• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Wichu

Princess Skittles said:
So are you supposed to just guess (which is impossible) on certain things for alchemy? Specifically, quests.

I've got a few quests clogging my list up that I don't have recipes for.
Use a recipe guide; there's plenty on the internet.

Johnas

Wichu said:
Use a recipe guide; there's plenty on the internet.

Yeah, but I think she's asking if there's a reasonable chance a player can accomplish it on their own without resorting to that. I was wondering the same thing.

Princess Skittles said:
So are you supposed to just guess (which is impossible) on certain things for alchemy? Specifically, quests.

Some of the alchemy quests you can find the recipe if you search bookshelves but for some I just checked online especially since some items need ingredients that you have to create also.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Johnas said:
Yeah, but I think she's asking if there's a reasonable chance a player can accomplish it on their own without resorting to that. I was wondering the same thing.
Yup, I don't want to use books to play my games for me.

Princess Skittles said:

You'll find recipes for most quest items sooner or later. Some of them are in the fully upgraded Inn, though.

Chairhome

rpmurphy said:
I don't recall any quest item that you can't find the recipe for in a bookcase somewhere.
I think she just means that she hasn't found it yet. Case in point: I didn't get the birdsong nectar recipe until way later in the game after being asked to provide it in a quest. Just write down or make a mental note of the quest, and dismiss it until you get what you need. Then you can initiate the quest once again then immediately transgress
with finesse

Woo-Fu

Banned
Almost everything has a recipe book out there somewhere, the major exception being the metal slime series and the ultimate weapons.

By the time(more like IF) you get to those I doubt you'll have any qualms about looking the recipes up online.

I got the Angel's Bow yesterday. :)

Johnas

I just got my first rare drops from a treasure map, and when I did I got the 10% drop and the 2% drop at the same time.

Is that normal? My loading screen had blue, red, blue so I guess my luck has increased some.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any negative result for canceling a quest? I'm under the impression I can just go back to the NPC later and restart it. I just have a bad habit of accepting every quest as soon as it's offered.

DarthWoo said:
Is there any negative result for canceling a quest? I'm under the impression I can just go back to the NPC later and restart it. I just have a bad habit of accepting every quest as soon as it's offered.

No, but if you've made any progress it gets reset.

Johnas

How many treasure maps are there anyway?

I know there are a lot given the amount of time people seem to spend playing this game.

Koomaster

Koomaster said:
Using the metal king slime map, got two of my characters up to Level 99 today! :D

WarriorSage99.jpg

Went ahead and revocated them both, but I don't think I will be facing any more Metal King Slimes for a while. Maybe start them off low on some of the baby metal slimes first.
ThiefPala99.jpg

That's four revocated characters now as I just revocated my paladin back to level 1 today. But I don't know what I'm going to do without my paladin's forbearance abilities. At level 99 she had ~700HP and could weather attacks for several turns. Now she's back to just over 100HP, I'm going to have to protect her for a while. :lol

Other characters levels
Warrior - 59
Sage - 54
Thief - 33

Oxx

Need more nectar. I've looked in all the spots on the map. Now I have to try and half-inch it from some Pink Sanguinis.

Edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

After all that trouble there were 3 nectars on DQVC.

zurra

another anal ravaging from equinox here... was feeling fairly overpowered for all of the game so far so i went in with my usual gung-ho strategy. he debuffed the crap out of me but wasn't doing too much damage, then blew up my entire team with two AOEs in one turn. :lol

playing a lot more carefully on bosses now, managed to take him down the second go but it was about to get ugly in another turn or two.

i really don't see the point to the treasure maps beyond grinding and the challenge, with the loot being a huge gamble...

MrPliskin said:
If you revocate, does the old job go back to lvl1?
Nope, it should not. I haven't tried it thou :p

Pro tip: if you wanna make a paladin healer, for fucks sake, select god damn faith as the priest skill, the spear can wait

Lyude77

MrPliskin said:
No, it stays the same, and you keep the abilities you had before. One of the advantages of job changing is that it can be temporary, like if you just wanted to level a thief to get half-inch (steal) or AGI boosts, etc.

Meier

I used two auto characters and don't really care for their appearances or names.. is any of that changeable at a later date? I'd hate to just recruit new people and start from scratch level wise.. I'll just deal with it if need be but just curious. Thanks.

zigg

Meier said:
I used two auto characters and don't really care for their appearances or names.. is any of that changeable at a later date? I'd hate to just recruit new people and start from scratch level wise.. I'll just deal with it if need be but just curious. Thanks.

Nope, names and appearances are fixed unless you make new characters or—if you hate your main—start over.

Meier

zigg said:
Nope, names and appearances are fixed unless you make new characters or—if you hate your main—start over.
Bummer. My two generic ones have pink hair along with the female I created and the Monk has these goofball eyes to boot. :lol

Thirty-one hours in, I've been spending time doing quests for the last little while, but went back to the main story. This game is really flapping good.

Story spoilers
My hard earned fyggs :(

Going to resist upgrading up all the skills to do the quests in Swinedimples and continue with the plot for now. Stella kept telling me I was taking too long.

matmanx1 said:
Holy cow! My priest is also named "Kallen" and looks identical to yours! Code Geass fan? :D

lol you know it bro (^^). the other two are also anime characters (one from durarara and the other from gundam 00)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well I guess I'm near the end

Man Zenus was a dick. I figured Yggdrasil would be a deity of sorts. I got through the castle and witnessed the part where Aquila gets shocked like Darth Vader. My priest was dead so I evac'd out of there before facing the king. Did I miss the sage bookcase in the castle somewhere? I thought it was supposed to be there but I didn't see it.

