, probably because the relative levels were so different.

Shoogoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
I found Snooze worked every time on the slimes, probably because the relative levels were so different.

Oh I see! I wonder if the same logic applies to half-inch. Any idea?

Cheerilee

Shoogoo said:
Oh I see! I wonder if the same logic applies to half-inch. Any idea?
You have a "deftness" stat which is basically luck and affects stealing and drops. Earlier in the game, the game designers know your deftness stat won't be so big, so early monsters are made to give up items easier to compensate. Try to wear gloves that increase your deftness instead of gauntlets which increase your defense.

Snooze most likely works with your "magical might" stat, maybe with some deftness mixed in. When these stats get bigger, it's only logical that your techniques will work better.

Edit: I think in most RPGs, single use magical items don't base their strength on your magic strength, they have their own set strength, which might be why coagulants seemed to work better for you.

Chairhome

Shoogoo said:

One other thing you can try is to change classes so you're a lower level so they won't run away as quickly.

zigg

Chairhome said:
I think people are confused. They think revocate means to change your job. You are talking about the reset at lvl 99 and they are talking about simply changing vocations

Heh, yes, this is exactly what I thought. That right there cleared up a lot of personal confusion.

It doesn't help that "revocated" sounds like DQ punnery: redoing... changing... your vocation. Though I guess re-doing a vocation makes more sense.

Now I know, and I learned a new word today too!

(I doubt I will ever revocate.)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Enemies are starting to carry some good shit to jank with Half-Inch.

A few choice robberies and I've got ten, twenty thousand gold worth of stuff to sell.

Decided to finish the main game and did that today, kind of annoyed that I need a bunch of stupid rare items to make stupid set of gear to summon a weakling boss just to get a whistle...

Princess Skittles said:
Does anybody have one of the cute blue shirts they gave out at the GameStop meetup in Small or Medium that they don't want?

I'm willing to buy one.

Best Buy Nintendo rep said they were only giving away the shirts to the first 10 who purchased the game that same day. :/

You could always find a huge picture of the slime and make your own :lol

http://www.zazzle.com/

Quality of the shirt is ok. Its a heavy cotton they use so it feels kinda stiff, especially after a wash, prefer my shirts to feel a bit softer thought.

126 hours in and I think I'm finally burnt out. Got my mage to 99 so switched him to a sage but he does nowhere near as much damage and doesn't have oomph. Might go ahead and finish DQ4 before looking for a copy of DQ5.
Patty
as a gladiator isn't really working for me. Can take a lot of damage but I'm doing less damage overall each turn.

Koomaster

zigg said:
Heh, yes, this is exactly what I thought. That right there cleared up a lot of personal confusion.

It doesn't help that "revocated" sounds like DQ punnery: redoing... changing... your vocation. Though I guess re-doing a vocation makes more sense.

Now I know, and I learned a new word today too!

(I doubt I will ever revocate.)
~_____~;; Yeah, my bad as well, thought you guys were talking about revocating within the same job. That is quite confusing.

Speaking of, my hero is back up to 99, but I am not sure I am going to revocate her again right away, but will eventually to get better and better quality maps. My other 8 girls; one revocation and that's it... probably.

Maybe I'm just a little obsessed with the game. ^___^;;

Post game dlc quest spoiler
Don't know what I'm going to do with Patty, maybe if there is any job left over that I haven't revocated I'll take her through that. Kinda strange that the game is giving you party members with backgrounds AFTER the story is already over. As opposed to meeting them and them joining you along the way like normal DQ games.

Chairhome

Princess Skittles said:
The Best Buy shirts were different!
Good luck finding small or medium though. Anytime I've seen video game promo shirts, they were always L or bigger. I have the party slime one in Large.

Just wanted some advice about what level range is comfortable to fight the final boss. I'm in the last area, and my characters range in levels from 39-42 (except for my new Sage, who is catching up at about 28). If I catch my Sage up, am I ok?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dechaios said:
No dude, you have serious problems. What an incredible waste of time.. as if video games didn't waste enough to begin with.

what's worse? Erasing all that time spent, or thinking it actually meant something?

