• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

So in a level 7 grotto and I have no problems with it at all, every enemy is down before they get a chance to attack me. I get to the boss...
Shogum
and I get schooled. I thought I was doing good at first but then he calls in some backup and they heal him for 999hp. My first thought was "I have to level more" and I am happy to do it.

Hobbun said:
I have heard of a grotto map called something along the lines of
Isle of Silver Marshes Lvl. 58 From what I have heard it has one floor dedicated to MKS, which is definitely what I want eventually.
However, is the only way to get this grotto map is through tagging? If so, is there another grotto map that I can get that serves what I want (without tagging)?

Yeah, that's one of the 'legendary' maps. Nearly everyone who has attended a major gaming event - and even many of us who haven't - and has tagged around has it. It's extremely difficult to get on your own; you basically need to have your party at specific levels and fight in specific grottoes over and over until you have a chance of getting it. It's honestly much easier to register over at GameFAQs or Dragon's Den and ask if anyone in your area would be willing to give it to you. I helped a bunch of people out for several months after the game came out. It really makes the grinding process way, way easier. If you use Thunder Thrust, you can basically grind out 99 levels in about an hour.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So in a level 7 grotto and I have no problems with it at all, every enemy is down before they get a chance to attack me. I get to the boss... Shogum and I get schooled. I thought I was doing good at first but then he calls in some backup and they heal him for 999hp. My first thought was "I have to level more" and I am happy to do it.

Yeah, the bosses aren't balanced very well. Early on they are extremely powerful relative to the enemies in the grotto, and at higher levels they are pushovers.

SecretMoblin said:
Yeah, that's one of the 'legendary' maps. Nearly everyone who has attended a major gaming event - and even many of us who haven't - and has tagged around has it. It's extremely difficult to get on your own; you basically need to have your party at specific levels and fight in specific grottoes over and over until you have a chance of getting it. It's honestly much easier to register over at GameFAQs or Dragon's Den and ask if anyone in your area would be willing to give it to you. I helped a bunch of people out for several months after the game came out. It really makes the grinding process way, way easier. If you use Thunder Thrust, you can basically grind out 99 levels in about an hour.

Yeah, the bosses aren't balanced very well. Early on they are extremely powerful relative to the enemies in the grotto, and at higher levels they are pushovers.
Only person I know in my area that has it is my brother-in-law and he hasn't played past angel falls.

I also thought the boss was pretty powerful for a level 7 grotto boss especially when the other level 6, 7, and 9 maps I have I have cleared no problems. Just hadn't run into Shogum.

Hobbun

SecretMoblin said:

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. The problem is there is really no events in my area still going on. I guess I can try putting a call out a GameFAQs or Dragon's Den and see who might be in my area who may be kind enough to give me the map.

As for Donny's suggestion, unfortunately don't have an extra game anywhere. A friend of mine has the game, but he is playing it as well. I wouldn't even be sure how to transfer the game save online over to a game, anyways.

Hobbun said:
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. The problem is there is really no events in my area still going on. I guess I can try putting a call out a GameFAQs or Dragon's Den and see who might be in my area who may be kind enough to give me the map.

As for Donny's suggestion, unfortunately don't have an extra game anywhere. A friend of mine has the game, but he is playing it as well. I wouldn't even be sure how to transfer the game save online over to a game, anyways.

Eh, it involves Action Replay and messing with game data. I wouldn't trust it, myself. And yeah, putting out a beacon on GameFAQs is probably your best shot, as there are still a bunch of folks posting over there. If you don't get any responses, then lather, rinse, repeat every now and then.

Sorry about the map. I hate - and I mean seething, (ir?)rational hate - when you pick up a game several months or a year after it was released and you miss out on content.

Hobbun

SecretMoblin said:
Sorry about the map. I hate - and I mean seething, (ir?)rational hate - when you pick up a game several months or a year after it was released and you miss out on content.

Yes, I agree with you. This is why I worry about the whole shift to more online content in the future. Publishers are not going to support events/servers after a certain amount of time after the game is released. Demons Souls is another perfect example of this. Great online gameplay and content, but the servers shut down this October.

However, this discussion is for another thread.

