• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Steroyd said:
Where do I get all the recipe's? (i.e reading from a bookshelf) I would have thought they'd come a dime a dozen when i completed the game, but nada. I tried looking up on gamefaqs but they've only got the actual recipes that I have to input manually, which is a pain to look and check which ingredients i do and do not have and how close I am to completing one.
Unfortunately, several of the recipes are meant to be found through experimentation; they can't be found on bookshelves anywhere in the game. Unless you're extremely hardcore, I would recommend just inputting them manually. Not fun, but it is what it is.

Oxx said:
The current DQX fever makes me want to dig out IX again, but I can't remember where I put my DS.
It's not really a fever. It's more like a virus of total, irrational rage.

Not gonna lie, though; I dug out IX and played a few hours. Taking on the legacy bosses is fun.

Oxx

Argh! This is crazy!

I can only assume that Reggie stole my DS to try and get me to upgrade to a 3DS.

At least my DQIX cart wasn't in the DS when it disappeared.

BearChair

I really want to buy a new RPG for my DS, and I am choosing between DQVI and DQIX. From a fan's perspective which is better. I beat the NES-version DQIV a few years ago and liked it, but I am worried that there is not enough new content to be worth buying for the DS. I also already own DQV and liked it, except for the after-game board game that I found tedious.

Which is the better buy?

Is all of the content for DQIX still available for download or is all of that gone now?

BearChair said:
I really want to buy a new RPG for my DS, and I am choosing between DQVI and DQIX. From a fan's perspective which is better. I beat the NES-version DQIV a few years ago and liked it, but I am worried that there is not enough new content to be worth buying for the DS. I also already own DQV and liked it, except for the after-game board game that I found tedious.

Which is the better buy?

Is all of the content for DQIX still available for download or is all of that gone now?
All of the content for DQIX is still available for download; if I were you I would get it first for that reason. I've played all of the Dragon Quests - including several of them twice - and I prefer VI to IX. If you ask other fans of the series, they'll likely give you a similar response. If you liked IV and V, then you will be happy with VI, despite it being the worst port of the three.

But IX is still a very good game, and is definitely worth playing. You should be able to wring at least 50 or so hours out of it before you start getting bored -- and many people stay interested for much longer. In the meantime you can save up for VI.

BearChair said:

Which is the better buy?

Related question - IX was my first DQ game, and I loved it. Loved all the loot and the job/leveling system, loved the sidequests and other optional extras, story was OK, combat was OK. I think I just liked that there's so much to do. Are IV/V/VI more "standard" JRPG's? Is the combat fairly simple? Is the stat/leveling system the same? Are there jobs to manage? Lots of loot to be sought through exploration/sidequests, or do you just come across it in a more linear fashion?

Fong Ghoul said:
Related question - IX was my first DQ game, and I loved it. Loved all the loot and the job/leveling system, loved the sidequests and other optional extras, story was OK, combat was OK. I think I just liked that there's so much to do. Are IV/V/VI more "standard" JRPG's? Is the combat fairly simple? Is the stat/leveling system the same? Are there jobs to manage? Lots of loot to be sought through exploration/sidequests, or do you just come across it in a more linear fashion?
To answer your questions in order:
Yes, IV/V/VI are more "standard", in the sense that they are exclusively single-player, traditional JRPGs. The structure of the three games is noticeably more rigid than IX, especially if that was your first experience with Dragon Quest and you haven't played many pre-PS1 RPGs.

The combat is similar. Unlike DQIX the battles are random, but you select your actions from a menu (using the standard Attack/Magic/Item/Flee options) at the start of a turn and then watch as the turn plays out. There are different options to speed up the battles if you choose. Also, like DQIX, you can issue simple AI commands to your party (focus on healing, all-out attack, etc.).

The stat/leveling system is not exactly the same, but there are several similarities. Like DQIX, each enemy awards a specific amount of experience points, which aren't scaled to correspond to your level. Unlike DQIX, the experience split among the party members is equal. Besides that, yes, you defeat enemies to collect experience points to level up, and when you level up your stats will increase.

IV and V do not have jobs. In IV, each character can play a specific "role" in the party, alleviating the need for classes. In V, the human characters have specific roles, but you can also recruit a large number of enemies to be in your party. Most enemies have class-like specialties; cureslimes, for example, are obviously geared towards using curative magic. VI does have a class system, albeit one that is more limited in scope than IX. You can eventually create "hybrid" classes, which allow you to combine two classes to make a stronger class.

For all three games in the Zenithia trilogy, loot is not a major element of gameplay, unlike DQIX. You come across equipment and items during the course of a normal playthrough, using shops and monster drops. There isn't a sidequest system in any way similar to DQIX, so they are in a sense more "linear".

