• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

botticus

tim1138 said:
I've got close to 80hrs on my game clock and am now wishing I could do a new game+ and just start the story over. The thought of grinding Liquid Metals in the Bowhole to level up to 99, revocate and hope to stumble across a MKS map is pretty disheartening at this point.
If you're actually putting time into the post-game activities (which is the only reason to level up to 99) you'll eventually get MKS maps. I finally got one (level 66) and even with my MC at level 88, he was getting a level every one or two MKS. Even without those, I'm getting a level or two per grotto, already up to 93 after a couple more hours today.

matmanx1

Finished the main story tonight. On to the post game!

My final stats:

Time spent playing: 75:05
Time in multiplayer : 11
Battle Victories: 2183
Times Alchemy Performed: 121
Accolades Earnt: 56
Quests Completed: 34
Grottoes Completed: 1
Guests Canvased: 18

Glad to have that hurdle behind me. I enjoyed "beating" the game but so much more content opens up once you've done it that I was really anxious to be past it. Onward and upward!

This is my first DQ game and maaaan it is such a fun ride. Incredible... I was thinking of getting DQ8 how is it compared to this one? Does it have insane amount of content this one has? I don't see me stopping to play this one for a looooong, looong time

Crazetex

Melhisedek said:
This is my first DQ game and maaaan it is such a fun ride. Incredible... I was thinking of getting DQ8 how is it compared to this one? Does it have insane amount of content this one has? I don't see me stopping to play this one for a looooong, looong time

DQVIII has some optional stuff and post-game content that unlocks terrific rewards, but it's mostly a single dungeon. There aren't any randomly-generated maps or anything.

It makes up for it with an incredibly long main quest and some of the most amazing voice acting/hilarity in a videogame to date. My only real complaint is that since targeting order is done by party order (like in FF1; first two slots are attacked much more often than the third which is more likely to be attacked than the fourth slot), I rarely have a chance to put Angelo in the very front. His cape is so wonderful when riding a sabrecat. :<

Oh, another DQVIII leg-up on DQIX: it has an even bigger, even more ultragiant world map. It's kind of like Japanese Oblivion (meaning that it is more consistent, has better battles and isn't dark for the sake of being dark).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quick (but important) Question: When I miss the downloadable quests for a few weeks, can I download them later when I can access the Internet again?

Toma said:
Quick (but important) Question: When I miss the downloadable quests for a few weeks, can I download them later when I can access the Internet again?
Yes, you could just wait one year and unlock all quests at once if you want to.

botticus

Woohoo, got my MC Warrior up to 99. And then switched him to Gladiator and promptly got an accolade for having terrible fashion: Erdrick's Shield/Helm, Catoptric Armor, Sturdy Slacks, Aliahan Boots. Just threw on whatever had highest defense, since he'll be way underleveled.

Johnas

Will there ever be a way around the 30 guests at the inn requirement?

I have to work a lot (always on Saturday) and there's just no way I can make it to one of those events, if they're even having them anymore. I didn't know if anybody had read anything about being able to download something at some point in the future.

I really wish I could get past that, I have a couple of quests that I have a feeling require recipes found there.

Koomaster

Crazetex said:
DQVIII has some optional stuff and post-game content that unlocks terrific rewards, but it's mostly a single dungeon. There aren't any randomly-generated maps or anything.

It makes up for it with an incredibly long main quest and some of the most amazing voice acting/hilarity in a videogame to date. My only real complaint is that since targeting order is done by party order (like in FF1; first two slots are attacked much more often than the third which is more likely to be attacked than the fourth slot), I rarely have a chance to put Angelo in the very front. His cape is so wonderful when riding a sabrecat. :<

Oh, another DQVIII leg-up on DQIX: it has an even bigger, even more ultragiant world map. It's kind of like Japanese Oblivion (meaning that it is more consistent, has better battles and isn't dark for the sake of being dark).
Yeah, I LOVED DQ8. It and 9 are about equal in my mind; don't think I could pick which was my favorite. If you liked 9, I would highly recommend 8 too. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
slaughterking said:
Yes, you could just wait one year and unlock all quests at once if you want to.

