• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Oxx

Trying to make progress with alchemy is a bit of a chore.

Hours of picking-up drops and half-inching items just to see your percentage increase a couple of percentage points.

ghibli99

No metal slime anything today. :p Oh well!

I'll probably just do one small section/page at a time w/ the alchemy... I'd much rather work on getting a Greygnarl map and get the rest of the legacy bosses I don't have.

dock

Is there any method for me to get extra maps without meeting up with people?
I've been playing for 30 hours or so and only have one map.

STG

dock said:
Is there any method for me to get extra maps without meeting up with people?
I've been playing for 30 hours or so and only have one map.
beat the boss from that map, you get a new one, everytime

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I feel like I got jipped on the metal slime equipment. In the end, I ended up with 3 helms, 3 sollerets, 1 armor and 1 gauntlet. I take it that there was still a shield and some sort of leggings to go, and then however many metal slime weapons there are?

Johnas

DarthWoo said:
I feel like I got jipped on the metal slime equipment. In the end, I ended up with 3 helms, 3 sollerets, 1 armor and 1 gauntlet. I take it that there was still a shield and some sort of leggings to go, and then however many metal slime weapons there are?

There's also a shield, a sword, and a spear. No leggings.

Don't worry too much about it, later on if you get a good enough grotto you'll be able to accumulate more metal equipment, albeit probably rather dlowly.

Quest rewards yielded me a shield, a helm, and one other metal item, if I remember rightly.

I don't know exactly what they have planned, but I wouldn't be shocked to see another metal slime week. DQVC will keep going until at least July.

Cheerilee

DarthWoo said:
I just saw that Target has this game for a steal on Friday, and I have a friend who works there who I could get to buy me a copy possibly. How far into the game does one have to get to be able to tag? It's almost certain that I'll never find 30 people with this game to tag, but I'd like to expand the inn, and thought if I got a spare copy of the game, borrowed my friend's DS and just repeatedly created and deleted a file on the spare copy, that might be a good way to do it. After I'm done I could gift the game to my friend.
Someone in this thread tried that a while back. It was apparently VERY tedious.

You can buy a cheap R4 for about $5, a 2GB microSD card for about $5 (or an 8GB for $10), and download saves from the internet and tag those saves.

Neither method is more moral or less cheating than the other. You are expected to tag real people, not spam and delete new games, and you are expected to meet people in the real world, not online.

But one method is faster and easier, gives you some cool maps, and gives you a shiny new toy to keep and use responsibly (you can load ROMs of the games you legitimately own onto it, you don't have to steal them).

Oxx

Boo-urns!

'He who does not drop another grotto map' was the boss at the bottom of that level 97 dungeon, so I couldn't piggy-back off that one to get another high-class map.

I did find a couple of previously unseen monsters down there, though. So at least I'm slowly creeping towards completing that aspect.

ruby_onix said:
Someone in this thread tried that a while back. It was apparently VERY tedious.
That was me. Tedious doesn't even begin to describe it. But I got it down to just over an hour per each new game to get to the Quester's Rest. Once you've done it a few times, you basically just go on auto pilot.

30+ hours for an upgraded inn is a lot of work though. Just thinking about it is making me woozy.

Oxx

Footwear Fayre this week. I had an interesting collection of boots. Some of the stuff you get from legacy bosses. Gothan boots without having to fight Nimzo again!? Yes please.

Inn guest is from DQVI (I think).

DarthWoo

Oxx said:
Boo-urns!

'He who does not drop another grotto map' was the boss at the bottom of that level 97 dungeon, so I couldn't piggy-back off that one to get another high-class map.

I did find a couple of previously unseen monsters down there, though. So at least I'm slowly creeping towards completing that aspect.

Since the only way I'm getting new maps is by completing grottoes, as opposed to tagging, does that mean I'll eventually run out of grottoes?

Oxx

DarthWoo said:
Since the only way I'm getting new maps is by completing grottoes, as opposed to tagging, does that mean I'll eventually run out of grottoes?

Nah. There's just the one boss who doesn't drop one.

And you can always replay an already-completed grotto to get another map.

DarthWoo

I also wondered if grottoes ever have red chests. I've gone through probably 15 grottoes so far, and while I've gotten some of what would normally be relatively expensive equipment via DQVC from blue chests, I've never seen any reds. It makes me wonder what the other columns in the grotto completion list for each map are.

JayDubya

Banned
I know this is the height of laziness, but please forgive me. We're up to something like 6000 posts and I started just going through them all again but I'm just going to go more direct and ask, since this should be simple information for anyone really into the game...

I just bought this at Amazon; I kept missing all the smaller sales throughout the year and now it was finally available at a price point I'd bite for.

I'm excited, but I noticed that some people have put in 240 hours or somesuch on this game and still don't have 100% completion. What is that all about? The average DQ game is much shorter. Is there like a lot of post main quest content or something? Collectibles? Rare items and secret dungeons or something? I had heard the main game was actually pretty short, but I guess I heard wrong?

Is multiplayer local only, friend code only, or what?

