• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

ExtraKr1spy said:
Martial Artist - Stay with Fists or use a claw? dis/advantages?
Fists are great for the main game, but get outclassed by the high attack on the post game weapons. Due to the fact that it is post game though, you could enjoy the awesome fist skills now and later train claws when you're drowning in skill points.

Gravijah

Freyjadour said:
Fists are great for the main game, but get outclassed by the high attack on the post game weapons. Due to the fact that it is post game though, you could enjoy the awesome fist skills now and later train claws when you're drowning in skill points.

Which weapons get OP late? Would like to... ahem. plan ahead. ;p

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/dragonquestevent/

Don't know if it's been posted yet but gamestop will be offering a free downloadable special events map for this game in their stores on 7/31 from 1-4 pm.

Gamestop said:
Connect & Play
Get Your FREE Downloadable Special Event Map at participating stores listed below on 7/31 from 1-4PM for The Ultimate Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies Experience.Here's how it works:
•Bring your Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSiXL and your Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies game to receive the Special Event Map. You will need to make sure you have unlocked Quester's Rest in Stornway before being able to receive the map via Tag Mode.
•Participate in assisted walk-through, guided multi-player modes and connect with other Dragon Quest fans!

GaimeGuy said:
Mine uses a fan :lol

PS: when I got the ability to change jobs yesterday, I went, "...You mean, if I want to keep EXP levels more or less even in my party, I can switch the hero's class so the experience gets dumped in a different job while I level grind my other characters? :D" (One maining a different profession up till now)

"And I can change any character to any job? :D"

"And I can keep my abilities? :D" (Btw: Do you keep ALL traits, or only those you can allocate points to? IE: do you keep the Agi + 20 trait you can get from the thief's job-specific skill set even after you change proficiencies? Can you make your priest a melee fighter from bonuses to your strength you can get from the warrior's skill set?)

"And I can grind from level 1 all over again, if I want? For every class in the game? :D"
You keep EVERYTHING from skill points, and ONLY lose "Spells". I mean that in the most literal way possible.

So yes, you could make a Half-Inching Priest who can Egg On tension!

Gravijah said:
Which weapons get OP late? Would like to... ahem. plan ahead. ;p
They all are I think. Swords may have the highest ATK, but it's more about skills. Look at GameFAQs and brainstorm over those skill lists.

Gravijah

Freyjadour said:
They all are I think. Swords may have the highest ATK, but it's more about skills. Look at GameFAQs and brainstorm over those skill lists.

YOU SAID CLAWS OUTCLASS FISTS POST GAME, STOP LYING TO MEEEEEEEEEE! ;(

Gravijah said:
YOU SAID CLAWS OUTCLASS FISTS POST GAME, STOP LYING TO MEEEEEEEEEE! ;(
Well Fists plateau at +60(100?) from skill points. You aren't equipping anything, so if a claw has more attack, it will be doing more damage. The best sword is +180 I think.

Fists are still great though. You get Multifists very early on, which hits 4 times for a total of about 2x normal attack damage.

thefil

I can't wait to get home and post pictures of my party. I really had fun coming up with random backstories for each of them.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Freyjadour said:
You keep EVERYTHING from skill points, and ONLY lose "Spells". I mean that in the most literal way possible.
logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif

logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif

logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif

logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif
logqr.gif

Liberty4all

Banned
rush777 said:
It's a tough one man, I played it halfway through then quit for 4 years, when I came back something clicked for me and I absolutely loved it and it made me a DQ series fan.(First one I played)

If you like DQ's style definitely give VII a shot, although the graphics are the worst in the series :lol

I've only ever played Dragon Warrior 1 back when I was a kid. Will I like this?

Aeana

thefil said:
That depends... did you like Dragon Warrior I?
I don't think that's a very important question. The series has changed dramatically since the first game.

I don't even like DQ1 that much.

Liberty4all

Banned
thefil said:
That depends... did you like Dragon Warrior I?

I loved Dragon Warrior 1. Mostly for the exploration aspects. Not sure though if the older me would have the patience to grind like when I was a kid. I still remember taking on these gold rock guys that dropped a shitload of gold ... way before I was a high enough level to be doing so.

Hell i barely made it alive to the town next to where those gold rock guys lived.

Yaweee

Fists have been treating my MA well. Just up to the Abbey, and it's basically free all-group attacks, higher crit, and the complete ownage of anything elemental.