Thank god. Thanks for the info :)

rpmurphy

Johnas said:
Will there ever be a way around the 30 guests at the inn requirement?

I have to work a lot (always on Saturday) and there's just no way I can make it to one of those events, if they're even having them anymore. I didn't know if anybody had read anything about being able to download something at some point in the future.

I really wish I could get past that, I have a couple of quests that I have a feeling require recipes found there.
Legit way to do it by yourself would be to get a second game and DS. Start a new game, go through to Stornway, canvass, and repeat.

rpmurphy said:
Legit way to do it by yourself would be to get a second game and DS. Start a new game, go through to Stornway, canvass, and repeat.
Wait, it doesn't have to be thirty unique tags? Great, as I just picked up a second copy for my sister.

I got the
Starflight Express
(postgame spoiler) So incredible using it the first time. Of course I got decimated by an ultrapowerful enemy while exploring the new areas. :lol

rpmurphy

lordoftherink said:
Wait, it doesn't have to be thirty unique tags? Great, as I just picked up a second copy for my sister.

I got the
Starflight Express
(postgame spoiler) So incredible using it the first time. Of course I got decimated by an ultrapowerful enemy while exploring the new areas. :lol
It's unique every time you create a new main character, I think.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any surefire way to kill the Liquid Metal Slimes? I'm grinding in Bowhole like someone above mentioned, but too often they run away on the first round, or after two rounds after I've done only 5 damage to them. I read somewhere to get the crit spear skill, so I revocated my priest to warrior temporarily just to get that, but it misses just as much as anything else.

turnbuckle

DarthWoo said:
Is there any surefire way to kill the Liquid Metal Slimes? I'm grinding in Bowhole like someone above mentioned, but too often they run away on the first round, or after two rounds after I've done only 5 damage to them. I read somewhere to get the crit spear skill, so I revocated my priest to warrior temporarily just to get that, but it misses just as much as anything else.

Best ways to kill a single Liquid Metal from my experience:

1. Have a ball. I believe it gives 8 chances to hit, usually doing 3-5 damage per character.
2. Falcon blade + metal slash for each character. If you have initiative, you are almost guaranteed to kill in the first round.
3. Have everyone use either Thunder Thrust or hatchet man.

If you're trying to kill metal kings or platinums #3 is by far the best solution I've come up with. I tend to kill them about 90% of the time with this method.

Koomaster

lordoftherink said:

I got the
Starflight Express
It's definitely 30 unique tags. Was canvasing/deleting the same guy from the Best Buy event to get some different maps, and I ended up not completing my inn at 30 tags. Took till 35 tags cuz I canvassed his same profile over and over.

botticus

Man, getting the next legacy boss map is becoming a pain in the ass. I've gotten over 50 mini-medals from
Murdaw
so far, and even 3 yellow orbs (6% drop rate)! But no map (10%). I could level him up to the next range for a slightly higher drop rate, but he's already annoying enough as it is.

zigg

Koomaster said:
It's definitely 30 unique tags.

30 people in your inn, specifically. Check the guestbook with Erinn; if you don't have three full pages of eight and six on the fourth you're not full yet.

I filled my inn at the meetup I was at last night, but I'd had over 30 tags before that—I'd done kickouts to get additional maps from people in the process.

30 is the maximum number of people that can stay in your inn, by the way. Additional guests will kick out old ones. If you want to keep anyone around, stick them in a Royal Suite.

Finally got a Dangerous Bustier from this weeks DQVC theme(sexy/seductive things-bikini, bustier etc)

No new guests :(. The 2 new quests were pretty easy too.

For
Baramos
drops
Does he just drop Aliahan's top and boots or does he drop gloves/pants/hats also?

botticus

ExtraKr1spy said:
Finally got a Dangerous Bustier from this weeks DQVC theme(sexy/seductive things-bikini, bustier etc)

No new guests :(. The 2 new quests were pretty easy too.