As for DQ IX, if I can't get someone in my area with the map I want, I guess I can always hunt the MKS in the tower of Nod. Although I am guessing they are hard to find.

:(

Link Man

Banned
Hobbun said:
Yes, I agree with you. This is why I worry about the whole shift to more online content in the future. Publishers are not going to support events/servers after a certain amount of time after the game is released. Demons Souls is another perfect example of this. Great online gameplay and content, but the servers shut down this October.

However, this discussion is for another thread.

As for DQ IX, if I can't get someone in my area with the map I want, I guess I can always hunt the MKS in the tower of Nod. Although I am guessing they are hard to find.

:(
I have never seen one in there on the map (I've fought one there, but it was part of another group). You'd be better off just beating grottoes until you get one high enough in level to spawn the Metal King Slimes (fire and water grottoes are good for this).

Oh, and just wanted to say that the 3DS circle pad is a godsend for this game. Completely justifies my purchase a couple of months ago (along with Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart).

donny2112

SecretMoblin said:
Eh, it involves Action Replay and messing with game data.

Only in the sense that you backup your save and put a new save in its place. You never actually modify any saves. It's not like Animal Crossing DS's early hacking before a real DS AR came out.

SecretMoblin said:
I wouldn't trust it, myself.

Probably because you haven't done it before. Nothing wrong with that. The AR DS Save backup came out early in the DS's lifetime, so there's probably not a lot out there, anyway. There're probably other DS save backup tools out there, but I'm only familiar with the AR one.

Hobbun

Link Man said:
I have never seen one in there on the map (I've fought one there, but it was part of another group). You'd be better off just beating grottoes until you get one high enough in level to spawn the Metal King Slimes (fire and water grottoes are good for this).

I am guessing the fire and water grottos do not have MKS only floors. Which is fine, but do they at least have one floor where MKS spawn frequently?

Link Man

Banned
Hobbun said:
I am guessing the fire and water grottos do not have MKS only floors. Which is fine, but do they at least have one floor where MKS spawn frequently?
Yes, as long as they have a high enough level. Probably 60's/70's. And they'll have around 4 floors where the MKS can spawn, given the monsters change every 4 levels or so (you'll probably have to run around until you see them, as there will be other, very strong enemies about).

Hobbun

Link Man said:
Yes, as long as they have a high enough level. Probably 60's/70's. And they'll have around 4 floors where the MKS can spawn, given the monsters change every 4 levels or so (you'll probably have to run around until you see them, as there will be other, very strong enemies about).

Ok, that works then. I just wanted to clarify it wasn’t a “Yes, MKS spawn in these fire/water grottos, but it is a rare spawn you may see every 10 minutes.” I want something that would keep me fighting MKS quite often.

Will have to keep those fire/water level (60-70) grotto maps in mind. Thanks.

MLH

Argh! How did you people 100% complete wardrobe!?
After hours of grinding I've found many of the rare equipment, Poker and Bad axe for instance. I quickly upgraded them to Stud Poker and Maxi Axe, and after further grinding to get more orbs and Agate of Evolution, I had enough to upgrade them further.

But what's this? I have a 10% of creating the Red Hot Poker/ Galaxy Axe! Otherwise I get a lesser weapon. The worse part is you have to save your game while creating them so you can't cheat into getting the better weapons.

There is no way I'm grinding all those ingredients again for a small chance of getting these weapons.

Cheerilee

MLH said:
After hours of grinding I've found many of the rare equipment, Poker and Bad axe for instance. I quickly upgraded them to Stud Poker and Maxi Axe, and after further grinding to get more orbs and Agate of Evolution, I had enough to upgrade them further.

But what's this? I have a 10% of creating the Red Hot Poker/ Galaxy Axe! Otherwise I get a lesser weapon. The worse part is you have to save your game while creating them so you can't cheat into getting the better weapons.

There is no way I'm grinding all those ingredients again for a small chance of getting these weapons.
I thought it was a 2% chance of success, not 10%.

And you can cheat by using the hoimi table. 100% chance of alchemizing the item you want.

MLH

ruby_onix said:
I thought it was a 2% chance of success, not 10%.

And you can cheat by using the hoimi table. 100% chance of alchemizing the item you want.

