• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Just hit the Abbey but I'm a bit under leveled at the moment (17 on my main and like 11-12 on my party members). Gonna grind here and switch up to Warrior since I enjoy using swords and shields on my main and don't really wanna change up too much. I like moving from town to town doing these different little stories more so than having one big over-arching one.

GeekyDad

Anyone know if (haven't tried it myself yet) you can switch vocations, level up, save the skill points, then return to your old vocation and spend the skill points on those skills?

Koomaster

Himuro said:
Question for people posting pics. Some of you don't have certain pieces of armor equipped. Like headbands, or shields, for certain characters. Are you placing self inflicted rules on who can equip what, or are you merely buying and equipping armor because it looks nice? Because at the point I'm at, all my characters can equip turbans, but by doing that, the entire party looks the same.

Suffice to say, I don't like the armor display system so far.
I have loads of armor/shields/weapons I've found that would give boosts to my characters, but I'm obviously going for a theme look for my party, so I'm only equipping what works with that. It's not a big deal so far as I keep my character's levels up and keep watch on their health levels which has kept everyone in tip top shape. No need for coffins as of yet.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
GeekyDad said:
Anyone know if (haven't tried it myself yet) you can switch vocations, level up, save the skill points, then return to your old vocation and spend the skill points on those skills?
Yeah. I maxed out Swords on my hero early by getting quick points from Mage.

Edgeward

Volcynika said:
Amazon usually doesn't ship until Mondays for Nintendo games, and with Prime 2-day shipping, you'd have to wait till Wednesday.

Well poo, mine shipped Saturday but Prime estimates haven't been wrong so far. Sadly, in this case. =(

My team (haven't gotten to the job change Abbey yet):

4789466770_681e590dc6_o.jpg

Loving the game so far!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just got started:
hero.jpg

I think I am going to make my healer look like Josuke, due to his hair style being one of the options :lol

Ledsen

Asking again since no one answered last time:

I've got the japanese version, and I've played it until I got the Inn, also got 100+ treasure maps from ppl in Tokyo. The thing is, I want to replay the beginning without losing all my maps. Is this possible or will I have to erase my save file to even start a new game? It doesn't seem like I can, but I want to make sure. It's so stupid to only have one save file :(

Tiktaalik

Text speed comments surprise me. Compared to many RPGs I've played it's very brisk. It could be faster, and I could read it faster, but it's fast enough that I really don't feel the urge that it needs to be bumped up.

With battles it's a good thing that it spits it out all at once, since that text I only psudo-read anyway.

Are folks finding the text from normal game exploration/conversation too slow or are there special situations where the text gets even slower? Someone mentioned recipes. I haven't gotten that far yet.

rpmurphy

All in all, Nintendo publishing DQ9 is pretty great. Better marketing, no SE tax, and Club Nintendo points.

I'm already spending too much time with the game, and I haven't even entered the first castle yet. :lol

Anyone else do this Gold-plated Golem quest yet? I don't imagine there's any trick to it, but I'm getting tired of walking circles to fight Gold Golems. (At least the pay is good.)

Tiktaalik

Himuro said:
It's mostly the fact that previous DQ's have faster text. We've been spoiled.

Really? I've been playing DQ4 and 5 over the last year and I really didn't notice it. :lol

I'll have to go back and have a look. Is there a text speed option in 4 and 5? If so perhaps I don't have it cranked all the way to the limit in those games.

Tiktaalik said:
Text speed comments surprise me. Compared to many RPGs I've played it's very brisk. It could be faster, and I could read it faster, but it's fast enough that I really don't feel the urge that it needs to be bumped up.

With battles it's a good thing that it spits it out all at once, since that text I only psudo-read anyway.

Are folks finding the text from normal game exploration/conversation too slow or are there special situations where the text gets even slower? Someone mentioned recipes. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'd probably be fine with slow text speed if I found the dialogue more interesting. Most of the time, I can predict exactly what the character will say.

Still, it's just a minor annoyance. Not a game breaker by any means.

Bloodworth said:
Anyone else do this Gold-plated Golem quest yet? I don't imagine there's any trick to it, but I'm getting tired of walking circles to fight Gold Golems. (At least the pay is good.)
Ok, so after an hour or more, I finally got it.
Reward is 1000 gold, although I suppose the real reward is the 20,000 I walked away with trying to find the thing.

Grampasso

/hate US citizens :lol

Btw is the level tied to the job or to the character? Question out of the blue, I still have to get the game since I live in euroland :/ Your latest posts would suggest the former or am I wrong?

Gravijah

Grampasso said:
/hate US citizens :lol

Btw is the level tied to the job or to the character? Question out of the blue, I still have to get the game since I live in euroland :/ Your latest posts would suggest the former or am I wrong?

Just job level, friend.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Speaking of early quests, here's one I never figured out. Quest 24
The scarecrows near the third town.
More specifically
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET THEM TO RUN FROM YOU?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Argh, I just made it to Stornway and it just settled in that I don't like my Hero's hair color or face type.

Time to start all over. (Still loving this game)

can't believe it's 4 am already

ryan-ts

On the topic of Zoom to dungeons, it took me right to the end of the Zere Rocks dungeon. There's an interesting element to the end of that dungeon though and I haven't gotten far enough to see if Ill only be able to zoom to Zere Rocks.

