• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Synless

Kad5 said:
What about the class system do you not like specifically?

Aeana said:
All right, it seems like you are incredibly confused about this. If you level mage to level 10, switch to warrior and level it to 13, then switch back to mage, your mage is still level 10, not 1.

The problem I had with the class system was that some of the skills you learn (mostly magic) do not carry over unless the new job has that skill line. For example, you learn a bunch of spells on mage through their magic skill line, and switch to warrior. Now, in DQ3, 6, or 7, the warrior would be able to use those spells. Not so in DQ9. Only another job with that magic skill line will be able to access those spells. So mage learns x, y, z spells, and switches to magic knight, and those x, y, z spells are still available, but if they switch to warrior or martial artist or something, they aren't.

Some abilities can carry over, though, like the abilities learned through any class's class-specific skill line, and also if you max a weapon skill line, that weapon becomes available to equip on any class for that character.

But you never lose progress like you seem to think. All of your progress in a job will be waiting for you when you switch back to it, and you can even continue leveling up a skill line on another job that has it (most skill lines are available to at least two jobs).

It was about half a page up.

Vamphuntr

July 11 eh? I'll try to finish Innocent Sin before then. Count me in. I love games with job systems. Since Aeana cleared the system confusion I checked some faqs and it looks great.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Aeana said:
I dunno... when I brought up my grievances, I got a ton of opposition from people. Did people start to agree with me later, or something? I felt like I was the only person who was unhappy about the class system.
What I recall is you were the only person playing it who was unhappy with it. There were tons of people who didn't have the game who were freaking out about it.

Question to those who know or who played the Japanese version.

How long is this game's single player? I know there are hundreds of hours when you play multiplayer, but how long is the solo play?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Day one. It's a shame i couldn't finish DQVII & VIII before this came out, however.;_:

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kad5 said:
oh sorry.

Well that doesn't seem like a big deal.
It never bothered me, but I like my characters limited in what they can do. It is a bit of a change from the way it was previously handled in DQ games. I found it worked well here due to the multiplayer (i.e. everyone had a role, it wasn't just DERP DERP DERP I'M STUPID POWERFUL), and the way the game was designed it worked well in the single player as well. That said, I wouldn't want it like this for every DQ with the class system. I like both ways just fine.

botticus

Uh... GameStop.com just started processing my preorder. It was one thing for the charge to show up on my card on the Thursday before shipping for S&P2, but it's a little excessive to charge me 10 days in advance.

Guess I need to cancel before I forget, though I was hoping for final confirmation from Golin Harris about my freebie before doing so.

Himuro said:
Can someone please explain how the job system works? How do I juggle classes? Is it best to stay one class the whole game?

Someone posted this elsewhere:

Is that about right?

That it's a tedious game full of flaws partly due to the job system hence why I asked about that specifically.
Just wanted to chime in as a member of J-GAF who played through the whole game and fucking loved it. It's in my top half of DQ games and it is far from tedious. J-GAF was split on this game. rk, johntv, jonnyram, and I all loved the hell out of it, while bebpo, duckroll, and shouta weren't so big on it.

Rpgmonkey

Dineren said:
According to Jeremy Parish tag mode is region free. He doesn't mention the multiplayer, but I would imagine that would be the same.

Good to hear. :D

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Question to those who know or who played the Japanese version.

How long is this game's single player? I know there are hundreds of hours when you play multiplayer, but how long is the solo play?

You can put in a lot of time with just the single player too. :lol

There's a lot of content in this game, and you don't need the multiplayer/social features to access all of it.

I suppose a straight shot through the main story would be around 40?

Synless

My only fear is not getting all the stuff from tag mode. I'm still in college and even with walking around campus, the summer season tells me I won't get many quests.

Drkirby said:
I rather save the $4 and wait the extra 2 days. I am in no short supply of games for my DS right now.

Normally I'd agree (hence my abundance of Amazon purchases), but I'll make an exception for DQ.

Aeana

Synless said:
My only fear is not getting all the stuff from tag mode. I'm still in college and even with walking around campus, the summer season tells me I won't get many quests.
Quests aren't exchanged via tag mode, but treasure maps are. The loss of the generated/exchanged treasure maps is certainly going to be crappy, though. They're randomly generated, and some of them were apparently really good and very elusive. They certainly kept people playing for a long time. :\

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
RevenantKioku said:
Questions were rolling out at a mass retard speed. "THE GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR TWELVE MINUTES, WHY CAN'T YOU TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME."

