• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just wrapped up the
Wight Knight
quest today at lunchtime... after exploring the ruined castle in the woods, I was starting to miss random encounters... enemies are all over the place and the passages are pretty tight, making it tough to avoid them.

Aeana

djtiesto said:
Just wrapped up the
Wight Knight
quest today at lunchtime... after exploring the ruined castle in the woods, I was starting to miss random encounters... enemies are all over the place and the passages are pretty tight, making it tough to avoid them.
Hooray, an ally. Long live random encounters!

There are still random encounters when you're sailing on the ship~

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Also - another question... are any of the Quests time-sensitive? Or can I go and finish them right up to the end of the main game, if I so wanted to?

chaostrophy said:
4789466770_681e590dc6_o.jpg

Heh, your martial artist looks EXACTLY like mine, except mine has brown hair (I based her off my girlfriend, lol).

Deku

Banned
Bamelin said:
Well the thing is I was considering running through the campaign completely with my wife. So I'm wondering how that will alter the experience (if at all).

edit: but is sounds like most people are playing single player only and still having a blast

It will be fun. it's no different than an MMO or PSO style experience. There's also bonuses for playing together, like higher exp per kill.

Liberty4all

Banned
Deku said:
It will be fun. it's no different than an MMO or PSO style experience. There's also bonuses for playing together, like higher exp per kill.

Both players need their own copy of the game right?

If I decide only to get one copy I can have more than one save file?

Aeana

Bamelin said:
Both players need their own copy of the game right?

If I decide only to get one copy I can have more than one save file?
Yes, and no... the game only has one save slot, stupidly enough.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright, so as to not be overconsumed by the series (9 mainline entries) and failing to get into it twice I really REALLY want to see what the hype is about.

I will NEVER play the entire series, but I might play it from this entry forward (move up to 10)

Is 9 a good starting point knowing I won't get another one until 10?

EzLink

Banned
djtiesto said:
Also - another question... are any of the Quests time-sensitive? Or can I go and finish them right up to the end of the main game, if I so wanted to?

I would like to know this too

just completed the first treasure map (one from quest).

Finished off the freaking boss with a COOP coup-de-grace (needs all 4), which was pretty epic.

lsslave said:
Alright, so as to not be overconsumed by the series (9 mainline entries) and failing to get into it twice I really REALLY want to see what the hype is about.

I will NEVER play the entire series, but I might play it from this entry forward (move up to 10)

Is 9 a good starting point knowing I won't get another one until 10?

This is a great jumping on point. I haven't played a single DQ since Dragon Warrior on NES, and I'm having a blast.

ACE 1991

Aeana said:
Yes, unless you want your party to be weak! They never leave you.
Thanks! Two quick questions. Is there a point in the game where side quests become more commonly available? I'm currently
trying to seal the contagion for the town
or am I just not looking in the right places? Also, where do I download more quests and are they more of an end game content thing?

Aeana

ACE 1991 said:
Thanks! Two quick questions. Is there a point in the game where side quests become more commonly available? I'm currently
trying to seal the contagion for the town
or am I just not looking in the right places? Also, where do I download more quests and are they more of an end game content thing?
Quests become available gradually, sometimes in earlier locations, and sometimes after solving the problem in a particular region. As for the quests, connecting to the wifi shop (which becomes available around the time the class changing system does) also downloads any released DLC quests. There aren't any available yet, although I assume the first will be released on Friday.

Mashing

Aeana said:
As an experiment, I've been playing the game without doing any grinding whatsoever, to great success. Whenever I change somebody's class, I just go right back to doing the story, or doing whatever quest I'm on, without perpetually fighting around to gain levels. 30 hours into the game, with the difficulty still feeling totally perfect, I'm becoming pretty confident in saying that, like other DQ games, 9 doesn't require any grinding either.

That's no fun. The game is over too quickly that way (but don't listen to me, I don't mind grinding--my play clock right now is over 150hours on Rogue Galaxy--a really grindy game). I have no idea what the post game content in DQIX is though, so if there's a lot of that I guess it wouldn't be a problem to blow through the plot.

