• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

This will be the first time I've bought a new game from GameStop in a long time. Amazon doesn't do well with Sunday releases :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I enjoy the DQ games but VIII is the only one I've finished. I'm at the end of VII but the 2nd or 3rd form of the archfiend kills me with his all blaze spell. I sold my fire armor for "supposedly" better armor. Maybe I should get it back. I have IV and V on DS, have played them sparingly but I like them.

KingDirk

Used a gift card to order this online and I just know it'll be forever before it comes in. =( Comes out right when I start working again too. :lol

Still incredibly hyped, though. Favorite RPG series by far, and in my top three franchises evah.

Vamphuntr

Might get it. I love DQ 4,5,7 and 8. What is keeping me on the fence is the impressions from J-GAF. It looks so good though. Is it possible to beat everything in single player like in Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker?

Kad5

Vamphuntr said:
Might get it. I love DQ 4,5,7 and 8. What is keeping me on the fence is the impressions from J-GAF. It looks so good though. Is it possible to beat everything in single player like in Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker?

What is J-Gaf's opinion on this?

alanias

Himuro said:
Can someone please explain how the job system works? How do I juggle classes? Is it best to stay one class the whole game?

Someone posted this elsewhere:

Is that about right?

That it's a tedious game full of flaws partly due to the job system hence why I asked about that specifically.

Is there an example of a JRPG with a job system that's not broken or exploitable?

Vamphuntr

Himuro said:
The problem is that when you change jobs you're sent back to level 1 and you don't retain your previous job skills which goes against the point of a job system. Forcing you to grind to get that job up to your other jobs levels. It sounds tedious as fuck and job systems are not tedious, they're crack in a game.

So we kinda need clarification on this.

:( Going back to level 1 and losing all of your skills is quite bad.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I accidentally hyped myself up for this game and now the idea of waiting two weeks kinda stings :/

Chris R

What percentage of the game is available to someone who wouldn't ever play it online? I mean is there stuff that is locked away for online players only? I have some giftcards at Best Buy so I'm considering this, but the heavy online focus is my thing.

eznark

Banned
For some reason I didn't think this was coming out til next Spring. What exciting news this thread is to me!

Boney

Banned
Oh man had forgotten and it's out of my budget.. I think I'm gonna have to wait till the end of the month or trade something in... decisions decisions...

So, um, I've never played a DQ game before because I'm not too into RPGs in general, but I'm willing to give this one a shot for some reason. Is it okay to play through this game without the multiplayer part or is that not a good idea?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
rhfb said:
What percentage of the game is available to someone who wouldn't ever play it online? I mean is there stuff that is locked away for online players only? I have some giftcards at Best Buy so I'm considering this, but the heavy online focus is my thing.
Iirc, online online gives you unlockable post- game quests and access to a shop. Not to big of a deal I guess.

bounchfx

changing this from action rpg to old school 1980 rpg was the worst move ever :(.

still pre ordered and bought. it looks beautiful, and I'm so glad you can customize your character.

Ricker

Andrex said:
Hey GAF, should I buy this game?

Does it have the Square Tax™?

No,well up here in Canada,I seen it at 34.99...the other DQ remakes on the DS,day one,where like 44 bucks...

I don`t think i`ll have a problem finding this one on the 11th or 12th but just in case,i`m pre-ordering tomorrow(from EBGames/Gamestop)

bounchfx said:
changing this from action rpg to old school 1980 rpg was the worst move ever :(.

still pre ordered and bought. it looks beautiful, and I'm so glad you can customize your character.
They released your action game, it's Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow.

I for one don't want to see such radical changes in DQ as familiarity is the biggest charm of the series.

I also concur with Himu.

Vamphuntr

Himuro said:
Can I make a dark skinned character in this?

I think that yes. Go to the UK site in the OP (US one is not fully up). Choose customization and you can create your character with a dark skin.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
The problem is that when you change jobs you're sent back to level 1 and you don't retain your previous job skills which goes against the point of a job system. Forcing you to grind to get that job up to your other jobs levels. It sounds tedious as fuck and job systems are not tedious, they're crack in a game.

