• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Oxx

Thanks, ghibli.

I was analyzing some of the new grotto map names I have last night and one of them had Metal King Slimes at 100%. Now that's just a 100% chance of encountering them at some point, isn't it? Not that all enemies are MKS?

donny2112

Oxx said:
Now that's just a 100% chance of encountering them at some point, isn't it? Not that all enemies are MKS?

Correct. MKS appear at certain enemy rankings which can be predicted with floor/starting rank enemy/grotto type combinations.

ghibli99

Johnas said:
Had a really nice grotto run last night with a Metal Slime Sword, Metal Slime Helm, and a Deft Dagger (first time to get that one). Also grinded up to 1 million gold pieces to get me through DQVC for hopefully a few weeks.
Nice haul!

I did the item alchemy/sell grind a few weeks ago. Took quite a while to get up to a half-million. I'm now down to 150k after the last few DQVC visits, and will have to go at it again. Damn alchemy pot and its 9 item limit! At this point, though, I guess it would make more sense to do some high-level Thunder Thrust/Hatchet Man grotto hunts for Gem Slimes... and maybe get some good chest/boss drops while I'm at it.

I haven't run the Greygnarl map yet... hopefully today at lunch!

Oxx

Having some trouble finding an S-rank cave so I'll probably just grind a few bosses for a while.

Just cracked 300 hours...

ghibli99

Oxx said:
Just cracked 300 hours...
Nice! I think I'm almost at the 200 hour mark. I've definitely slowed down a lot this week.

Kind of a cool little thing: when my friend and I canvassed yesterday, his playtime was 222:22. :)

Oxx

I got a couple of useful pieces from today's DQVC.

I think I might have burnt myself out a bit over the last few days of questing and grinding. I lot of the things I have left to do now seem super-annoying.

ghibli99

So after playing my Greygnarl map and trying about 8 times to get him to drop the Legacy Boss map (and getting nothing but Yggdrasil Leaves), I decided to try the Hoimi Table. It worked, and I now have the
Dragonlord
map! I actually got really excited knowing that I can do this now... the way I see it, if this can cut down my monotonous boss grinding and random hopes for Alchemiracles, I'm OK with that. It still takes a decent amount of planning and effort to get this to work, and it's easy to make a small mistake that will yield you nothing... and you still have to grind Legacy Bosses up, which is no walk in the park once they start gaining more abilities and extra turns per round.

Now if only I could get that damn 100cm+ drop for quest #044. Yes, still working on that one, can you believe it? :(

ghibli99

Oxx said:
That's the quest with the Treevils, right?
Yep... the reward for the effort isn't even worth it, so I'm just doing it for the sake of completing stuff.

Broke into the 90s at lunch today w/ a Platinum Abyss of Evil Lv. 91 map, which is a Cave... hopefully Rank S! We'll see tonight.

Oxx

Does anybody have a list of what vocation I need to be when I talk to each guest in the inn to get the item?

And the other variable is talking to them on my birthday, isn't it?

I think I'm finally really close to beating this game after starting it on its release date. It's been a pretty awesome ride, been loving some of the late game stuff!

Johnas

Oxx said:
Does anybody have a list of what vocation I need to be when I talk to each guest in the inn to get the item?

I read somewhere that each guest has 4 items: 1 for initially engaging them in conversation, 1 for being a certain job while talking to them, 1 for talking to them on your birthday, and 1 for talking to them after you have canvassed 30 guests and opened the other floors of the inn.

For the birthday, just change it in-game in the menu (Miscellaneous -> Profile Settings), that's all you need to do. It doesn't matter what day is set on the DS itself.

If you keep a close eye on DQVC, I think sooner or later you'll see some of those items there. I'm sure you've seen different characters' footwear through the course of this week.

I haven't run across anything specifying what job pertains to which character.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Apart from Hero level and times revocated, is the level (just the number, not first three parts of its name) of a grotto the only other variable that influences the next map's quality (including all parts of its title)? I've only ever found one MKS map so far, and it's something like Gold Waterway of Dread 58. My highest level map is 71, so should I just keep redoing that one until I get a higher level one?

Johnas

DarthWoo said:
Apart from Hero level and times revocated, is the level (just the number, not first three parts of its name) of a grotto the only other variable that influences the next map's quality (including all parts of its title)? I've only ever found one MKS map so far, and it's something like Gold Waterway of Dread 58. My highest level map is 71, so should I just keep redoing that one until I get a higher level one?

