• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

There is a $15 off coupon in this months @gamer magazine, which I got as a free sample for one month. I am strongly considering buying a second copy, as I don't think I'll have it in me to delete my 140 hour save for replays :lol

Aggrotek

noquarter said:
Do you want an SRPG or a traditional JRPG with a lot a post game content and local multiplayer?

If you've already played Disgaea on another system I would go with DQIX for sure. If you've never played Disgaea and like stats and grinding go with it, but look for it on the cheap so you can buy DQIX soon.

Edit: Pretty sure the Paladin +1 means he used revocation on the Paladin (started over from level 1 after getting to 99)

I've played Disgaea before, but I loved it. Didn't even beat the game and I was level 100 or so, but I have been itching for a fresh traditional RPG for a while now.

I don't have the capability for WiFi though, so I don't know if DQ9 is worth it if I can't do multiplayer.

Aggrotek said:
I've played Disgaea before, but I loved it. Didn't even beat the game and I was level 100 or so, but I have been itching for a fresh traditional RPG for a while now.

I don't have the capability for WiFi though, so I don't know if DQ9 is worth it if I can't do multiplayer.

It's easily worth it even if you don't do the multiplayer. I have over 100 hours and only about 7 hours of MP.

The post-game is more enjoyable with a friend but the single player is awesome.

EDIT: Plus the multiplayer doesn't use WiFi. And you could just go to a Starbucks or something with free WiFi and probably DL the quests. The only thing you're missing out on daily is the storefront that has 8 random items for sale.

zurra

man, i love stella :lol :lol :lol

"i had a quick peek at your bank balance, and you're not nearly so green as you're stupid-looking! way to go, moneybags!"

this right after the game made fun of me for cancelling a quest i hadn't started (had to make room)...

about to hit 100 hours, doing lvl 40 + max weapon quests on the way to
upover.
i've loved every moment so far, but i'm definitely not going to go grotto-crawling afterwards. too much other good stuff on the horizon. onward!

Oxx

Post-game spoilers:

After messing about in grottoes and doing quests I finally got around to
regaining the flying train and reuniting with Stella. Which was actually a decent surprise for me. I knew that you gained the ability to fly around the map, but I kinda assumed that eating the fygg would just give Hero some wings. As a big Stella fan I was pretty pleased to see her return.

But after spending a few hours darting about the map I think I have landed on most of the inaccessible areas from the main game. Not much to write home about to be honest.

Oh well, back to grinding skill points and raiding grottoes.

Shoogoo

Oi I just got this map called Baramos Lv.1 something.

What is it? My friend said it's a special grotto that you can only complete once (or something along those lines, didn't really get what he said :lol )

Wichu

Shoogoo said:
Oi I just got this map called Baramos Lv.1 something.

What is it? My friend said it's a special grotto that you can only complete once (or something along those lines, didn't really get what he said :lol )
It is a special grotto, but it's not one-time only. Baramos is a legacy boss; the grotto has a single floor with the boss fight. Upon defeating him, you can forfeit the experience you got to level up the boss (increasing his strength, but also his drop rates and eventually changing what items he drops).
You can do a legacy map as many times as you want, but you have to close and re-open the treasure map each time.

Fewr

Argh, my game has frozen three times now. I'm starting to think of leaving the game because I can't properly save on grottoes, and therefore end up losing a day's progress.

ugh

Shoogoo

Wichu said:
It is a special grotto, but it's not one-time only. Baramos is a legacy boss; the grotto has a single floor with the boss fight. Upon defeating him, you can forfeit the experience you got to level up the boss (increasing his strength, but also his drop rates and eventually changing what items he drops).
You can do a legacy map as many times as you want, but you have to close and re-open the treasure map each time.

Thanks. I guess what my friend meant is that if you level up the boss, his drop change and you can't get the lower level 2% drop anymore.

botticus

Shoogoo said:
Thanks. I guess what my friend meant is that if you level up the boss, his drop change and you can't get the lower level 2% drop anymore.
It's a little different with legacy bosses. The rarest drop is available forever, and gets more common as you go. They have a common drop that changes every few levels that you can miss out on.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I did Baramos the other day and it was easily the most fun boss fight I've had so far, he kicked my ass so hard. Considering I beat the end boss of the story without even really needing to heal this shocked and excited me. I almost don't want to give him any more XP, he'll fuck me right up!

I'm onto the post-game story quests now and I'm really enjoying them, I'm glad I continued on into the postgame, it's some really excellend stuff and a lot of the quests I'm finding are nice epilogue pieces.