I've been using the Dragon's Den Alchemy list, I think the 2% is the drop rate of the items.

I'll give the Hoimi table a chance thanks, just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Hobbun

I have a pretty good rapport with my local GS, so they let me check all their used DQ IX games (5 of them) to see if any of the games have one of the known ‘MKS only floor’ grotto maps, and then I could tag with that game.

Unfortunately, none of them did so. 3 of out of the 5 didn’t even have treasure maps yet, and the other two did not have map levels high enough for what I was looking for.

So the search continues. A friend of mine manages another GS in the area, so I will check with his used copies tomorrow.

Hobbun said:
I have a pretty good rapport with my local GS, so they let me check all their used DQ IX games (5 of them) to see if any of the games have one of the known ‘MKS only floor’ grotto maps, and then I could tag with that game.

Unfortunately, none of them did so. 3 of out of the 5 didn’t even have treasure maps yet, and the other two did not have map levels high enough for what I was looking for.

So the search continues. A friend of mine manages another GS in the area, so I will check with his used copies tomorrow.

Keep your hopes up! There are a few notable maps; one has an MKS-only floor, one has a Gem Slime-only floor (10,000 gold per kill, perfect for money grinding), and one is a map with a bunch of high-level loot that is so famous there are guides for how to exploit it to get the treasure you want.

They're obviously not necessary to complete the game, but they make things way, way easier.

Hobbun

SecretMoblin said:
Keep your hopes up! There are a few notable maps; one has an MKS-only floor, one has a Gem Slime-only floor (10,000 gold per kill, perfect for money grinding), and one is a map with a bunch of high-level loot that is so famous there are guides for how to exploit it to get the treasure you want.

They're obviously not necessary to complete the game, but they make things way, way easier.

There are actually several ‘MKS floor only’ maps out there, unless you meant there is only one popular one, and I am guessing you are referring to the Silver Marsh of Bane Lvl. 58.

However, I did a search last night and wrote down maybe 10 or so ‘MKS floor only’ grotto maps. Well, unless those that said they had them were lying. Unfortunately the list is at home, so I can’t relate them here.

Don’t worry, I will keep looking! As I said, I will try with my friend at the GS he runs. If that doesn’t pan out, there is someone at GameFAQs who lives in the town next door to me who would be willing to meet up with me. But I would rather try to exhaust all my other options first before asking him to go out of his way like that.

stolin

Hobbun said:
There are actually several ‘MKS floor only’ maps out there, unless you meant there is only one popular one, and I am guessing you are referring to the Silver Marsh of Bane Lvl. 58. Don’t worry, I will keep looking!

Over my 100% play through I never found a ‘MKS floor only’. That's over about 700 Grottoes. But to be honest you don't really need one.

The best MKS maps I have found are
  • Diamond Moor Bliss 66 Water
  • Steel Chasm Glee 54 Water

These are both ranked as Metal King Slime - 100% in the map analysis tools. But I also have dozens of maps which are MKS 20-30%. Getting experience and levels isn't really a problem, but I guess it depends on your goals. Getting to your first revocations 'MKS only' seems like the holy grail.. but later on there are other goals than just getting exp.

stolin

MLH said:

For the Alchemiracle the % creation changes depending on your Hero's stats for each item. So it's worth waiting to try for them only when you have your best chance. There's a table on GameFaqs in the Alchemy FAQ. Here's a few examples, 1 from each range.

• Hypernova Sword | 300 - 999 | Strength | 10% - 40%
  • Soul Sucker | 300 - 999 | Resilience | 10% - 50%
  • Infinity Trousers | 300 - 700 | Magical Might | 20% - 50%

So your chances are pretty good if you have the correct stats prepared going into the Alchemiracle. That's why the Pot tells you your current chance.

Or you can work the Hoimi table if you wanna short cut as others have mentioned.

Hobbun

stolin said:
Over my 100% play through I never found a ‘MKS floor only’. That's over about 700 Grottoes. But to be honest you don't really need one.

The best MKS maps I have found are
  • Diamond Moor Bliss 66 Water
  • Steel Chasm Glee 54 Water

These are both ranked as Metal King Slime - 100% in the map analysis tools. But I also have dozens of maps which are MKS 20-30%. Getting experience and levels isn't really a problem, but I guess it depends on your goals. Getting to your first revocations 'MKS only' seems like the holy grail.. but later on there are other goals than just getting exp.