:lol :lol

Vamphuntr

It's good that Nintendo is publishing it. 35$ pricetag (no SE Tax) and they at least are trying to market it. I paid 45$ CAD each for DQ4 and DQ 5 DS so thank you Nintendo.

Kad5

This game better become popular.

This game could potentially be Dragon Quest's Final Fantasy VII in terms of popularity if Nintendo advertises it right.

Kad5

Himuro said:
Who would buy it? The Pokemon crowd?

Sure I don't see why not.

The only issue is that i've heard that the game is supposed to be the hardest Dragon Quest to date so that may turn some people off.

Vamphuntr

Kad5 said:

This game could potentially be Dragon Quest's Final Fantasy VII in terms of popularity if Nintendo advertises it right.

I don't think it will reach FF7 status anytime soon in the NA. Timing helped FFVII a lot. Few RPGs on the playstation plus the TV ads with the FMV helped a lot. There's many more factors too but that's one of the most important.

DQ has not done well in NA except VIII. IV and V remaked bombed really hard.

Boney

Banned
Kad5 said:

I really really doubt it. Maybe 2 years ago?

teekun

Himuro said:
Who would buy it? The Pokemon crowd?

If Nintendo has their way, everyone.

They're clearly not focusing on any one specific demographic. They want the Pokemon crowd as well as their parents, and brothers and sisters, etc.

Jonnyram

Himuro said:
Bebpo, Duckroll, Shouta
Maybe I just don't know what J-GAF means then. I thought the J stood for Japan, and J-GAF was people on GAF who live in Japan? :3
I can certainly see people who can't swap treasure maps not having that much fun with this.

Aeana

Jonnyram said:
Maybe I just don't know what J-GAF means then. I thought the J stood for Japan, and J-GAF was people on GAF who live in Japan? :3
I thought it just meant the regulars who play Japanese versions of games.

Hex

Banned
My first Dragon Quest game since Dragon Warrior on the NES.
Gimme!

Edit: This reminds me, I want to get my gf hooked on Jrpgs but she gets frustrated easily if swarmed and whatnot so turn based is definitely the way to go.
Any suggestions?

bluemax

Banned
Freyjadour said:
You made it 40 hours, why not continue? In all honesty, DQVII is a LONG ass game, but it's quality through and through and in a way that's pretty different from the other DQ games. Very enjoyable game, but one that I have trouble replaying due to time constraints.

As far as I can remember that sounds about right. Back when you were bringing up those issues, there were a lot more people playing and posting however.

Probably because he still has another 60 hours to go? And another 10 hours until the next character?

I stopped DQ7 after about 40 hours. It was an enjoyable 40 hours and all, but I could've beaten another JRPG in that amount of time, and another 1 in the time it would take me to finish. DQ7 meanders just a little too much for its own good.

Aeana

bluemax said:
Probably because he still has another 60 hours to go? And another 10 hours until the next character?

I stopped DQ7 after about 40 hours. It was an enjoyable 40 hours and all, but I could've beaten another JRPG in that amount of time, and another 1 in the time it would take me to finish. DQ7 meanders just a little too much for its own good.
Quantity over quality, eh?

DQ7 is definitely very, very long but I'm not really sure I agree with any assertions that it has bad pacing or meanders. It just has so much (maybe too much) content, and I actually think it's kind of amazing that it somehow manages that without having any filler.

Aeana

Himuro said:
So can you tell us about the story, people who have played this? I felt that ever since DQ4, DQ games has gained more and more intricate storytelling. DQ4, 5, and 8 are my highlights. Though I haven't played 6 because I've been waiting for the ds version. DQ8's story presentation was fantastic: voice acting for the first time in a DQ, and it had such wonderful characters too (the best cast in a DQ imo).

What worries me, and this has worried me since it has been unveiled that the tavern from III is back: is that they've reverted back to DQIII storytelling. In DQIII you create your characters, and since the main character is already mute, no one really talks. So there's zero pc interaction. And I'm worried that this will be present in DQ9, after DQ 7 and especially 8 went through great lengths to make the characters have more personality and charm.

I'm cool if it's DQIII style, so long as the storytelling is still up to DQ4, 5, and 8's standards.
Sandy (Stella in the English version) talks enough for everybody, really. I will say that I did miss the party chat feature despite her presence (especially since she is SO annoying), but the rest of the scenarios and storytelling are well above DQ3.