Aeana

Mashing said:
That's no fun. The game is over too quickly that way (but don't listen to me, I don't mind grinding--my play clock right now is over 150hours on Rogue Galaxy--a really grindy game). I have no idea what the post game content in DQIX is though, so if there's a lot of that I guess it wouldn't be a problem to blow through the plot.
Fun for me. I hate being overleveled. Also, if I win, then I can continue telling people that DQ games don't require grinding whenever they throw that crap up.

Koomaster

Koomaster said:
*high fives back*

Here are my girls so far...

DQ9Crew.jpg

I'm thinking about making a minstrel for Sailor Venus so I'll have someone in my party using whips. I think that will fit Venus since she has the whole Venus Love Me Chain attack. ^____^
Finally got to the Abbey and changed Usagi from Minstrel to Warrior. Since I had to start back at level 1, went ahead and created new sailors to accompany me in leveling up...

DQ9Crew2.jpg

:D Once I get myself and these guys up to my old levels I will mix and match my team around to see which ones I like playing with better.

So far loving this game, I've put 15 hours in now and I can't get enough. Also the quests I'm finding are becoming more challenging. Just completed one where I had to Egg-on a party member to super high tension 5 times. Ending up earning a nice outfit from it that would take the def of one of my girls from 48->72... but it doesn't fit my theme, so I can't use it. ¬___¬

Aeana said:
Fun for me. I hate being overleveled. Also, if I win, then I can continue telling people that DQ games don't require grinding whenever they throw that crap up.
I normally go easy on the grinding, but I get really OCD in Job games and have way too much fun building parties and grinding skills. I am loving this game almost as much as I love FFT in that respect.

Cmagus

I normally do an intense grind at the start that way things come more naturally later on im not one for heavy grinding near end of game I just like to go and do side quests generally by the end but i dont want to grind for hours to do them.Like my main character was lvl 10 by time I took
Ivor to his destination at the beginning

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, anyway to change a characters name, or should I just remake them now so the sting of having there name being a typo won't be to bad :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm loving it all over again!! So awesome that I can actually real 100% now instead of just more than half. ^^

Grinding at the moment, just finished
Wight Knight.

Aeana

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, story's starting to pick up. Still nothing amazing but I wasn't expecting it to be.
It's really helpful to realize that, with the exception of DQ5, the stories in Dragon Quest games are about the journey rather than the destination. It's the little stories along the way, the people you meet, all of that stuff. The overarching story is kind of just there to help push everything forward. To me, getting wrapped up in that stuff is the best part about the series.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Himuro said:
Is it hyperbolic to say that this game has raised the standard for portable rpg quality?

P3P released a week earlier and can safely claim that crown.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Brandon F said:
P3P released a week earlier and can safely claim that crown.

If you open the field to ports and remakes it's harder to say specifically but I think this is definitely one of the better original portable RPGs made in a very long time.

botticus

Alright, went practically back to square one with my party, at least temporarily. Switched my Hero Warrior to a Mage to pick up Magic Ward, but he's ready to go back to Warrioring now. Priest has turned her back on the gods to enter a temporary life of crime - we'll see how well I do with a Thief, otherwise it's just to get some fancy skills for her. Not really feeling the Mage right now, so I'm going to send him back to Minstrel school since my Hero seemed to do pretty well with that job. And yes, he will equip a fan, because he's already wearing a feather in his hair.

Nathan the Martial Artist is the only one with the iron will to continue with his chosen profession. But where the heck do I find scarewolves? I imagine those come before bewarewolves, which I've already fought a ton of.

ACE 1991 said:
So where can I buy a wand? I want one for my Mage, but none of the weapons shops seem to carry them.
They're called staffs in stores.

Aeana

botticus said:
Nathan the Martial Artist is the only one with the iron will to continue with his chosen profession. But where the heck do I find scarewolves? I imagine those come before bewarewolves, which I've already fought a ton of.
From the west side of Dourbridge, go south and cross the bridge to find a little tiny area with scarewolves on it. Alternately, if you go out the east exit of Dourbridge, and follow the path alll the way around south and back west, you can find them north of Bloomingdale.

