• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

donny2112

Oxx said:
Urgh. Quest 147 is not exactly the warm welcome back I hoped for.

I had let some queue up, so I did 147-149 in a couple of days.
1) They relate to each other. 2) The story arc it's setting up is AWESOME!

Don't read the below spoiler, if you want the surprise.

I'm serious.

Last warning. Finding it out yourself is worth it.

Okay. Stlela is from the Gtitsih Knidgom and was somehow the reason for its dwonflal. She was exlied and deid csurnig the knidgom. She's rylaoty. <- It's in poorly hidden code, just in case you accidentally highlighted it.

Short answer: It's worth going through the hassle.

I just finished the main quest!!

So it says To Be Continued... but is it worth keeping going or am I just going to be playing for the rest of my life like crazy while my huge DS backlog sits there? Does anything significant happen in the post game story wise that would give me a "The End"?

donny2112

Edag Plata said:
Does anything significant happen in the post game story wise

Absolutely. Lots of cool story arcs shoot off, so if you liked the characters in the game, it's probably worth going through the quests to get that extra info. :)

Edag Plata said:
that would give me a "The End"?

I don't think so. Maybe when all year's worth of quests are available.

Oxx

Ha. I highlighted all but the last line of your spoilers, Donny.

I'm not massively concerned about that kind of thing, but I'll leave it.

It might be a while until I get around to those quests anyway. Spending a few hours on the train tomorrow so I might just run around a few grottoes.

donny2112

Oxx said:
Rare Weapons Fayre on DQVC.

Thanks. Went ahead and did the quest, too. This one is in the arc with the last three, but it seemed to negate my thinking about where the last three were pointing. Hmmm.

Tiktaalik

Sooo apparently Reggie is a big DQ9 fan.

http://kotaku.com/5688497/nintendo-boss-might-be-a-bigger-gamer-than-you

nrwua.jpg

Johnas

Oxx

Turn yo' brightness up, Reggie!

I've only played the main series DS releases so I'm fairly indifferent to most of the guests in my inn.

Oxx

Anyone going to exchange data with Jedward in London tomorrow?

I bet Reggie has better stats than those kids.

Salsa

Man i havent played any of the post-game stuff since i finished the game (after around 60 hours) months ago. Sold my lite but im getting an XL by the end of the month so i guess ill have my hands full.

Is there anything (besides items) that was like "this week only" to download or something like that ? or will i get all the extra missions and content by just going online once ?

Johnas

donny2112 said:
Yeah. Weaksause, Reggie! :lol

Edit:
Actually, I'm < 50 hours ahead of Reggie and only ~30 more victories. :eek:

My current stats:

Time spent playing: 350:15
Time spent in multiplayer: 00:00

Battle Victories: 8778
Times Alchemy Performed: 472
Accolades Earnt: 308
Quests Completed: 150
Grottoes Completed: 180
Guests Canvassed: 0

Defeated Monster List Completion: 92%
Wardrobe Completion: 71%
Item List Completion: 90%
Alchenomicon Completion: 78%

Surprisingly, I've enjoyed nearly all of that. Had one rough patch in the middle grinding for revocation, but otherwise it's been good times.

Oxx

Me:

Time spent playing: 246:07

Battle Victories: 7120
Times Alchemy Performed: 290
Accolades Earnt: 217
Quests Completed: 73
Grottoes Completed: 226

Defeated Monster List Completion: 95%
Wardrobe Completion: 63%
Item List Completion: 65%
Alchenomicon Completion: 55%

I think Reggie has an insurmountable lead in canvassing.

ghibli99

Johnas/Oxx: Nice! Damn, that's a lot of hours, but I've already racked up close to 130. I've put a decent dent into this w/ Legacy Bosses and doing quests/alchemy. I really didn't start much of the post-game stuff until about two weeks ago, but I've been near-obsessed with it since. :p

Time spent playing: 127:44
Time spent in multiplayer: 04:25

Battle Victories: 3085
Times Alchemy Performed: 326
Accolades Earnt: 120
Quests Completed: 66
Grottoes Completed: 61
Guests Canvassed: 7

Defeated Monster List Completion: 82%
Wardrobe Completion: 34%
Item List Completion: 57%
Alchenomicon Completion: 18%

Regarding Reggie, dude, I would LOVE to canvas at the Nintendo offices! :)

My current stats:

Time spent playing: 316:24
Time spent in multiplayer: 00:47

Battle Victories: 5502
Times Alchemy Performed: 519
Accolades Earnt: 291
Quests Completed: 150
Grottoes Completed: 363
Guests Canvassed: 67

Defeated Monster List Completion: 96%
Wardrobe Completion: 73%
Item List Completion: 91%
Alchenomicon Completion: 76%

Plus I've already revocated my character 10 times --- with the highest amount of revocation in a class being 4 times for the Gladiator.

I've also never cheated/used exploits such as the hoimi table or use action replays to get special maps. 100% legit!

