• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

tim1138

Can someone explain to me how the Grotto map system works? After putting the game down for a few months I've been playing pretty regularly again and I thought as I would beat Grottos I would get higher level maps, but that hasn't been the case. Today I beat a level 38 map and got a level 24 map as a reward. Beat the level 24 and got a level 16 as a reward. All of these were done with a party all leveled in the low to mid 50's. Is it just random?

thomaser

tim1138 said:
Can someone explain to me how the Grotto map system works? After putting the game down for a few months I've been playing pretty regularly again and I thought as I would beat Grottos I would get higher level maps, but that hasn't been the case. Today I beat a level 38 map and got a level 24 map as a reward. Beat the level 24 and got a level 16 as a reward. All of these were done with a party all leveled in the low to mid 50's. Is it just random?

No, it's not totally random. You get maps based on the level of the map you just beat, plus the level of your main character, times the amount of times your main character has revocated (gone from level 99 back to 1). This gives you a number that determines in which "quality bracket" the next map will be in. Within this bracket (say, quality-points 80-120) you'll randomly get a map from, for example, levels 44-68, with enemies levels 4-8, chests levels 3-6 and bosses 1-5 (these numbers are just something I took out of my head). So you'll get maps with a higher or lower level than the one you just beat (within the bracket), but lower doesn't necessarily mean worse since you can still get harder enemies or better chests. There's a very detailed thread about this on Gamefaqs.

tim1138

thomaser said:
No, it's not totally random. You get maps based on the level of the map you just beat, plus the level of your main character, times the amount of times your main character has revocated (gone from level 99 back to 1). This gives you a number that determines in which "quality bracket" the next map will be in. Within this bracket (say, quality-points 80-120) you'll randomly get a map from, for example, levels 44-68, with enemies levels 4-8, chests levels 3-6 and bosses 1-5 (these numbers are just something I took out of my head). So you'll get maps with a higher or lower level than the one you just beat (within the bracket), but lower doesn't necessarily mean worse since you can still get harder enemies or better chests. There's a very detailed thread about this on Gamefaqs.

In other words just keep beating them, gotcha.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Well, going to hope my glitch was an isolated incident. I've gotten to the post-game. Having no access to a MKS grotto, are there any good post-game areas better than the Bowhole for fast exp?

ghibli99

Mockingbird said:
He is. I got the map from a tag. The highest I've managed to grind a boss myself is like 33 or something -- and it's also Dhoulmagus.
Holy crap... lvl. 99 Dhoulmagus does sound pretty insane (and not fun). I only have 2 bosses up to 16, and that was to get the other legacy boss map drops, which happened sooner rather than later thankfully. The others are only at 1 or 2.

tim1138

Loving this week's shop theme, I've been able to buy the shield, sword, gauntlets, and sollerets. I've seen the helmet for sale two times but I already had one as a quest reward.
This morning I finally get a higher level Grotto map as well, I've been running a level 50 I got in tag mode from one the summers events and it finally spit out a level 53. :D

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So four hours in I just realized Patty provides new party members. :lol I just beat
Morag
alone.

This has made my curious; how possible is it to beat the game just using your main? If you only have one character do you earn exp faster? Aka if an enemy is worth 60EXP, do they gain 60 while in a group of four each would earn 15? Making generic party members isn't something I'm too excited to do, especially since they'll be starting at level 1 while my main is 16.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ICallItFutile said:
So four hours in I just realized Patty provides new party members. :lol I just beat
Morag
with one party member.

This has made my curious; how possible is it to beat the game just using your main? If you only have one character do you earn exp faster? Aka if an enemy is worth 60EXP, do they gain 60 while in a group of four each would earn 15? Making generic party members isn't something I'm too excited to do, especially since they'll be starting at level 1 while my main is 16.
It is possible to beat the game as one character. There's a guide on GameFAQ that gives suggestions of how to level up your character but the first suggestion is to play through the game once so you know what to be prepared for. I'd be tempted to try it if the game allowed for multiple saves.

EXP is based on levels. I believe the formula for each member is ((total EXP/total of all levels)*individual's level)

ghibli99

I decided to run my lvl. 88 grotto at lunch today; it's water, rank A. It was pretty weak all around. Lots of MKSs on the first few levels, but not much to write home about beyond that. Good loot, and Fowleye at the end... again. I was hoping for a good drop to get me closer to Greygnarl, but the stupid thing dropped a lvl. 85. Ugh. :p

ICallItFutile said:
Morag
alone.

That'd be interesting, but I would much rather have the ability to dish out good damage and do things like heal and provide defensive spells in battle as well. I'm sure folks have done it, though; the critical path isn't difficult compared to past DQs. As generic as they are, I'm pretty attached to my party... more so than in some past DQs.

Oxx

Oh man. So much effort expended running around collecting stuff to try and fill in more of the alchemomicon.

