• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

This will be my first experience with a DQ game (however, I am a Final Fantasy nut!). I was wondering how DQIX is compared to older FF games like IV.

Is DQIX more of an open-world/sandbox environment, or is it linear with an open map like FFIV? From what I can tell, it seems to be pretty open and have a lot of side quest type stuff (hopefully). I'm looking for something that will give me a couple hundred hours of gameplay and a lot of character building/customizing/grinding.

By that description, is this (DQIX something that might enjoy? Thanks!

GaimeGuy said:
BENEVOLESSENCE
My new party:

4790233207_50aca9cbdc.jpg

Yaweee

Drkirby said:
:lol You don't seem to have a grasp on how much the game has gone up in price. I am sure it will come down, but take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NJMMHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Heck, the NA version is in high enough demand that its profitable to import resell the game from the UK!

The new copy at $39 is one of those UK copies, look at the cost of the others

Laugh all you want, jackass, but there are ways to buy the game other than Amazon affiliates. A look on Google Shopping shows numerous US stores with copies for $30~45, at least a few of which look reputable. I have my suspicions that at least one of them are selling knock-offs, but certainly not all of them.

And, like I said, there are dozens of copies at Gamestops within driving distance for MSRP or less, and that is from my perspective living out in the country. It's not such an extraordinarily rare game that there is need for the price to have shot up.

If you insist on using Amazon affiliates as some metric of actual cost, ZOMFG, Minish Cap is over one hundred dollars!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030GS80/?tag=neogaf0e-20

----
And for the guy earlier that was looking for the game:

Alternative DVD, in California, $37

Hastings, $43 New, $19 Used

Deku

Banned
mcdomination said:
This will be my first experience with a DQ game (however, I am a Final Fantasy nut!). I was wondering how DQIX is compared to older FF games like IV.

Is DQIX more of an open-world/sandbox environment, or is it linear with an open map like FFIV? From what I can tell, it seems to be pretty open and have a lot of side quest type stuff (hopefully). I'm looking for something that will give me a couple hundred hours of gameplay and a lot of character building/customizing/grinding.

By that description, is this (DQIX something that might enjoy? Thanks!

DQ starts linear then opens up. It's always been like this. If you play JRPGs, you will notice a lot of familiar conventions. And that is largely because everyone is apeing DQ.
It's classic JRPG, so expect lots of towns to explore. The big change in this title is enemies are now on screen (think Chrono Trigger) so random battles are less tedious, though enemies can be aggressive and chase you down.

DQIX is unique in that it's multiplayer centric, but also customization/exploration centric.
you can also trade treasure maps (randomly generated)

Game doesn't end when you complete the story. There's lots more to do. And it's not tacked on, like a bonus dungeon, or bestiary or something like that. It's actual in-game content, quests, new enemies etc. In that sense, it has way more replayability than a standard RPG.

Hex

Banned
How long is it before you can change class?
Just want to know should I save points or fluff up minstrel for now.

Sqorgar

Banned
Hex said:
How long is it before you can change class?
Just want to know should I save points or fluff up minstrel for now.
Maybe 10 hours or so. But the Minstrel points are specific to the Minstrel. Go ahead and spend them. They don't carry over, but the skill lines do. So spend 20 pts on Sword in Minstrel, then change to a lv 1 Warrior and you'll still have 20 pts put into Sword.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Yaweee said:
Laugh all you want, jackass, but there are ways to buy the game other than Amazon affiliates. A look on Google Shopping shows numerous US stores with copies for $30~45, at least a few of which look reputable. I have my suspicions that at least one of them are selling knock-offs, but certainly not all of them.

most of the ones on google shopping are actually out of stock if you click the links, like the alternative dvd one you posted.

Is goHastings an ok site?

Aeana

Sqorgar said:
Maybe 10 hours or so. But the Minstrel points are specific to the Minstrel. Go ahead and spend them. They don't carry over, but the skill lines do. So spend 20 pts on Sword in Minstrel, then change to a lv 1 Warrior and you'll still have 20 pts put into Sword.
Huh? Unspent points absolutely do carry over, and can be spent on another class.

bluemax

Banned
Gyoru said:
Here's my translated material map (click for huge):

Very nice, thanks!