That is correct. Just keep in mind that the number of times revocated is only the highest number of revocations within one job, if you have Hero a +7 Gladiator and a +3 Minstrel for example, the number used to calculate the next dungeon will be 7, not 10. It's not the total, just the highest stand-alone number of revocations.

You probably know all that, but I thought I'd clarify anyway.

You might do well to keep finishing that one until you get a map with Metal King Slimes that also has a lot of open space. I had a water grotto with quite a bit of wide open space that was helpful in dodging Slugly Betsies while I waited for a MKS to appear.

I never did get a map with all MKS on a single floor.

Oxx

I got a level 57 water map with quite a few MKS relatively early on and about 150 hours and 200 grottoes later it's still my best option for grinding.

I'm kinda disappointed with the quality of maps I have been getting at +3, but I suppose they're not really gonna give up the good stuff when there's another bunch of times to revocate.

I should probably get focussed and get my Hoimi on. I'm sure it makes sense after you have done it a couple of times.

Okay, judging from the Zoom list and the Defeated Monster List, I think I'm nearing the end of the main story. But I'm getting my ass handed to me by the 3rd of the triumvirate of lieutenants. That dude does a crapton of damage to my characters and the flinching doesn't help. :( My party is in the low 30s to mid 30s. Am I just under-leveled? Or was keeping my main character a minstrel a big mistake? My guy does pathetic damage with his sword :lol

Reason I ask is because so far in the game, I haven't really done much level grinding. Mostly because I did a few sidequests between each new area. But now, the only sidequests available to me are of the non-battling variety. Equipment-wise, my party has stuff on par with or just below the level of stuff you get from the Upover stores.

Should I just grind out a bunch of levels or go crazy with alchemising better equipment? I'll probably have to use a guide for finding materials if I choose the latter route.

Oxx

I was definitely one of the 'skill/job grinding' school, so I did kinda brute-force my way through most of the game. I think Minstrel might be one of the weaker vocations, but grinding a new job up to 30 might take a while.

- No new guests this week
- DQVC is items from your friends in the game (Woo hoo! Lucky pendant! lol @ the price of Mailicite)
- Just 1 new quest (153)

Giolon

Little Green Yoda said:
Okay, judging from the Zoom list and the Defeated Monster List, I think I'm nearing the end of the main story. But I'm getting my ass handed to me by the 3rd of the triumvirate of lieutenants. That dude does a crapton of damage to my characters and the flinching doesn't help. :( My party is in the low 30s to mid 30s. Am I just under-leveled? Or was keeping my main character a minstrel a big mistake? My guy does pathetic damage with his sword :lol

<snip>

Should I just grind out a bunch of levels or go crazy with alchemising better equipment? I'll probably have to use a guide for finding materials if I choose the latter route.

My party for 95% of the game was Minstrel, Warrior, Ranger, Mage. Only once I was able to unlock Sage did I swap to Mage, Warrior, Ranger, Sage (and it made the game like an order of magnitude easier once I leveled two replacements up).

So, that being said, IMO, you'll want to be in your high 30s to low 40s. If you're having trouble with that guy, you'll have trouble with the boss after. DQIX is very good about grinding in that every level you gain is a significant boost in power. The most efficient way to grind levels pre-endgame is Liquid Metal Slimes in the Bowhole. Google Liquid Metal Slime Farming for Youtube videos on the best spot. I was able to level up my newly chosen classes from 1-40 in about 3 hours.

Minstrel is a fairly bad class, IMO, b/c it doesn't do anything particularly well, and it really starts to show in these late game battles. It doesn't hit hard, it doesn't heal super well, it can't buff or debuff, and it doesn't have very good abilities. I stuck through it by mostly using my Minstrel to Egg On other party members (not dependant on being a Minstrel since it's main char only and available no matter your class) and teaming with my Ranger to play healer. I let my Warrior alternate between playing tank and heavy damage dealer, while my Mage did what debuffs and damage she could.