Well, as I said, I only have to go on what I’ve heard from others. But there has more than one person claiming they have a ‘MKS only floor’. The Silver Marsh of Bane Lvl. 58 is only the most popular one. I think the Masayuki (sp?) map is another well known one.

You are right, there are other goals as well in the game, but it certainly makes it a lot easier when I have access to means to level faster when I want to revocate multiple times.

However, I will add your maps to my list. Thanks.

stolin

Hobbun said:
You are right, there are other goals as well in the game, but it certainly makes it a lot easier when I have access to means to level faster when I want to revocate multiple times.

Well I believe it's worth seeking out maps that have the highest number of both S & A Rank chests since those are more important than exp in the long run..

These are the best I found and my most played grottoes.

• Ruby Abyss Regret 70 Rank A chest=10
  • Ruby Maze Doubt 63 Rank S chest=5
  • Platinum Maze Dread 87 Rank S chest=5

Chest hunting took way more hours than exp farming, even when revocating the full 10x. Just a heads up if you are going all the way.

Venfayth

Update for my solo adventure:

I'm at about 44 hours, I'm at the third boss of the Triumgorate, and he is DESTROYING me. This stupid cat guy constantly knocks me down and kills me before I can heal. I wish Holy Impregnable prevented knockdowns. I'm in a quest to upgrade my Falcon Blade to an Uber Falcon Blade, but I'm not even sure that will help me. My current plan is to blitz him down with Gale Fource Falcon Slashes after I get my Uber Falcon Blade.

My character is level 49 minstrel and level ~25-30 on all other default classes plus armamentalist and gladiator.

I'm kind of upset I can't get Paladin because all that bonus resilience would help a lot.

Hobbun

Why can't you get Paladin?

Edit: Nevermind, I now see solo adventure.

stolin said:
Well I believe it's worth seeking out maps that have the highest number of both S & A Rank chests since those are more important than exp in the long run..

These are the best I found and my most played grottoes.

• Ruby Abyss Regret 70 Rank A chest=10
  • Ruby Maze Doubt 63 Rank S chest=5
  • Platinum Maze Dread 87 Rank S chest=5

Chest hunting took way more hours than exp farming, even when revocating the full 10x. Just a heads up if you are going all the way.

Thanks for the advice. I will 'try' to go all the way. I don't know if I will get all the items as I know how insanely difficult it is. And we'll see if I just lose patience. Right now I am really enjoying the game and addicted.

I will agree, getting the high end chests will be more difficult, as gaining xp is just time. But would still like to gain the MKS map if I can. But I will add your A and S ranks maps to my list as well. :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Aaahh I wanted to finish this final story quest and set the game aside since I have so many others that need playing. At L67 is there a chance I'd find a grotto with the boss Excalipurr anytime soon? If not I'll just have ta put this away for now.

Man God said:
Depending on how high your levels were when you beat it, and how good your equipment is I'd say the Dragovian stuff only takes around another ten hours, fifteen if you need some better alchemy equipment. Even if you do need the better equipment you should still be able to beat the boss once and get the insta pot, which saves hours and hours.

That don't sound to bad. I haven't done any DQ post-game content aside from IX so I gots stuff ta look forward to on the replay. I didn't even know there was a insta pot! Can't wait to play VIII again whenever my schedule clears up!

Axis said:
http://i.imgur.com/bLokt.jpg gigantic image so i don't wanna throw it up in the thread

not quite finished...i can see another 200 hours being put into it, maybe 300.

Giant pic and time played / medals found! Did ya finish every quests an beat all the extra bosses? What more could there to be done with that much time put in o.o?

Lindsay said:
Aaahh I wanted to finish this final story quest and set the game aside since I have so many others that need playing. At L67 is there a chance I'd find a grotto with the boss Excalipurr anytime soon? If not I'll just have ta put this away for now.

That don't sound to bad. I haven't done any DQ post-game content aside from IX so I gots stuff ta look forward to on the replay. I didn't even know there was a insta pot! Can't wait to play VIII again whenever my schedule clears up!

