• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Well I finally picked this gem up today. Ran into of a bit trouble at Gamestop, though.

When I asked the clerk if they had it, he told me they only had one copy and it was a pre-ordered one. Then he said he'd sell it to me only if I preordered Call of Duty Black Ops, a game I had no intention of buying full price.
Needless to say, looks like I've been had and will be getting Black Ops :lol

Link Man

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
It's more along the lines of, "I'm obsessive and my party has to be perfect."

I'm thinking of just continuing to put the points into sword and shield on my minstrel until I can switch him into a Warrior, and just remaking my party into maybe a Priest, Mage, aaaand... Not sure what the last one will be.

I really do wish there was a way to change my points. I should write a letter to Mr. Hori... Wonder if he can read in english? :/
Martial artists are pretty nice in this game (think Alena from DQIV, but with skills).

Serenade said:
Well I finally picked this gem up today. Ran into of a bit trouble at Gamestop, though.

When I asked the clerk if they had it, he told me they only had one copy and it was a pre-ordered one. Then he said he'd sell it to me only if I preordered Call of Duty Black Ops, a game I had no intention of buying full price.
You know, that's just wrong.

kai3345

Banned
Serenade said:

just go back and cancel your pre-order

PusherT

What are the chances that Enix would sell the DQ franchise to Nintendo? If thats a little extreme how about a Nintendo-Enix-Armor Project collaboration? I just ask because it seem like Nintendo of Japan is real close to the Enix side of SE and Hori had some of biggest success with Nintendo.

Sqorgar

Banned
Serenade said:
I'm no lawyer, but that sounds illegal to me.

Foxix Von

Serenade said:

The eff? Get the district/store managers number and complain. That's not right under any circumstance.

Serenade said:

What Kai said. Cancel the pre-order when someone else is working there.

Teknoman

cosmicblizzard said:
What Kai said. Cancel the pre-order when someone else is working there.

You can cancel it at any time really. No rule that says they cant give you your money back. Also they should've received at least 5. I was the only one who preordered at my Gamestop, and we got in 5 copies. Its really not a big RPG centric area.

firex

PusherT said:
What are the chances that Enix would sell the DQ franchise to Nintendo? If thats a little extreme how about a Nintendo-Enix-Armor Project collaboration? I just ask because it seem like Nintendo of Japan is real close to the Enix side of SE and Hori had some of biggest success with Nintendo.
0.00000001%

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jersoc said:
Does this game not support WPA? I can't get it to work and I see no advance setup.

freakin lame if so.
The DS does not support WPA, only the DSi does. A game has to be DSi exclusive in order to utilize WPA.

PusherT said:
0%. Would be an insanely stupid move.

Nintendo's inclusion would be pointless but if you want something there's Dragon Quest Swords which was partly developed by the Nintendo-affliated (but not owned) Genius Sonority.

and, You're Wrong.

Hex

Banned
PusherT said:

Not a chance in hell.
DQ is big enough in Japan to make Enix boatloads in sales and merchandising.

kiryogi

Banned
Yay started. Got my copy before work but didn't get to play until way late last night. Had to catch up on the Evo finals first.

dq9.png

Thinking about it. I should have went with the meaner looking eyes. Oh well. I have 3 other chars to do that with.

Teknoman

Really liking the Grandia style addition of running around/ up to the enemy or ally during battle. DQ IX battle theme is awesome too :D

ryan-ts

Looks like I'll finally have to grind a little, damn you Zere Rocks boss!

but bless Zoom for it is all merciful....straight to Zere Rocks I go with full MP.

Just got it about a hour or so in and yep this game is good. The last DQ I played was DQ3 for the gameboy and I didn't finish it. I'm actually liking the world so far despite my character looking high all the time. Hope it keeps it up.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
:lol I'll probably head out to cancel the preorder sometime this week when the weather cools down. At least I got a poster out of it, I guess

In the mean time, DQ action!

Door2Dawn

Banned
JKTrix said:
The Observatory, where the Yggdrasil tree is. You can get there by summoning the train from one of the glowing blue trees on the world map.
I've been talking to the tree but nothing happens, am I suppose to talk to someone else?

Hex

Banned
Loving this so far, it is crazy how far some of you are already :D
This is the most fun that I have had playing a game in a while now and that is no small feat.
Even the little touches make this great.

Door2Dawn said:
I've been talking to the tree but nothing happens, am I suppose to talk to someone else?
You have to go far south-west of Alltrades, to the port town.
There's no specific cutscene that tells you to go there, but some NPCs will tell you they saw a "flashing star" down south. (yeah, I talk to every NPC I see)

JKTrix

Door2Dawn said:

Oh, I didn't even go to the tree after I got my first fygg, I just kept 'moving'. I went to the tree just now and it doesn't do anything. Just carry on with the game (the boat in Porth Llaffan will take you somewhere new).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I went ahead wandering through the new continent and saved the little town with the fish lady and opened up the next part but I am still just wandering around the continent looking for that stupid priest! Where is that little bitch!