I don't remember exactly how it worked, so some of this might be a little wrong but:

Jobs start at level 1 for each character. As you level up, a character gets various abilities, and they get points that they can invest into a skill for other bonuses/abilities, like you could in DQVIII. I think some stuff stays (like spells), and some stuff carries over to other jobs.

So for example, I remember I wanted the Paladin Job or whatever it was called for my hero since I wanted him to be more like the typical "DQ hero" and have healing spells in addition to being an okay fighter. But that Job couldn't equip swords, and well, I like swords. :p

Various jobs can equip swords and have a sword skill, and once you invest a certain number of points into the skill, any Job that character has can now equip swords. So I made my hero a Warrior, invested points into the Sword skill so I could equip swords, and then moved him to the Paladin class to get what I wanted.

It takes a different approach to the system. It's not like say, DQIII, where you can be a Mage then change jobs to become a Warrior that can cast spells. The trick is to be a Warrior, put in the points to learn to use swords and gain other stat bonuses and all that, and then become a Mage.

Himuro said:
Can I make a dark skinned character in this?

Yep.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
From reading the OP it seems like this is riffing on FFCC Echoes of Time? But with a turn-based battle system and no online? Hrm. :/

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
Okay. How much work do you have to do to pull your level 1 mage back up though?

It starts out a bit annoying, but my hero managed to keep up pretty well despite being at a lower level.

I'm not sure, but it seems like leveling's a bit easier in IX than it can be in others. Lower leveled characters seem to catch up quickly and balance things out provided you don't skip everything and run straight for bosses.

Hobbun

Not sure what this is all about being "last chance". Even though DQ outside of Japan doesn't sell anywhere near as much, I don't see it not continuing to be localized in the future. Unless that "last chance" was referring to something else.

bounchfx said:

Was going to answer this, but Himuro's response covered it. :lol

I loved DQ4 on the DS.

It's my only DQ game, but do all the games play and look similar? Would this be a good game for me?
One of the things I liked about DQ4 was that the enemies were all really cool looking, with very fluid animations. The characters were also very unique and had a ton of personality. Level grinding never felt like grinding because the variety was so good.

I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy.

Anyway, would I generally enjoy this game?

Aeana

Himuro said:

All right, it seems like you are incredibly confused about this. If you level mage to level 10, switch to warrior and level it to 13, then switch back to mage, your mage is still level 10, not 1.

The problem I had with the class system was that some of the skills you learn (mostly magic) do not carry over unless the new job has that skill line. For example, you learn a bunch of spells on mage through their magic skill line, and switch to warrior. Now, in DQ3, 6, or 7, the warrior would be able to use those spells. Not so in DQ9. Only another job with that magic skill line will be able to access those spells. So mage learns x, y, z spells, and switches to magic knight, and those x, y, z spells are still available, but if they switch to warrior or martial artist or something, they aren't.

Some abilities can carry over, though, like the abilities learned through any class's class-specific skill line, and also if you max a weapon skill line, that weapon becomes available to equip on any class for that character.

But you never lose progress like you seem to think. All of your progress in a job will be waiting for you when you switch back to it, and you can even continue leveling up a skill line on another job that has it (most skill lines are available to at least two jobs).

ghibli99

I just quit DQ7 after 40 hours... finished 1-5, but DQ7 was punishing by comparison. I really do hope they remake this and tighten the hell out of it.

I can't wait for next week's release of DQ9, though!

Nice OP, BTW. :)

Aeana

Himuro said:
Okay. This sounds good.

How do you know if a class has that skill line, though?
You can see a list of the skill lines each class has, and your progress in them, from the Dharma priest Jack of Alltrades, I'm pretty sure.

Wow, I really had no idea this was so close. The only DQ games I have beaten are 1&3 (SFC remake), and all the others I own but gave up on them pretty late in game. But I still think I am going to buy this anyway and add it to my pile. This one looks fantastic too. Can't wait to play.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Loved the shit out of the JP version, and I'm tempted to pick up the US version and play through it again (hopefully play some Multiplayer this time). It all depends on how quickly I can finish Xenoblade.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
You can see a list of the skill lines each class has, and your progress in them, from the Dharma priest Jack of Alltrades, I'm pretty sure.

