• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

joelseph

djtiesto said:
So, any reports on how well this game is doing? When I went to my local Best Buy, they only had one copy left (and it was hidden off in a separate section filled with Nintendo first-party DS titles), and no guides. If that means anything...

I went into BB after a few hours of them being open. The punk kids working there "forgot" to stock it and I had been the first to ask.

TxdoHawk

So, I was reading about how there was an extremely famous and desirable treasure map that made its way all over Japan, apparently because something was ridiculously good about the dungeon it spawned. Anyone have more info on what this was, and why it was so good? Just curious, since it seems to have been awesome enough to spread far and wide.

Jeels

Segata Sanshiro said:
DQ8 didn't have framerate problems. It had loading time problems. And those loading time problems were a direct result of L5 pushing more than they should have or needed to. In the English version they were particularly awful, due to the voices, new menus, and extra animations being shoehorned in without sufficient optimization.

I believe that was to make the game more appealing to a North American audience, and it totally worked. I personally preferred the new visual menus, the voices (I'm actually really missing voices in IX), and animations. Made the games much more livelier to me.

Jeels said:
I believe that was to make the game more appealing to a North American audience, and it totally worked. I personally preferred the new visual menus, the voices (I'm actually really missing voices in IX), and animations. Made the games much more livelier to me.
Yeah, along with packaging it with an FF demo, all SE had to do to sell DQ to the Western audience was to compromise one of its core values: speed.

I liked the voices, and using the symphonic score was nice. The rest of it was unwelcome stuff that slowed down a game that's supposed to be blazing fast.

Jeels

Well I wouldn't even know since I started with Dragon Quest 8. As of now it's still my favorite, and I've played some of VII and beat all the DS remakes so far. Although I have to say, IX is definitely coming in second.

Ledsen

TxdoHawk said:
So, I was reading about how there was an extremely famous and desirable treasure map that made its way all over Japan, apparently because something was ridiculously good about the dungeon it spawned. Anyone have more info on what this was, and why it was so good? Just curious, since it seems to have been awesome enough to spread far and wide.

You're probably talking about a map that has easily accesible floors with those huge metal slimes (Metal King Slime???) that give tons of experience.

Rpgmonkey

djtiesto said:
Just formed my party outside of Stornwall and now am grinding to get some good weapons for the rest of them... really like how the world is much bigger than the DQ4 and 5 remakes, not sure if I like the quest system yet, I'm just worried it'll mean lots of grinding for loot later on down the line.

So far I have a minstrel (lead char), martial artist, white mage, black mage.

Some of the quests can be a tad grindy (especially if you aren't too lucky with ones involving monster drops), but a good number of them are more about proper planning/timing in battle than farming loot.

Chances are if you get really into doing quests, you won't really be overleveled, but you'll build up a nice amount of gold. It's really easy to get and burn through a lot of gold in DQIX though.

TxdoHawk said:

IIRC it was a dungeon
that had a floor that had no other enemies but the metal slimes, which of course makes it really easy to level up and get skill points
(is this spoiler-worthy? eh), but someone else may know about in more detail.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
GeekyDad said:
Yeah, there's no denying, it is kind of a generic approach, but on the other hand, it gives the player all the room in the world to tinker. I just let the game decide three characters for me and rolled with it, but you do get the option of creating characters from scratch.

I'm loving the game so far, and really, I can't understand why reviewers have taken issue with the story. It seems to take a similar approach to Zelda with the whole silent-protagonist thing, and even though I remember having distinct characters in IV and V, I don't remember them having much to say. The stories in these games always seem to revolve around your character, and it works...for me, anyway.

I'm about 12 hours in. There's not much I would change about the game, really. It's a very classic RPG in spite of the new things they've added. I've got no problems with that. It's fun, it's well written, and holy cow, there's a lot to do. I spent 30 minutes just fooling around with alchemy the first time the option opened up to me.

I love the whole aspect of "creating a team of heroes and save the world." It reminds me of DQ3, the first Dragon Quest game I played and one of my favorite games of all time.

Even with having a team of 4 unknowns to save the world, the narrative and the gameplay is so great that it really does take away from having character-based storytelling. It really shows the power of great writing and great game flow compared to many modern games.

314pjzb.jpg

This game has some truly beautiful scenery.......

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mr. Wonderful said:
With the year they took to localize this game, did Square-Enix add anything to the US release?
They added the best thing they possibly could have. A kickass localization! ;p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Quest transgressed with finesse!

:D <3

Volcynika

I'm glad (this is just me) the character creator stuff isn't too extensive, I always get stuc kand wonder "will I really like this later.......I dunno..."