Rpgmonkey

Ledsen said:
Asking again since no one answered last time:

I've got the japanese version, and I've played it until I got the Inn, also got 100+ treasure maps from ppl in Tokyo. The thing is, I want to replay the beginning without losing all my maps. Is this possible or will I have to erase my save file to even start a new game? It doesn't seem like I can, but I want to make sure. It's so stupid to only have one save file :(

I restarted the Japanese version too. Don't think you can save your Tag Mode people/Inn/maps, or even start a new game without erasing your file.

Seeds

Aeana said:
Go to the inn in Stornway and talk to Patty to create/recruit party members.

... :lol

For some reason, I assumed she was talking about inviting friends and never bothered talking to her again.

Having reached alltrades abby with one character, I knew I had either missed something or I sucked at DQ.

Grampasso

Gravijah said:
Just job level, friend.
Thx... so it's like FFXI. So not putting in the possibility to reset points makes sense, I suppose in the end you'll have way more points than needed, and you can trial and error with all your party except for the main character since I assume you can handle the party like Etrian Odyssey?

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
What is it about Dragon Quest games that actually make me interested in the random shit the townspeople say?

I've only beaten the first dungeon and I've already spent almost three hours, most of them reading what the people of Angel Falls tell me.
Well, they're designed so that talking to NPCs is actually worthwhile. Horii touched on this in the new Iwata Asks. Each NPC has a little bit of the puzzle, and talking to everyone reveals a big picture.

Volcynika

Edgeward said:
Well poo, mine shipped Saturday but Prime estimates haven't been wrong so far. Sadly, in this case. =(

Thing is, it doesn't really 'ship' on Saturdays. They basically get it ready for the carrier by making it where they either have it at the closest distribution center or if UPS/Fedex comes by in the morning, they'll get it. Yeah, it kinda sucks.

Rpgmonkey

Regulus Tera said:
Will I be screwed if I choose a 1 male 3 female party in terms of equipment? Because I wanna pull a Butz I mean Bartz.

Most equipment is dependent on class, not gender.

Usually stuff that only a male/female can equip often has a version for the opposite gender.

Gravijah

Damn I forgot how much I loved handheld games. With this and MGS:pW, I can play a few minutes, an hour, however long I want, shut the game, go read or do something else, and open it back up whenever I want to play. So awesome. :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Regulus Tera said:
Will I be screwed if I choose a 1 male 3 female party in terms of equipment? Because I wanna pull a Butz I mean Bartz.
I'm curious about this too, because i'm rolling with a all-female party.:lol i completely forgot there was gender-specific equipment in DQ games.:(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh God leather hats are so ugly.

That +3 Defence and +2 Magical Mending is tempting... but they're ugly!

Rpgmonkey said:
Most equipment is dependent on class, not gender.

Usually stuff that only a male/female can equip often has a version for the opposite gender.

Sweet!

Finished the Ranger quest last night. Game has definitely taken a step up in difficulty and I'm going to have to consider another healer because the last big boss fight ran me dry with my healer having 4 MP at the start of the fight. 40 MP just doesn't cut it anymore :lol I need to finish up Fans so I can move on to higher MP pools and Hustle Dancing.

Probably gonna spend some time getting one of each class thus far to 15 because that class gear is so nice to have to equip at level 1.

Oh yeah, and I upgraded my Tortoiseshell Fan to a Black Tortoiseshell Fan. Farming Royal Soil was very tedious but rewarding!

Mudo

I picked this up on Sunday at noon and as of last night when I went to bed have put about 14 hours into it. I don't remember the last game I played this much of so soon - it's really pulled me in. I have 2 questions though :

-How do I get these downloadable free quests I hear about? I don't see a way in the game anywhere?

-The instruction book said someting about a WFC store you can connect to for rare merchandise but I have no idea how to get to this either??

I'm trying to think of any negatives so far...let's see, I have heard the music is a letdown to some but I find it great and my significant other does some stupid little dance move when he hears the battle theme LOL. The story so far has been simple/cool/charming - everything I expect in a Dragon Quest game. This series has so much more heart than most RPG's. The graphics are better than I expected though I do miss the detail on the enemies from the 4 and 5 remakes. I don't quite understand how to change classes yet - or god I hope you can do that in the game because I would like to change 1 of my people already.

To wrap up, <3 <3 <3 <3 DQ9

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ExtraKr1spy said:
Martial Artist - Stay with Fists or use a claw? dis/advantages?
Mine uses a fan :lol

PS: when I got the ability to change jobs yesterday, I went, "...You mean, if I want to keep EXP levels more or less even in my party, I can switch the hero's class so the experience gets dumped in a different job while I level grind my other characters? :D" (One maining a different profession up till now)

"And I can change any character to any job? :D"

"And I can keep my abilities? :D" (Btw: Do you keep ALL traits, or only those you can allocate points to? IE: do you keep the Agi + 20 trait you can get from the thief's job-specific skill set even after you change proficiencies? Can you make your priest a melee fighter from bonuses to your strength you can get from the warrior's skill set?)

"And I can grind from level 1 all over again, if I want? For every class in the game? :D"

Top Bottom