Johnas

Mockingbird said:
I've also never cheated/used exploits such as the hoimi table or use action replays to get special maps. 100% legit!

I'm glad you brought that up, mine is all legit as well. Didn't even have any all-metal-anything maps to do that revocation.

I did use an FAQ for about five of the quests that were proving impossible to solve (mainly the wear special combination of equipment ones).

I never felt the need for the hoimi table myself, if you find a good enough grotto just keep repeating it and eventually you'll rack up all sorts of good stuff.

Oxx

The only things I have really 'cheated' on are checking maps for grotto locations and resources; finding out the drops for legacy bosses; and the occasional quest hint.

I should probably focus a bit more. Since coming back to the game all I have done is check DQVC, speak to some guests, and run through a couple of worthless grottoes.

The only stat I have progressed is time played!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I went to the event in London and came away with only 3 guests canvassed. Went after 12pm just to be certain to miss Jedward.

The special treasure map given away was one called Nokturnus's Map.

EDIT: There was apparently another map being given out but I never got it despite standing in the right area for 10 minutes. :mad:

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
What is hoimi table? I suppose I cheat like mad as far as using gold mail alchemy to get money to keep buying all the DQVC stuff. This week's is particularly bad with all the expensive weapons. I figure the really powerful stuff would never be part of another alchemy recipe, but out of paranoia I typically will still buy two if given the opportunity.

DarthWoo

Actually, on the topic of money again, is there any faster way to gaining money than the gold mail farming? I'd heard something about gem slimes, but they sound like they're probably rare.

DarthWoo said:
What is hoimi table? I suppose I cheat like mad as far as using gold mail alchemy to get money to keep buying all the DQVC stuff. This week's is particularly bad with all the expensive weapons. I figure the really powerful stuff would never be part of another alchemy recipe, but out of paranoia I typically will still buy two if given the opportunity.

No, that's not cheating. Hoimi means heal. By quick saving in front of a grotto boss then resuming the game you'll be able to manipulate whether the boss will give you a rare item drop or not by healing a certain number or times prior to starting the battle with it. By using this table you'll know how many times you'll need to do it and thus the super rare 2% drops now become certain 100% drops. This trick also works on grotto chest and alchemiracles.

First time playing a DQ game. Just unlocked the ability to change vocations. Pretty fun now that a whole bunch of sidequests opened up.

One question: any way to ensure a certain turn order between teammates aside from having agility ratings at the extreme ends of the spectrum? The game seems to randomize turn order when the agility ratings are close together. Kinda annoying when I'm trying to pull off a specific set of moves for a sidequest.

ghibli99

^^^ Yeah, that's kinda been the way the series has been forever. It is annoying at times, but I like that it can really change the outcome or your approach to certain battles. Welcome to the world of DQ, BTW. :)

As an update, I've revocated twice now, and my Mage is about to herself in a few hours. MKSs are so much easier to defeat in this game than even LMSs were in DQ8.

Regarding cheats/help, I use FAQs a lot in this game in the same way that I use them (and forums and friends) in MMOs. The game really does feel that vast and huge, and having to figure all this stuff out myself would've been unrealistic. I think some of the neatest tools have been the DD calculation tools, the grotto searcher, and many of the more specialized FAQs.

That Hoimi table thing is interesting. I may try that if there's something I'm after in particular, but since I'm not a 100% kind of player, that probably won't matter. Maps and gear haven't been an issue, but I do wish I was more lucky w/ orb drops, though.

donny2112

DarthWoo said:
That....was baffling. Seems like a rather confusing process.

It's taking advantage of the fact that the "randomness" of the engine is actually based on seed values that, once known, can then be used for predictions based on known patterns. The whole
heal
thing is just a matter of getting enough values to figure out which seed table is being used. From there, you would know what you'd be getting in terms of drops and
alchemiracles
. i.e.
The game's code was reverse engineered, so you can treat it like a program with known results instead of it actually being random.
:)

zigg

donny2112 said:
It's taking advantage of the fact that the "randomness" of the engine is actually based on seed values that, once known, can then be used for predictions based on known patterns. The whole
heal
thing is just a matter of getting enough values to figure out which seed table is being used. From there, you would know what you'd be getting in terms of drops and
alchemiracles
. i.e.
The game's code was reverse engineered, so you can treat it like a program with known results instead of it actually being random.
:)

I wonder if they'll take note of this and give DQX a real, effectively-unpredictable RNG.

Oxx

Don't stop, get rare drop
DQ blow my speakers up
Tonight I'ma fight 'til I beat the Wight Night
Tik Tok
250 hours on the clock
But my party don't stop, no

*Cough* But yeah, first game I have played over 250 hours of since Pokemon Blue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Finally got round to going online. Having only just used DQVC have I missed out on anything good that I'll never ever have a chance at getting again?

ghibli99

Made some good progress this weekend. Working my way through the
Dhoulmagus
and
Estark
maps and got some good drops in the process. I did go about 10 battles in a row w/o anything besides the medal drops, though. :p

I have 3 characters revocated, and my Sage is on her way (in the 80s now). Two of those characters are at about 60, so they'll be to +2 within the week.