Johnas

botticus said:
If you're actually putting time into the post-game activities (which is the only reason to level up to 99) you'll eventually get MKS maps. I finally got one (level 66) and even with my MC at level 88, he was getting a level every one or two MKS. Even without those, I'm getting a level or two per grotto, already up to 93 after a couple more hours today.

Do you happen to remember what dungeon environments had your all MKS floors?

I ask because I see you mention level 66, in my zeal for grinding last night I raised my MC's levels 24 times and I have gone from getting level 50-something grottoes to level 70-something, and the environments so far have all been caverns. I seem to remember most of the screenshots from people with LMS floors had ruins as the environment.

In my last grotto I did run into quite a few MKS, so awesome to kill two in a single battle.

On a side note, it's so good to finally be getting decent treasures in grotto chests, just got a lump of orichalchum and a saint's ashes side by side.

Shoogoo

Okay, got it. Thanks for the replies :)

I have another question thought. I tried to get Tropotoga (2% drop from
Atlas
) this morning, did the grotto 6 times with no luck and yeah, growing bored of grinding that place over and over again.

There, my friend (him, again) told me about the Hoimi table thing. After a search here I saw that gaffers knew of this table which didn't surprise me at all. I think I'll try this tonight with my wife and I'd like to know if it works in multiplayer or is it SP only?

Koomaster

Johnas said:
Do you happen to remember what dungeon environments had your all MKS floors?

I ask because I see you mention level 66, in my zeal for grinding last night I raised my MC's levels 24 times and I have gone from getting level 50-something grottoes to level 70-something, and the environments so far have all been caverns. I seem to remember most of the screenshots from people with LMS floors had ruins as the environment.

In my last grotto I did run into quite a few MKS, so awesome to kill two in a single battle.

On a side note, it's so good to finally be getting decent treasures in grotto chests, just got a lump of orichalchum and a saint's ashes side by side.
My all LMS floor has been in a ruin grotto. And my all MKS floor has been in a cave grotto.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
flyinpiranha said:
About when do you get the Legacy Boss maps and are the MKS grottoes just random drops from regular grotto bosses?
You'll get some boss maps from quests and all regular grotto maps are randomly generated (though better maps are gotten for being higher leveled and beating higher level maps). From what I gather it's just a matter to completing A LOT of grottoes and getting lucky with the next map you receive.

Johnas

Koomaster said:
My all LMS floor has been in a ruin grotto. And my all MKS floor has been in a cave grotto.

Ah. I was hoping an all MKS floor was possible, good to know. Thanks for the info.

I now see I had a typo in my previous post, I meant to put LMS instead of MKS in that first sentence.

Koomaster

Shoogoo said:
Wait, you have a grotto where all the enemies are MKS?
Not a whole grotto, just one floor of the grotto. All it has on it are MKS wandering around. They will sometimes bring other monsters into battle with them though.

Oxx

I haven't found any significant metal action in any of my grottoes yet, so I'm still slumming it down in The Bowhole.

At least the combination of Thunderthrust + a massive amount of MP + reduced MP cost ability + the ability to change vocations on the fly means that I can get some serious work done before having to evac out.

Johnas

Oxx said:
I haven't found any significant metal action in any of my grottoes yet, so I'm still slumming it down in The Bowhole.

At least the combination of Thunderthrust + a massive amount of MP + reduced MP cost ability + the ability to change vocations on the fly means that I can get some serious work done before having to evac out.

If you've got some level 50-something grottoes going, check the deeper floors for semi-frequent Liquid Metal Slimes. I have a level 54 and a 59 that both have them, the plus side is that even if you don't run into one of them, the enemies at that stage have decent enough experience.

I'm working on the legacy bosses and I'm finding their drops (aside from orbs) to be really easy to get. I've only killed
Murdaw
twice and I have three pairs of
Somnia boots
. :lol Also, one battle with
Baramos
netted me two sets of
Aliahan clothes
. I have the
Thief's Theory
on my MC, to clarify.

Sorry for the frequent spoiler tags, just wanted to be careful.

Synless

I just got destroyed by the final boss. I'm somewhere around lvl. 51, I have decimated every other boss like they were nothing and this guy just kicks my ass!!!!!! What kind of equipment should I have at this point in the game? Anyone?

Oxx

Johnas said:
If you've got some level 50-something grottoes going, check the deeper floors for semi-frequent Liquid Metal Slimes. I have a level 54 and a 59 that both have them, the plus side is that even if you don't run into one of them, the enemies at that stage have decent enough experience.

I got wiped-out in a mid-40s grotto and went back to lick my wounds and try some of the other post-game stuff I hadn't really touched. Then I ended-up back in Bowhole trying to boost some stats and get another party member with Thunderthrust ready to kick ass.