Does anyone know how to make materials on the map regenerate? I'm guessing you have to actually power the game off which is mildly annoying.

Volcynika

Played a bit during lunch and got a quick question. (This is before you even make it to the second town)

I'm supposed to find Patty, but Erinn keeps saying it's too dangerous at her house. Can I just go there now, or do I have to talk to someone about going there? I wasn't sure if I had to sleep or something and go in the morning.

Liberty4all

Banned
How much "more" does multiplayer bring to the game?

I'm tempted to pick up another DS and extra copy of the game so my wife can play with me. But I'm second guessing myself, spending an 235 plus tax seems kind of foolish for just one game.

edit; Also does the game have the "over this bridge shit gets real" thing I remember from part 1, where every crossing a bridge basically means you better be ready because you are about to get your ass kicked.

Aeana

Volcynika said:
Played a bit during lunch and got a quick question. (This is before you even make it to the second town)

I'm supposed to find Patty, but Erinn keeps saying it's too dangerous at her house. Can I just go there now, or do I have to talk to someone about going there? I wasn't sure if I had to sleep or something and go in the morning.
When someone tells you it's too dangerous, that means to get your butt in there and save the day!

Finished the Wight Knight section last night. Love this game so much.

Edit:
hero1.png

Made the picture small so its extremely poor quality isn't as apparant. My DS being a launch one and my camera being not that great make for crappy picture taking :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
toythatkills said:
My new party:

4790233207_50aca9cbdc.jpg
You, sir, are awesome.

Also, I forgot to mention, but I didn't realize until about 10 hours into the game:

Edwinn
Erinn

It was a "mind blown" moment for sure

Oli

I'm really tempted to buy this game, since I've been after a new RPG for awhile now. I'm a bit hesitant since it would be my entering point into the series, barring Rocket Slime.

But then again, FFXIII was my entry point into FF, and I loved it. Soooo, should I just go for it? My main concern at this point is the grinding, since I don't like grinding, but I may be willing to overlook it if the game is just good.

Sqorgar said:
Really? I guess I never kept any unspent points around...
Bah! Been trying so hard to keep people straight on points and you go and confuse them again! :lol

And yes Hastings is reputable, they are a bookstore that sells a lot of other stuff with brick and mortar locations around the US.

Tiktaalik

It's a shame that the touch controls aren't a little bit better because it's so close but just a little bit off.

The implementation for world movement at first seems good, but if falls apart and gets awkward when you have to travel very small differences. The style of movement in the Zelda games, where your avatar moves toward the point you press on the screen is much better suited to small movements and I think that's the best design for touch screen movement.

With touch screen battles there's simply too much double clicking for it to be superiour or even at the same level as the button controls. Likely the double clicks were a guard against accidentally clicking on the wrong option, as all the clickable text is very small. In this area I would have liked to see them redesign the interface to be more akin to the larger, "can't miss" buttons of the Pokemon games. This way it would not be that necessary to have double clicks and battles would be much more playable with just stylus control.

As it is I'll be playing through the game with the buttons, which is brisk and generally good. My only gripe is that running around the 3D world on a diagonal with the DSi's D-Pad is a little bit awkward.

Ricker

Second real early Boss
White Knight
kind of kicked my ass but I was level 10,still a Minstrel and formed a party of a Female Warrior,male Mage and female Priest,who where only level 7 by then...some medicine herbs where in the bag,so they weren`t showing for the 3 others in my party and I decided to equip a whip on my Mage but he barely does damage with it(what`s her name in DQVIII was awesome with a whip,I want someone to be good like she was in this game with one hehe)...so yeah,grinding a bit now till I fight him again and fixing my crap up right now hehe...love the game.

Aeana said:
When someone tells you it's too dangerous, that means to get your butt in there and save the day!

And see, I had thought the same thing, do I take someone with me or what, but I just went there and did it :lol Thought I was going to be severely underleveled.

Yaweee said:

And, like I said, there are dozens of copies at Gamestops within driving distance for MSRP or less, and that is from my perspective living out in the country. It's not such an extraordinarily rare game that there is need for the price to have shot up.