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Just wanted some advice about what level range is comfortable to fight the final boss. I'm in the last area, and my characters range in levels from 39-42 (except for my new Sage, who is catching up at about 28). If I catch my Sage up, am I ok?

If you got through the previous dungeons boss
King Godwyn 1 and 2
at those levels then you'll probably be fine. Another level or 2 to be safe.

zigg

Chairhome said:
Good luck finding small or medium though. Anytime I've seen video game promo shirts, they were always L or bigger. I have the party slime one in Large.

We had smalls and larges; they were totally free and clear thanks to our awesome rep, but the smalls were long gone before I was able to nab one for my daughter. (I'm an XL, can't really fit the large. I was amused at the exclusively large Zelda shirts being handed out at E3...)

Just got to a place where I can change vocations and would like to get Gladiator class (quest 103) but with current party it is impossible (Minstrel, Mage, Priest, Thief)
How did you guys do it?
And what to do after Abbey?

And damn when will I get my first treasure map :(

Melhisedek said:
Just got to a place where I can change vocations and would like to get Gladiator class (quest 103) but with current party it is impossible (Minstrel, Mage, Priest, Thief)
How did you guys do it?
It was discussed a little ways up, but you should switch one or two or your party members to Martial Artist. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it makes it easier. Basically, in one turn in a battle against a slime you'll want your Minstrel using Egg On on one of your Martial Artists, that same Martial Artist using Psyche Up, the other Martial Artist using War Cry, and your fourth party member can just defend. Alternatively you could just use Egg On and try having your Priest use Snooze on the slime, but that would probably take longer.

And what to do after Abbey?
There's a town to the southwest of Alltrades Abbey.

And damn when will I get my first treasure map :(
At Zere Rocks, which is about ~5 hours after where you are now.

I have problem beating that
Manbearpig at Gortress
. I don't have any strong healing items for my gladiator besides Miracle Slash. :(

Edit: Oh wait I can get my other party members back? Not so tough after all. :lol

Misterinenja said:
I have problem beating that
Manbearpig at Gortress
. I don't have any strong healing items for my gladiator besides Miracle Slash. :(

Edit: Oh wait I can get my other party members back? Not so tough after all. :lol

Your friend in that area flat out tells you to head to Stornway and get your party members back. It's a two paragraph+ warning. :lol

Koomaster

lordoftherink said:
It was discussed a little ways up, but you should switch one or two or your party members to Martial Artist. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it makes it easier. Basically, in one turn in a battle against a slime you'll want your Minstrel using Egg On on one of your Martial Artists, that same Martial Artist using Psyche Up, the other Martial Artist using War Cry, and your fourth party member can just defend. Alternatively you could just use Egg On and try having your Priest use Snooze on the slime, but that would probably take longer.
Martial artists can't equip swords can they; unless you have 100 points in swords already from another job.

If you have to have Gladiator right now, there are slimes in front of Alltrades that you can go after. Just switch someone to a warrior, and put 3 skill points into swords to get dragon slash.

Put the slimes to sleep, or otherwise make sure they don't keep calling for backup. Once there are 3 of them, they'll form that slime stack.

If you can wait for the Gladiator quest a while, I found the slimes outside of Bloomingdale (which is a few towns away from Alltrades) to be much more accommodating. They don't mesh together till there are 8 on screen at once.

Crazymoogle said:
Your friend in that area flat out tells you to head to Stornway and get your party members back. It's a two paragraph+ warning. :lol

I was listening to Bombcast while playing that part so I wasn't really paying attention. :lol

Had to pause it for the epic animation bit earlier though.

I'm probably done with RPG's where you have to combine things to make some of the better stuff, which seems to be crucial for post-game meanderings. Just not a fan of "in order to get this material you have to make this other material and to get that material you have to combine these other materials which are rare drops and then when you get all those materials you have to make this helmet which you have to combine with what you just made but to make the helmet you have to get 5 of these things which can only be made from..." etc. Way too much shit to go through to get something.

