• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Oxx

In terms of my limited experience with the series I'd put IX somewhere in between V and IV.

The main quest seems so long ago now, but I enjoyed the individual tales quite a bit (even though only the ones in Coffinwell and Bloomingdale really resonated emotionally).

V still remains my favourite from a story standpoint, but IX is the first time I have taken an interest in the mechanics and systems underpinning the combat and character development.

Johnas

Finally got a really good grotto, and have found some nice treasures in it on three runs: two Metal Slime Armours, one pair of Metal Slime Sollerets, and a Bright Staff. The only metal item I need for my Gladiator now is a pair of Metal Slime Gauntlets.

Kind of sucks that upgrading all that metal equipment to Liquid doesn't change their appearances, but I expect it will with that later upgrade.

320 hours.

Beat this about, month and a half ago? Something like that. Goofed off in a grotto or two each day till I got my Etri on a month ago. Keep in mind this is my first DQ:

Music was nice. Observatory was a favorite.

Graphics are damn nice, good animation.

Liked the vignettes and subplots.

The ending and a few plot points either made little sense or a little too much deus ex machina for my taste.

Bewerewolves is the most awesome monster name ever. :lol

Johnas

The four-star weapons are starting to pour in, found two Pokers on my last run. That is one cool-looking spear.

Finally some worthwhile rewards to all that revocating.

Oxx

I think this time I might actually be ready to retire the DQIX cart.

I'm kinda sick of grottoes, so I'm just going to sit back and check in on the weekly quests.

And just in time for Layton as well.

ElFly

Now I am trying to face Atlas, to complete the sage quest. I am afraid I'll haver to revocate again, to get some lower level grottoes, since all I am seeing is Elusid and Sir Skeleton.

Oxx

DQ events in the UK!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2010/dragon_quest_ix_events_across_uk_19366.html

Are you among the many adventurers who have journeyed into the expansive world of Dragon Quest IX since its release earlier this year? If so, you’ll be glad to hear we’re offering our loyal Dragon Quest fans the opportunity to share their world with fellow Celestrians. We’re also giving you the chance to get access to exciting content, including special boss Estark, when you enter Tag Mode!

Special events will be taking place up and down the country this month to bring Dragon Quest fans together, with Gamerbase in HMV stores acting as a meeting point on the following dates:

Edinburgh - Monday, 25th October
Glasgow - Tuesday, 26th October
Manchester - Wednesday, 27th October
Reading - Thursday, 28th October
London - Friday, 29th October

Make sure you come equipped with your Nintendo DS and copy of Dragon Quest IX and you’ll be able to share maps, characters and information with other players.

There will also be the chance to enjoy some exciting multiplayer action and share your passion for Dragon Quest. If you and three friends attend together, you will all get an exclusive Slime giveaway.*

*While stocks last

Birmingham am cry. I'm not traveling that far.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just have to beat the final boss (characters are at ~L43, using Minstrel/Martial Artist/Priest/Wizard), and then it's time to do some postgame stuff. So aside from the grottos, additional Quests (honestly not feelin the whole Quest system with the game), and
Tower of Nod
, what else is there? I'll probably only do the latter on my playthrough.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
djtiesto said:
Just have to beat the final boss (characters are at ~L43, using Minstrel/Martial Artist/Priest/Wizard), and then it's time to do some postgame stuff. So aside from the grottos, additional Quests (honestly not feelin the whole Quest system with the game), and
Tower of Nod
, what else is there? I'll probably only do the latter on my playthrough.
That's basically it.

Post-game stuff, mostly grottoes, is far more interesting in multi-player. It wears thin pretty quickly solo.

zigg

Princess Skittles said:
Post-game stuff, mostly grottoes, is far more interesting in multi-player. It wears thin pretty quickly solo.
Even so, I think my group is about done. We can only take so much.

ataboada

Well it took me long but I finished the game, clocking at 73 hrs.

For the longest time I felt apathetic about tackling the final dungeon. I'm not sure if it was because I started getting bored with the same formula that the storyline followed, or because I just wanted to sabotage an ending that I predicted would leave me with much to be desired. My hiatus lasted about two months, and I picked the game again just to itch away the feeling that I would have another game in my backlog.

