• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Johnas

Oxx said:
The legacy bosses represent the worst of the games number grinding distilled into bite-sized chunks.

I've beaten the first one 37 times and I have very little to show for it. Apart from a ton of mini-medals, of course.

It's always these limited drop things that sap my enthusiasm for the game. I'm surprised I have lasted this long with the post-game.

Do you have the Thief's Theory? Imo, that's essential for the legacy bosses. I have multiples of every rare drop (I think I have 6 of one of them) and quite a few orbs as well. I only have one of them leveled up to the forties, the other two are still in the teens. Occasionally I'll get four items simultaneously upon defeat (mini medal, rare drop, orb, then steal a rare drop).

You really should take the time to get that item if you don't have it. Apologies if I've mentioned this to you before, I remember posting it once but I'm not sure who I was replying to.

Johnas

Oxx said:
Is that one of the books you have to hold?

Yeah, it's technically a scroll though. It's the reward for
quest #100, see Buster in Dourbridge
. (Spoilered just to be safe.)

I have it in my main character's inventory, it lets you
steal automatically, but you don't actually see any kind of stealing action or anything like that during the battle, and you don't see the result of a successful steal until the end of the battle. But it'll noticeably increase your chances of those drops

keiichi

If you speak to a guest that you canvassed before going out again do you lose the chance to grab any map they were carrying?

:(

edit: nevermind, found the other side of the Inn :)

Oxx said:
Balls. My thief is only L37. Now I have to remember which grottoes/levels have Metal Kings.

Hmm, you don't by chance have the Eye for Trouble skill do you? If not, I would recommend getting it before fighting the DLC exclusive non-legacy bosses because they can only be fought once and if you don't Eye for Trouble them the one time you fight them you'll never be able to get their data again unless you multiplayer.

Oxx

Mockingbird said:
Hmm, you don't by chance have the Eye for Trouble skill do you? If not, I would recommend getting it before fighting the DLC exclusive non-legacy bosses because they can only be fought once and if you don't Eye for Trouble them the one time you fight them you'll never be able to get their data again unless you multiplayer.

I have it. I haven't really used it much, though.

In spite of my whining in this thread, I'm not particularly interested in 100%-ing everything in the game.

Oxx

Thief's Theory is really paying dividends. I got 8 pairs of boots from the second legacy boss. And he dropped the map for the next boss @ L22 so all in all this grotto went a lot more smoothly than the first one.

Not particularly enthused at the prospect of beating the third boss at least 69 times in order to get all the items, though.

Johnas

Oxx said:
Thief's Theory is really paying dividends. I got 8 pairs of boots from the second legacy boss. And he dropped the map for the next boss @ L22 so all in all this grotto went a lot more smoothly than the first one.

Not particularly enthused at the prospect of beating the third boss at least 69 times in order to get all the items, though.

Told ya. :p

Yeah, that third boss starts getting pretty tricky in the forties. I haven't really tried past that, but my win to loss ratio there was about 50/50, after just plowing through the earlier levels.

You might want to do some orb grinding while he's still in the twenties or thirties, when it's not so much of a chore to beat him. I haven't gotten the other two bosses past the late teens, but I'd bet they get about that difficult around that same timeframe.

Oxx

I only got the map to drop from the first boss when he was level 42. The only real difference in difficulty is that I might have had to heal occasionally instead of just attacking each turn.

Will I be needing a lot of orbs? I noticed a few of the alchemy recipes require them.

I think I've only managed to get one or two orbs from the first two bosses.

Johnas

Oxx said:
Will I be needing a lot of orbs? I noticed a few of the alchemy recipes require them.

I don't want to spoil it for you if you're unaware, so I'll tag this:
There are special recipes for the very best weapons called alchemiracles, they have something like a 25% success rate at producing the very best weapon in their category, and a 75% chance of producing the next best one. The catch is that they require something like 3 orbs each attempt, and the game makes you save right before and after the attempt (or something to that effect) so you can't just turn your DS off if it fails, those orbs are consumed each time

I haven't actually done any of it myself, I've just read about it, but that's the gist of it.

