• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Link Man

Banned
Gravijah said:
So I can basically level everything to 99 if I really wanted? OK, life is goooooood.
Most certainly, if you have the patience.

It seems you might not be able to fill all the skill levels for a single character, though.

Yottamole

Banned
Is there a way to reorder the lineup of party members without dropping them back to Patty? In past DQ games you could do it in the Tactics menu, but here you can only choose to put character in front or back for the battles...?

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Good news! I have DQIX sitting right next to me!

Bad news! I can't find either of the DS'!
success_baby.jpg

ryan-ts

Link Man said:
Go back to the inn in Stornway, you can make some in the alchemy pot there.

Thanks, I definitely should have at least tried the alchemy thing at least once but I was too busy going through the rest of the game.

botticus

Himuro said:
I really wish you could edit appearances because I'm on the verge of deleting my party and remaking them.

In fact, I might. I'm going to wait till I encounter metal slimes before I do.
I found two pretty early on. I think one was one of my first full-party fights, but he got away.

I just took a boat ride, think that's a good place to stop for today. I'm kinda debating changing up my mage, but it almost seems worse to throw away all the points I put in Spellcraft than to go on with a character who hits for 1 HP most of the day.

Are there any other classes that use wands besides the priest and mage?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What is it about Dragon Quest games that actually make me interested in the random shit the townspeople say?

I've only beaten the first dungeon and I've already spent almost three hours, most of them reading what the people of Angel Falls tell me.

Regulus Tera said:
What is it about Dragon Quest games that actually make me interested in the random shit the townspeople say?

I've only beaten the first dungeon and I've already spent almost three hours, most of them reading what the people of Angel Falls tell me.
Yea, I love doing that too. Dragon Quest V DS was pure bliss for me. I would talk to every town member, and then use party talk (if I had human party members) multiple times after talking to each individual. So good.

Synless

kiryogi said:
Yay started. Got my copy before work but didn't get to play until way late last night. Had to catch up on the Evo finals first.

dq9.png

Thinking about it. I should have went with the meaner looking eyes. Oh well. I have 3 other chars to do that with.
I chose everything you did, except I chose the mean eyes. I was thinking I should have chose the eyes you have.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Oh lordy. We're going to have to work harder on our wardrobe, aren't we Mr. Hero? :lol

lvl13kuraine.jpg

One day, I will be beautiful. Until then... I am a fabulous Scottish pirate clogger.

Koomaster

Hcoregamer00 said:
*HIGH FIVES*

Can't have enough Sailor Moon :D
*high fives back*

Here are my girls so far...

DQ9Crew.jpg

I'm thinking about making a minstrel for Sailor Venus so I'll have someone in my party using whips. I think that will fit Venus since she has the whole Venus Love Me Chain attack. ^____^

Dineren

Banned
So far this game has been fantastic. It feels like the perfect handheld RPG. I was a bit worried about the frame rate when i heard the complaints, but so far it hasn't bothered me at all. Text speed seems only a tad too slow which doesn't bother me that much. Combat is fantastic and seeing all your characters in their custom armor running around fighting is great (though maybe after thirty more hours of it I'll wish you could skip it). My characters look pretty pathetic at the moment, just a bunch of random items, but there is something fun about being able to change their look so drastically at will. It really makes me regret tag mode all the more when I go through my empty inn. Hopefully that can be rectified with the Gamestop event, but I'm not hopeful. Here is my current lineup:

paulsmall.jpg
emilysmall.jpg

sarahsmall.jpg
gwildorsmall.jpg

Foxix Von

Koomaster said:
*high fives back*

Here are my girls so far...

DQ9Crew.jpg

I'm thinking about making a minstrel for Sailor Venus so I'll have someone in my party using whips. I think that will fit Venus since she has the whole Venus Love Me Chain attack. ^____^

*internet fist bump*

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have a theory that maybe regarding the way the text was displayed they simply weren't able to get the engine to crunch it out any faster. You'll notice in some graphics-heavy areas the rate that the text blocks onto the screen becomes less fluid and the sound effects as it appears drags a little.

Maybe it just wasn't possible or reliable to allow the player to indicate a speed and the engine just prioritizes it as "at most this fast, but whatever we can get it to do at the time will work."

Sallokin

Only about 3 hours in, but I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to really get into the meat of the game. First dungeon was pretty easy. I remember older DQs being sooooooo hard at first lol.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I hope everyone is enjoying their game. Mine arrived earlier today so I might forget everything today and sink some hours into it.

Picked up my copy yesterday. Hope to start playing at some point this weekend. Really been looking forward to this since playing DQ IV on a plane.

BooJoh

Okay, just want to clear something up. I'm still slightly confused on Class Skills vs. Spells vs. Weapon Skills.

Spells = Learned by level, doesn't carry over to other classes

Weapon Skills = Learned with skill points, only carries over to classes that have that weapon tree, unless you master it, at which point you can use it with any class.

Now here's where I'm confused:

Class Skills = Learned with skill points, carries over?

If I put 25 points into Litheness, then change class to a Warrior, will I still have Hot Lick, Spry in a Crisis, Pratfall, and Natural Charm +30 as a Warrior?

speedpop

Yes, that is correct. Everything you "learn" in the Skill points section carries over no matter what class you choose from there on out, it merely depends on the weapons you can carry as to whether you can use those abilities or not. So if you selected Hot Lick, then changed over to Warrior, you can still use Hot Lick, but your Whip abilities cannot be used since Warriors can't use whips.