In any case, my party was comprised of:

Lv. 49 Armamentalist (Main)
Lv. 41 Priest
Lv. 48 Mage
Lv. 47 Monk

Got to 20 tags total in my inn from official Nintendo/Best Buy/Gamestop gatherings, along with friendly ones, and got to play some multiplayer grottoes as well. A lot of fun with those although short lived. I really wish SE had implemented online on this one.

I might do some quests every now and then but I guess that's it for me for now.

djtiesto

Princess Skittles said:
That's basically it.

Damn, the only people I know with copies of DQ9 are still trying to make their way through 5 DS :p

BTW I got something like a level 98 map from NYCC. What's the US name of the legandary Metal Slime map?

Suzzopher

So bought this on day one in Europe and only got round to starting it last week:lol

I have now sunk 25 hours into the game and completely ignored all other games in favour of this lovely little game :D

Loto

djtiesto said:
Damn, the only people I know with copies of DQ9 are still trying to make their way through 5 DS :p

BTW I got something like a level 98 map from NYCC. What's the US name of the legandary Metal Slime map?
Ruby Path of Doom lvl 87. Finder is Masayuki if I'm remembering correctly

Oxx

Suzzopher said:
So bought this on day one in Europe and only got round to starting it last week:lol

I have now sunk 25 hours into the game and completely ignored all other games in favour of this lovely little game :D

Better late than never, Suzz.

Johnas

ElFly said:
Today's quest is crazy.

Looked the solution on a faq, cause fuck it.

I've found quite a few of those guys previously, I told myself I should make a note of where they were but I didn't.

I'm gonna try it the legitimate way and see how many I can find.

I just hope we're not relegated to getting one new quest a week from this point forward, since this is the second week in a row of that nonsense. Two a week isn't much better.

Johnas said:
I've found quite a few of those guys previously, I told myself I should make a note of where they were but I didn't.

I'm gonna try it the legitimate way and see how many I can find.

I just hope we're not relegated to getting one new quest a week from this point forward, since this is the second week in a row of that nonsense. Two a week isn't much better.

Not to mention the quest reward is an item that does absolutely nothing. It must be just a pre-requisite for the next quest.

Also, Johnas, something tells me that's exactly what's gonna happen...for months.

donny2112

someguyinahat said:
something tells me that's exactly what's gonna happen...for months.

Get to a point you're satisfied with, and put it up for months, then. That way when you come back, you'll have lots of quests to do. :D

djtiesto

Got to the end guy, with Minstrel L44, Martial Artist L44, Priest L43, Mage L43...

In 3 rounds, he debuffed all my buffs, healed what pitiful damage I was able to do on him, released his magic power, wiped out 2 of my guys and put the other 2 to sleep.

Fuck this game. Looks like I'm gonna have to grind like hell. Unless there's a trick I'm missing...

donny2112

Judging by your party list, it looks like you've never changed jobs?

Try changing one job at a time, getting them up to Lvl. 20 or so to get some of the stat bonuses, and rinse and repeat. Just looking at your setup, you seem a magic heavy, attack light group, too. Maybe throw in a
Paladin
for the long-term to the group?

djtiesto

donny2112 said:
Judging by your party list, it looks like you've never changed jobs?

Try changing one job at a time, getting them up to Lvl. 20 or so to get some of the stat bonuses, and rinse and repeat. Just looking at your setup, you seem a magic heavy, attack light group, too. Maybe throw in a
Paladin
for the long-term to the group?

Yeah for some reason, I didn't really bother with job changing. The classes I had were pretty sufficient to breeze through most of the game, just was really surprised at the end guy taking me out like that. Maybe I'll build up some more classes and get more permanent stat bonuses.

Oxx

The first time I fought the last boss he destroyed me in a similar fashion.

Then I fought him a second time and he didn't use any of his most devastating moves and it was a breeze.

Johnas

someguyinahat said:
Also, Johnas, something tells me that's exactly what's gonna happen...for months.

Yeah, I just took a look at the dates assigned in the quest FAQ at Gamefaqs, looks like one a week from now on if it's to be believed. That stretches it out to cover almost exactly one year from the release date to the final DLC quest.