I'm not far into it, but I'm interested.

ACE 1991

Loving the game so far, but I have a question. Should I basically treat my created party members as an extension of myself, paying attention to gear as I would for my own character?

Volcynika

Edgeward said:
Anyone get their copy from amazon yet? I have prime yet the estimate for it is not until the 14th. =(

Amazon usually doesn't ship until Mondays for Nintendo games, and with Prime 2-day shipping, you'd have to wait till Wednesday.

I have never played a DQ all the way through and I have not played a Japanese RPG besides Pokemon in years but, I picked this up anyway and I really like it. I think the best change to the series has to be that they got rid of random battles and now have monsters that you have to run into to go into a battle like in Chrono Trigger. I wish Level 5 made a Chrono Trigger kind of like this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow, this is the first time I find a DQ game interesting. Hopefully I don't stop midway just like Tales of Innocence.

And I hope this is the first DQ game that I'll finish.

ULTROS! said:
Wow, this is the first time I find a DQ game interesting. Hopefully I don't stop midway just like Tales of Innocence.

And I hope this is the first DQ game that I'll finish.
Wow...

I guess it really depends on WHEN you've tried to play the other ones. When they originally got released?

Max

I am not Max
Weird that i'm level 16 and still a Minstrel. I assume once I find this Abbott person i'll be able to actually become a Warrior. What happens with my skill points once this happens?

Max said:
Weird that i'm level 16 and still a Minstrel. I assume once I find this Abbott person i'll be able to actually become a Warrior. What happens with my skill points once this happens?

They are still spent. But you gain more since you'll be a Lv1 Warrior, I presume.

Aeana

Himuro said:
When do I fight enemy parties that are bigger than 3?
They show up a few hours in. And anything that can summon more will eventually expand to at least 8. You need 8 slimes to form a king slime, after all.

Bentendo

Can someone tell me when I'll get a permanent partner??? For the record I just got past the
white knight boss, and the princess has told me to go to the city west of the lake.

Thank you!

Yaweee

Bentendo said:
Can someone tell me when I'll get a permanent partner??? For the record I just got past the
white knight boss, and the princess has told me to go to the city west of the lake.

Thank you!
Wait, did you solo the Wight Knight? You can create and recruit permanent members in the castle town.

Aeana

Bentendo said:

Thank you!
Go to the inn in Stornway and talk to Patty to create/recruit party members.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mailenstein said:
Wow...

I guess it really depends on WHEN you've tried to play the other ones. When they originally got released?

I played VII and VIII but got bored (despite push 15 hours in VIII). I tried out DQIV on the DS and got bored too.

Bentendo

Yaweee said:
Wait, did you solo the Wight Knight? You can create and recruit permanent members in the castle town.

What? I could have had another partner in that fight??? Damn, I was wondering why it was so hard. I still can't believe I beat it. :lol I used practically all of my heals and my medical herbs, and used my special evading spell twice. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID I AM. :lol

EDIT:

Okay, it's asking me what type of vocation I want the partner to be. What do you suggest?

dream

Bentendo said:
What? I could have had another partner in that fight??? Damn, I was wondering why it was so hard. I still can't believe I beat it. :lol I used practically all of my heals and my medical herbs, and used my special evading spell twice. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID I AM. :lol

EDIT:

Okay, it's asking me what type of vocation I want the partner to be. What do you suggest?

Oh god, I just did the exact same thing at level 12. :(

Aeana

Bentendo said:

EDIT:

If you can't decide, another melee (warrior/martial artist/thief), a priest, and a mage is a very safe bet. But you can get by with just about anything.

Yaweee

It's a Dragon Quest tradition to make vital gameplay mechanics possible to overlook completely (see: Monsters in both DQ8 and DQ5)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Edgeward said:
Anyone get their copy from amazon yet? I have prime yet the estimate for it is not until the 14th. =(
Amazon says that it has been delivered where I work. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

The reason why I ship it to where I work is UPS takes priority of 'business' addresses, so it will arrive with someone there to sign it at around 11am instead of sometime late like 5 if it was delivered at home.

andymcc

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I played VII and VIII but got bored (despite push 15 hours in VIII). I tried out DQIV on the DS and got bored too.

DQVIII is much slower than the other mainline entries due to the overbloated US version, see all of Segata's posts about it.

DQIV is actually a departure from the norm due to the chapter system.

you should try DQV, it's my personal favorite.