Giant pic and time played / medals found! Did ya finish every quests an beat all the extra bosses? What more could there to be done with that much time put in o.o?

I know you don't like numbers, but here's a formula for you:

New Quality = Hero's Maximum Vocation Level + 5 * Hero's Maximum Revocation + Level of Previous Grotto

This determines the "Quality" of the map you get when you beat a grotto. In order to start getting maps with Excalipurr, you need maps with a quality of at least 161. So at level 67, assuming you haven't revocated at all, I think it goes

NQ = 67 + 0 + level of grotto. So you would need to beat a grotto of level 94 to start getting maps with Excalipurr. If you raise your Hero's level, then you can start seeing Excalipurr maps with lower-level grottoes.

Does anyone know when they'll take down the online quests?
I haven't even had time to download them (only 47 hrs into the game...I wish I had more time to play).

mintypixel said:
Does anyone know when they'll take down the online quests?
I haven't even had time to download them (only 47 hrs into the game...I wish I had more time to play).

Nobody except SE knows exactly, but I'd say you have a few more weeks at least -- and probably a few more months. And all you need is to connect once at Stornway Inn and every one of the quests and guests is unlocked permanently on your cart.

SecretMoblin said:
Nobody except SE knows exactly, but I'd say you have a few more weeks at least -- and probably a few more months. And all you need is to connect once at Stornway Inn and every one of the quests and guests is unlocked permanently on your cart.

Yes, I definitely need to do this.

I've had the game for a long time, but just haven't had the time. I do plan to sink a lot of time on it one day (hopefully get everything). I have gotten some of the better maps at quests.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
SecretMoblin said:
I know you don't like numbers, but here's a formula for you:

New Quality = Hero's Maximum Vocation Level + 5 * Hero's Maximum Revocation + Level of Previous Grotto

This determines the "Quality" of the map you get when you beat a grotto. In order to start getting maps with Excalipurr, you need maps with a quality of at least 161. So at level 67, assuming you haven't revocated at all, I think it goes

NQ = 67 + 0 + level of grotto. So you would need to beat a grotto of level 94 to start getting maps with Excalipurr. If you raise your Hero's level, then you can start seeing Excalipurr maps with lower-level grottoes.

Bleh I'll have ta save it for the future then. I've been trying to grind the past few days to lil effect and the highest map I have so far is 66.

SecretMoblin said:

So if I was to get a second copy to replay the story then deleted it and started a new game afterwards the quests/visitors would all be there?

Lindsay said:
So if I was to get a second copy to replay the story then deleted it and started a new game afterwards the quests/visitors would all be there?

Er, no. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. They would be permanently unlocked on your save. If you wiped the save file you'd need to connect again to get the quests and visitors.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i too want a PS3 DQ game, but i think the only way that it will even remotely happen is like someone said, a PSN release OOOOOORRRRRR....... the tiniest itty bitty chance that someone (SONY) funded an HD port of DQVIII like the other HD collections, etc.

it's a massive game though, so i think it would be quite a feat to tackle. especially with all of the items/inventory being 2D sprites. if SE/Sony could make it happen i would finally forgive the switch to DS.

also: i thought they made it clear that DQ has no platform allegiance, and they only release it on whatever the top selling device is because they want as many people as possible to experience the games? wasn't 7 originally made on PS1?

sorry, OT.

Exactly why the series won't be coming to the PS3.

7 was made for the PS1, partly because it was the market leader (and because Square convinced Enix to follow them over). 9 came to the DS because the DS took the lead.

Besides, DQ has almost never been about the graphics. The portability of the DS was a huge asset to me.

Hobbun

I really enjoy playing DQ IX on my DSi, but I almost always only play it at home in front of the tv, anyways.

So having X on the Wii is fine with me. Besides, will be nice just to play DQ on my tv again.