I understand the principle from a longevity standpoint, but I saw one quest in particular that is time sensitive (need to buy something from DQVC that week to complete the quest), and the fact that all of this is already just sitting there on the cart is a little irritating.

Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

Johnas

someguyinahat said:
It is? ...So what exactly is it downloading when I enter the DQVC and access wi-fi?

Well, the items for sale vary from week to week of course (and apparently there's some variance from player to player as well). All the quests, however, are already on the cart and are just "unlocked" when you access DQVC each Friday. That's all that happens when you get a new quest (or quests), you're simply tripping a flag that allows you to play it then.

I believe some people with Action Replays have already unlocked all of them.

zigg

Johnas said:
I understand the principle from a longevity standpoint, but I saw one quest in particular that is time sensitive (need to buy something from DQVC that week to complete the quest), and the fact that all of this is already just sitting there on the cart is a little irritating.

Well, to be completely fair, the problem is the quest's design, not whether it's being unlocked by flipping a flag or not. If the quest code was actually being downloaded in full each week (which would likely make the cart prohibitively expensive to make due to its save size, plus make DQVC syncing take a good deal longer—this is the DS we're talking about, after all, its wireless chip is great locally, and... not so great online), the problem would still be there and still be just as much a problem.

FWIW, I think the actual DQVC shop inventory works like this: Sellma's greeting along with a list of items that should appear (and, of course, quest/guest unlocks) are pulled down, and then the local game randomizes the inventory from that. I know her greeting is written to the save. That's why it makes you save, I think—to keep you from trying the randomized inventory again and again till you get what you want.

Johnas

zigg said:
Well, to be completely fair, the problem is the quest's design, not whether it's being unlocked by flipping a flag or not. If the quest code was actually being downloaded in full each week (which would likely make the cart prohibitively expensive to make due to its save size, plus make DQVC syncing take a good deal longer—this is the DS we're talking about, after all, its wireless chip is great locally, and... not so great online), the problem would still be there and still be just as much a problem.

FWIW, I think the actual DQVC shop inventory works like this: Sellma's greeting along with a list of items that should appear (and, of course, quest/guest unlocks) are pulled down, and then the local game randomizes the inventory from that. I know her greeting is written to the save. That's why it makes you save, I think—to keep you from trying the randomized inventory again and again till you get what you want.

I think we agree, but I was basically lamenting the fact that we only get one new quest a week. I think three or four a week would be completely reasonable, and have them all released by, say, the end of the calendar year instead of dragging it out over the course of a full year.

I understand what you're saying though, it would take a lot longer to download all that data each time, if all the data for each quest in its entirety had to be downloaded.

What you said about DQVC makes a lot of sense too, works kind of like the
alchemiracles
, where you can't just reload until you get what you want.

ataboada

Having finished the game, I can't help but compare it in many ways to Phantasy Star Zero. Of course, PS0 not as in-depth as DQ9, but I wish DQ9 had the online component that the former has. It would definitely make the post-game questing and grotto exploring a lot less like a chore, and more fun ultimately. I haven't played FF Echoes of Time, though I assume it also compares in many ways. For the people who have played either, what are your thoughts on it?

hipgnosis

Started playing this a while ago, I'm enjoying a lot so far. The story is pretty basic DQ stuff, not much has happened, but I'm sure it'll pick up. Loving the graphics and the music, really digging the overall atmosphrere as well.

I do have small gripes too however. Sometimes the framerate seems pretty awful and the game just can't keep up with all the stuff going on. The problems started as soon as I got myself a party. The battles seem a bit slow too after the awesome remakes of IV and V. Also I'd like to adjust the text speed, but it is not possible.

Despite these minor gripes the game seems pretty awesome so far.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure of the answer to this question, but I just got DQ9 and want to know is there any place I could reliably canvass for maps and whatever without ending up on a sex offender list? It'd be nice of BB or GS to have DS systems set to the mode for customers.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Love this game...cant..get...enough..of it..!!

I hope they cancel DQX for the Wii and make it for the 3DS..(and re-release VIII for it too please, with visible random encounters!)
The portable format is so yummy :D

Oxx

diffusionx said:
I'm pretty sure of the answer to this question, but I just got DQ9 and want to know is there any place I could reliably canvass for maps and whatever without ending up on a sex offender list? It'd be nice of BB or GS to have DS systems set to the mode for customers.