For
Baramos
drops
Does he just drop Aliahan's top and boots or does he drop gloves/pants/hats also?
That's it. Once you get to a map drop from any legacy boss, you've exhausted their common drops.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but are DQVC items/weekly themes different for everyone? This week mine is Alchaid 2 so I'm getting nothing but ingredients all week.

rpmurphy

SavoryCade said:
Apologies if this has been covered before, but are DQVC items/weekly themes different for everyone? This week mine is Alchaid 2 so I'm getting nothing but ingredients all week.
The specific list of items in the shop for any given day of the week is different from person to person, but the theme should be identical as far as I know. Alchaid 2 was last week, so my guess is that you might have updated the shop too early when DQVC hadn't yet rolled over to this week's theme. Maybe try again today or tomorrow and see what happens.

inner-G

Banned
Koomaster said:
Yeah, I LOVED DQ8. It and 9 are about equal in my mind; don't think I could pick which was my favorite. If you liked 9, I would highly recommend 8 too. :)
I also vouch for VIII. Not to mention it has widescreen and looks great upscaled on a ps3.

colinp

Banned
zigg said:
30 people in your inn, specifically. Check the guestbook with Erinn; if you don't have three full pages of eight and six on the fourth you're not full yet.

I filled my inn at the meetup I was at last night, but I'd had over 30 tags before that—I'd done kickouts to get additional maps from people in the process.

30 is the maximum number of people that can stay in your inn, by the way. Additional guests will kick out old ones. If you want to keep anyone around, stick them in a Royal Suite.

How do you move them to the Royal Suite? I don't remember ever getting asked where to put them, but maybe I missed it.

zigg said:

Thanks for the explanation. I don't think I'd have the patience to do a new game --> Stornway thirty times, I'll just have to try and get to a meetup.

Koomaster

colinp said:
How do you move them to the Royal Suite? I don't remember ever getting asked where to put them, but maybe I missed it.
Go to Erinn and view the guestbook, then you can tell her to either kick them or move them into a royal suite.

Just picked up the game and I'm loving it so far. Quick question, though - is there a good resource out there for keeping track of local meetups?

Cheerilee

rpmurphy said:
That's not really the "legit" way, since you're still exploiting a weakness of the game. You're intended to tag real people, not grind through new game starts.

But, it's near-impossible to get 30 tags outside of Japan, so any kind of cheating is fine.

Another way to cheat is to use a flashcart to download saves to a second DS. This lets you tag real people and get cool maps, but it seems to involve a minor level of copyright violation that doesn't even bother GAF.

Using a Gameshark means you don't need a second DS, and there's no copyright violation, but somehow it feels like the most "cheating" way of cheating. Probably because it's so easy.

100 hours later and just finished the game (story mode at least).

What an amazing game, no game has had me this wrapped up in it since ME2. I can't wait to start doing things now in the grottoes, my girl is about finished too and then we're going to do tons of MP with the treasure maps.

Wow, what an excellent game! 11/10.

flyinpiranha said:
Quick bump and a question. I never found the Rusty Sword in the final area ... and I've beaten the game, am I just screwed now?
Once you get the Starflight express you can go back to the final area by
talking to the celestian on the top floor of the Realm of the Almighty.

Socreges

Banned
So I'm just a few hours in now and I've got some questions. This is my first DQ game that I've played since they very first Dragon Warrior on the NES, so some of my questions might be pretty ignorant.

Are certain enemies more sensitive to magic or, conversely, physical attacks? Within that, are certain enemies more vulnerable to particular weapons or spells? If so, is there any way to figure this stuff out apart from trial and error? Note: I know that beasts, for example, are vulnerable to abilities that are strong against beasts. I'm more wondering about the other monsters that don't fall under those obvious distinctions.

The DQIX instruction booklet says that I can trade treasure maps in tag mode. Does this mean I keep my own and give them a copy? Is it impossible to get all treasure maps without trading with other players?

The online stuff -- are all quests from previous weeks still available?

Socreges

Banned
Also, how the hell do I know what's good style and what isn't? Apparently this affects the likelihood of enemies being stunned (or stricken by status effects, I'm not sure). Should I try and have consistent clothing (eg, iron everything) or is there some system for how different types of clothing gel with one another?

Socreges said:
So I'm just a few hours in now and I've got some questions. This is my first DQ game that I've played since they very first Dragon Warrior on the NES, so some of my questions might be pretty ignorant.