Venfayth

Well I finally killed Purrvis last night after maxing out shields and getting the item that prevents crits as well as maxing out barb and getting Feel The Burn, still feel like I just got lucky x-x

Venfayth

Okay I have a question - it's kind of spoilery, could someone who's beaten the game give me an answer that doesn't spoil anything in return? <3

I beat Godwyn, unshackled Corvus, now I've returned to the Observatory and Celestria gave me a fygg. Now I know that there's other places in the world I go to, and that at some point in the game I get another mode of transportation. If I eat the Fygg will I be forced to finish the storyline? Is it possible for me to get the next mode of transportation before finishing the game? Or is all of that extra stuff for the postgame?

donny2112

Extra transportation is post-game.
Don't recall what the last Fygg from Celestria does, though. I'd imagine it sets into motion the final part of the main storyline, yes. You've still got a bit to play through, though. :)

Venfayth

I hate how this game acknowledges the fact that you've lost to a boss already.

I opened up the battle records page:
"If you finally beat thefinalboss this time, does that mean it will all be over?"

Fuck you, faerie :(

Hobbun

Well, received the maps I was looking for and more!

As suggested by Secret Moblin, I put the request out to GameFAQs to meet up for a tag and treasure maps. Here are the ones I received:

Silver Marsh of Bane Lvl. 58
Emerald Snowhall of Hurt Lvl. 70
Emerald World of Gloom Lvl. 86
Ruby Path of Doom Lvl. 87
Diamond World of Hurt Lvl. 98

And I also received some of the Legacy Boss maps, including: Orgodemir, Estark, Mortamor and Rhaptorne.

Thanks to Secret Moblin for the suggestion and to drmaster of GF's for the maps!

Hobbun said:
Well, received the maps I was looking for and more!

As suggested by Secret Moblin, I put the request out to GameFAQs to meet up for a tag and treasure maps. Here are the ones I received:

Silver Marsh of Bane Lvl. 58
Emerald Snowhall of Hurt Lvl. 70
Emerald World of Gloom Lvl. 86
Ruby Path of Doom Lvl. 87
Diamond World of Hurt Lvl. 98

And I also received some of the Legacy Boss maps, including: Orgodemir, Estark, Mortamor and Rhaptorne.

Thanks to Secret Moblin for the suggestion and to drmaster of GF's for the maps!

Wow. That is great to hear. You are basically set for life with those maps.

Congrats!

I think I'm done with this game. I just beat it last week, and went through the post-game ever so briefly to get the Whistle.

Some Stats:

Completion Time: 25:33 [Fleet Completer]
Current Time: 30:28
Monster list: 69%
Wardrobe: 15%
Items: 43%
Alchenomicon: 2%
Accolades: 35
Quests: 28

Not impressive stats, obviously, but I have no desire for the grind.

DQIX and I had a love-hate relationship. I found the first 3/4's ever-so boring, due to the blank-slate characters and slower-paced battle system (relative to other DQ titles). Towards the end, I appreciated it more and more, and I quite liked it by the end, but I'm still lukewarm on the entire experience.

There is certainly an impressive amount of content, but it's not really for me. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours of grinding is not the most appealing proposition. I salute all of you who put in the time and reaped the rewards.

Oxx

There are plenty of quests to complete in the post-game. Attempting to 100% the game isn't exactly a requirement, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Hobbun

SecretMoblin said:
Wow. That is great to hear. You are basically set for life with those maps.

Congrats!

Thanks!

A friend of mine (who also received the maps) and I spent quite a few hours yesterday hunting MKS' in the Silver Marsh of Bane map.

Makes it so necessary if you do want to spend the time to build up (grind) your character with multiple vocations and especially revocate.

Cheerilee

Steroyd said:
Pincushion, how does it work!? And I need to beat 3 of these suckers with it. D:
You use the ability, and then anyone who hits you in a physical way gets hurt with a little bit of counter-damage.

Teach pincushion to everyone in your party, and then when you find your target monster knock ~95% of his hit points away. Then don't attack anymore, just use pincushion. Wait for the monster to deliver his own fatal blow by him attacking you.

Steroyd

Where do I get all the recipe's? (i.e reading from a bookshelf) I would have thought they'd come a dime a dozen when i completed the game, but nada. I tried looking up on gamefaqs but they've only got the actual recipes that I have to input manually, which is a pain to look and check which ingredients i do and do not have and how close I am to completing one.

Oxx

I think there are some in the Quester's Rest inn. I wouldn't know, because I think you need to tag 30 people in order to open-up that part of the inn.

Top Bottom