Up to 64%.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
BGBW said:
It is possible to beat the game as one character. There's a guide on GameFAQ that gives suggestions of how to level up your character but the first suggestion is to play through the game once so you know what to be prepared for. I'd be tempted to try it if the game allowed for multiple saves.

EXP is based on levels. I believe the formula for each member is ((total EXP/total of all levels)*individual's level)

I guess I'll make party members, as not to make this game harder than it has to be. I'd blame the game for my misundertanding, but I assumed Patty was for setting up multiplayer. I realized my error when I returned to Stornway to find Pavo.

Oxx

ghibli99 said:
Nice! I'm at a measly 21%.

I'm steadily working through the recipes I have, but there are still quite a few blanks.

Not sure where those recipes would be. Quests? Special events?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ICallItFutile said:
I guess I'll make party members, as not to make this game harder than it has to be. I'd blame the game for my misundertanding, but I assumed Patty was for setting up multiplayer. I realized my error when I returned to Stornway to find Pavo.
Well it also took me a while to realise I needed to make my party members as well so don't worry about it. After the first addition I thought more would be allowed after certain plot points rather than being allowed to add all three new members in one go.

DLC Quest #125 Spoiler
Has anyone bothered making Patty a permanent member of their party?

ghibli99

Oxx said:
I'm steadily working through the recipes I have, but there are still quite a few blanks.

Yeah, and I have yet to get there, but I'm guessing the alchemiracle items populate the list if you get them to happen, which would account for 22 slots.

Oxx said:

I know there are several recipes in the upper floors of the inn once you get 25 tags...did you get those yet?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
someguyinahat said:
I know there are several recipes in the upper floors of the inn once you get 25 tags...did you get those yet?
Well I can guess I write off ever learning those.

Oxx

ghibli99 said:
Yeah, and I have yet to get there, but I'm guessing the alchemiracle items populate the list if you get them to happen, which would account for 22 slots.

someguyinahat said:

0 tags for me.

I guess I could always just read the recipes online. Do you even get recipes for the alchemiracle or metal slime -> liquid metal stuff?

BGBW said:
DLC Quest #125 Spoiler
Has anyone bothered making Patty a permanent member of their party?

I took her out for a bit of a test-run, but I did miss my emotionless creations.

Johnas

BGBW said:
Well I can guess I write off ever learning those.

Here's an apparent list of the Stornway Inn recipes, I assume it's complete. I used this in conjunction with the recipe FAQ at Gamefaqs to fill in the holes in my alchenomicon. There's no way I'll ever get to the upper floors of the inn, either legitimately or by cheating.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16269

Also, I believe it's 30 tags, not that that matters.

Oxx said:
I guess I could always just read the recipes online. Do you even get recipes for the alchemiracle or metal slime -> liquid metal stuff?

Yeah dude. Catch up on your questing. ;)

Oxx

Johnas said:
Yeah dude. Catch up on your questing. ;)

I probably should. I've only done 73 quests total. They're my least favourite aspect of the game.

Although the story quests of the post-game have been welcome.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ugh with such a huge level gap, it's going to take a long time to level up my new party members. :\ I wish I could just put my main aside to level them alone.

Johnas

Oxx said:
I probably should. I've only done 73 quests total. They're my least favourite aspect of the game.

Although the story quests of the post-game have been welcome.

I didn't really care for them either at first, but they kind of grew on me. What's nice is that where I am in the post-game, with nearly everything done that I can do at this point, I can usually solve each week's new quest really quickly, sometimes immediately if it depends on having a certain item.

I want to say three or four of the post-game quests released so far have each given me a new group of recipes.

ghibli99

I've now revocated every vocation once for all the medals, have my main up to at least level 40 for the class-specific quests I still need to do, and almost have everyone back up to 99 for their primary vocations. I'm pretty surprised that I'm not burnt out on grinding away MKSs all night long. I still get a thrill when Hatchet Man or Thunder Thrust connect! :) Anyway, it's finally time to get back into quests... I have a lot of catching up to do.

Oxx

I'll get back to the quests eventually.

With the post-game I seem to focus on one area really intently before moving on to the next. I can't multitask at all.

After spending a while with alchemy today I'll probably do a little Nimzo grinding next.

DarthWoo

Does anyone else make it a point to try and steal items from every grotto boss, even if it means getting hammered for a few rounds of the fight?

DarthWoo said:
Does anyone else make it a point to try and steal items from every grotto boss, even if it means getting hammered for a few rounds of the fight?

No, mainly because the steal item is different from the regular drops and usually isn't all that worth it.

evangd007

Just finished this wonderful, wonderful game.

The battle records screen is really lonely now :(
Now how do I get the express back?

donny2112

evangd007 said:
Now how do I get the express back?

Just deal with the fact that you're a mortal forever and will never see Stella and the Express again.

