• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man, this game is just ridiculous with the puns. I just this minute got the
Jack of Alltrades / Master of Nu'un
pun :lol :lol

Oxx

Man, I think I'm officially done with the Bowhole. I can't take anymore.

lv 41 Gold Lair of Woe, here I come!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jedeye Sniv said:

There are a few I was trying to figure out...

Swinedimples Academy
Batsureg (and the name of the elder's family)

So I just got the
bow and arrow, and have to head over the canyon
... it seems like I'm probably a good 3/4 of the way through the game? Am I correct in assuming? I'm at 30h on the clock now.

BitchTits

I can't believe I had to use a FAQ to find out how to find the
pet lizard
- is there a clue anywhere or villager who would've told me what to do, besides
the info that he would be in the shade
- I'd never have guessed how to find him! (cute lizard though! :D )

BitchTits said:
I can't believe I had to use a FAQ to find out how to find the
pet lizard
- is there a clue anywhere or villager who would've told me what to do, besides
the info that he would be in the shade
- I'd never have guessed how to find him! (cute lizard though! :D )

Somebody says he hates loud noises or something like that. Besides one other time I don't think I used any of the party tricks.

Kind of wish they were implemented a little more into puzzles/quests and such. Because when you finish a quest and they're like "YOU LEARNED A NEW PARTY TRICK" I usually answer with "I DON'T CARE".

And when should I start seeing Legacy Boss Maps drop? My highest is level 50, do I have to complete a certain amount before I get these randomly or are they from something different?

rpmurphy

Legacy boss maps are gained from tag events, DLC quests, or from map sharing. There should be one quest available so far that gives you a legacy boss (
Baramos
) map.

rpmurphy said:
Legacy boss maps are gained from tag events, DLC quests, or from map sharing. There should be one quest available so far that gives you a legacy boss (
Baramos
) map.

Cool, I'll look around for the quest ... sadly, no Tag Events happen around my area so can't really canvass or map share =(

Oxx

I think I did something like 4 grottoes yesterday. And they all looked exactly the same.

At least I got a cool-sounding one out of it right at the end. Or at least I think it sounds cool. In that it sounds better than the ones I had been getting. And it's a good 15 levels higher than my previous highest level map.

zigg

Jedeye Sniv said:

How long did it take you to get Angel Falls?

(over halfway into the game for me)

It was probably because it was just so blindingly obvious, heh.

rpmurphy

flyinpiranha said:
Cool, I'll look around for the quest ... sadly, no Tag Events happen around my area so can't really canvass or map share =(
Actually I forgot, there is one legacy boss map that can be a rare grotto boss drop, but that grotto boss requires a high quality map. A bunch of other legacy boss maps can be dropped by other legacy bosses, so just getting one and leveling them up will net you multiple.

Larsen B

zigg said:
How long did it take you to get Angel Falls?

(over halfway into the game for me)

It was probably because it was just so blindingly obvious, heh.

I'm about 60 hours in and only got Djust Desert yesterday.

Oxx said:
What do I do with the
rusty
equipment?

They alchemy to better stuff. However, I've yet to find the recipes in-game for them yet. I looked up the one for the
sword
because it was obvious that I wasn't supposed to use it, but don't remember the recipe now (assume it'd be in-game at some point).

Forkball

I think a lot of the alchemy recipes for higher level stuff isn't unlocked until you get enough tags. Thanks, Square-Enix!

Anyways, I haven't played this game in a while, but I plan to pick it up again and I will actively try to get some tags. If I get one, it will be a miracle.

flyinpiranha said:
Kind of wish they were implemented a little more into puzzles/quests and such. Because when you finish a quest and they're like "YOU LEARNED A NEW PARTY TRICK" I usually answer with "I DON'T CARE".

Yeah, I'm confused about that. I learned two party tricks in quests? and I'm supposed to spread them somehow, but no one seems to care about them.