Don't know if this was mentioned before. But i leveled up. and chose not to spend my 3points and saved them for later. I leveled up again and still only had 3 points to spend when I should have had 6. If you chose not to use the skill points right away, do you lose them? thanks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
rahxephon03x said:
Don't know if this was mentioned before. But i leveled up. and chose not to spend my 3points and saved them for later. I leveled up again and still only had 3 points to spend when I should have had 6. If you chose not to use the skill points right away, do you lose them? thanks.

you don't get skill points for every level up, don't worry...

thefil

You know, in a weird way I feel like the DQ games are coming out too fast - the period between releases is "just right" for me to be ready to get into a DQ adventure again, which means that I haven't had time to go back to and finish VII yet. :(

levious

why is Dragon Quest IV cheap and V so expensive? Did IV get a reprint or something?

I'm hoping that IX is successful enough to warrant reprints of IV and V. Best possible scenario for DQ here.

Also, there's a nice remake of DQ 1&2 on the SNES that had a pretty good fan trans. Try it out!

Gravijah

Freyjadour said:
I'm hoping that IX is successful enough to warrant reprints of IV and V. Best possible scenario for DQ here.

Also, there's a nice remake of DQ 1&2 on the SNES that had a pretty good fan trans. Try it out!

IX, or VI causing a reprint would be cool... But my hopes are not high. 4 copies at kmart, not even put out until I called. :/

Yaweee said:
IV didn't sell that well, so I'm guessing fewer copies of V were printed?

I also think IV had a genuine price cut down to $20, at least at Gamestop, while V never had an official price drop.

The price difference isn't all that much. You can get new copies of V for $30 online.

Where?

Yaweee

levious said:
why is Dragon Quest IV cheap and V so expensive? Did IV get a reprint or something?

I also think IV had a genuine price cut down to $20, at least at Gamestop, while V never had an official price drop.

The price difference isn't all that much. You can get new copies of V for $30 online.

levious

Yaweee said:
You can get new copies of V for $30 online.

help me out! :) Cheapest I've found is 40 new at gamestop, but have to go to the store, not available online.

levious said:
DQIV's supply overshot demand, DQV's undershot it. I wouldn't hold my breath on a reprint. Get it while it's still around retail price, I say.

Yaweee

levious said:
help me out! :) Cheapest I've found is 40 new at gamestop, but have to go to the store, not available online.

Ah, you have to go to a store? Then you're just shit out of luck, and doomed to pay more until you can start shopping online. It is a semi-rare game in that not many retail chains even ordered copies.

Do you use Gamestop's Store Availability finder? I'm a bit out into the country, and there's still a dozen copies (both New and Used) within an hour drive.

Himuro said:
Seriously, where and how do you get items like cat litter for the alchemy pot? Stealing?

Also, what's magic might and magical mending; Magic offense and magic defense?
Healing and Damage.

And yes, stealing helps, but some items like Litter don't drop until later. Some also have bad drop rates. Specifically, I easily stole litter but had a hard time getting it as a drop. Guid has no steal rates so no idea honestly.

Half-Inch pisses me off sometimes though. I had to steal 34 times on Mad Moai last night before it was successful.

levious

Yaweee said:
Ah, you have to go to a store? Then you're just shit out of luck, and doomed to pay more until you can start shopping online. It is a semi-rare game in that not many retail chains even ordered copies.

Do you use Gamestop's Store Availability finder? I'm a bit out into the country, and there's still a dozen copies (both New and Used) within an hour drive.

I didn't mean I can't shop online, just that Gamestop has it for 40, but it's "not currently available online." By "help me out" I meant hook me up with a link if you had one, thanks though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yaweee said:

:lol You don't seem to have a grasp on how much the game has gone up in price. I am sure it will come down, but take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NJMMHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Heck, the NA version is in high enough demand that its profitable to import resell the game from the UK!

The new copy at $39 is one of those UK copies, look at the cost of the others

For the person above who wants it cheap, I have one piece of actual advice. Check your Local Best Buy, and find there dump bin/section with $15 DS games. Most stores got 2 or 3 copies of Dragon Quest 5 to put into it during the Holidays (I forget if they got them during Christmas or Easter, one of those two, but thats a bit irrelevant), so its by far the cheapest place to get it, but can be a bit unreliable.

Or you could import it from the UK if you don't mind the missing V and the fat DS case.

Big One

Banned
Gyoru said:
Here's my translated material map (click for huge):
Oh god, thanks. Gonna do the other map with location names?

Also, just a question for players out there: How do you get the key to unlock prison doors? I have a feeling I jumped right over it when I got the Magic Key but I could be wrong.

Aeana

Big One said:
Oh god, thanks. Gonna do the other map with location names?

Also, just a question for players out there: How do you get the key to unlock prison doors? I have a feeling I jumped right over it when I got the Magic Key but I could be wrong.
Barred doors are opened with the final/ultimate key, which is the last key you get in all DQ games.

Top Bottom