All three are certainly worth playing, though, if you liked DQIX. The story for the games in the trilogy is considered by a large number of fans the best in the franchise, and none of the three should require any excessive grinding, unlike the first two games in the series.

I am at
Gittingham Palace
and I feel like I am close to the end. Someone tell me it’s alright to continue on... I find myself running Grottoes instead of trying to proceed.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I am at
Gittingham Palace
and I feel like I am close to the end. Someone tell me it’s alright to continue on... I find myself running Grottoes instead of trying to proceed.
Yes, you're close to the end of the main storyline. But there is quite a bit of post-game content to explore, and it's always worth it to grind a bit if you want an easier time.

SecretMoblin said:
Yes, you're close to the end of the main storyline. But there is quite a bit of post-game content to explore, and it's always worth it to grind a bit if you want an easier time.

Thats what I thought. MC is 36 Warrior, I have a 35 Thief, Priest, and Monk in my party. What levels are advisable for this place?

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Thats what I thought. MC is 36 Warrior, I have a 35 Thief, Priest, and Monk in my party. What levels are advisable for this place?
You should be fine for right now, but I would advise being in the 43-45 range if you want a fair fight against the final boss. It should be quite obvious to you when you're about to fight it, so you can take care of any grinding or weapon/armor upgrades beforehand.

And you probably already know, but don't worry about completing quests or grottoes or anything; nothing gets 'locked' once you beat the game, so you have an infinite amount of time to do whatever you want.

SecretMoblin said:
You should be fine for right now, but I would advise being in the 43-45 range if you want a fair fight against the final boss. It should be quite obvious to you when you're about to fight it, so you can take care of any grinding or weapon/armor upgrades beforehand.

And you probably already know, but don't worry about completing quests or grottoes or anything; nothing gets 'locked' once you beat the game, so you have an infinite amount of time to do whatever you want.
Sweet, yeah I know nothing gets locked. I have my warrior using an uber Miracle Sword right now, and priest is set to focus on healing. Maybe I'll get to post game tonight then.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Any tips for beating the legacy bosses at levels 50+? I was grinding Malroth up a bit, using all uber falcon blades with falcon slash with everyone gale fourced (three gladiators and one sage). Prior to level 50, it was usually a matter of three turns, four if he disruption waved the fource off repeatedly. Now I'm finding that he's actually getting a bit difficult. Sometimes he will one-shot the sage, leaving my party with no healing unless I waste a ygg leaf.

DarthWoo said:
Any tips for beating the legacy bosses at levels 50+? I was grinding Malroth up a bit, using all uber falcon blades with falcon slash with everyone gale fourced (three gladiators and one sage). Prior to level 50, it was usually a matter of three turns, four if he disruption waved the fource off repeatedly. Now I'm finding that he's actually getting a bit difficult. Sometimes he will one-shot the sage, leaving my party with no healing unless I waste a ygg leaf.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure several high-level legacy boss strategies involve benching the Sage (in favor of a Paladin, so you are either 3-1 Glad/Pal or 2-2) and relying exclusively on Yggdrasil Leaves. Or sub a Priest for the Sage and focus on healing. The problem with the Sage is the abysmal DEF, so they're tough to use effectively at higher levels.

For Malroth specifically, use Sober Rings to help against Dazzle. And if you want a bit of an unfair advantage, his attack pattern is as follows:
A: Attack, C-c-cold breath, Disruptive Wave, Fullheal, Psyche Up (random)
B: Attack, Critical attack, Hellfire, Blinder (random)

Oxx

If the Sage is getting one-shotted with a Critical there is always that item (or it might be a book) that prevents Critical Hits.

I really liked the legacy bosses. They were pretty much the only encounters that required strategy and all of those skills and items you spend hundreds of hours accumulating.

Wichu

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What's with the random names not being allowed? I tried Raphael and it said this name is not allowed...
Some names have story relevance, so you can't use them for your characters. I don't know where the name Raphael is used, though...

Wichu said:
Some names have story relevance, so you can't use them for your characters. I don't know where the name Raphael is used, though...

Bah! I always use Raphael. :(

Edit: Ya, can't find any character from google search named raphael in DQ IX. Odd. :/

This game is so good so far. Usually I have to take breaks in between playing but the last 3 days I've played pretty much non-stop and it's such a satisfying game.