In spite of that teen girl slumber-party, you're probably more likely to get results if you target nerd hotspots rather than children.

But this is coming from someone who hasn't encountered any other DQ players and probably never will do.

djtiesto

diffusionx said:

Anime/comic/sci-fi/nerd conventions seem to be the best bet... I got a few at NY Comic Con/Anime Fest. Perhaps music festivals as well?

tim1138

Speaking of canvassing if anyone else is going to the Mid-Ohio Comic Con this weekend I will be canvassing both days. I don't have any of the hip all MKS floor maps, but will be sharing whatever my highest level one is.

accomplished quite a few things recently, most notably getting two rare 2% drops from Nemean and finding a Meteorang! also got another pair of Metal Slime Sollarets and revocated 3 times for my Gladiator. Right now I'm taking a break from my MKS-killings and am going to tackle some Legacy bosses.

Oxx

jedward.png

Good job Nintendo UK.

lol Jedward. I would have gone if Helen Mirren was there.

Edit: Gah! Stupid email! Now I want to play DQIX again. Have I missed anything good on DQVC in the last few weeks?

ghibli99

This is the first time in history that I've played 2 RPGs at the same time (Dragon Quest VIII and IX). That's how much this series rules. Almost beat the S-class Monster Arena in DQ8, and finally got my Gringham Whip. Hit 777 on 100-token slots, which made the rest of it easy. :)

Anyway, back to DQ9... after taking some time away from it to play DQ7 and DQ8, my friend's constant stories about quests, alchemy, and grottoes resparked my interest. In I went again. At the time before DQ7&8, I was around 75 hours and change. Now, I'm almost to 100 hours.

Totally *loving* this game again! Spent a good chunk of time building up my gold reserves w/ the ear cosy and gold mail farming... I'm up to about 450k, which is good since some of the exclusive DQVC gear costs a grip. And some of these quests require some expensive purchases.

The sheer amount of stuff left to do is crazy. I feel like I've only accomplished like 10% of what the game has to offer. I doubt I'll complete everything, but it's neat to think that this little $30 game can keep on giving for years.

Edgeward

Oxx said:
jedward.png

Edit: Gah! Stupid email! Now I want to play DQIX again. Have I missed anything good on DQVC in the last few weeks?

Nope. We had 2 weeks of halloween gear put up and now it's royal week. I still check a couple times a week despite not playing, some kind of weird OCD habit. Can't chance it missing anything should it be put up, alas nothing like miracle sword up for sale that first couple weeks.

Over 110 hours and not one good grotto to farm for rare items or more importantly metal slimes. *sigh* I really should've just attended one of the events instead of doing this despressing act of hoping for it after wasting time going through a grotto.

Oxx

I'll jump back in when I'm done with Layton and get a bit more in before Golden Sun.

I hope we have some decent quests by then. I'm not sure if there's a lot more for me to do that doesn't require a serious amount of grinding.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I swear, this Off The Record quest has got to be one of the most annoying, more than any of the other job specific ones I've done. I suppose it's due to doing it so late in the game, but since Pincushion seems to only reflect about 1/5th of the damage done to a character, and by a certain point all characters will have so much innate resilience built up from their job skills, it was basically futile when I first tried it with high level characters. Even now I'm running around with characters I just set back to new level 1 vocations, all wearing nothing but their weapons, and am lucky enough to have a character who can do just about 100 damage in a first hit, but it's taking forever to do this quest.

donny2112

DarthWoo said:
I swear, this Off The Record quest has got to be one of the most annoying, more than any of the other job specific ones I've done. I suppose it's due to doing it so late in the game, but since Pincushion seems to only reflect about 1/5th of the damage done to a character, and by a certain point all characters will have so much innate resilience built up from their job skills, it was basically futile when I first tried it with high level characters. Even now I'm running around with characters I just set back to new level 1 vocations, all wearing nothing but their weapons, and am lucky enough to have a character who can do just about 100 damage in a first hit, but it's taking forever to do this quest.

Recruit a noob character without the intrinsic bonuses. Shelve your usual cast. :)

Top Bottom