• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Stencil said:
So
Wight Knight
was totally kicking my ass but then as I read through the topic a bit, I realized, I should have had a full party. I was fighting him with just my main guy. Made some characters and totally killed him. I've got a male Warrior, female Priest and female Mage.

When can I change my main char.'s job from a Menstral?

Oh, just wait till later in the month.

slayn said:
What I'm doing, and I could very well be horribly wrong, is I figure over the course of the game without any grinding I will get to make use of at most 3 skills. So for each character, I just picked the 3 things I want them to focus on.

This is what I've picked, and I'm comitting to it:
Axe, Shield, Gladiator
Claws, Thief, Ranger
Wand, Mage, Sage
Bow, Cleric, Sage
spoilered since it contains stuff I looked up in a faq and I don't know if its common knowledge what is available.
Don't think you need to spoiler those.

Anyway, Gladiators can't use shields, unless you're going 100 Shield for omni.

Einbroch

Banned
I am completely hooked on this game...I can't set it down! The last game to have it's claws in me this deep was Tales of Vesperia.

Seeds

Is there any info on the characters on the boxart? Height etc.

Everytime I play a game in which I create my own character I find myself disliking the characters a few hours into the game and end up starting over.

as stupid as that may sound...

Vamphuntr

Finally received it yesterday. Played a lot since I have a lot of free time these days. Pretty good game overall. I just beat the
stone gargoyle boss
. I like the feel of exploration you get since you have to explore a bit before reaching each areas. I don't like the class system much though. Is there a way to know what the skills does before investing points in them. I don't like the quests you have to do to unlock the new classes. They are annoying, frustrating and time consuming. The metal slime one with the Wizard Ward was awful. I love the fact that there are so many pieces of equipments and each have a different appearance.

The game is pretty easy in the main story so far. The only difficult part are the treasures maps. Are they scaled to you or are they completely random? I cleared one easily but the boss of the second one was way too hard for my level (the black horse thing).

My party so far MC as a thief (didn't like the ministrel) lvl 16
a priest level 21
a mage level 21
a martial artist level 22

EzLink

Banned
Excellent! Amazon apparently decided to do me a solid and deliver this game today instead of tomorrow

Can you edit your supporting characters (name and appearance) after creating them? If not then I'll probably end up spending way too long stuck on the character creation part

Can't wait to start it up tonight! My first DQ game ever, and my first turn based rpg (other than pokemon) in a looooong time

Eteric Rice

I love this game but my OCD is getting in the way of my enjoyment.

Basically, playing a game with stats and classes that are permanent is hard for me. I've kind of always been like this. >_<

Vamphuntr

EzLink said:
Excellent! Amazon apparently decided to do me a solid and deliver this game today instead of tomorrow

Can you edit your supporting characters (name and appearance) after creating them? If not then I'll probably end up spending way too long stuck on the character creation part

You create your teammates after the prologue. Once you choose their appearances, I think it's forever. You can change everyone class about 12 hours in.

Stencil said:
Do you have to steal it or will they drop it eventually?

Thanks.

I'm actually pretty sure Alchemy opens up when you beat the Wight Knight quest.

KeioSquad2 said:
Are there hidden classes? How do you unlock the hero class in this game? Is it the same as other DQ's?

There are hidden vocations. You have to do quests to unlock them though. There is no Hero vocation.

ACE 1991

Fucking shit. I turned off my ds, forgetting that the quick saves were merely temporAry and rolled back my save about 5 hours. I'm tempted to just put this one away...

botticus

In case anyone's curious, the DS Lite can only last in tag mode between 6 and 12 hours (battery died somewhere between). :lol

Luckily I didn't get any tags after 6 hours, so I doubt any accumulated where I went in the following 6.

Okay one last "hold my hand" question before I'm off on my own. I have my beginning party of Minstrel, Martial Artist, Priest, and Mage.

What in your opinion is the "best" thing I can be putting my skill points into for these classes, especially as far as weapons are concerned?

Oh and I ordered the guide from Amazon, they finally have it in stock.

Oli

ACE 1991 said:
Fucking shit. I turned off my ds, forgetting that the quick saves were merely temporAry and rolled back my save about 5 hours. I'm tempted to just put this one away...

I did the same thing on one of my Pokemon games once. Just head back in, turn down the volume, and get to it. You'll actually find that you can better decisions the second time around.

Teknoman

If/when you unlock an omniskill for certain equipment, will all the past skill bonuses and learned attacks be passed along as well?

Aeana

Some of the weapon-specific quests are nuts. :(
Kill 3 slime medleys with Pressure Pointer? (._. )

Teknoman said:
If/when you unlock an omniskill for certain equipment, will all the past skill bonuses and learned attacks be passed along as well?

Yes.

epmode

Teknoman said:
Is there any reason they wouldn't be? If your class can equip a weapon, you always get the associated skills, regardless of which class you used to unlock the skills.

Shouta

Himuro said:
It's just that it's odd you don't like DQ8 when DQ9 basically has charm of DQ8 in portable form. Though it is faster.