Oxx

Forkball said:
I think a lot of the alchemy recipes for higher level stuff isn't unlocked until you get enough tags. Thanks, Square-Enix!

Anyways, I haven't played this game in a while, but I plan to pick it up again and I will actively try to get some tags. If I get one, it will be a miracle.

Yeah, that really sucks.

There are still loads of ??????????????????? in the alchemy list and I'm sure there can't be that many bookcases in the world that I have missed.

Edit: Ewwww. Catoptric armour looks disappointingly shit.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Man, I beat the last boss on level 40 for everyone (my sage was only about 35), but I had totally poopsocked the job system in the bowhole, so everyone had great stats and loads of HP. I didn't find him particularly challenging by that point, I just had to keep hitting him. I think I overleveled by quite a long way by that point though.
First time I fought that last boss, he hit me with burning breath and instantly paralyzed everyone. 4 rounds later (My priest recovered, and was desperately trying to get the party back on their feet, but he had nothing to deal with paralysis at the time...) I was dead.

Oxx

Grottoes...
So addictive...
Must do more... and more... and more...

The last one was actually pretty hairy. Took me over 2 hours. Very low on MP by the time I reached the boss (who wasn't particularly challenging, to be fair).

At least I found my first Metal Kings.

gotee12

I've got a long work trip the second half of this week so on a lark I picked up DQ9 to help pass the time. Judging by this thread, that was quite a smart purchase...

Johnas

Oxx said:
Grottoes...
So addictive...

The last one was actually pretty hairy. Took me over 2 hours. Very low on MP by the time I reached the boss (who wasn't particularly challenging, to be fair).

I just finished one called Emerald Chasm of Doubt Lv. 78 (water grotto) that took me about two and a half hours to finish. It can be a little disappointing when you put so much time into one and don't get much as a reward, but yesterday I found a
Metal Slime Spear
in a grotto chest that made it all worthwhile. Also got a
Hero Spear
in a previous run, as well as quite a few astral plumes, lucida shards, etc.

I still haven't found one with a floor consisting only of metal enemies, but I figure one will turn up eventually.

Johnas

Aggrotek said:
Yea, so I decided to buy this tomorrow. Hope I can find it used.

Dude, buy it new. It's worth full price and then some. This series needs all the sales it can get in NA (assuming you're in NA).

Aggrotek

Johnas said:
Dude, buy it new. It's worth full price and then some. This series needs all the sales it can get in NA (assuming you're in NA).
I just don't have a lot of cash right now. I just graduated college and am unemployed. =[

Johnas

Aggrotek said:
I just don't have a lot of cash right now. I just graduated college and am unemployed. =[

Well, depending on where you buy it used you're probably only saving $5 or so. Sucks about your unemployment though.

I'm coming up on 166 hours on the clock with still loads and loads of stuff to do, so your money will definitely go a long way here, if you dive into the postgame.

Aggrotek

Johnas said:
Well, depending on where you buy it used you're probably only saving $5 or so. Sucks about your unemployment though.

I'm coming up on 166 hours on the clock with still loads and loads of stuff to do, so your money will definitely go a long way here, if you dive into the postgame.
Yea, the job market isn't amazing. :lol
We shall see though, either way I'm getting it tomorrow.

Aggrotek said:
Yea, the job market isn't amazing. :lol
We shall see though, either way I'm getting it tomorrow.
Buy the @gamer magazine at Best Buy for 5.99 and it has a $15 off coupon for DQ9. Still cheaper than used altogether, and you can support the series. BTW, the magazine's cover is Fallout New Vegas.

r4z4

This is my first DQ game and I am enjoying it alot so far. A question about the party system. Will other characters ever join my party or do I have to create them myself in Stornaway?