Cranzor

I got about 10 hours into this but quit for some reason a while back. Is it easy to get jump into or am I going to be lost? As far as story goes, I figured I could just read up on it on a wiki but I don't know if I'll be confused with everything else. Also, is there a lot of grinding later on? I remember grinding a lot early on because everything seemed over powered. It seems like I'd enjoy it, I don't think I had much time when I started.

Cranzor said:
I got about 10 hours into this but quit for some reason a while back. Is it easy to get jump into or am I going to be lost? As far as story goes, I figured I could just read up on it on a wiki but I don't know if I'll be confused with everything else. Also, is there a lot of grinding later on? I remember grinding a lot early on because everything seemed over powered. It seems like I'd enjoy it, I don't think I had much time when I started.
It's definitely one of the easier Dragon Quests to jump back into; the central storyline is pretty basic. The focus is on the vignettes.

You shouldn't ever need to grind too much. The game is paced quite well, actually. The only reason you may want to do it is when you're playing around with vocations. Thankfully, there are plenty of good places to gain a few levels pretty quickly, especially near the endgame.

SecretMoblin said:
Nobody except SE knows exactly, but I'd say you have a few more weeks at least -- and probably a few more months. And all you need is to connect once at Stornway Inn and every one of the quests and guests is unlocked permanently on your cart.
How exactly is this done? I'm going to pick the game back up here in the next week or so and try to play since I have more time now. What point in the game do I have to be at to download the content? I don't want to miss out.

RoninChaos said:
How exactly is this done? I'm going to pick the game back up here in the next week or so and try to play since I have more time now. What point in the game do I have to be at to download the content? I don't want to miss out.
Fairly early on in the storyline, once you get the spell "Zoom" and have reached Alltrades Abbey, you should be able to talk to Sellma at Stornway Inn (I think she's in green, she's standing next to the alchemy pot) and access the DQVC store. Upon connecting once, it will unlock all of the extra quests and special visitors. You don't need to buy anything or connect more than once. Once you're done, she will give you some vague language about quests being opened up and say something like "a special visitor has arrived at the inn!"

kai3345

Banned
I believe south to the port. If you
are done with the Jack-of-alltrades stuff

The port with the pink haired girl? I've already done that.

Sorry, I'm picking this game back up after a long hiatus, and I have no idea what I was doing.

The last town on my list for Zoom is 'Dourbridge' should I go there?

Sorry, I'm picking this game back up after a long hiatus, and I have no idea what I was doing.

No problem. Once you do the stuff in the port you should be able to get on a boat and sail to the east... Its been a while since I was there. I am sitting at the final dungeon but keep getting distracted by sidequests.

rpmurphy

Yeah, head out from the east side of town and go south from there.

Fairly early on in the storyline, once you get the spell "Zoom" and have reached Alltrades Abbey, you should be able to talk to Sellma at Stornway Inn (I think she's in green, she's standing next to the alchemy pot) and access the DQVC store. Upon connecting once, it will unlock all of the extra quests and special visitors. You don't need to buy anything or connect more than once. Once you're done, she will give you some vague language about quests being opened up and say something like "a special visitor has arrived at the inn!"

I've done that now. How do I access what's been unlocked?

I've done that now. How do I access what's been unlocked?

For the visitors:

In Stornway Inn, to the left of the main desk against the back wall you should see an elevator and an attendant. Talk to the attendant, and he will let you visit some very special visitors; if you're a long-time Dragon Quest fan, it's quite a treat.

For the quests:

The extra quests are simply unlocked now, but you probably won't be able to do most of them at the moment. If you go to your questlog you should see quests up to ~180 something (I think 184). You should be able to pursue these like normal quests once you meet the unlock requirements.

Oxx

Damn, I forgot to talk to the Inn guests on my birthday this year (I like to do things properly. No system-clock tinkering for me).

I guess I have to wait until next year to get those items.

Loto

Damn, I forgot to talk to the Inn guests on my birthday this year (I like to do things properly. No system-clock tinkering for me).

I guess I have to wait until next year to get those items.

This game will be a distant memory by next year, might as well change the DS clock

alf717

I got a nice deal on this game so I picked up IX and VI new. Still need to finish V but now I own the whole series at least.

ghibli99

Seeing names in here that were around *last* Christmas. LOL I haven't really touched it since then. Crazy to think that a year has passed since I was so heavily into this. Obsessively so, in hindsight!

Oxx

Is there anyone else who was super-into DQ9 left completely cold by what we have seen of DQ10?

It was the MMO-like item/armour/quest/grotto grind that made me put hundreds of hours into 9, but I'm not sure if I want to pay a monthly fee to do it on a console.

In fact, there's no way I'd be able to put that much time into a non-handheld game.

Is there anyone else who was super-into DQ9 left completely cold by what we have seen of DQ10?