I personally think DQ9 has none of the charm of DQ8. =|

Gravijah

ACE 1991 said:

Shit, there's a reason I save at EVERY SINGLE SAVE POINT in games.

botticus said:
In case anyone's curious, the DS Lite can only last in tag mode between 6 and 12 hours (battery died somewhere between). :lol

Luckily I didn't get any tags after 6 hours, so I doubt any accumulated where I went in the following 6.
dude, if there is one game worth the retread, this is the one.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost 18 hours of progress on DQ7 cause my memory card screwed up and had to start over. SO glad I did.

Salsa

15n21p0.jpg

About 15 hours in. No party, playing with a friend.

Man, i got my martial artist to level 28 in just a couple of hours. Once you learn the 4-hit attack with the claws, best thing you can do is just stay grinding with metal slimes.

Deku

Banned
Himuro said:
Man...this game has a ridiculous amount of content. I haven't really touched the story in two days. Ever since I've unlocked Alltrades Abbey's ability to change vocations, I've been leveling vocations, getting new skills, exploring the world for alchemy supplies, crafting, filling my bestiary, doing quests...

I think it's amazing that I'm a little over 20 hours into a Dragon Quest game and I have yet to receive a vehicle or thief key. I mean, especially the thief key.

My gf, spent most of her time shopping and creating clothes/playing with me on wifi.

It's really incredibly deep and accessible at the same time.

Vamphuntr

Himuro said:
I think it's amazing that I'm a little over 20 hours into a Dragon Quest game and I have yet to receive a vehicle or thief key. I mean, especially the thief key.

I played for only 14 hours and have the thief key. It's not acquired via the story.

Big One

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I played for only 14 hours and have the thief key. It's not acquired via the story.
Uhh, what? :lol Yeah it is. It's the Magic Key that's not acquired during the story. You can't get the final key (aka unlock prison doors) till a certain story event.

Also...
don't tell me the Gittish Empire is the final area, is it? I need to get a flying transport!

Also, aren't mini-medals pretty much infinite in this game?

Vamphuntr

Himuro said:
Its a drop.

Pretty sure you can get it by stealing also. Monsters seem to drop a common item and a rare item. You get to steal one of the two. For example the weird baboons drops either a magical hide or a superior medecines. I was able to steal sometimes the former, sometime the latter.

Vamphuntr

Big One said:
Uhh, what? :lol Yeah it is. It's the Magic Key that's not acquired during the story. You can't get the final key (aka unlock prison doors) till a certain story event.

Also, aren't mini-medals pretty much infinite in this game?

You don't have to go speak with the medal guy to complete the game so no it's not.

Ok, a guy wants me to get some Hocus Chimera feathers. I'm not sure how to go about collecting these. Do I just go fight Hocus Chimeras or...
Wait. He said
they were popular with girls
, so maybe I'm supposed to go talk to
girls around town
?

Himuro said:
It's just that it's odd you don't like DQ8 when DQ9 basically has charm of DQ8 in portable form. Though it is faster.
Ehn, I'm another one who doesn't especially like DQ8 but loves DQ9. DQ9 is probably my third-favourite of the series, while DQ8 is my second-least-favourite.

Shouta

Himuro said:
I think DQ8's charm stems from the crazy monsters, like jail cat, and the great localization. All that is here. The only problem is that your party isn't as animated as the cast in DQ8, who are all extremely colorful characters. But the vignettes in DQ9 make up for that in spades.

DQ8's charm is totally in the characters and the progression in the story and how each of the elements kind of work well with what's going on in the overall sense, at least for me. DQ9's story is just kind of there and lack luster for me. The stories don't feel interesting and the there isn't the cast to fall back on. Just doesn't feel like the the adventure the previous DQs are. I'm the exact opposite of Segata, I rank DQ8 pretty high and I rank DQ9 fairly low.

Six hours in, and
just finished beating Lleviathan
. I have to say, the localisation is absolutely fantastic. I never thought I'd see germanic meter and alliteration in a videogame. Also
Lleviathan
? Brilliant.

Anyway, characters:

zosia.jpg

darek.jpg

kana.jpg

garsvald.jpg

I have to admit, I've not upgraded armour due to vanity. Except for Garsvald's Gooey Gear which was +23 to defence over any other thing he can have equipped. :S

Shouta said:
DQ8's charm is totally in the characters and the progression in the story and how each of the elements kind of work well with what's going on in the overall sense, at least for me. DQ9's story is just kind of there and lack luster for me. The stories don't feel interesting and the there isn't the cast to fall back on. Just doesn't feel like the the adventure the previous DQs are. I'm the exact opposite of Segata, I rank DQ8 pretty high and I rank DQ9 fairly low.

good to know, i'll be definitely skipping this now.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, you're skipping a game that has a ton of favourable impressions because of one bad one?

i've read many impressions before, even in this thread, believe it or not.

but since i liked DQ VIII approx as much as Shouta did, i'm gonna miss the parts which made the previous game fun.

This is my first time playing more than 2 hours into a DQ game, I'm in love with it. I'm 5 hours in and loving every second, these is easily one of my favorite games of 2010, and I'm usually an all PS3 gamer.

Aeana

Augemitbutter said:
i've read many impressions before, even in this thread, believe it or not.

but since i liked DQ VIII approx as much as Shouta did, i'm gonna miss the parts which made the previous game fun.
I'm sure plenty of people who like 9 like 8.

Like me. 8 is one of my higher-tier DQ games, and I like 9 a lot, too.

Top Bottom