Just kidding. Play the next obvious section. :)

someguyinahat said:
No, mainly because the steal item is different from the regular drops and usually isn't all that worth it.

actually you can steal the rare 2% drops too.

One of my characters has now mastered every skill and is level 99 in every class so I've retired her for the thief behind the counter. I think what I'll do is try and max out all the recruitable story-related party members while I keep working on my main character (revocate 10 times for each class -- or until I get bored of the game).

DarthWoo

Since before I finished the main storyline, I'd been wondering what exactly a Luminary was. Now I find they're basically glorified dancers with fewer spells than minstrels? I haven't gotten a grotto yet that will let me do the quest to unlock it, but are they at all worthwhile as a class?

Note to self: never play this game while tired.

Spent an hour grinding metal king slimes, found a gold bar in a chest, pondered a quick save but instead returned to Stornway where I deposited my money, went to the inn, and then turned off the DS without going to the church. What a waste.

Since before I finished the main storyline, I'd been wondering what exactly a Luminary was. Now I find they're basically glorified dancers with fewer spells than minstrels? I haven't gotten a grotto yet that will let me do the quest to unlock it, but are they at all worthwhile as a class?

Not really. Their coup de grace is pretty cool, though.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about picking Dragon Quest 9 up. I have one quick question, as I have never played a DQ game before, how difficult is DQ9? I was hoping for some fairly difficult/strategic combat.

Apologies if the answer to my question is buried in the thread.

Johnas

Do The Mario said:
I was thinking about picking Dragon Quest 9 up. I have one quick question, as I have never played a DQ game before, how difficult is DQ9? I was hoping for some fairly difficult/strategic combat.

Apologies if the answer to my question is buried in the thread.

Boss battles benefit a lot from strategic combat (versus pure grinding to raise levels and stats), and some of the post-game bosses absolutely require that.

Generally speaking, most of the battles with regular enemies are fairly straightforward, although you'll find the occasional element choice/buff or debuff/stat alteration etc. to be useful.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Johnas said:
Boss battles benefit a lot from strategic combat (versus pure grinding to raise levels and stats), and some of the post-game bosses absolutely require that.

Generally speaking, most of the battles with regular enemies are fairly straightforward, although you'll find the occasional element choice/buff or debuff/stat alteration etc. to be useful.

Thanks for that.

DarthWoo

I just saw that Target has this game for a steal on Friday, and I have a friend who works there who I could get to buy me a copy possibly. How far into the game does one have to get to be able to tag? It's almost certain that I'll never find 30 people with this game to tag, but I'd like to expand the inn, and thought if I got a spare copy of the game, borrowed my friend's DS and just repeatedly created and deleted a file on the spare copy, that might be a good way to do it. After I'm done I could gift the game to my friend.

Edit: Just checked the DQVC for the day and got both the metal slime armor and sollerets. :D Sadly that's actually a duplicate solleret, but good to have another one I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
DarthWoo said:
You can wear a tophat.

Oxx

Fuck.

As soon as the legacy bosses learn how to attack three times in a single turn it's all over. I can't live with it. It goes from a simple 9 turn victory when they could attack twice, to a non-stop battle for survival.

Guess this is my cue to abandon the bosses and try some quests.

donny2112

Oxx said:
As soon as the legacy bosses learn how to attack three times in a single turn it's all over. I can't live with it. It goes from a simple 9 turn victory when they could attack twice, to a non-stop battle for survival.

Yes. I think I beat Estark once at three turns just to prove to myself that I could do it, but decided it was too frustrating to continue down that path. Since it's only like
Level 40
, it's possible that the # of turns could increase from there, too. :O

It'd be better if there was a way to prevent the spell that gets rid of all your bonuses. :(

Oxx

So annoying. I really wanted all the Gothan clothing as well.

At least I have 9 turbans.

Edit: And that last death was apparently my tenth... so at least I got an accolade out of it.

ghibli99

Started working through my quest list again. I'm on #044 (A Climber for a Climber)... this is just an annoying one. I've gotten 3 99cm drops in nearly an hour and a half of trying. Stupid. The number of MKSs I could've killed instead of doing this is making me hate this quest even more. Hope I get the good drop soon.

I also had my DS canvassing all day today at Disneyland. Not a single tag even though it looked like every person living in the state was there, including a ton of tourists. Guess my only chance will be to hit a comic/anime/game con.

Might start filling out my alchemy completion list like Oxx, too.

donny2112

ghibli99 said:
Might start filling out my alchemy completion list like Oxx, too.

Did that until I got to 50%
figured there'd be an accolade
, but then it just seemed like a waste, since it wasn't making any items that I'd actually want to use. :/ Now I'm going back and doing weapon quests for weapons I don't use to fill out those quests. Probably should put it on hold again for a few weeks, but the rare weapons and metal slime stuff made me pull it out again. :lol

Top Bottom