Aeana

Yaweee said:
It's a Dragon Quest tradition to make vital gameplay mechanics possible to overlook completely (see: Monsters in both DQ8 and DQ5)
You won't get very far (or find much enjoyment) in a Dragon Quest game if you don't talk to NPCs, that's for sure.

andymcc

Banned
Drkirby said:
Amazon says that it has been delivered where I work. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

The reason why I ship it to where I work is UPS takes priority of 'business' addresses, so it will arrive with someone there to sign it at around 11am instead of sometime late like 5 if it was delivered at home.

i live in a business district, across the street from the local government buildings and always get my FED EX and UPS stuff around 11 AM to 12 PM, guess that's why. :lol

botticus

I really wish I could rename characters right now. My Martial Artist would be Donatelleonardo. I have no camera, but Tortoise Shell armor, blue Bandana, and Oaken Pole and blue
Boomer briefs!
. So good!

Bentendo

Aeana said:
If you can't decide, another melee (warrior/martial artist/thief), a priest, and a mage is a very safe bet. But you can get by with just about anything.

Wait... you're telling me that this whole time I could have had FOUR party members? 0_o

Bentendo

Himuro said:
I don't understand people who don't talk to npcs. Sure, maybe when you replay it, but the first time?

I talk to every NPC, but when I went to Patty and she said recruit FRIENDS, I just thought she meant multi-player. I wasn't really paying attention. :lol

I'm still a minstrel with a thief, priest, and mage.
I just finished the Wight Knight story arc and received my reward from the king of Stornway.
How far am I from being able to choose a new vocation? Also, am I only able to change the hero's vocation, or can I alter the vocation for all party members?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
andymcc said:
i live in a business district, across the street from the local government buildings and always get my FED EX and UPS stuff around 11 AM to 12 PM, guess that's why. :lol
Yep. Heck, I am a bit surprised you didn't get it even sooner, I would think government offices would get a bump up in timing, but I guess they may want to wait till midday in case anything is also going out.

Also, Amazon shipped my copy out at 5:15 pm on Saturday,

ULTROS!

andymcc said:
DQVIII is much slower than the other mainline entries due to the overbloated US version, see all of Segata's posts about it.

DQIV is actually a departure from the norm due to the chapter system.

you should try DQV, it's my personal favorite.

Will try that if I get to finish DQIX. :p

eznark

Banned
Yaweee said:
fuck, I didn't know that! I just leveled to beat him and was going to come in here and bitch at you guys for saying it was easy!

And yes, I talked to Patty but I also assumed she meant real life friends. I even went back to the Inn after dying once to talk to all the adventury looking people to see if I could ask them to join me!

Went to K-Mart to pick this up, and they were completely sold out. The last thing that sold out from there was Pokémon Colosseum. Hopefully this is a sign for good things to come.

And they only had 3 copies of Megaman Zero Collection left.

andymcc

Banned
Drkirby said:
Yep. Heck, I am a bit surprised you didn't get it even sooner, I would think government offices would get a bump up in timing, but I guess they may want to wait till midday in case anything is also going out.

Also, Amazon shipped my copy out at 5:15 pm on Saturday,

the closest fed ex distro center is about 40 min. away from where i live. ups is actually a little earlier, usually.

ryan-ts

I just beat the third dungeon and I'm ragin ragin ragin!

This game is so great btw, I feel like I'm speeding through it though.

andymcc

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
Went to K-Mart to pick this up, and they were completely sold out. The last thing that sold out from there was Pokémon Colosseum. Hopefully this is a sign for good things to come.

And they only had 3 copies of Megaman Zero Collection left.

i had to ask kmart to get the game out of the back.

i got that $10 game gift card from the purchase, hopefully they have DQIX left. i'm picking it up for my GF.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
andymcc said:
the closest fed ex distro center is about 40 min. away from where i live. ups is actually a little earlier, usually.
I tend to prefer UPS to Fedex, but I have no problem with ether. I did get annoyed the one time I had a package from DHL (Which I didn't know still delivered in the US), and instead of knocking on the door or ringing the door bell, just left a note saying I wasn't home, despite me being in a room 15 feet away from the front door. And it was a Friday too D:

USPS tends to be pretty good, never had any major problem with them. When I had a PO Box, the thing was great, only time it sucked was the times at 11PM after work, going to see if I got anything, and just seeing a little slip saying I had a package but needed to pick up at the front desk, which closed 6 hours ago. Worse was when the package could of easily fit into one of the tiny lockers they have for overflow.

That reminds me, I still am waiting for a CD bought from Hong Kong 5 months ago, to be shipped to that PO Box. I hope if it ever finds its way back, its before the mail redirect expires

Top Bottom