Aeana

Shalashaska161 said:
So how is the game when it comes to exploration? Is it FFXIII linear, or FFXII open?
Well, since the areas are smaller, I would put it slightly above the middle of those two games. It's nowhere near a tube RPG.

Aeana said:
Well, since the areas are smaller, I would put it slightly above the middle of those two games. It's nowhere near a tube RPG.
Good to hear. The classes system sounds pretty great too. I might end up buying this one.

Grampasso

I want to play this game in English - Italian RPGs translations are the worst things I ever read - but I'm not sure the Italian version will be multi with english included. Is there anyone working in the industry to already enlighten me about this? Otherwise I'll have to buy UK/US version >.<

Aeana

Andrex said:
Gorgeous graphics. :eek: Music seriously sounds like it's from a Pokemon game. :p
I saw you asking if you should try it out earlier. I think you should. It has the same sort of appeal as Pokemon, I think, even though it's a very different kind of game.

Grampasso said:
I want to play this game in English - Italian RPGs translations are the worst things I ever read - but I'm not sure the Italian version will be multi with english included. Is there anyone working in the industry to already enlighten me about this? Otherwise I'll have to buy UK/US version >.<

Have you ever played any of the DQ games on DS? I don't know about Italian versions but I do know that I have a EU version of DQ4 DS that has English, French, Italian, German and Spanish all on the same cart. The language you get in the game is determined by the language setting on your DS.

Grampasso

Aeana said:
I saw you asking if you should try it out earlier. I think you should. It has the same sort of appeal as Pokemon, I think, even though it's a very different kind of game.

Have you ever played any of the DQ games on DS? I don't know about Italian versions but I do know that I have a EU version of DQ4 DS that has English, French, Italian, German and Spanish all on the same cart. The language you get in the game is determined by the language setting on your DS.
Yes I got DQ IV and it's multi, I was just thinking that for some games - like 2nd Layton game - I got burnt because I thought it was multilanguage like the first. Instead they fully localized it (speech included), so I suppose there wasn't enough space to contain everything and the only version available to me was italian.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aeana said:

As I said before, I also have the two DS FFCC games and I love Echoes of Time. Great multiplayer and apparent equipment changes. But I wonder if I'll like DQ9 as much since its multiplayer is offline-only and it's turn-based...

Aeana

Well, I don't have much to say about the multiplayer, since I had absolutely nobody to try it with when I was playing the Japanese version. The singleplayer game is fun, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aeana said:
Well, I don't have much to say about the multiplayer, since I had absolutely nobody to try it with when I was playing the Japanese version. The singleplayer game is fun, though.

Good. I love visible equipment changes. ^_^

Maybe you'd have found someone to play multiplayer with if the game was online. :p

ITA84

Grampasso said:
The Italian translations of DQIV and V aren't bad, at least compared to the English ones; most names are changed and the dialogue is heavily localized in both. The only difference is that the English vesion may bother you less because you don't know much about its dialects and inflections.

I still remember the horrible Italian translations from the early PSX days, those are the worst things I've ever read.

Almyn

I am forcing myself to wait for the UK release on the 23rd, Which is tough but hopefully I can finish Rune Factory 2 before DQIX is released. It feels like i've been waiting forever for it to be released as it is. Only a few more weeks now.

I love games where new armour and weapons are displayed on the characters. I will play the crappiest of games if I can actually see that new helm I just bought displayed on my character . I wish more games did that.

bluemax said:

But I'd be assured an enjoyable 60 hours. DQVII is amazing in that it does manage to be such good DQ for so long. The sheer scope of the game is really impressive.

The only thing I'd agree on is the slow SLOW build of a party, but that's kind of a DQ thing. It's just so much more apparent in a game as long as VII.

Finish that 60 hours, you'll be glad you did.

squall211

Freyjadour said:
But I'd be assured an enjoyable 60 hours. DQVII is amazing in that it does manage to be such good DQ for so long. The sheer scope of the game is really impressive.

The only thing I'd agree on is the slow SLOW build of a party, but that's kind of a DQ thing. It's just so much more apparent in a game as long as VII.

Finish that 60 hours, you'll be glad you did.

I second that. I actually did just that. I had put in about 50 hours into DQ 7 over the past years. I'd play a few hours here and there and lose interest, but about 5 weeks ago I decided it was time to beat the game. Another 50ish hours later (for a total of about 100), DQ7 was finished, except for the bonus dungeons. I'm glad I put the time in. It was time well spent.

Top Bottom