Then again, perhaps I still haven't recovered from FFXII. This was too soon :lol

botticus

brandonh83 said:
I'm probably done with RPG's where you have to combine things to make some of the better stuff, which seems to be crucial for post-game meanderings. Just not a fan of "in order to get this material you have to make this other material and to get that material you have to combine these other materials which are rare drops and then when you get all those materials you have to make this helmet which you have to combine with what you just made but to make the helmet you have to get 5 of these things which can only be made from..." etc. Way too much shit to go through to get something.

Then again, perhaps I still haven't recovered from FFXII. This was too soon :lol
I haven't significantly upgraded my armor in.... almost 100 hours (since I beat the game). I've gotten a few things that are marginally better than the storyline gear, but that's about it. Most of the my new equipment is just better-looking stuff than I used to have, sometimes with worse stats. :lol Though I'm mostly just going for almost-completion at this point. Not bothering with the alchemy that requires < 1% drops unless I stumble into them. Anything above that is easy enough to steal, though.

botticus said:
I haven't significantly upgraded my armor in.... almost 100 hours (since I beat the game). I've gotten a few things that are marginally better than the storyline gear, but that's about it. Most of the my new equipment is just better-looking stuff than I used to have, sometimes with worse stats. :lol Though I'm mostly just going for almost-completion at this point. Not bothering with the alchemy that requires < 1% drops unless I stumble into them. Anything above that is easy enough to steal.

That's good to know. Again I just think FFXII burned me out bad on this sort of thing.

Koomaster said:
Martial artists can't equip swords can they; unless you have 100 points in swords already from another job.
Oh right, I forgot that. I think that War Cry/Psyche Up carry over to other jobs...I definitely remember using Psyche Up followed by Dragon Slash, so I learned those Martial Artist skills and then switched to either Warrior or Thief.

If you have to have Gladiator right now, there are slimes in front of Alltrades that you can go after. Just switch someone to a warrior, and put 3 skill points into swords to get dragon slash.
I just used the slimes in front of Angel Falls, don't have to worry about them forming anything.

rpmurphy

FYI guys, for those of you who are planning to go to an upcoming Simon Malls event, check with your mall for the exact date instead of relying on that list being circulated on teh webs. I just found out that the Gurnee Mills, IL one that was said to be holding the Project Style event (of which DQ is taking part in) this upcoming Saturday according to that list was actually held last weekend. I suspect I am screwed out of the other Chicago event too because of this oversight. :mad:

Edgeward

Crazymoogle said:

I didn't pay attention and just brute forced through that part. Died quite a couple times though, but miracle sword + falcon slash saved my behind to finally take down the boss. :lol

Instro

Echoes said:
Thanks! I'm currently training my Sage (a former Lv45 Mage) for the final boss.

So I wonder, how much EXP a King Metal Slime gives?

120K, so about 30k each. They can only be found in one post game area and are pretty rare. The only viable way to farm them is to have one of those nice treasure maps.

You can do Liquid Metal Slimes though, they offer a good amount of exp, should do you to get to level 40 pretty easily.

Echoes said:
Thanks! I'm currently training my Sage (a former Lv45 Mage) for the final boss.

So I wonder, how much EXP a King Metal Slime gives?

In general, what are you doing to level up? By that obviously I mean where, what kind of enemies are you fighting, etc. Just trying to see what other people are doing, I'm raising a Paladin right now, getting up there, around level 15 right now iirc.

Echoes

brandonh83 said:
In general, what are you doing to level up? By that obviously I mean where, what kind of enemies are you fighting, etc. Just trying to see what other people are doing, I'm raising a Paladin right now, getting up there, around level 15 right now iirc.
Grinding LM Slimes in The Bowhole (the dungeon near Wormwood Creek). The best way I've found to level up.

Top Bottom