• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Multiplayer:

when you join someone's gameworld, do you bring your whole party or just your main character?

Aeana

Ermac said:
Not so sure if I dig the customizable characters. I would prefer if they had a look of their own. Can you just leave them on the default?

I know I'm probably in the minority here.
Well, "default" only applies to face/hair. The rest of the appearance changes with your equipment.

levious said:
Multiplayer:

when you join someone's gameworld, do you bring your whole party or just your main character?
Just your character.

Dineren

Banned
Finally! I really wanted to import it, but held off since I knew I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much in Japanese. I may end up buying four or five copies and giving them to friends. I really want this to do well!

Philthy

Does this game allow you to somewhat explore freely like in DQ8? I absolutely loved DQ8 and roaming around exploring for rare creatures and such, so I guess how similar is this to that?

No_Style

DQIX will be my first real attempt to get into the DQ franchise. I have an idea what I'm getting into, but I've been mostly oblivious to the details of the game.

To be honest, I only pre-ordered it because it was $25 at BestBuy.ca. :lol

BlueWord

One year later...

I hate the font they use in the localized version, but it can't dampen my excitement. Hopefully I can find some people to play with.

Edgeward

Man, this and P3P within a week. So many hours will be spent. It's too bad I don't know anyone near me who has a DS and likes DQ. But I'm sure the SP will be just fine for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Had it pre-ordered for a while now, can't wait! I even canceled P3P for this, because there's no way I have time for both. Not at the same time, anyway.

john tv

Hoping to get my copy early next week. Cannot wait! Spent over 100 hours with the JP version, and ready to do it all over again in English. :)

Oxx said:
I'm still flip-flopping on that issue.

There's only a 12-day difference, but I don't want to lose out on those extra NOE Nintendo stars.

The way I look at it, if I order from the US it will be here, at the earliest, on the Saturday before the UK release. I have enough to play at the minute so I don't mind waiting less than a week. Besides, I used GAME reward points so my copy is only costing ~£20 :)

MadmanUK said:
What pre-order goodies are retailers doing?

I know Play.com are giving a slime cap and Game are dishing out a slime keychain, anything else that looks better?

I somehow hadn't realised this before. It looks great! :D

Empty

looking forward to it. it's just a shame the EU release date is after i go abroad on holiday, as i loved IV and V as holiday games. their light mood just fits chilling in the sun so well.

JKTrix

Kotaku says Yuji Horii is going to be at the launch party at the Nintendo store on the 10th. I was just complaining about the Sunday release... if I really wanted to, i could make the 8 hour round trip to New York.

BitchTits

I know all the extra content is on the cart and it's just a case of timed unlocking, yes?

Does anyone know how this works with an imported copy from another region? Anyone who played the JP version outside Japan know?

Don't think I've ever used wifi capabilities of the DS at all.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
To those who played the JP version, how's the story? Good, bad, or forgettable?

Oxx

MadmanUK said:
What pre-order goodies are retailers doing?

I know Play.com are giving a slime cap and Game are dishing out a slime keychain, anything else that looks better?

Can't say no to a Slime keychain.

£24.99 is probably around the same price it would cost to import as well.

gblues

Banned
Um, so you put a * on "chance" in the thread title, and there's no * to cross-reference it with in the OP. Why is there a * on "chance"?

Aeana said:
Nope, they aren't changing anything related to that. Cammie said they would be organizing events for people to get together for it, but that's about it.
Total, utter and complete fail on Nintendo's part. It's not like they haven't had an absolute eternity to retool this feature, or at least the requirements for the game's unlockables.

And heaven help you if you're a completionist.
Needing to gather 1000 people's info in your inn using the "find friends" mode? Not to mention how slow and painful it is to gather treasure maps without this feature...
I'm just stunned they left this as is.

Fortunately the core game is damn good, with a metric TON of content. This game will happily suck as many hours as you've got to give. And if you're lucky enough to have a gaming buddy for the summer, multiplayer has its moments too.

Ermac said:
To those who played the JP version, how's the story? Good, bad, or forgettable?
The story is very typical Dragon Quest. That is to say, somewhat simplistic in terms of presentation, but charming enough. You'll spend most of your time doing optional (and some mandatory) quests, which rarely relate to your main journey but can flesh out the backstories of the dozens of otherwise throwaway villagers, travelers and townsfolk you meet. If you're the sort of person who digs that type of thing, this is a big plus. If the majority of the game being ultimately optional bothers you, it's a jarring change.