It's when you learn spells whilst leveling that will not carry over. So if you are a Minstrel then decide to become a Martial Artist, your Heal ability is gone because you learnt it through leveling.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Himuro said:
Question for people posting pics. Some of you don't have certain pieces of armor equipped. Like headbands, or shields, for certain characters. Are you placing self inflicted rules on who can equip what, or are you merely buying and equipping armor because it looks nice? Because at the point I'm at, all my characters can equip turbans, but by doing that, the entire party looks the same.

Suffice to say, I don't like the armor display system so far.

U crazy

andymcc

Banned
Himuro said:
Which would you rather have? A gimped party or characters that all look the same? I think characters can share too many pieces of armor. Like, mages shouldn't be able to equip armor, only robes and light clothing.

i think you might have a problem. : (

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Re: Zoom - Only takes like 30 seconds to run from most towns to a nearby dungeon though!

Re: Armor - Through no real fault of my own, it wasn't until maybe 7 hours in that all my characters had all their armor slots with something in them. Often times I don't buy a piece of equipment for Everyone if it'll only raise a stat a couple points, I just go with the one who needs it most and just buy one, then cycle the old equipment around. I also don't necessarily pursue the latest and greatest in every town, my dudes are already pretty strong. This way my characters do stay sufficiently equipped and each one gets their important unique pieces, but they also look unique.

Also: just cause mages CAN equip armor doesn't at all mean that they should... my mage's focus is magic damage and I equip anything that increases that stat, defense be damned. Gotta focus on the benefits for your character's intended specialization.

jaxword

Himuro said:
Which would you rather have? A gimped party or characters that all look the same? I think characters can share too many pieces of armor. Like, mages shouldn't be able to equip armor, only robes and light clothing.

My fantasy immersion was also ruined by this conformity of dress. I prefer the unchanging solidity of the old sprites, never changing for the entire game. Feh to this, I say. Feh.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
Give it time. My party isn't looking at all similar right now but they were pretty samey at the start.
Think of it as a group of poor ass motherfuckers who can only afford the same shit.
You're the father or mother of four, and your ass doesn't have time to be choosin' shit. Get the gear and get going.

speedpop

Himuro said:
Pretty much all of my characters look the same despite each having a different class. Tsk tsk.
Luckily your early impressions will make you look like a fool around the level 15+ mark.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Himuro said:
I am level 15!

I will take your word for it!

Coffinwell

I'm not much farther than you and im picking gear that is good for specific classes and my party looks VASTLY different.

It's also fun to see the gear evolution as they become more powerful imo.

Just give it more time.

Regulus Tera said:

The spent so much time in the Celestial Observatory at the beginning of the game exploring and doing this.

You know a game is good when you feel like you've played for a bit, but have time for just a little more before falling asleep, only to look at the clock and see it's four o'clock in the am.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
I will take your word for it!
I didn't care as much as you seem to do, but here I am after I hit Dharma. As you can see I only had six hats. I have a shit load of hats now. The thing is there are a lot of equipment in this game that do different things. So if you want your characters to have speed, they'll have to equip certain items. If you want your characters to have the top defense at the expense of other things, yeah, I'd imagine they look a bit samey. I wanted my Fighter and Thief to be defensive at that point so they look similar. I don't have a new picture of where I am now (mid 30s) but they look quite different.

Jerk

Banned
lordoftherink said:
The spent so much time in the Celestial Observatory at the beginning of the game exploring and doing this.

You know a game is good when you feel like you've played for a bit, but have time for just a little more before falling asleep, only to look at the clock and see it's four o'clock in the am.

You know a game is evil when this happens.

speedpop

Gravijah said:
Pretend your group is a gang or something.
:lol "The Bucketheads"

Himuro said:
I am level 15!

Coffinwell
After you get out of there, you'll start to run into armor that is more suited toward different classes. Warriors will look like Warriors, Priests and Mages will wear stylized robes, etc.

Level 20 for all my guy's and at the middle of coffinwell......got some cheese its and cool aid and plan on playing the rest of the night.

I love me some metal slimes!!

Eteric Rice

lobdale said:
You got a long long way till level 99, and especially till level 99 with all your characters. Stop stressing about whether or not perfection is theoretically possible and just enjoy! Do you really think you'll play the game for That Long anyway?

I'm at ease just knowing I can max them if I try hard enough.

My friend should be happy too. But he's the kind of guy that put over 1000 hours into Tales of the Abyss. :|

Anyway, I was wondering. I went to
find out about the nursery ryme of the Wight Knight, and after I did it I went to bed. I forgot what they told me to do next. :lol

What do I do, GAF?

speedpop

Heading to the World Map if you forget what to do is a lifesaver. It should bring up a "The story so far..." description.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did that 2 volume strategy guide ever come out in Japan, and did anyone ever get it?

I know there's a guide out here, but it's just a standard brady guide apparently. I'd pay whatever for a beautiful collector's guidebook set.

speedpop

My problem at the moment is configuring some sort of class layout for my own character. I have my three companions sorted out, what skills to pick up and which classes to choose to max them out (since you essentially get 100 skill points at level 38) and a rough guide as to their end class.

Top Bottom