My main character is up to lv 78 now, so hopefully I'll get some 50+ maps soon enough.

dvolovets

Synless said:
I just got destroyed by the final boss. I'm somewhere around lvl. 51, I have decimated every other boss like they were nothing and this guy just kicks my ass!!!!!! What kind of equipment should I have at this point in the game? Anyone?
Same problem, here. It's kind of sad, actually, I was playing up until this point with no problems, but after getting my ass handed to me 5-6 times, I don't feel like playing the game at all. :(

Johnas

Synless said:

Your levels are fine, what classes are you currently using? Do any of your characters have Multiheal (Sage learns it at 24)?

I finished the game in the mid 40s without changing classes at all, I had Minstrel, Warrior, Priest, and Mage. I don't remember any particular strategy, except I don't think I had Multiheal, so if you have that you should be in much better shape.

As for equipment, I didn't do much alchemy by that point, mostly just bought the most up-to-date things I could (check Upover's shops).

Oxx said:
I got wiped-out in a mid-40s grotto and went back to lick my wounds and try some of the other post-game stuff I hadn't really touched. Then I ended-up back in Bowhole trying to boost some stats and get another party member with Thunderthrust ready to kick ass.

My main character is up to lv 78 now, so hopefully I'll get some 50+ maps soon enough.

Yeah, with that level you can easily obtain level 50 grottoes. Go for it. It's a simple strategy, but if you don't have accessories that restore MP as you walk (goddess ring, happy hat) just buy a ton of magic waters and keep them on hand while you're exploring grottoes. When you reach the boss, just use some to get everybody back to maximum HP and MP before the boss fight. You can buy them in Bloomingdale, from the lady right by the entrance.

Oxx

I beat the final boss with characters ranging from 56-61 (L56 Armamentalist, L59 Paladin, L57 Mage, L61 Ranger)

I definitely got a bit lucky, though. My first attempt was pretty woeful and after a couple of status-altering attacks the boss wiped me out. I didn't really do anything different in my second go, but there was no confusion or sleep and I beat him without breaking sweat.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Koomaster said:

what's the name of your all LMS floor grotto?

Oxx

Johnas said:
Yeah, with that level you can easily obtain level 50 grottoes. Go for it. It's a simple strategy, but if you don't have accessories that restore MP as you walk (goddess ring, happy hat) just buy a ton of magic waters and keep them on hand while you're exploring grottoes. When you reach the boss, just use some to get everybody back to maximum HP and MP before the boss fight. You can buy them in Bloomingdale, from the lady right by the entrance.

I'm pretty good at conserving MP, but I have had a lot of problems with Darkonium slimes (I think that's what they're called). Especially dealing with them when they hunt in packs.

I guess I could always use Vanish to try and skulk around them.

Johnas

Oxx said:
I'm pretty good at conserving MP, but I have had a lot of problems with Darkonium slimes (I think that's what they're called). Especially dealing with them when they hunt in packs.

Those and the Octagoons (look like Catoblepas from Castlevania: DoS) are kind of a pain for a while. I usually have my Mage cast Oomph on my Warrior so I can take care of them quickly. She (the Mage) has a Goddess Ring equipped so she regains the MP pretty quickly after the battle.

With Vanish, just keep in mind that when you touch an enemy, it goes away so you'll have to cast it again after that battle's over.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, I beat the last boss on level 40 for everyone (my sage was only about 35), but I had totally poopsocked the job system in the bowhole, so everyone had great stats and loads of HP. I didn't find him particularly challenging by that point, I just had to keep hitting him. I think I overleveled by quite a long way by that point though.

Oxx said:

Yeah, I just started running into them too. I've been treating them similar to LMSs: have a heavy hitter nail 'em once with something like Hard Claw, then someone else follow up with a critical move like Thunder Thrust. Usually takes me 2-3 turns for each one. Kabuff if you need it, especially since you have a Goddess Ring.

Synless

Johnas said:
Your levels are fine, what classes are you currently using? Do any of your characters have Multiheal (Sage learns it at 24)?

I finished the game in the mid 40s without changing classes at all, I had Minstrel, Warrior, Priest, and Mage. I don't remember any particular strategy, except I don't think I had Multiheal, so if you have that you should be in much better shape.

As for equipment, I didn't do much alchemy by that point, mostly just bought the most up-to-date things I could (check Upover's shops).

I have the same classes you have. I have mastered fans and spears for my priest (for MP free multi-heal) plus using multi-heal the spell. I really have no idea, the guy really kicked my ass.

