• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

kai3345

Banned
Has anyone had any luck with tag mode in the US?

I've had my DS everywhere with me today, included crowded shopping centers, and a gamestop, yet still no hits.

Sqorgar

Banned
Himuro said:
I don't understand people who don't talk to npcs. Sure, maybe when you replay it, but the first time?
I'm not sure that a lot of players new to the DQ series realize that the NPC dialogue changes. They are used to that one line NPC standard that they never speak to anybody more than once.

Eteric Rice

So, does anyone know if you can max out skill points?

Because I just realized my main character was a different class than I thought. :(

And I don't want his points to be where they are. :/

Sqorgar

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
So, does anyone know if you can max out skill points?

Because I just realized my main character was a different class than I thought. :(

And I don't want his points to be where they are. :/
Don't the points carry between classes? Like you can earn points towards swords from both warrior and minstrel? I thought that this was how it worked, but I haven't gotten to job changing yet.

A question for those in the know, if I put points into a class specific area that gives me +10 magic mending, does that bonus carry over between classes or is that only while in the cleric class?

Koomaster

Picked the game up yesterday and am not too far in. Only just now got to the part where I can create more party members. Here is my main girl tho...

dq9usagi.jpg

Going for a Sailor Moon theme with my party. Have Sailors Mercury/Mars/Jupiter created, but haven't got any appropriate outfits for everyone yet. So far I've just bought them all gloves and high heels. :lol

Aeana

Sqorgar said:
Don't the points carry between classes? Like you can earn points towards swords from both warrior and minstrel? I thought that this was how it worked, but I haven't gotten to job changing yet.

A question for those in the know, if I put points into a class specific area that gives me +10 magic mending, does that bonus carry over between classes or is that only while in the cleric class?
Yes and yes. Anything learned from a class's class-specific skill line is learned permanently immediately.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Bentendo said:
I talk to every NPC, but when I went to Patty and she said recruit FRIENDS, I just thought she meant multi-player. I wasn't really paying attention. :lol
LOL same thing to me...I spent so many hours XPing up and whatnot then randomly talked to Patty and saw that I could get people into my party

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ugh Brady made the official guide? By chance is it any good?

I was kind of hoping the game would go on sale a little cheaper near launch, but I guess not.

Ivor's sister(?) is asking me to show her some tricks, does she mean party tricks? She's asking for a "Pratfall" or a "Sobering Slap". Are these tricks you get later or just some random NPC dialogue?

Aeana

Gunloc said:
Ivor's sister(?) is asking me to show her some tricks, does she mean party tricks? She's asking for a "Pratfall" or a "Sobering Slap". Are these tricks you get later or just some random NPC dialogue?
Those are minstrel skills from the litheness skill line.

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
Yes and yes. Anything learned from a class's class-specific skill line is learned permanently immediately.

So can I max out everything or not?

I'm OCD about this shit. I'm seriously considering restarting the game. :|

I kind of fucked up my main character. He's a minstrel with sword weilding and shield skill. -_-

Aeana

Gunloc said:
Ah, I see. I'm still near the beginning of the game, will she still want to see them later on when I acquire them?
I thought that was just flavor text. It doesn't initiate a quest, right?

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
So can I max out everything or not?

I'm OCD about this shit. I'm seriously considering restarting the game. :|

I kind of fucked up my main character. He's a minstrel with sword weilding and shield skill. -_-
You didn't mess up at all. If you switch to, say, warrior, those sword/shield levels will follow you. I don't know if you can max everything, but there really are enough skill points to learn at least most skills for certain.

Aeana said:
I thought that was just flavor text. It doesn't initiate a quest, right?
Nope, no quest. I thought she might give you something if you did the tricks for her but it's impossible to have those skills at the point in the game I'm at, so it's probably to some random discussion.

Thanks.

JavyOO7

None of my friends have the game even though I've told them all to get it. Its still a great game, though. How do I get the DLC stuff the game has?

Aeana

JavyOO7 said:
None of my friends have the game even though I've told them all to get it. Its still a great game, though. How do I get the DLC stuff the game has?
You'll get any unlocked DLC quests whenever you connect to the wifi shop (DQVC), which unlocks at around the same time as the class changing.

Aeana said:
You'll get any unlocked DLC quests whenever you connect to the wifi shop (DQVC), which unlocks at around the same time as the class changing.
Where do those quests show up? I connected yesterday, but only bought an Agility Ring.

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
You didn't mess up at all. If you switch to, say, warrior, those sword/shield levels will follow you. I don't know if you can max everything, but there really are enough skill points to learn at least most skills for certain.