I don't have any specific tips for the boss but keep your health high, try to get debuffs on the boss, and hope he doesn't get any lucky crits :)

ghibli99

Oxx said:
Kinda wishing I had noted down which bosses were at the bottom of certain grottoes.
I saw you mentioned the Hoimi Table a few posts above. After a couple days of messing with it, I have it down to a science now, and although it takes a bit of practice, it's really easy. The only inconvenience is that you need to have access to the internet for the website when you're filling out the numbers. A notepad (either paper or on your computer/phone) is also key in keeping track of things. However, after that, you're home free.

The nice side effect of this is that your Treasure Map will now show either the common or rare drop on the top screen, so you'll be able to know what bosses are at the bottom of each grotto easily from that point forward for when you need certain drops later.

Thanks to the Hoimi, I have 8 pieces of rare gear ready for future Alchemiracles, and I also now have 8 more chunks of Orichalcum thanks to Greygnarl's common drop. This is a *huge* time saver!

donny2112

Oxx said:
Kinda wishing I had noted down which bosses were at the bottom of certain grottoes.

Yeah, that's what I did. Made notes of at least one level for each possible boss and then any S-rank dungeons. You can use Vanish and go down to the boss and don't fight them to get a list together relatively quickly, though. :)

Oxx

I wish that you could annotate maps and other screens like in the DS Zeldas.

Indicating where chests are, making notes on what materials I need to go and find, drawing a penis on Stella... all these things would enhance the game.

ghibli99

My Lv. 91 Cave map from the other day ended up being Rank B... but it dropped a Lv. 91 Cave Rank A, so I got a few more Bestiary slots filled.

Cool DQVC week... hopefully I have better luck this time than I did with the Metal Slime one.

Oxx

Bloody hell. It's gonna take forever to gather together enough materials to make enough Agates of Evolution to go around.

I've done all the recipes I have through the first 12 pages of the Alchemomicon, but I'm pretty weak on clothes and hats.

DarthWoo

Got an orichalcum and a piece of metal slime gear for the first time from grotto chests, although now I forgot which grotto it was in. I'd been getting tons of mini medals to buy oris with regardless. After finally getting my hero to 99 for the first time, I'm just going to blitz through more grottoes for a while before revocating, since apparently 99/0 is better than 1/+1 for getting better maps.

ghibli99

^^^ That's interesting about the revocation piece. Thanks for the tip!

Oxx said:
Bloody hell. It's gonna take forever to gather together enough materials to make enough Agates of Evolution to go around.
The grotto I mentioned has been dropping a good number of Ethereal Stones (10% ain't bad!) and tons of Astral Plumes and Lucida Shards from this and other ones. I'm hoping for a Rank S grotto soon so that I start getting Sainted Soma drops as well (also 10%). With that, I won't even have to alchemize those anymore unless I want to. This will minimize the amount of collecting crap on the world map and waiting/canvassing for the respawns, which is such a big waste of time. Only thing that sucks is buying all the Chronocrystals, but Gem Slimes make gold farming for those relatively painless.

Oxx

Ice crystals are the main problem at the moment.

I'm gonna have to try and steal them from Brreathenwarriors, but it took about 20 attempts to get one the first time I tried.

I think the lesson here is that I really need to pay attention to what's in my grottoes and how best to exploit them.

DarthWoo

ghibli99 said:
^^^ That's interesting about the revocation piece. Thanks for the tip!

Well, to be fair, with all the grotto-ing you'll be doing, that 1/+1 will be 99/+1 quickly enough anyway, at least once you have one good one to grind in.

Cheerilee

Oxx said:

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/special_guests.php

Alena - 2010/07/30
Shirt - Talk to her
Hat - Talk to her on your birthday
Pants - Talk to her as a Martial Artist
Gloves - Fully expanded inn
Shoes - Post game quest

Angelo - 2010/08/06
Shirt - Talk to him
Wig - Talk to him on your birthday
Pants - Talk to him as a Priest
Shoes - Post game quest

Ashlynn - 2010/08/20
Hair - Talk to her on your birthday
Clothes - Talk to her
Gloves - Talk to her with a full Inn
Shoes - Talk to her as a Mage

Kiryl - 2010/09/03
Shirt - Talk to him
Hat - Talk to him on your birthday
Pants - Talk to him with a fully expanded Inn
Shoes - Talk to him as a Priest

Nera - 2010/09/17
Shirt - Talk to her
Hat - Talk to her on your birthday
Shoes - Talk to her as Luminary
Gloves - Talk to her with a full expanded Inn