Fewr said:
Argh, my game has frozen three times now. I'm starting to think of leaving the game because I can't properly save on grottoes, and therefore end up losing a day's progress.

ugh

How about you stop pirating and buy the damn game and support DQ outside of JP?

Johnas

Synless said:
I have the same classes you have. I have mastered fans and spears for my priest (for MP free multi-heal) plus using multi-heal the spell. I really have no idea, the guy really kicked my ass.

You may have just had a round of bad luck then. I had my minstrel max out sword skills, using an uber falcon sword, I remember that much. Pretty sure I used multithrust for the warrior, and probably oomph with the mage. I may have mixed in a little offensive magic too.

Oxx

Ooh yeah. Double Thunderthrust, baby!

Even Stella is becoming concerned at my victimisation of metal slimes.

Synless said:
Yeah, it's weird. I got to the final boss in my mid-30s and didn't last three rounds (but cleary, had no problems with everyone else). Levelled up to 39/40 and blew through him.

Just in case, this was my plan before the second attempt went so easily:

My main two problems were not enough HP and being put to sleep. Levelling was meant to fix the first, sleep rings for the second. I was mainly concerned about #1. With low HP, you need to be constantly casting Multiheal even when you're okay. I had a Ranger in my party, which helped with Zing and his Agility kept my Priest alive.

My party upon beating the game was at level 41 and was the hero as a Warrior plus two Martial Artists and a Priest. Priest for Multihealing and the occasional Buff, Hero Falcon Slashing, and Martial Artists (one with a fan and the other with claws) attacking/Hardclawing and Psyching Up when the boss increased his defense. Beat him on my first try. I didn't alchemize any special armour or buy it from the last shop in Upover, (it was too expensive) so I was just using whatever I'd gotten from treasure chests in the previous dungeons mostly.

Oxx

Woo! Treble Thunderthrusts!

Definitely overkill for these poor liquid metal slimes. I need to find some worthwhile quarry.

Oxx

I think this game is going to keep me going all year.

I've already cancelled my Etrian Odyssey III order because of my enduring DQ love affair, and it's making it easier on me to avoid the new Metroid as well.

botticus

Oxx said:
I think this game is going to keep me going all year.

I've already cancelled my Etrian Odyssey III order because of my enduring DQ love affair, and it's making it easier on me to avoid the new Metroid as well.
I'm relying on EO to take me away from DQ. :lol

Working on accumulating the rest of the A- and S-rank equipment from grottoes, then the slow ingredient grind to get things upgraded.

keiichi

Awesome game so far.

I have a ton of skill points to use, how have everyone else been distributing them? I was thinking of picking up Weapon (100)->Agility->Deftness->Shield->Misc.

keiichi said:
Awesome game so far.

I have a ton of skill points to use, how have everyone else been distributing them? I was thinking of picking up Weapon (100)->Agility->Deftness->Shield->Misc.

I went weapon, shield then switched to Gladiator.

I've also done the Hoimi Table and it worked twice in a row on two separate Grotto Bosses (only level 45-50).

I really wish the mats for stuff wasn't so ridiculous to farm though.

ijed

botticus said:
I'm relying on EO to take me away from DQ. :lol

Yeah this - still got another month till I get my copy of EO so should tide me over nicely till then.
love both styles of gameplay though. Still on main quest on 6th fygg. The treasure map dungeons are awesome fun.

Just made a 2nd martial artist as my first with stave tears everything up (party pooper ftw!) - gave the 2nd one claws which are also awesome. Just unlocked Armamentalist last night which seems pretty cool - Paladin I like too but will have to level them up a bit first before they start to pay off

markot

Banned
Helllllllo!

Just got the game, recently released in Australia >.<

Questions!

1. Um, how do you change your class/career/job?
2. Can you change skill point spendage or are you stuck with it?
3. So your other 3 members are just generic what you want thingy from the inn right? No special character partners?

I am only up to the bit after you defeat the
black knight
so like a few hours >.>

Wichu

markot said:
Helllllllo!

Just got the game, recently released in Australia >.<

Questions!

1. Um, how do you change your class/career/job?
2. Can you change skill point spendage or are you stuck with it?
3. So your other 3 members are just generic what you want thingy from the inn right? No special character partners?

I am only up to the bit after you defeat the
black knight
so like a few hours >.>
1. There's a place you visit during the story (
Alltrades Abbey
), where you'll eventually be able to change class (after beating
Master of Nu'un at the Tower of Trades
).
2. You're stuck with it; however, once you get the ability to change class, farming skill points becomes very fast (especially once you get to liquid metal slimes).
3. There are a few characters you can recruit, but only via post-game DLC quests. For the main game, you only have access to custom characters.

Top Bottom