Loto

Orbs don't seem to be the problem in upgrading as much as getting all of the materials for an Agate of Evolution or 3!

donny2112

Johnas said:
I don't want to spoil it for you if you're unaware, so I'll tag this:
There are special recipes for the very best weapons called alchemiracles, they have something like a 25% success rate at producing the very best weapon in their category, and a 75% chance of producing the next best one. The catch is that they require something like 3 orbs each attempt, and the game makes you save right before and after the attempt (or something to that effect) so you can't just turn your DS off if it fails, those orbs are consumed each time

Hoimi table. Spending tons of hours to have a 10% chance of getting an item is not fun for me. Works to get the orbs and to 100% the Alchemiracles.

Loto said:
Orbs don't seem to be the problem in upgrading as much as getting all of the materials for an Agate of Evolution or 3!

Find a save with that Kawasaki Lvl. 86 map, tag it to your game with a second copy of the game, and play through the Grotto a couple dozen times picking up Ethereal Stones, Sainted Somas, and Metal Slime Swords (for the cash to buy Chronocrystals).
:p

Johnas

donny2112 said:
Hoimi table. Spending tons of hours to have a 10% chance of getting an item is not fun for me. Works to get the orbs and to 100% the Alchemiracles.

How dare you, sir!

Nah, I can completely understand that. I haven't done that yet, but I may, we'll see if I'm burned out on the game by that point. I am honestly amazed I'm almost to the 300 hour mark and still having fun.

Oxx

I'd probably feel a bit guilty manipulating the calculations in order to get exactly what I need.

I already feel like I'm cheating just sitting in front of the computer checking how to complete certain quests.

Loto

A couple of weeks ago, soma's and stones were on the DQVC. I just went into a friends world and bought from his store, reset, repeat.

I have a ton of gold going for the 2% drops from grotto bosses. With Thief coup de grace, Im guaranteed one drop, most of the time its the normal drop. Selling those drops nets me a ton of gold.

N4Us

Beat the game the other day. Did my first post-quest on fighting
Leviathan again
, holy crap. I ended up beating him barely on the second try. Guess I have a bit more leveling-up to do.

Loto

N4Us said:
Beat the game the other day. Did my first post-quest on fighting
Leviathan again
, holy crap. I ended up beating him barely on the second try. Guess I have a bit more leveling-up to do.

ya he was crazy hard, especially coming off of the final boss. Have fun in the post game, good loots to be found.

Oxx

Hmm... I have
Dhoulmagus
up to level 22 and he's starting to become a bit of a pain.

I've already nabbed 7 orbs and two pairs of trousers from the dude. So now I have to beat him 35 more times just to get the chance of a fresh item.

I can pretty much just leave the game on the desk to play itself while I work, but I can't help but think this might send me insane.

I've been playing this game very slowly, just over 20 hours played and I've spent a good amount of it just levelling up different classes in order to get some skill points. I still haven't unlocked armamentalist because that quest is kinda annoying and I don't want to have to teach my whole party Wizard Ward just to make sure I get it.

I got about 40 people canvassing at NY Comic Con and I got a lot of treasure maps, but my guys are too weak to take on most of them right now. :lol

Johnas

Hit a couple of milestones last night:

1) 300 hours. :|

2) +8 revocation for grotto diving.

Scythesurge said:
I got about 40 people canvassing at NY Comic Con and I got a lot of treasure maps, but my guys are too weak to take on most of them right now. :lol

Do you realize what a miracle that is? :lol Congrats.

Oxx

Oh boy. D-bag is making mincemeat out of me now that he can attack 3x a turn.

That said, the battle is kinda easy if he forgets to use Disruptive Wave.

Johnas

Only one new quest this week? And it's not even interesting.

Finally found a pair of
Metal Slime Sollerets
in a grotto, to finish up my last remaining normal quest. Only unfinished quest I have is Bert's Berfday.

I also finally fought
Greygnarl
in a grotto, fun battle.

Oxx

Princess Skittles said:
Aren't they all? :p

Truth.

It just makes those battles where the enemy completely forgets to use disruptive wave all the more bizarre.

What vocation do you have to be to get another item from this week's guest?

Johnas said:
Do you realize what a miracle that is? :lol Congrats.
Yeah I really couldn't believe it! I guess it helped that Nintendo had a booth there with a few systems canvassing. I'm happy to see my inn be upgraded, didn't know that was going to happen!

On the flip side, I have had many stupid connection issues with my DS so after all these months I still have not connected to DQVC. :(

Loto

Oxx said:
Truth.

It just makes those battles where the enemy completely forgets to use disruptive wave all the more bizarre.