Are certain enemies more sensitive to magic or, conversely, physical attacks? Within that, are certain enemies more vulnerable to particular weapons or spells? If so, is there any way to figure this stuff out apart from trial and error? Note: I know that beasts, for example, are vulnerable to abilities that are strong against beasts. I'm more wondering about the other monsters that don't fall under those obvious distinctions.

The DQIX instruction booklet says that I can trade treasure maps in tag mode. Does this mean I keep my own and give them a copy? Is it impossible to get all treasure maps without trading with other players?

The online stuff -- are all quests from previous weeks still available?
The usually RPG standards apply for enemy weakness. Once you unlock the Battle Records menu, you can look in the Monster Book to read up on the different types and weaknesses for the various foes.

Which ever map you bring into Tag Mode is just a copy to give away. Also, there are thousands of Treasure Maps, it's impossible to have them all. But all the special Treasure Maps will eventually be released through the Wifi quests.

And all quests (and special guests) are available indefinitely after they are released. The only DLC that is time sensitive is the daily selection of items offered through DQVC.

Socreges said:
Also, how the hell do I know what's good style and what isn't? Apparently this affects the likelihood of enemies being stunned (or stricken by status effects, I'm not sure). Should I try and have consistent clothing (eg, iron everything) or is there some system for how different types of clothing gel with one another?
You can check your Style stat in the attributes menu. Armor sets and rarer pieces of equipment boost Style, but it's a bit random. Expensive looking (aka shiny) items also seem to boost your Style.

Socreges

Banned
My DQIX character just did a variety of stupid party tricks in your honour, Gunloc. Thanks for being so comprehensive.

Also I'd like to mention that I hate going into the Battle Records menu because the music is SO GODAWFUL OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

Speaking of the music, the battle theme is OK. The boss theme is bad. The town themes are normally pretty good. Overall I'm not at all impressed with the music. Probably the game's greatest shortcoming in my opinion.

rpmurphy

Elemental type (fire, ice, wind, earth, blast, light, dark) also plays a part in damage and resistances that affect damage spells, weapons, and abilities. It's something you do trial and error for though, unless you look up a guide.

knkng

Finally! Getting tags in Canada!

I've been at Fan Expo in Toronto this weekend. Forgot my DS on Friday, but brought it today and with only having it on for several hours I managed 47 tags. Hopefully I can get at least another 30 or so tomorrow. Regardless, it seems like everything has been unlocked at the inn, and I even managed to get some very high level maps (including a special event map from NOA). Hooray!

Socreges

Banned
knkng said:
Finally! Getting tags in Canada!

I've been at Fan Expo in Toronto this weekend. Forgot my DS on Friday, but brought it today and with only having it on for several hours I managed 47 tags. Hopefully I can get at least another 30 or so tomorrow. Regardless, it seems like everything has been unlocked at the inn, and I even managed to get some very high level maps (including a special event map from NOA). Hooray!
What do tags matter? Those are people staying at the inn, right? Do you get gold from that? What kind of stuff is unlocked? Items?

Cheerilee

Socreges said:
Every single monster in the game has a different strength/weakness against seven different elements, and every different effect spell has different odds of working against every different monster, with many monsters having full immunity to them. You can't really figure them out or get to know them. I think they wanted it to seem organic, but unless you're using a guide, it's just too unpredictable. Weapon skills seem to be more powerful and predictable than magic in this game.

Socreges said:
The game's system for determining style is needlessly complicated and deliberately hidden from you and doesn't seem to do a very good job of reflecting reality. Trying to check your stats while equipping your party is extremely clunky and cumbersome. Just wear things that you personally think are easy on the eyes and don't worry about the game says you look like. It will generally go up as your stuff gets better (even in ugly combinations), and all it nets you is an occasional free turn or maybe an achievement title that you'll probably just get later in the game.

Edit:
Socreges said:
What do tags matter? Those are people staying at the inn, right? Do you get gold from that? What kind of stuff is unlocked? Items?
Your Inn gets bigger. You get new bookshelves and drawers to search, and at max capacity (30 people) you get some minor alchemy stuff and your guests give you some minor but totally unique clothing items.