Hoping the AI improves. My mage (Lv12?) was pretty good until Brig', and then started using magic every round despite "Fight Wisely". Was totally tapped by the time we reached the boss. :/

Aeana

Crazymoogle said:
Hoping the AI improves. My mage (Lv12?) was pretty good until Brig', and then started using magic every round despite "Fight Wisely". Was totally tapped by the time we reached the boss. :/
I'm surprised you actually use AI! DQ AI is usually hit or miss with me.

Aeana said:

I became hopelessly addicted to AI back in DQ8 (I think it was then?). It's just not worth my time to grind through everybody's commands unless it's an important (boss) battle. TBH I almost never use herbs and rarely have to use other rare items so if the AI wants to blow MP going crazy, fine by me. It's just that earlier in the game they were using MP within reason, here and there, and not just tapping on crack or boom every round...

Cmagus

ACE 1991 said:
So where can I buy a wand? I want one for my Mage, but none of the weapons shops seem to carry them.

I didn't find any till I beat the first two dungeons after so you'll head to a town that sells a few

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
GET!

The mail came late today but it brought me a very important game! DQVI! um... Wait no not that one sadly. I got DQIX instead! This and the four other rpgs I gotta play oughta hold me over until Golden Sun & DQVI!

Aeana

ACE 1991 said:
Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first DQ game. is there anywhere I can purchase MP restoring items?
Magic water becomes available a little ways in. Later than it should have, but I forget which town first sells it.

Koomaster

Aeana said:
The game seems to be psychic/cheating when you use 'Focus on Healing' as a tactic.

If someone has a lot of HP at the start of a turn, I probably would not use a heal spell on them figuring they are fine. Then suddenly they suffer 3 attacks in a row on that turn, they are kind of boned. When I have someone 'Focus on Healing' tho, they will use an herb or a heal spell on them during that turn.

In general I like the AI, although sometimes it will go overboard on the MP usage when it's not necessary. Sometimes I will just set it to 'Don't use MP' if I see one of them abusing it. Save it for dungeons/bosses.

Aeana

Himuro said:
Where do I get garish garb? I swear I bought some or had some early in the game, but now...I don't remember where I got some and I don't have anymore and want to craft something. It's not in the shop either. Hmm.
It's sold at the Coffinwell armor shop.

Link Man

Banned
So I'm a little ways in (
just met Jona and the whale, er, Llevaithan
), and I figured I should probably post my party:

DQParty.jpg

Sykalios would be Sykaliorsa, if not for the character limit.

When I was looking through the faces, I just knew that I would have to recreate Krilin (from Dragonball, for those who don't know). In the spirit of DBZ abridged, I've made him a priest, nerfing his attack power.

Dragona is my main damage dealer, and I'm loving her. I couldn't think of a name for her, and that was the first name I came up with that seemed appropriate.

Can't wait to be able to change my job (I'm guessing it's coming soon), I want to level my Hero as a thief for a bit to get half-inch.

Oh, and I got the strategy guide. The thing is huge! I can already see myself consulting the bestiary regularly, and some of the listed accolades seem insane! And if I'm reading this right, it says that if you level a job up to level 99, you can reset the job at level 1 with the same stats. (JapanGAF, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it makes it sound as though the grottos can be obtained indefinitely without having to use tag mode, is this true?)

Anyway, looks like this game is going to be really meaty, so I'd better get cracking on it.

Aeana

Link Man, you were technically "supposed" to gain access to class changing before that scenario. The Abbey is north in the same area.

Link Man

Banned
Aeana said:
Link Man, you were technically "supposed" to gain access to class changing before that scenario. The Abbey is north in the same area.
Yeah, but the abbot wasn't in, so I started wandering around. I just figured it came after that scenario.

Aeana

Link Man said:
Yeah, but the abbot wasn't in, so I started wandering around. I just figured it came after that scenario.
You have to find him.
You need to go to the tower at the east.

Top Bottom