Is the alchemy completion rate based on the items you have actually made as well? It sucks that the alcheminicon doesn't just register items you have so you don't have to make them just so they appear.

It looks like I might get an Acekard2i or Super Card DS TWO just so I can get the masayuki & kawasaki maps / full hotel for me and a friend.

Koomaster

MrPliskin said:
Do not listen to those guys, you DO go back to level 1, but all your base stats remain in tact. So my +HP skills I earned as a paladin are there, but she went from ~700HP down to ~100HP. Normally paladins start off ~30HP at level 1.

When you revocate, your person goes from level 99 all the way back to level 1 in their job. You also lose any spells your character learned. Like my sage, when she went to level 1, all her spells were gone. As she is leveling back up she is learning them all over again.

Koomaster

Trojita said:
Well I guess I'm near the end

Man Zenus was a dick. I figured Yggdrasil would be a deity of sorts. I got through the castle and witnessed the part where Aquila gets shocked like Darth Vader. My priest was dead so I evac'd out of there before facing the king. Did I miss the sage bookcase in the castle somewhere? I thought it was supposed to be there but I didn't see it.
You are talking about Gittingham Palace? If so when you enter the front door, take the pathway to the right, just keep following it till you see some stairs going up. On the next floor in front of the stairs is the bookcase that gives the Sage quest.

Koomaster

Oxx said:
The old job stays the same when you go back to it, though.
Don't know what you mean by 'stays the same'. Are you talking about all the other jobs you can do, they remain in whatever level you left them in. The one you got to level 99 and revocated is the only one that goes back to level 1.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Koomaster said:
You are talking about Gittingham Palace? If so when you enter the front door, take the pathway to the right, just keep following it till you see some stairs going up. On the next floor in front of the stairs is the bookcase that gives the Sage quest.

Thanks for the help! I found it.

carlo6529

Meier said:
I did this myself. The boss of Zere Rocks was certainly much easier when I did fight him, hah.

In the first treasure map dungeon now..how many levels do they typically last? My party is a Gladiator (Minstrel), Priest (Minstrel), Mage (Priest) and Monk (Warrior). I will make the Monk a Rogue next to help open Rangers and my hero a Paladin whenever I can unlock it.

Edit: Yikes, Equinox hits like a truck!

I soloed him sadly; had to grind a few levels though. That is when I found the game spiked in difficulty.

Otheradam

Anyone go to the unofficial meet up at the Nintendo World store in NYC today? People have been meeting up there every Tuesday. I went today and got my inn from 0-30 in like half an hour, plus picked up some legacy maps, that high lvl Japanese map and some other high level maps. Pretty cool.

Chairhome

Koomaster said:
Don't know what you mean by 'stays the same'. Are you talking about all the other jobs you can do, they remain in whatever level you left them in. The one you got to level 99 and revocated is the only one that goes back to level 1.
I think people are confused. They think revocate means to change your job. You are talking about the reset at lvl 99 and they are talking about simply changing vocations

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Went to the mall earlier and kept my DS in my pocket canvassing on a lark. I ended up getting 2 hits, and one of them came with a silver marsh of bane lvl 58 map.

To say I'm surprised is an understatement. Thought I was wasting my time and wouldn't even get any tags, but I ended up with 2 tags and one of the best grottos in the game.

carlo6529

I'm stuck in Wormwood and need some help. Not sure what to do, I'm starting to think the game is bugged. Has anyone been in this situation?

I made it to wormwood before batsurg and swinedemples. I explored and got a cutscene of Wallace in town. I also found the Lucida Shard up north but that was all I could do so I left the area and completed batsurg and swinedemples.

Once I completed those two areas, I went back to Wormwood creek. I read somewhere I have to talk to Serena up north where I found the shard but she is nowhere to be scene. The old lady in the church won't move out of the way of the gravestone. I've also examined the statue near the weapon shop but it does nothing. Finally, the bald old man won't talk to me and says"na nanaaaaa na..." while he is in the church.

I'm really stuck and am starting to think I bugged the game by getting the shard to early in the game.

DarkKyo

Serenade said:
They should have put some hair dye and a barber in this game so people like me can make not-bad choices.
No dude, you have serious problems. What an incredible waste of time.. as if video games didn't waste enough to begin with.

rpmurphy

carlo6529 said:
I'm stuck in Wormwood and need some help. Not sure what to do, I'm starting to think the game is bugged. Has anyone been in this situation?

I made it to wormwood before batsurg and swinedemples. I explored and got a cutscene of Wallace in town. I also found the Lucida Shard up north but that was all I could do so I left the area and completed batsurg and swinedemples.

Once I completed those two areas, I went back to Wormwood creek. I read somewhere I have to talk to Serena up north where I found the shard but she is nowhere to be scene. The old lady in the church won't move out of the way of the gravestone. I've also examined the statue near the weapon shop but it does nothing. Finally, the bald old man won't talk to me and says"na nanaaaaa na..." while he is in the church.

I'm really stuck and am starting to think I bugged the game by getting the shard to early in the game.
You're supposed to find all the fyggs first. You'll end up in Wormwood later in the story.

Johnas

I have to say I was pretty lukewarm on the whole quest thing at the beginning, but it's really grown on me at this point. I know I can tackle the endgame at this point with no problem (levels in the early 40s) but I just keep doing one more quest.

I was reading about the treasure maps and how that all works though, and getting the rarest of the rare drops sounds ridiculously complex.

Top Bottom