Gin

r4z4 said:
This is my first DQ game and I am enjoying it alot so far. A question about the party system. Will other characters ever join my party or do I have to create them myself in Stornaway?

im glad you are enjoying it - regarding characters.. you will have to create them.

however, post game - someone does offer to join with completion of a quest

hope that helps

STG

r4z4 said:
you must create them, no one will ever join

Gin

Oxx said:
Grottoes...
So addictive...

wear goddess ring + happy hat = mp problem solved.

also my sage knows paladin skills - i usually have him use m-pathy to give any character 50mp per turn (rarely necessary - but nice to have)

r4z4

Thanks guys. I'm level 15 so I guess I better grind up a Warrior and Priest! Any recommendations on what I should make?

Edit- I am currently a Minstrel

Oxx

Gin said:
wear goddess ring + happy hat = mp problem solved.

also my sage knows paladin skills - i usually have him use m-pathy to give any character 50mp per turn (rarely necessary - but nice to have)

Yeah, I should probably look into some of that.

I'm just glad that my Sage has so much MP at this point in the game.

I'm about to head to PAX in an hour or so. I have DQ9 on my DS- bought it yesterday and I've played it for an hour maybe. How does the wifi sharing with this game work? If I have my DS on me in sleep mode with the game on will it do its thing automatically, or do I have to activate/unlock something?

Whoompthereitis said:
I'm about to head to PAX in an hour or so. I have DQ9 on my DS- bought it yesterday and I've played it for an hour maybe. How does the wifi sharing with this game work? If I have my DS on me in sleep mode with the game on will it do its thing automatically, or do I have to activate/unlock something?
Inn in Stornway, which is pretty early in the game.

kai3345

Banned
Picked up this game again after a long hiatus. Just beat the big whale dude. Still had zero luck with Tag Mode, but meh, I guess the DLC is enough to make up for it.

I'm currently on the second floor of the tower to try and find the Alltrades Abbey guy.

Wilsongt

Weeeell, beat the main story. I almost was afraid I was going to lose the final battle after a dick move from the boss killed my Minstrel and Mage...

Risible

r4z4 said:
Thanks guys. I'm level 15 so I guess I better grind up a Warrior and Priest! Any recommendations on what I should make?

Edit- I am currently a Minstrel

I have Paladin, Monk, Cleric, Mage and love it. Great mix of skills and survivability. I don't know if it's the best mix, but it's served me well.

Gotta say, the game is awesome. What an amazing gaming deal - $40 or whatever I paid for it, and I've gotten at least 50 hours out of it already and still have many many more hours to get out of it. Tremendous value.

I just want to said, thank you to those of you that come to PAX with dragon quest. My inn is now nice and full, not to mention all the maps.

r4z4

Risible said:
I have Paladin, Monk, Cleric, Mage and love it. Great mix of skills and survivability. I don't know if it's the best mix, but it's served me well.

Gotta say, the game is awesome. What an amazing gaming deal - $40 or whatever I paid for it, and I've gotten at least 50 hours out of it already and still have many many more hours to get out of it. Tremendous value.

Yeh this game will last me a looong time.

I currently have a Minstrel (what I started with), Priest, Mage and Martial Artist. Will probably go the Sage route with my Priest and Mage. Question about the Martial Artist: should I put point in fisticuffs or a weapon?

zurra

Wilsongt said:
Egg On + Warrior with Falcon Slash + Oomph = Dead bosses. :lol
this seems to be the common way to go, but i really like the gladiator style of beatdown better. i have been crushing bosses in 1-2 shots, but it takes a little preparation. egg on/psyche up + fource buff + oomph + sap + double up + blind man's biff = DEATH. the paladin soaks up all the damage with forbearance while i get there. :D

dunno how it stacks up to falcon slash setups, but i just one-shot (close to endgame boss)
goreham-hogg
with a 4088 damage hit using the old axe from the weapon quest. forgot to use oomph, too...

Damn man. I just found out today that there's no way I can legitly get 100% without spending 1000s of hours in this game or resorting to cheating/using exploits like the hoimi table. This sucks.

Top Bottom