How do I switch his classes?

Aeana said:
I don't know if you can max everything, but there really are enough skill points to learn at least most skills for certain.
skill seeds can be dropped or found in blue chests later on, so with lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of grinding it's possible

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
Where do those quests show up? I connected yesterday, but only bought an Agility Ring.
There aren't any yet. If they follow the Japanese pattern, the first one will unlock on Friday.

Eteric Rice said:
How do I switch his classes?
You have to play a ways into the game before you're able.

But really, relax. I replied to you about your concerns yesterday, but I guess you didn't see it. Many classes have overlapping skill lines, and they aren't independent. Any points you put into swords on one class will show up on another class that has swords as an available skill, and once you master a weapon skill line, you will be able to equip that weapon on all classes. Also, and this might help you, I hope: unspent skill points can be spent on any class. If you earn skill points on minstrel and don't spend them, they will be available to spend on any class you switch to. The system is very friendly and it is like, completely impossible to screw up.

Zero-Crescent said:
I chuckled at the
Inn trophy
pun,
the Inny
. :lol
Think about the innkeeper's daughter. How was her name spelled? Only then will you discover the genius of the translation. ;-)

(Wish my japanese coworkers hadn't erased their save games though, really wanted to try Tag mode...)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Koomaster said:
Picked the game up yesterday and am not too far in. Only just now got to the part where I can create more party members. Here is my main girl tho...

dq9usagi.jpg

Going for a Sailor Moon theme with my party. Have Sailors Mercury/Mars/Jupiter created, but haven't got any appropriate outfits for everyone yet. So far I've just bought them all gloves and high heels. :lol

*HIGH FIVES*

Can't have enough Sailor Moon :D

Ledsen

I've got the japanese version, and I've played it until I got the Inn, also got 100+ treasure maps from ppl in Tokyo. The thing is, I want to replay the beginning without losing all my maps. Is this possible or will I have to erase my save file to even start a new game?

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
There aren't any yet. If they follow the Japanese pattern, the first one will unlock on Friday.

You have to play a ways into the game before you're able.

But really, relax. I replied to you about your concerns yesterday, but I guess you didn't see it. Many classes have overlapping skill lines, and they aren't independent. Any points you put into swords on one class will show up on another class that has swords as an available skill, and once you master a weapon skill line, you will be able to equip that weapon on all classes. Also, and this might help you, I hope: unspent skill points can be spent on any class. If you earn skill points on minstrel and don't spend them, they will be available to spend on any class you switch to. The system is very friendly and it is like, completely impossible to screw up.

This is kind of confusing.

Right now I have a minstrel, a priest, and a warrior. The minstrel is pretty much sword and shield only at the moment. The priest is pretty much all in... The prayer or faith or whatever skill it was. The warrior is also sword and shield.

So, since my minstrel already has skill in sword and shield I shouldn't bother getting it on my Warrior?

Shit is confusing bro.

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
This is kind of confusing.

Right now I have a minstrel, a priest, and a warrior. The minstrel is pretty much sword and shield only at the moment. The priest is pretty much all in... The prayer or faith or whatever skill it was. The warrior is also sword and shield.

So, since my minstrel already has skill in sword and shield I shouldn't bother getting it on my Warrior?

Shit is confusing bro.
Let me lay it out for you: there is only one "sword skill." Minstrel's sword skill and warrior's sword skill are the same. That means if you put points into sword on minstrel, you're also putting points into sword for warrior. That means if you have put 28 points into sword on minstrel, and you switch to warrior, you'll find that your sword skill on warrior has 28 points in it.

This applies to all skill lines. Almost every weapon skill is shared by at least two classes. Only the bottom skill for each class is unique to that class.

Does that help?

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
Let me lay it out for you: there is only one "sword skill." Minstrel's sword skill and warrior's sword skill are the same. That means if you put points into sword on minstrel, you're also putting points into sword for warrior. That means if you have put 28 points into sword on minstrel, and you switch to warrior, you'll find that your sword skill on warrior has 28 points in it.

This applies to all skill lines. Almost every weapon skill is shared by at least two classes. Only the bottom skill for each class is unique to that class.

Does that help?

Sort of I guess.

But I meant that these are all seperate characters.

botticus

Aeana said:
Only the bottom skill for each class is unique to that class.
Oh, that's good to know. Obvious in some cases, but I wasn't sure if some of the later classes would share some of those skills.

carlos

So I played for nearly 12 hours straight, while avoiding this thread and anything on gamefaqs....