If you insist on using Amazon affiliates as some metric of actual cost, ZOMFG, Minish Cap is over one hundred dollars!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030GS80/?tag=neogaf0e-20

----
And for the guy earlier that was looking for the game:

Alternative DVD, in California, $37

Hastings, $43 New, $19 Used

I'm not sure how reliable the GS in-store stock is. I've been to at least two of the stores listed nearby recently that allegedly have them in stock right now and have never seen it available. (I may actually check one or two of them on the way home, though.) And I've been keeping an eye out for DQ5 every time I'm in a game store for months. So either there's been a recent influx of copies or the store tracker is bunk.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe how beautiful this game is! AHHHH! It's crazy, the DS has never looked so good!

Tiktaalik said:
It's a shame that the touch controls aren't a little bit better because it's so close but just a little bit off.

The implementation for world movement at first seems good, but if falls apart and gets awkward when you have to travel very small differences. The style of movement in the Zelda games, where your avatar moves toward the point you press on the screen is much better suited to small movements and I think that's the best design for touch screen movement.

With touch screen battles there's simply too much double clicking for it to be superiour or even at the same level as the button controls. Likely the double clicks were a guard against accidentally clicking on the wrong option, as all the clickable text is very small. In this area I would have liked to see them redesign the interface to be more akin to the larger, "can't miss" buttons of the Pokemon games. This way it would not be that necessary to have double clicks and battles would be much more playable with just stylus control.

As it is I'll be playing through the game with the buttons, which is brisk and generally good. My only gripe is that running around the 3D world on a diagonal with the DSi's D-Pad is a little bit awkward.

I totally agree with everything here

Foxix Von

I just beat the first two bosses
wight knight resolution is awesome :(

Just out of curiosity though do the bosses ever become more challenging? I'm feeling like they're really easy right now.

Cmagus

Ok so I am not that far in but these are my characters so far.

My party is
Warrior -Eight lvl 15
Warrior -Tapion lvl 9 (dragonball reference I know)
Mage -Maya lvl 9 (had the 3D app open couldn't think of a name)
Martial Artist - Marron lvl 8

02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

If your wondering why my main guy name is Eight ever since the DRagon quest 8 demo where the main characters name was Eight for some reason it just always stuck with me as dumb as that sounds but i normally name my main DQ char Eight.

Foxix said:
I just beat the first two bosses
wight knight resolution is awesome :(

Just out of curiosity though do the bosses ever become more challenging? I'm feeling like they're really easy right now.
If you've ever played a DQ, this isn't much different. Starts easy and builds. Battles are definitely getting more challenging where I am, but you also have to remember that when you take time to grind skills and what not you are grinding. This is easy and fun to do in DQIX, so it will affect the difficulty level.

Aeana

As an experiment, I've been playing the game without doing any grinding whatsoever, to great success. Whenever I change somebody's class, I just go right back to doing the story, or doing whatever quest I'm on, without perpetually fighting around to gain levels. 30 hours into the game, with the difficulty still feeling totally perfect, I'm becoming pretty confident in saying that, like other DQ games, 9 doesn't require any grinding either.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cmagus said:
If your wondering why my main guy name is Eight ever since the DRagon quest 8 demo where the main characters name was Eight for some reason it just always stuck with me as dumb as that sounds but i normally name my main DQ char Eight.

I bet we all knew right away :)

Yaweee

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I'm not sure how reliable the GS in-store stock is. I've been to at least two of the stores listed nearby recently that allegedly have them in stock right now and have never seen it available. (I may actually check one or two of them on the way home, though.) And I've been keeping an eye out for DQ5 every time I'm in a game store for months. So either there's been a recent influx of copies or the store tracker is bunk.

I'm pretty sure the online system is linked to the inventory management, and is updated once a day. I'd recommend calling before you head there; it is possible that there's an error in the system, or the game is sold before you get there, but I'm having a hard time imagining the pages filled with copies in the the online tracker are all bunk.

Instro

Got me a copy yesterday, up to the part where I can start making my party but I am waffling with my design and name choices :lol

Im planning to get a mage, priest, and either a martial artist or thief. Which would serve me better, the thief or the MA? Also where is the best place to go to get these guys leveled up before I go fight this Wight Knight fellow?

Foxix Von

Freyjadour said:
If you've ever played a DQ, this isn't much different. Starts easy and builds. Battles are definitely getting more challenging where I am, but you also have to remember that when you take time to grind skills and what not you are grinding. This is easy and fun to do in DQIX, so it will affect the difficulty level.