Obviously there's some benefit to this "Tag mode" I keep seeing mentioned, but it's hard to find other players with the game running in that mode if you're not in Japan. Maybe less difficult now that the game is on super sale, one hopes?

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of "Newbie DQIX Player Primer."

DarthWoo

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff to do after the main story. I'd imagine that you could breeze through the main story in a couple dozen hours or less. Even now, new quests, some story-related, get released on a weekly basis. There are new quests slated to be released up until at least July of 2011. Besides all those, there are various collection related things to complete, like the bestiary, wardrobe, and alchemy. Then there is also revocating your character like mad, which I sadly haven't gotten to yet.

Oxx

Yeah, there's a ton of post-game content. Most of it catered to the obsessive collector or loot-whore, but there are some story quests as well.

None of it is really necessary in order to beat the main quest, which is still the usual DQ stuff.

JayDubya

Banned
How do you get the new quests? July 2011 sounds like this game'll have some legs, yeah.

Do you like download all of them that have been released so far at once? I've never even hooked up my DS to the internet, so, :lol.

DarthWoo

JayDubya said:
How do you get the new quests?

Just connect to the DQVC.
You'll find it once you move Erinn to the Inn in Stornway.
I believe you'll be updated with every quest that has been released to date, and just check back every week. There's good stuff you can buy through DQVC too, so keep some money around for it.

fates

Oxx said:
Footwear Fayre this week. I had an interesting collection of boots. Some of the stuff you get from legacy bosses. Gothan boots without having to fight Nimzo again!? Yes please.

Inn guest is from DQVI (I think).

Yup, it's Muriel (Milly for us) from DQ6.

jgkspsx

JayDubya said:
I'm excited, but I noticed that some people have put in 240 hours or somesuch on this game and still don't have 100% completion. What is that all about? The average DQ game is much shorter. Is there like a lot of post main quest content or something? Collectibles? Rare items and secret dungeons or something? I had heard the main game was actually pretty short, but I guess I heard wrong?
It may be an oxymoron, but it's sort of like a single-player MMO...? You could argue that the meat of the game, and most of the actual battle strategizing, happens in the postgame. Quests, grottoes, legacy bosses.

Oxx

I've been trying to catch-up with all the quests I have missed/avoided so far.

Quest 44... *puts gun to head*

donny2112

Oxx said:
I've been trying to catch-up with all the quests I have missed/avoided so far.

Quest 44... *puts gun to head*

Someone else complained about that one. I don't remember it being that hard. Probably just random lengths, but it only seemed to take an hour or two. 12 or less, I'd think.
Boomerang
weapon quest was very bad, though. :lol

Oxx

It was just a huge pain in the arse trying to get 4 level 99 characters to deal about 100 points of damage every time.

But that's all in the past now. 23 quests in the books today. Lots of alchemy done. New legacy boss found... Still so much to do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I spent the evening with a friend walking round London so being the smart fella I am I took my DS with me to canvas for guest.

Not a sausage. Not one bleedin' sausage in the whole of the West End.

Nintendo needs to get Jedward to do an advert where all they say is "Make sure you canvas for guests or we'll release a Christmas single". God damn.

DarthWoo

On the topic of repeating grottoes again, will the boss at the bottom be the same if I do it again? I found one that apparently was the target of a quest, but I hadn't gained the quest by the time I was in that grotto. On the plus side, it was the first appearance of metal king slimes for me. Sadly, they seem just as bad about fleeing as the liquid metal slimes. :(

Oxx

I think the characteristics of the grotto must be set in stone when you get the map. The ones I have replayed have all been the same.

Edit: Woo hoo! Metal Slime Sollerets on the DQVC footwear sale. But do I now use them for that quest or upgrade them with alchemy?

DarthWoo

How many treasure maps can you have anyway? I don't want to be hunting for a MKS grotto through map hunting only to someday find that I can't hold any more.

Oxx

Hmm... I'm not sure if there's a limit. It's super-easy to discard unwanted maps, though.

I've caught up with the post-game story quests. Interrreesssttttiiinnnggg.

Once I got that awful Gortress Guerilla stuff out the way there was some really cool stuff.

Oxx said:
I think the characteristics of the grotto must be set in stone when you get the map. The ones I have replayed have all been the same.

Edit: Woo hoo! Metal Slime Sollerets on the DQVC footwear sale. But do I now use them for that quest or upgrade them with alchemy?

Unless I'm Lvl 99 fighting Legacy Bosses, I always wear Elevating Shoes for the 5% EXP gain per battle. You won't need the item you'll get from the Metal Slime Sollerets trade until the final quest though, so you might be able to find another pair in the span of that time.

Oxx

Oh well. The question served no practical purpose anyway. It was just whether I wanted to add a +1 to my quest-log or a +1 to my wardrobe.

I have all my completion-percentages over 70% now. Still a long way to go...

donny2112

DarthWoo said:
How many treasure maps can you have anyway?

100. Was churning out grottos looking for S-level fire/water versions, and had a lot of extras. Was surprised when it told me I couldn't carry anymore. :lol

Oxx said:
Oh well. The question served no practical purpose anyway. It was just whether I wanted to add a +1 to my quest-log or a +1 to my wardrobe.