***turns out I got the boat before getting the alchemy pot OR doing the abbott quest to change classes***

where's that "you're doing it wrong" pic...smh

I remember going to the abbey and hearing that the abbott wasn't there so I said "whatever, maybe he'll be back later" and then I never went back

Quick question, does anyone have an idea on how the exp point system work? my main character is suddenly earning 1/2 to 1/3 the exp in comparison to the other members; is that related to changing classes, or once you hit a preset level, the exp gained starts to go down? It later started happening with another team member...

botticus

Synless said:
Oddly enough, it is the same collection I have!!!!!! It must be fate!!!!!!

Where Can I get that slood!?!?!?
Pointy Hat + Slimedrop

carlos said:
Quick question, does anyone have an idea on how the exp point system work? my main character is suddenly earning 1/2 to 1/3 the exp in comparison to the other members; is that related to changing classes, or once you hit a preset level, the exp gained starts to go down? It later started happening with another team member...
Opposite to pretty much every other RPG I can remember playing, exp is proportional to level. So fighting the same enemy with a level 1 character will net you a fraction of what a level 10 character gets.

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
Sort of I guess.

But I meant that these are all seperate characters.
You're asking if because you're using swords on your minstrel character, if you should use swords on your warrior character? Well, that's up to you. Just keep in mind that every single character in your party will probably change classes at least once, and sword isn't available to all classes, which means odds are that you will be putting points into multiple weapon skills on each character anyway, unless you go ahead and take swords to 100 before doing anything else, in which case you will then be able to equip swords on every class (on that particular character) no matter what.

If that's not what you're saying, I guess I'm kind of lost.
But... really, just go with the flow. Like I said, there's almost nothing you can do to screw up to the point of being unable to progress. It's just however you want to build your characters.

Aeana

Yaweee said:
I don't want to know WHERE the Abbey is, but after what major city can I first find it?
After completing the
Coffinwell
area quest, the story will take you toward the Abbey.

Yaweee

Aeana said:
After completing the
Coffinwell
area quest, the story will take you toward the Abbey.

Thanks!

The text speed, talking to villagers, and exploring has gotten a lot more interesting now that I can accept quests and am regularly finding multiple recipes in every bookcase I check.

Are there any classes that have a Boomerang specialization?

Aeana

Yaweee said:
Thanks!

The text speed, talking to villagers, and exploring has gotten a lot more interesting now that I can accept quests and am regularly finding multiple recipes in every bookcase I check.

Are there any classes that have a Boomerang specialization?
Yes,
ranger, sage and superstar/luminary
all get the boomerang skill.

Aeana

2mIfS.jpg

Boots are uglyyyyyy, but they protect against lightning attacks which has been really helpful. Hope to find/make some better ones soon. Most of the cuter ones I've seen aren't equippable by rangers. :\ Also, lots of the good pants I can make are male-only... so I'm stuck with these pop socks for now. At least you can't see them!

Crazymoogle said:
Hrm. None of the classes are gender specific this time, right?
Right.

gblues

Banned
I got my copy last night! I was pretty stoked because I haven't bought a game on day 1 in.. forever. I think it was either Oblivion or Civ 4.

Stupid GameTag, my usual haunt, was trying to charge the Squeenix tax ($39.99?? FUCK NO). I went to Walmart (about 30 seconds away) and got it for $34.96.

I've played up to the point where you leave the starter area. My thoughts:

1) Love the music and art design.
2) You got Final Fantasy in my Dragon Quest! (The icons that pop up over characters' heads are ripped straight out of Final Fantasy XII)
3) I laughed hard at the
"WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!" moment when the Inny is whipped out.
4) The ending to the Wight Knight is very sweet.

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
You're asking if because you're using swords on your minstrel character, if you should use swords on your warrior character? Well, that's up to you. Just keep in mind that every single character in your party will probably change classes at least once, and sword isn't available to all classes, which means odds are that you will be putting points into multiple weapon skills on each character anyway, unless you go ahead and take swords to 100 before doing anything else, in which case you will then be able to equip swords on every class (on that particular character) no matter what.

If that's not what you're saying, I guess I'm kind of lost.
But... really, just go with the flow. Like I said, there's almost nothing you can do to screw up to the point of being unable to progress. It's just however you want to build your characters.

It's more along the lines of, "I'm obsessive and my party has to be perfect."

I'm thinking of just continuing to put the points into sword and shield on my minstrel until I can switch him into a Warrior, and just remaking my party into maybe a Priest, Mage, aaaand... Not sure what the last one will be.

I really do wish there was a way to change my points. I should write a letter to Mr. Hori... Wonder if he can read in english? :/

Top Bottom