Prince Princeton of Cannock - 2010/10/01
Shirt - Talk to him
Pants - Fully expanded inn
Gloves - Post game quest
Shoes - Talk to him as Armamentalist

Deborah - 2010/10/15
Robe - Talk to her
Wig - Talk to her on your birthday
Highness Heels - Fully expanded inn

Trode - 2010/10/29
Shirt - Talk to him
Shoes - Fully expanded inn

Maribel - 2010/11/12
Shirt - Talk to her
Wig - Talk to her on your birthday
Shoes - Fully expanded inn

Milly - 2010/11/26
Shirt - Talk to her
Hair - Talk to her on your birthday
Pants - Talk to her as a Sage
Shoes - Post game quest

donny2112

Oxx said:
It's gonna take forever to gather together enough materials to make enough Agates of Evolution to go around.

If you can somehow get access to a second copy of the game and a way to transfer out saves, you can load up a save with the special Lvl. 86 map that has mapped out all the high-level treasure chests. There's a timing solution to guarantee getting the materials for Agates (minus the Chronocrystals, but you can time it to get Metal Slime Swords. Selling two of those is about enough for one Chronocrystal.) from the high level chests. Like the Hoimi table, it takes practice and a bit of work, but it's a near-guaranteed method of getting the ingredients needed.

Oxx

Unf unf unf.

Found a bad-ass grotto with the last two non-boss monsters I needed and managed to steal 36 Brighten Rocks without even trying.

Oxx

Aside from one involving a Silver Platter, every single one of the remaining alchemomicon recipes needs at least one Agate.

This should be fun...

ghibli99

*Finally* got those Treevil and Bling Badger drops. I hate that you can get lucky and get the drops after a few battles or it can take forever... I killed at least 75 Treevils and then 40 some-odd Bling Badgers. Kind of a pain, but thankfully I got them. :p

donny2112 said:
If you can somehow get access to a second copy of the game and a way to transfer out saves, you can load up a save with the special Lvl. 86 map that has mapped out all the high-level treasure chests. There's a timing solution to guarantee getting the materials for Agates (minus the Chronocrystals, but you can time it to get Metal Slime Swords. Selling two of those is about enough for one Chronocrystal.) from the high level chests. Like the Hoimi table, it takes practice and a bit of work, but it's a near-guaranteed method of getting the ingredients needed.
I'm going to look into this... thanks!

Oxx

Well, I've found good places to stockpile Brighten Rocks and Evencloth. Only something like 15 other ingredients to go!

I think it's time to start gaming the system a bit. Most of the stuff I need is either super-rare or coming via DLC.

Oxx

Okay, I've come this far with the Hoimi table, so I don't really wanna mess it up:

hoimi.png

I wanna be one space ahead of the pink square, right? What bearing do the different rows have? All the tutorials show things happening on the top row...

Heal 40 times? (Or Multiheal 10 times?)

Edit: It works!

donny2112

ghibli99 said:
I'm going to look into this... thanks!

Emerald World of Gloom lvl 86. Also known as the Kawasaki Map. Here's the link talking about how to use it. :)

Oxx said:
I wanna be one space ahead of the pink square, right? What bearing do the different rows have? All the tutorials show things happening on the top row...

Heal 40 times? (Or Multiheal 10 times?)

After you've healed six times, you're on square six. To get a red square, be one space ahead. To get a blue square, be two spaces ahead. (That means you can guarantee a double drop by having a red followed by a blue and stopping on the square before the red.) Heal = 1 square. Multiheal = 4 squares. Actually having wounds to heal doesn't make a difference. You can also change the percentages to match the drop you're actually trying to get. I use this site to see who drops what at what percentage.

Oh, different rows are just increasing the number of squares to go through. You had the right idea (as you saw) with the 40 heals or 10 multi-heals. :)

Oxx

Yeah, seems like I have got things working pretty smoothly now.

But once again, my failure to record where I can find each boss is an annoyance. Still, at least I know where 5 of them are.

EDIT: OH GOD! I have to heal 179 time for this next drop...

EDIT 2: Aaaannnnndddd I seem to have miscounted somewhere along the line. Balls.

EDIT 3: I even know where I went wrong. I forgot to start from 6...

donny2112

Oxx said:
I have to heal 179 time for this next drop...