I have all my completion-percentages over 70% now. Still a long way to go...

Well if that's what you want, you could do both if you go ahead and complete the quest:lol By completing the quest you'll get an item that'll be +1 to your wardrobe.

Oxx

True. I would have liked to have been running around in the full Liquid-Metal outfit, though.

The look of my characters has gone relatively unchanged for quite a while now. I feel like they have finally settled into their roles.

nli10

Oxx said:
Haven't really had a good look, but Nintendo UK have done a Facebook page for DQIX:

http://www.facebook.com/dragonquestcommunity?v=wall

Yeah - I went to one of their events yesterday (purely by chance - it was in a shopping centre in Birmingham).

I got the Nocturnus map at LVL 1 and my first tag too! Need to tag my cousin as he has it but we've only played multiplayer.

I also got some metal slime stickers they were giving away. :D

Oxx

There was an event in Birmingham!? And nobody publicised it!? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

52532_145297032184637_144316068949400_215521_3971367_o.jpg

Edit: Looks like today was the last day. Arse. I might have considered going if I had realised earlier today that it was still going.

Then again, I was in Birmingham last weekend and it was nightmarishly busy.

Oxx

Oh wait. I don't need to go to a special event to get Estark's map. Thanks Santa!

*Oxx's rage subsides*

Edit: Okay, looks like DQ isn't too popular on the weekends... and I don't want to treble or quadruple post, so I'll keep editing the old ones like a crazy man.

- These weapon quests suck
- Nothing sweeter than using a single, randomly-picked grotto to complete 3 obtuse quests
- I really wish I hadn't lost/discarded my Miracle blade

Giolon

I finally beat DQIX last night. It took me over 74 hours! My party was Mage (44), Warrior (50), Ranger (48), Sage (41). At least 10 hours of my total was revocating my Minstrel->Mage, and my former Mage->Sage right before hitting the final area and grinding them up to ~Lvl 38 on Liquid Metal Slimes. My god Sages are OP.

Now this whole Grotto thing. How do I get better ones? I keep running them, and 90% of the time the boss is Shogum, and I only ever get a map that's level 9-12.

Lard

Banned
I don't know anyone near me (in the city I mean) who is playing this.

How much content am I going to miss if I don't find anyone online?

Oxx

Giolon said:
Now this whole Grotto thing. How do I get better ones? I keep running them, and 90% of the time the boss is Shogum, and I only ever get a map that's level 9-12.

The grotto stuff might take a while to get going. I think the quality of the map is based on the heroes level and the number of times he/she has revocated. Honestly they aren't particularly fun, but they are a means to an end if you want to get better equipment, level characters, and see new enemies.

Lard said:
I don't know anyone near me (in the city I mean) who is playing this.

How much content am I going to miss if I don't find anyone online?

I guess there are some exclusive alchemy recipes you get from tagging other players, but you can probably just read the recipes online.

It would seem that at least some of the maps you get from the special IRL events will show up in the game as well, so I'm less concerned about that aspect.

Lard

Banned
Oxx said:
I guess there are some exclusive alchemy recipes you get from tagging other players, but you can probably just read the recipes online.

It would seem that at least some of the maps you get from the special IRL events will show up in the game as well, so I'm less concerned about that aspect.

Yeah, I was wondering about any maps that I might miss.
Thanks.

ghibli99

Alright, my friend finally got a grotto map w/ Greygnarl, which I grabbed this morning. Now the real work begins. :)

Aaaaand, I still haven't gotten the right drop for Quest #044. At first it seemed like the lengths were increasing steadily by a random number, but as soon as I got 99cm and then the next one was 6cm, I wanted to chuck my DS across the room. My friend got it after about 10 battles, but for me, nothing. Four 90~99cm ones... ugh.

Good stuff in the store this week! The metal slime one last week was a bit disappointing... I got the shoes like 3 times, 2 days had nothing but non-rare alchemy crap and gear, and the other two metal items were ones I already had. Pretty weak, but still good for throwing in the pot for easy funds.

Oh, and I beat DQ8 on Saturday! :)

Oxx

97% complete monster list. 9 slots left. 5 of them are legacy bosses. I guess I should probably research what I'm missing rather than randomly fumble around.

Johnas

Oxx said:
97% complete monster list. 9 slots left. 5 of them are legacy bosses. I guess I should probably research what I'm missing rather than randomly fumble around.

The others are probably yet-to-be-seen story-related bosses, I'd guess, depending on where they are in the list.

Oxx

Johnas said:
The others are probably yet-to-be-seen story-related bosses, I'd guess, depending on where they are in the list.

7 of them are on the last couple of pages.

The two 'regular' enemies I appear to be missing are
Wonder Pyrtle and Widow's Pique
apparently.

Not sure which flavour grotto I'll find them in.

Johnas

I'm actually behind you guys on the monster list, I still just have 92%.

Had a really nice grotto run last night with a Metal Slime Sword, Metal Slime Helm, and a Deft Dagger (first time to get that one). Also grinded up to 1 million gold pieces to get me through DQVC for hopefully a few weeks.

Top Bottom