Also (very minor character spoilers) the "helper fairy" character polarized a lot of people in the Japanese version because they made her incredibly over-the-top teeny girl every time she opened her mouth, like totally mmmmkay? Very curious to see how they handled her localization, as she's central to the main plot (and I found her irritating right to the end).

Erdrick

A New DQ Game Approaches!! Command?

BUY PLAY

USE CALL IN SICK

Erdrick BUY's DQXI!! DQXI is wrapped in plastic and cannot move!!

Command?

Erdrick USE's WALLET on DQ9!!

DQXI counters for $34.99 dmg to his WALLET!!

Command?

Erdrick PLAY's DQ9 using DSLITE!!

DQXI uses Overture!!

Erdrick's productivity at work has decreased to 0!!!

Command?

Erdrick attempts to CALL IN SICK, but his BOSS blocks all routes of escape!!

Thou art dead.
(Workwise, anyway when I get this game.)

Heh... Anyhow...

A week and a half away... I can't wait until this comes. I've been with this series since it's start in English back in 1989. It's funny that in some ways, with Nintendo at the helm for publishing this, it's kind of come full circle for DQ in NA. The fact that it has similarities (Make your own party, for one.) to the best DQ ever (DQIII) is just the icing on the cake.

This game will not leave my DS probably until next year. I'm probably not going to touch anything else game-wise either.

Man... As soon as I hear the overture when I start the game up... It always sends chills up my spine. I can't believe it's finally going to be in my hands.

Hype +100000000000000000000000000000000000000

JKTrix

gblues said:
Um, so you put a * on "chance" in the thread title, and there's no * to cross-reference it with in the OP. Why is there a * on "chance"?

Aeana said:
The asterisk is there because DQ6 comes out after this, even though DQ9 is the one getting the big push.

. (now I understand why people respond with just a period)

I'm going to take a break from the backlog to play this. Probably not a good idea, I really shouldn't, but I cannot wait to play this. :D

Baloonatic said:
I really should play this series. Would I be ok starting with the DS remake of IV?
Absolutely. Make sure you play V as well, although I've heard it isn't the easiest to find nowadays.

rush777

Awesome Op Aeana!, can't wait for this. Quick question to those that have played the Japanese game, Is there any capturing of monsters similar to DQ 5 or 8 in IX?

rush777

lordoftherink said:
I'm going to take a break from the backlog to play this. Probably not a good idea, I really shouldn't, but I cannot wait to play this. :D

Absolutely. Make sure you play V as well, although I've heard it isn't the easiest to find nowadays.

I've played 4,5,7,8 and 5 kicks ass.

Oxx

As somebody who loved the close-knit friends and family dynamic of DQ5, will this game's rent-a-posse make me sad?

You'll spend most of your time doing optional (and some mandatory) quests, which rarely relate to your main journey but can flesh out the backstories of the dozens of otherwise throwaway villagers, travelers and townsfolk you meet. I

this is what i like in a dq :D

Tiktaalik

I've tried so hard to get my hardcore gaming coworkers excited this game but to no avail. I mean we have enough Peace Walker players to have multiple matches going on at once, yet I have a feeling I'm not going to be able play any bit of DQ9 multiplayer.

:'(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll pick it up for cheap or used later on. Since Nintendo is pushing, even if it does poorly. Should be an over abundance of copies.

This is day one for me! It looks like exactly what I wanted in a handheld Dragon Quest.
I am so excited that I even changed my avatar to my favorite Dragon Quest character. Had trouble finding much artwork though, so its very boring.

madara

shintoki said:
I'll pick it up for cheap or used later on. Since Nintendo is pushing, even if it does poorly. Should be an over abundance of copies.

Do that for like FPS or something, not DQ!
Its Tar and Feather time!

d+pad

Just pre-ordered the game through Amazon. Woo hoo! I haven't played a DQ game since the first on the NES...

Oh, and I really wish Nintendo of America had decided to launch this alongside a slick red DSi like they did in Japan. Not that I could afford it anyway...

Top Bottom