Quicksave, restart, and try again. The Table you get is random with each restart. Also make sure the percentages on the page match the boss you're going against. You may be able to use a higher % for the rare drop.

ghibli99

Didn't do too much this weekend (we just got a new dog, so she's been keeping us busy most of the time), but am gonna hop back into revocations and such. I was shocked that I had amassed over 100 mini medals through all of my grotto hunts this past week and like $50k worth of the various Gleeban coins. Got a couple new pieces of 3-star gear from DQVC this morning as well.

I'm actually getting to the point where I just want to get the rare gear/Alchemiracles, get the other boss maps, do some quests, and I might finally be ready to step away from it. Too many other games have sat by the wayside while I played this. I also broke the 200 hour mark late last week, so that was a sign that I've put more than enough time into this one. It's been fun, but quests like the Treevils and Bling Badgers just leave a really sour taste in my mouth!

donny2112 said:
Emerald World of Gloom lvl 86. Also known as the Kawasaki Map. Here's the link talking about how to use it. :)
Awesome, thanks! Got everything I need; gonna give it a shot tonight. :)

Edit: Wow, looks like that will take some practice...

donny2112

ghibli99 said:
Edit: Wow, looks like that will take some practice...

Yep, it took me a bit to figure out how to use it to work for me. Had to start waiting half a beat after the item came up before exiting out to open the chest. Exiting as soon as it came up seemed to get me the item before most of the time. Just keep at it until you find a timing that works for you. :)

ghibli99

donny2112 said:
Yep, it took me a bit to figure out how to use it to work for me. Had to start waiting half a beat after the item came up before exiting out to open the chest. Exiting as soon as it came up seemed to get me the item before most of the time. Just keep at it until you find a timing that works for you. :)
I took your advice above and tried it a few times before work this morning, and after initially getting a Pandora's Box, I got some really great gear. So cool! :D Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Oxx

Had three Hoimi attempts fail in a row (in that no links came up after entering heal numbers). Something must be going wrong somewhere.

And I got all the birthday items and my wardrobe percentage didn't change at all.

This is probably just an indication that I should slow down. I'm in this for the long haul.

donny2112

Oxx said:
Something must be going wrong somewhere.

Did you Quicksave and completely turn off the system (or reboot to main menu for DSi) each time?

It's usually only failed for me when I forgot one or both of those.

ghibli99 said:
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem. Glad it started working for you. :)

If you get comfortable with it, you can go from chest to chest without restarting the system. As long as you don't get into a battle and still go to the Stella screen (select) before exiting at the right time, you can do multiple chests with a single restart. :D

Oxx

I did the quicksave each time, but after failing the first time I exited the boss floor to lower my HP for another attempt.

Should I have abandoned the grotto after the first failure?

ghibli99

donny2112 said:
No problem. Glad it started working for you. :)

If you get comfortable with it, you can go from chest to chest without restarting the system. As long as you don't get into a battle and still go to the Stella screen (select) before exiting at the right time, you can do multiple chests with a single restart. :D
Woah, that's cool that you can do that! I looked earlier and wow, you need 8 Orbs and 8 Agates if you want both 4 and 5 star ultimate gear. That could take some time to farm all the orbs especially, but Agates have all of a sudden become so much more accessible! I might reobtain some Lv. 1 legacy boss maps again just for quick orb grinding... might as well make it easy on myself. :)

I'm excited about this game again... I was starting to fade a bit, but with rewards this awesome, I can't help but feel giddy about diving back in. :)

Edit: LOL... 25 Silver Orbs for all the gear that needs it (including the Sage's Stone), and I have - wait for it - *one*. :p

Oxx

It's almost time for Golden Sun 3, so it might be a good time to take a break from the grind.

I'm sure I'll still feel compelled to check Dqvc and farm resources every day though.

donny2112

Oxx said:
I did the quicksave each time, but after failing the first time I exited the boss floor to lower my HP for another attempt.

Should I have abandoned the grotto after the first failure?

You don't need to abandon the grotto. If it doesn't work out once, then you can go to another level to lower your HP, go back to the boss level, quicksave, turn off system (or reboot to main menu on DSi), and try again. The restart resets the RNG value (probably why all DQs make you turn off the system when you save and don't continue).

Top Bottom