I think I'm done w/ MKS hunting for now, and am going to spend some time on quests.

Also, what can you guys tell me about Luminary? Finally unlocked it, and am struggling to see what's so special about the class. Good revocation bonus or something? TIA.

stolin

My current stats:

Time spent playing: 328:21

Battle Victories: 5691
Times Alchemy Performed: 979
Accolades Earnt: 143
Quests Completed: 148
Grottoes Completed: 77

Defeated Monster List Completion: 87%
Wardrobe Completion: 64%
Item List Completion: 88%
Alchenomicon Completion: 74%

All 100% legit, 2x revocations on main. Starting to really focus on highest level grottoes for a while, then the Legacy Bosses. I'll keep playing every week until the 184 quests are completed and I'd like to have all the Completions at 100%.

RedSwirl

This game is going to be like $17 at Target on Black Friday. I intended to try out V and VIII first before playing this game but should I go ahead and go for it now?

zigg

RedSwirl said:
This game is going to be like $17 at Target on Black Friday. I intended to try out V and VIII first before playing this game but should I go ahead and go for it now?

Having played neither V nor VIII, I say yes! I paid net $20 for my copy (TRU gift card deal) and got such ridiculous value out of it.

No reason you can't go back and play those others another time.

depward

RedSwirl said:

I thank you for sharing this. Was thinking it was about time to give this a shot and was about to buy @ Amazon.

I just bought this game the other day, and holy cow! It is amazing. Just ridiculously in its depth and size.

So, is there anyone in the Seattle area playing this game that I could tag? I need peeps for my inn! Not to mention some good treasure maps...

DarthWoo

I've been putzing around
Bowhole
for a long time, even after
Corvus goes and screws up the Realm of the Almighty
since it seems to be the best place to level prior to the post-game. I'm trying to get all my characters to have at least 100 skill points in each vocation and shield, and then one or two weapons. Should I just go ahead and finish it and see if I can't find something faster in the post-game?

DarthWoo said:
I've been putzing around
Bowhole
for a long time, even after
Corvus goes and screws up the Realm of the Almighty
since it seems to be the best place to level prior to the post-game. I'm trying to get all my characters to have at least 100 skill points in each vocation and shield, and then one or two weapons. Should I just go ahead and finish it and see if I can't find something faster in the post-game?

Yes, just finish it. You don't need all those skills to beat him.

DarthWoo

someguyinahat said:
Yes, just finish it. You don't need all those skills to beat him.

Am I free to keep walking around the
Realm
afterward? Don't want to somehow miss out on the
sage job
quest.

YourMaster

DarthWoo said:
Am I free to keep walking around the
Realm
afterward? Don't want to somehow miss out on the
sage job
quest.

That job is as easy to get after finishing the game as it is before, and you will not run the risk of not getting any items because of it.

Oxx

large.jpg

I'm trying hard to think of a US equivalent of how embarrassing having these two promoting DQ in the UK is.

Heidi and Spencer from The Hills dressed up as Bianca and Hero from DQV?

Jessica Simpson dressed as Torneko?

ghibli99

^^^ That's pretty bad. :(

As an update on where I'm at, I've revocated my Warrior and Martial Artist twice now (both are +2) and my Mage & Sage once (my Mage is getting close to a +2). MKS hunting has me hitting 90s in just a few hours w/ Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust. I do regret revocating the Warrior twice, though, as I should have switched to a better class. Oh well, it's not bad since it doesn't take all that long, and I did get all those skill points to buff all the class-specific trees and other weapons.

Long-term, I want to get all the class-specific skill trees to 100 for every character (getting there). Along with that, I want to revocate every class so that I can get the medals. But after that, I'm probably just going to just stick w/ Gladiator, Martial Artist, Mage, and Sage as my main party and see if I get to +9. That all could take a while, but I guess that's the beauty of this game: you can just keep on keeping on. :)

Last night I tried that one Warrior quest where you have to Whistle to enrage an enemy and then take them out w/ a regular critical hit. WTF. In an hour, I got *1*. Ugh.

Aside from that, still having a blast!

But after that, I'm probably just going to just stick w/ Gladiator, Martial Artist, Mage, and Sage as my main party and see if I get to +9.

Sage and gladiator, I totally get that.
Martial Artist, you want the speed maybe, it's understandable.

But mage? I was pretty sure there were better options out there.

Oxx

I've been doing a bit of grinding recently.

I now have:

Armamentalist+3
Paladin+2
Sage+2
Ranger+2
Mage+1
Priest+1
Warrior+1

Currently working on Luminary, Minstrel, Martial Artist, and building Armamentalist up again.

I don't know what I am doing.

Top Bottom