It was the MMO-like item/armour/quest/grotto grind that made me put hundreds of hours into 9, but I'm not sure if I want to pay a monthly fee to do it on a console.

In fact, there's no way I'd be able to put that much time into a non-handheld game.

I felt that way when DQIX was originally announced; I had played through every game (except for VI, which I played shortly after IX's announcement) on a console. Not only was it going on a handheld, it was going on the DS, which was old tech when it was released. But Level-5 and SE did solid work and the game ended up being great.

I wasn't part of the rage brigade for DQIX and I'm not part of it for DQX, but what I'm hearing (and seeing -- those screenshots, ugh) doesn't make me feel great. I'm willing to give Horii and SE the benefit of the doubt, though. I really don't think the subscription will come to North America - at least for the first year or so - and I hope it doesn't come to Europe, either. Any inroads the franchise has been making in the West would be lost in an instant.

ghibli99

When DQ9 was announced, I wasn't a Dragon Quest player at all, so I have no memory of that time. When DQ10 was announced, though, I tried to stay positive. Screenshot after screenshot, I just felt more and more deflated as time went on. Cool to see the monsters, but it doesn't look like it has anything going for it right now.

At this point, I kind of just want it to pass so that hopefully the series gets back on track. Will I play it? Well, if it comes out and bombs or just gets a lukewarm reception with reviewers and players overseas, I'll likely skip it (as I skipped the online FF games). No sense in playing it just because it's DQ. However, if I can solo, bring my own party of NPCs around for harder quests, and it has a decent story, I'll bite. My life is too crowded as is that I really don't want to have to worry about getting online at certain times to play. This is why I don't play MMOs.

There seems to be an obvious demand for the series to return to the style of DQ8 (at least outside of Japan). I wouldn't mind that... just need things to be speedier in classic DQ fashion.

There seems to be an obvious demand for the series to return to the style of DQ8 (at least outside of Japan). I wouldn't mind that... just need things to be speedier in classic DQ fashion.

The demand for a return to "classic" Dragon Quest on a console is much, much stronger in Japan. There have actually been a few high-profile westerners (like Jeremy Parish over at 1UP) who have been generally supportive of the concept behind DQX. As usual, many of the folks on the internet who are getting enraged are people who joined the franchise at DQVIII or DQIX and appoint themselves authorities on what makes a "classic Dragon Quest game". Regardless, I think Aeana suggested (or maybe said outright) that DQXI was going to be a return to a long-form, single-player game.

And there are plenty of us who want a return to the style of DQV-VII, sprites and all, though that's out of the question for the main series at this point.

ghibli99

The demand for a return to "classic" Dragon Quest on a console is much, much stronger in Japan. There have actually been a few high-profile westerners (like Jeremy Parish over at 1UP) who have been generally supportive of the concept behind DQX. As usual, many of the folks on the internet who are getting enraged are people who joined the franchise at DQVIII or DQIX and appoint themselves authorities on what makes a "classic Dragon Quest game". Regardless, I think Aeana suggested (or maybe said outright) that DQXI was going to be a return to a long-form, single-player game.

And there are plenty of us who want a return to the style of DQV-VII, sprites and all, though that's out of the question for the main series at this point.
I love 2D, but I thought the monsters looked good and animated well in DQ8 and DQ9, so it's not a big concern of mine.

My main gripe is the speed. DQ9 was decently quick, but DQ8 was just a slog. It seemed to me that they were taking a page out of the FF manual to try and make things more cinematic. Things like LMS/MKS farming were incredibly tedious, and they didn't have to be. Glad they optimized things with DQ9, but it's obvious just how much slower battles are when you stack it up against anything from DQ7 and earlier.

This game is on sale at Best Buy for $5, I was thinking of getting it. Would you guys consider it to be a good introduction to the DQ series and to JRPGs in general?

For the visitors:

In Stornway Inn, to the left of the main desk against the back wall you should see an elevator and an attendant. Talk to the attendant, and he will let you visit some very special visitors; if you're a long-time Dragon Quest fan, it's quite a treat.

For the quests:

The extra quests are simply unlocked now, but you probably won't be able to do most of them at the moment. If you go to your questlog you should see quests up to ~180 something (I think 184). You should be able to pursue these like normal quests once you meet the unlock requirements.

Thanks, man!

zigg

This game is on sale at Best Buy for $5, I was thinking of getting it. Would you guys consider it to be a good introduction to the DQ series and to JRPGs in general?
Holy crap, thanks for the heads-up! Santa's gonna spoil my wife and daughter this year if store pickup comes through :D

Top Bottom