Aggrotek

So I've been debating about buying this, but I only have the money for one game right now. Given the choice between DQ9 and Disgaea DS which should I buy?

knkng

ruby_onix said:
Your Inn gets bigger. You get new bookshelves and drawers to search, and at max capacity (30 people) you get some minor alchemy stuff and your guests give you some minor but totally unique clothing items.
Don't forget the
fountain in the basement
which seems to randomly generate items.

I also noticed that since I started canvassing people I've been getting lots of red and silver slimes on my loading screen, which I believe tweaks the statistics of the game (like your luck or something), but I could be wrong.

EDIT:
This reminds me. I noticed that one of the people I canvassed had a star next to their name, but I assume that's because they were level 99. However, there was also a character with a lower level (maybe in the 50's), but his vocation was listed as "Paladin+1". Does anybody know what this means?

I've loved that I didn't need to grind in this game at all and was able to get through the entire main campaign without doing so except for two cases:

1. Was completely underlevelled for the first treasure map boss. Didn't know, since the grotto was so easy.
2. Where I am now:
the final boss of the game, who is rocking me despite the fact I've dispatched everyone else with good strategy. I'm currently at the mid-30s.

Because of this, maybe I'm a bit spoiled and should suck it up and level. I've currently only killed two metal slimes and maybe should go look for some.

Did anyone else ever run into this?

noquarter

Aggrotek said:
So I've been debating about buying this, but I only have the money for one game right now. Given the choice between DQ9 and Disgaea DS which should I buy?
Do you want an SRPG or a traditional JRPG with a lot a post game content and local multiplayer?

If you've already played Disgaea on another system I would go with DQIX for sure. If you've never played Disgaea and like stats and grinding go with it, but look for it on the cheap so you can buy DQIX soon.

Edit: Pretty sure the Paladin +1 means he used revocation on the Paladin (started over from level 1 after getting to 99)

knkng

noquarter said:
Edit: Pretty sure the Paladin +1 means he used revocation on the Paladin (started over from level 1 after getting to 99)
Wow, so do his stats go back to zero, or was he essentially at level 150?

rush777

knkng said:
Wow, so do his stats go back to zero, or was he essentially at level 150?

You start back at level 0 stats and all, but the first time you revocate for each class you get a very good accessory.

scottnak

Gaming Truth said:
I've loved that I didn't need to grind in this game at all and was able to get through the entire main campaign without doing so except for two cases:

1. Was completely underlevelled for the first treasure map boss. Didn't know, since the grotto was so easy.
2. Where I am now:
the final boss of the game, who is rocking me despite the fact I've dispatched everyone else with good strategy. I'm currently at the mid-30s.

Because of this, maybe I'm a bit spoiled and should suck it up and level. I've currently only killed two metal slimes and maybe should go look for some.

This is my situation exactly. Hah... Tried 2 a few more times before giving up and levelling.

Koomaster

rush777 said:
You start back at level 0 stats and all, but the first time you revocate for each class you get a very good accessory.
Any bonus stats you keep tho, so you aren't totally helpless. Such as if you used the seeds or got bonus stats like +60HP from leveling your skills. If I recall, you can revocate in the same profession 10 times, so I am assuming you can eventually get a +10 by your name. I am only up to +3 right now on my main character.

Also I'm pretty sure a star by someone's profile means they have beaten the game (I got a star on my start screen after the end boss). So that one guy beat the game, and I suppose got to level 99 and that's when you canvased him. The other (if he didn't have a star) hasn't beaten the game yet, but has spent a lot of time grinding and revocated one time, and so it's just Paladin+1.

ITA84

Gaming Truth said:

2. Where I am now:

I died to it a couple times, then gave up and went back to the main game for a while. After all it's not like you have to defeat that boss right away. I came back to it after a while and beat it, so I guess I didn't actually have to grind; I tend to complete a lot of quests though, and that contributes a bit to my level growth.

But yeah, treasure map bosses seem to be a pain: I'll have to start grinding eventually if I want to beat more of them.

Top Bottom