I can't enter the huge tower and someone in the first castle has said he was talking to the bar lady about a fygg, and she said he was talking to the martial artist, and he said he was talking to the bar maid! AAAAAAH

p.s. the game whips ass

Aeana

lobdale said:
I went ahead wandering through the new continent and saved the little town with the fish lady and opened up the next part but I am still just wandering around the continent looking for that stupid priest! Where is that little bitch!

I can't enter the huge tower and someone in the first castle has said he was talking to the bar lady about a fygg, and she said he was talking to the martial artist, and he said he was talking to the bar maid! AAAAAAH

p.s. the game whips ass
One of the NPCs at the abbey tells you that
you need to bow in front of the door to the tower in order for it to open. And IIRC someone there also teaches you the bow party trick.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Aeana said:
One of the NPCs at the abbey tells you that
you need to bow in front of the door to the tower in order for it to open. And IIRC someone there also teaches you the bow party trick.

Oh god I am such an idiot, I thought that NPC was talking about shooting a bow, not bowing.

GOD

BooJoh

Okay so I just read some things that make me feel better about the skill system. You can apparently max 24 of the 26 skill trees if you level every class to 99 on a single character. You should expect to have
less than 400
skill points by the end of the game. Also,
once you get a class to level 99, you can apparently reset that class to level 1 while keeping your skill points. Effectively allowing you to max every skill tree if you put the time into it.

I'm hoping all of this info is true, because that makes me feel a lot better about the fact that I'll probably never want to start the game over for fear of losing DLC or tag maps, etc.

Llyranor

So re: the job system, if I understand this completely, only skills (and weapon skills if both classes have it) carry over from previous jobs to your current one, right? Spells don't, nor do weapon skills that aren't available with the current job. Are any other (passive?) abilities passed over?

Overall, how would you compare the job system to other non-DQ ones out there?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
BooJoh said:
Okay so I just read some things that make me feel better about the skill system. You can apparently max 24 of the 26 skill trees if you level every class to 99 on a single character. You should expect to have
less than 400
skill points by the end of the game. Also,
once you get a class to level 99, you can apparently reset that class to level 1 while keeping your skill points. Effectively allowing you to max every skill tree if you put the time into it.

I'm hoping all of this info is true, because that makes me feel a lot better about the fact that I'll probably never want to start the game over for fear of losing DLC or tag maps, etc.

You got a long long way till level 99, and especially till level 99 with all your characters. Stop stressing about whether or not perfection is theoretically possible and just enjoy! Do you really think you'll play the game for That Long anyway?

BooJoh

lobdale said:
You got a long long way till level 99, and especially till level 99 with all your characters. Stop stressing about whether or not perfection is theoretically possible and just enjoy! Do you really think you'll play the game for That Long anyway?
I have no idea. :lol But since I'll probably never want to wipe my save and start over, I just want to make sure I won't/can't mess up my character.

Parham

Banned
I have never played a JRPG before, other than Pokemon and Final Fantasy X. I feel like I'm missing out by not, at the very least, giving a couple games from the genre a try. For that reason, I am contemplating either buying Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest IX. Which one would be a better starting point for someone who is relatively new to traditional JRPGs?

Gravijah

azentium said:
I have never played played a JRPG before, other than Pokemon and Final Fantasy X. I feel like I'm missing out by not, at the very least, giving a couple games from the genre a try. For that reason, I am contemplating either buying Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest IX. Which one would be a better starting point for someone who is relatively new to traditional JRPGs?

Chrono Trigger for the first time? Man, play that. That's my second favorite SNES RPG ever (which is saying something) after EarthBound. Hard to go wrong with a Dragon Quest, though!

Hex

Banned
azentium said:
I have never played a JRPG before, other than Pokemon and Final Fantasy X. I feel like I'm missing out by not, at the very least, giving a couple games from the genre a try. For that reason, I am contemplating either buying Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest IX. Which one would be a better starting point for someone who is relatively new to traditional JRPGs?

DQ IX seems a little more beginner friendly but then I have not played Chrono since the SNes days.
(I have it on DS just have not reached that point in my backlog yet)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
azentium said:

Dragon Quest IX is good. Really good. But play chrono trigger first. Its an absolutely amazing game.

Gravijah

Since I'm still trying to find my DS... Are there job levels AND character levels? Like, once I hit character level 99, no longer able to level up jobs?

ryan-ts

Someone stuck on a staircase needs my help! Does anyone know where I can get some special medicine? I ran across some earlier in the game but I had to use it in a boss battle.

Link Man

Banned
Gravijah said:
Since I'm still trying to find my DS... Are there job levels AND character levels? Like, once I hit character level 99, no longer able to level up jobs?
Job level and character level are the same. When you switch jobs, your character reverts to level 1. If you switch back to a previous job, your level returns to that which you had when you last held the job.

ryan-ts said:
Someone stuck on a staircase needs my help! Does anyone know where I can get some special medicine? I ran across some earlier in the game but I had to use it in a boss battle.
Go back to the inn in Stornway, you can make some in the alchemy pot there.

Gravijah

Link Man said:
Job level and character level are the same. When you switch jobs, your character reverts to level 1. If you switch back to a previous job, your level returns to that which you had when you last held the job.

So I can basically level everything to 99 if I really wanted? OK, life is goooooood.

Top Bottom