Ah good to hear, this is actually my first Dragon Quest game. Really, really in love with it so far. I know it's nothing like it but I kind of get a Tales of Symphonia vibe which is a good thing since I absolutely plowed through that game.

In other news I just realized that whips work sort of like guns in Phantasy Star. I kept wondering why the damage seemed so low :lol

Cmagus

Instro said:
Got me a copy yesterday, up to the part where I can start making my party but I am waffling with my design and name choices :lol

Im planning to get a mage, priest, and either a martial artist or thief. Which would serve me better, the thief or the MA? Also where is the best place to go to get these guys leveled up before I go fight this Wight Knight fellow?

I am surprised how strong the martial artist is my martial artist is a much lower level then my main character but seems to do almost the same amount of damage

Aeana

Martial artist is worth leveling at least a little for all of your characters, as you get psyche up for 16 points into their focus line. Yay tension!

botticus

Cmagus said:
I am surprised how strong the martial artist is my martial artist is a much lower level then my main character but seems to do almost the same amount of damage
Yeah, just need to keep in mind that your main is a Minstrel. While still a handful of levels behind as a Warrior now, I'm starting to catch up in damage dealt.

Aeana said:
Martial artist is worth leveling at least a little for all of your characters, as you get psyche up for 16 points into their focus line. Yay tension!

Pfft, I want this game's equivalent of the Tambriel of Tension,
the Bard's secret skill

Just got DQIX yesterday and I have DQV still sealed from about seven months ago.

I want to get on IX but I feel that I should get on V first. Probably doesn't matter.

Deku

Banned
Bamelin said:
How much "more" does multiplayer bring to the game?

It's local multiplayer. so if no one you know players, it doesn't mean much.

Tag mode is also situational stateside (though this is had been a pokemon level phenom in Japan with tons of people using it), but could be fun if there are other people broadcasting their maps and so on. I suspect both tag and multiplayer will be big draws if you attend conventions and gatherings where gamers get together. I suppose the school yard also qualifies.

The most useful online option is probably the wifi shopping, which allows you to pick up rare items via an online store setup by the developers.

Liberty4all

Banned
Deku said:

Tag mode is also situational stateside (though this is had been a pokemon level phenom in Japan with tons of people using it), but could be fun if there are other people broadcasting their maps and so on. I suspect both tag and multiplayer will be big draws if you attend conventions and gatherings where gamers get together. I suppose the school yard also qualifies.

The most useful online option is probably the wifi shopping, which allows you to pick up rare items via an online store setup by the developers.

Well the thing is I was considering running through the campaign completely with my wife. So I'm wondering how that will alter the experience (if at all).

edit: but is sounds like most people are playing single player only and still having a blast

Aeana

Himuro said:
oh my god this quest is beyond annoying. I have to HOPE that my warrior does 3 damage to the metal slime so that my mage can kill it with the final blow. Last fight, my warrior hit it for 3 hp and winded up KILLING IT. wtf 4 hp please, wtf.
I responded to you elsewhere, but I guess you didn't see it. One thing you can do is switch your warrior to mage, get 8 skill points and learn wizard ward, and then switch him/her back to warrior. Then they can do the quest instead of your mage, using metal slash. Or you can switch your mage to warrior, and teach metal slash, and do it that way.

Also, yeah, monsters in DQ games have slightly random HP. A metal slime will have anywhere from 2 to 4 HP.

ACE 1991

I Asked this before, but should I be treating my other 3 created party members as essentially extensions of myself, gearing them as I would the main character?

Aeana

ACE 1991 said:
I Asked this before, but should I be treating my other 3 created party members as essentially extensions of myself, gearing them as I would the main character?
Yes, unless you want your party to be weak! They never leave you.

Foxix Von

Deku said:

Yeah I just remembered PAX isn't too far off now. There will be much win I'm sure. Last year there were so many conflicting DS signals it was almost impossible to connect to anyone :lol

I'm considering buying the guide, does anyone that has it have any impressions? The last time I used one was for Mass Effect and it was downright terrible. The quest section was a complete jumble and almost impossible to find particular missions, assuming they were even listed in the guide. Blagh.

Top Bottom