Now that it has been resolved, it will be mine.

ManeKast

What are the chances the USA DS game will be region locked on DSi/XL? Anyone have info on this. Want to import to Australia.

Dineren

Banned
ghibli99 said:
I just quit DQ7 after 40 hours... finished 1-5, but DQ7 was punishing by comparison. I really do hope they remake this and tighten the hell out of it.

I hope you go back to 7 at some point. It can test your endurance at points, but it is very much worth it in the end.

I decided I'm definitely going to pick up a few extra copies for my brother and a couple friends at least. It's probably the only way I'll get to test out the multiplayer.

ManeKast said:
What are the chances the USA DS game will be region locked on DSi/XL? Anyone have info on this. Want to import to Australia.

I would say there is no chance it will be region locked.

ManeKast

Dineren said:
I would say there is no chance it will be region locked.
I hope its not, there have been very few games that have had region locking show up using DSi/XL, please dont be this one.

I will be in Japan from September 10 - 28 for TGS and other things, in Tokyo. WIll I be able to bring my DSXL with a USA copy of DQIX and play with other people/download maps etc? Or is the game region specific for content and multiplayer?

Aeana

ManeKast said:
I hope its not, there have been very few games that have had region locking show up using DSi/XL, please dont be this one.

I will be in Japan from September 10 - 28 for TGS and other things, in Tokyo. WIll I be able to bring my DSXL with a USA copy of DQIX and play with other people/download maps etc? Or is the game region specific for content and multiplayer?
We don't know yet, but that will be the first thing I test when get the US version.

Dineren

Banned
ManeKast said:

According to Jeremy Parish tag mode is region free. He doesn't mention the multiplayer, but I would imagine that would be the same.

ManeKast

Dineren said:
According to Jeremy Parish tag mode is region free. He doesn't mention the multiplayer, but I would imagine that would be the same.

Awesome. How much of the game should I play solo before joining in with others? Really would be great if I could download content when in Tokyo.

"And take your game if you're lucky enough to travel abroad, since U.S. copies of DQIX will tag with games from any region." - 1up. Sounds good to me!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
So is this another example of j-gaf blowing something completely out of proportion?
Your questions and confusions have been solved but yeah, people were blowing it way out of proportion minutes after the game's release.

Actually, it wasn't even J-GAF. In Aeana's JP thread, once people heard about it people were going nuts before us kids playing the game even really got anywhere. Questions were rolling out at a mass retard speed. "THE GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR TWELVE MINUTES, WHY CAN'T YOU TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME."

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Your questions and confusions have been solved but yeah, people were blowing it way out of proportion minutes after the game's release.

Actually, it wasn't even J-GAF. In Aeana's JP thread, once people heard about it people were going nuts before us kids playing the game even really got anywhere. Questions were rolling out at a mass retard speed. "THE GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR TWELVE MINUTES, WHY CAN'T YOU TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME."
I dunno... when I brought up my grievances, I got a ton of opposition from people. Did people start to agree with me later, or something? I felt like I was the only person who was unhappy about the class system.

ghibli99 said:

You made it 40 hours, why not continue? In all honesty, DQVII is a LONG ass game, but it's quality through and through and in a way that's pretty different from the other DQ games. Very enjoyable game, but one that I have trouble replaying due to time constraints.

Aeana said:
I dunno... when I brought up my grievances, I got a ton of opposition from people. Did people start to agree with me later, or something? I felt like I was the only person who was unhappy about the class system.

As far as I can remember that sounds about right. Back when you were bringing up those issues, there were a lot more people playing and posting however.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Freyjadour said:
This will be the first time I've bought a new game from GameStop in a long time. Amazon doesn't do well with Sunday releases :(
I rather save the $4 and wait the extra 2 days. I am in no short supply of games for my DS right now.

Kad5

Aeana said:

What about the class system do you not like specifically?

Top Bottom