What vocation do you have to be to get another item from this week's guest?
Gonna guess and say try Martial Artist

man, i finally got a pruning knife out of a chest and was leveling for a bit, then when i get to the boss at the end of a grotto my game freezes. an hours worth of work down the f-ing drain.

Oxx

Good to finally get a legacy boss I recognise.

I'm sure these battles would have more meaning if I had familiarity with the series outside of IV and V.

Spent like 10 minutes switching classes trying to get more items from Debora but it seems she only gives you stuff fro your birthday and when you first talk to her.

donny2112

Oxx said:
I'm sure these battles would have more meaning if I had familiarity with the series outside of IV and V.

Ditto. Dragonlord was a nice change of pace. I had also played III (if you played a lot of I, III is good), but other than that, it was 1, 4, and 5.

Oxx

Which boss is from DQ6? Am I spoiling the end of that game?

*Still believes in the VI remake making it out of Japan*

Johnas

Oxx said:

I'm gonna say Murdaw, since I've finished every other DQ but VI and I had never seen him before.

How did you get the Dragonlord map?

Oxx

I fought
Greygnarl
about 30 times until he dropped it.

Not a particularly difficult battle, but descending 14 floors just to reach him made it more of a chore than grinding the legacy bosses.

Loto

Johnas said:
I'm gonna say Murdaw, since I've finished every other DQ but VI and I had never seen him before.

How did you get the Dragonlord map?

Murdaw, Nokturnus, and Mortamor are from DQ VI

You get Dragonlord map from
Greygnarl

Kikujiro

Oxx said:

Sometimes next year, don't worry.
After the success of DQIX I'm sure they'll bring it here.

thomaser

Finally got a map with Metal King Slimes, after 150 hours or so. But I only play to complete the weekly quests now, so I dunno if I can be bothered to run around that place for hours just to level up some more... I wish the quest bosses were much harder than they are.

Johnas

thomaser said:
Finally got a map with Metal King Slimes, after 150 hours or so. But I only play to complete the weekly quests now, so I dunno if I can be bothered to run around that place for hours just to level up some more... I wish the quest bosses were much harder than they are.

For a fully-leveled and revocated party, the only true combat challenge in the post game is found
in the legacy bosses, specifically leveling them up
. There may be something comparable down the road in the quests, but I doubt it.

Oxx and Loto: Thanks for the info.

I am really looking forward to DQVI at the moment. I have enjoyed IX, but IV and V quite a bit more. Need more sprites I guess.

Synless

Johnas said:
For a fully-leveled and revocated party, the only true combat challenge in the post game is found
in the legacy bosses, specifically leveling them up
. There may be something comparable down the road in the quests, but I doubt it.

Oxx and Loto: Thanks for the info.

I am really looking forward to DQVI at the moment. I have enjoyed IX, but IV and V quite a bit more. Need more sprites I guess.
I'm really looking forward to VI as well. I think one of the weakest parts of IX was it's lack of music and quality of the music. Most of it was forgettable.

Johnas

Synless said:
I'm really looking forward to VI as well. I think one of the weakest parts of IX was it's lack of music and quality of the music. Most of it was forgettable.

Yeah, that really stuck out for me as well.

It's probably an unpopular opinion, but overall I thought this game was a step down from VIII. I have invested many more hours into it due to the way the post game is designed, but I simply haven't enjoyed it as much as previous entries. The games were already getting too long in my opinion (VII, and to a lesser degree VIII) but IX just blows them out of the water. I know the main story is just that, and I finished it at around 50 hours or so, but there's just so much left afterwards that I couldn't help but feel shortchanged if I didn't pursue some of it. I also didn't find the main game very memorable, I struggle even right now thinking of what happened storywise. Not that I put a high emphasis on story, but DQ usually has pretty clever vignettes, few of which come to mind when I think back on IX.

I do really like the way the story is heading in the postgame, it seems like an interesting direction, and if it does what I think it will, I'll be pretty satisfied with it.

fates

Recently (right after IX launched, actually) Square Enix trademarked Realms of Revelations for NA and several European titles roughly equal to "the Dream World". As well as a domain for the former.

Also, Aeana indicated is still in the works. Even in OP of this thread.

And then there's the preorder on Amazon (no date or anything of course)

Signs point to it still coming out. But I can't lie and say I don't have concern as the 3DS is coming around the corner and it's almost been a year since JP release.

VI is my favorite entry in the series, struck the balance between not being short, but not being DQ7 looooong. Also had a lot neat stuff like fashion shows and what not.

Top Bottom